Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Despite seeing him in many things, Constantine will forever be George Edward Mulch from three episodes of Remington Steele to me, but I enjoyed him in pretty much every one of his roles I saw.  Dying at home at 94 is a great end, but of course his loved ones are still devastated.

• Love 7

Oddly enough, my mom and I had just been talking about Constantine this past weekend. She was talking about how much she liked him on "Room 222", and that led us to reading up more on him and his work in general online. 

Sad news. 94's a good run, though. 

• Love 18

The cause of death released for this young man.  I think the original story is upthread. I really wonder why drug dealers are lacing the drugs they sell with Fentanyl.  It kills people easily. Why do they want to kill their paying clients?  I would think it would be bad for business to sell such a lethal product.  I just don’t understand why they don’t abandon this trend.  Eventually, they will have no customers. 

https://people.com/tv/logan-williams-the-flash-died-of-accidental-fentanyl-overdose-coroner-confirms/

Here’s another case….three comedians including Fuquan Johnson, died from accidental Fentanyl overdose.  Kate Quigley, also a comedian, survived.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/09/09/kate-quigley-healing-on-the-mend-after-overdose-death-of-friends/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The cause of death released for this young man.  I think the original story is upthread. I really wonder why drug dealers are lacing the drugs they sell with Fentanyl.  It kills people easily. Why do they want to kill their paying clients?  I would think it would be bad for business to sell such a lethal product.  I just don’t understand why they don’t abandon this trend.  Eventually, they will have no customers. 

https://people.com/tv/logan-williams-the-flash-died-of-accidental-fentanyl-overdose-coroner-confirms/

Here’s another case….three comedians including Fuquan Johnson, died from accidental Fentanyl overdose.  Kate Quigley, also a comedian, survived.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/09/09/kate-quigley-healing-on-the-mend-after-overdose-death-of-friends/

That's a kid! He's just 16! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if it’s more of the Fentanyl overdoses.  It’s very widespread right now.  Very scary.  

I think it is the Fentanyl in other drugs that is the real problem.

It is all so sad, upsetting and concerning.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I think it is the Fentanyl in other drugs that is the real problem.

It is all so sad, upsetting and concerning.

Right. Unsuspecting people buy these drugs thinking they are one thing, like pain pills or cocaine, but it’s laced with Fentanyl.  It’s such a poor decision by the drug dealers to do that to people. It’s difficult to imagine.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
On 9/9/2021 at 1:50 PM, MissAlmond said:

It should be noted that he worked until quite recently despite having broken his neck and injured his spinal cord a bad fall in 1989 from a ladder while doing chores in own house that resulted in paralysis- although he was eventually able to walk short distances with crutches.

On a less serious note I can't help but think that Mr. Metrano was relieved that more folks remembered him from Police Academy than his participation in Joanie Loves Chachi (1982-1983), in which he played Chachi's Uncle Rico who was closest thing to a foil in the series. Still, considering that he was the only character on the show that didn't worship the above named  duo, his character  was somewhat a breath of fresh air.  And, yes, I thought he  as well as Ellen Travolta and Al Molinaro  deserved a better venue to display their talents than that show.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 9
On 9/10/2021 at 6:49 AM, Blergh said:

I can't help but think that Mr. Metrano was relieved that more folks remembered him from Police Academy than his participation in Joanie Loves Chachi (1982-1983), in which he played Chachi's Uncle Rico who was closest thing to a foil in the series. Still, considering that he was the only character on the show that didn't worship the above named  duo, his character  was somewhat a breath of fresh air.

Quoting the best line in the pilot:

Louisa [Ellen Travolta] : "Rico thinks of himself as the head of the family.  The rest of us DON'T!"

Seriously, I'm more likely to remember him from the Police Academy films too!  His look after his eyebrows are burned off is hilarious!!  He was a decent antagonist in those films.

image.png.52a342d2799e9dd134ed4fb110aeece1.png

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 7

Longtime journalist and news anchor Allison Payne, who spent 21 years--1990-2011-- at WGN-TV in Chicago--with many of those years as co-anchor of the WGN News at Nine--died on September 1st at the age of 57; it did not become public until last night. The cause of death has not been revealed.

Full disclosure: I wrote Allison a letter when I was almost 14, as at the time, I had some interest in journalism--and she sent me the loveliest note back shortly thereafter. My career path ultimately went in another direction, but I will always remember that she took the time out of her busy schedule to write me back and answer my questions--and the thing is, I'm not even from Chicago; WGN News at Nine was broadcast nationwide for many years, so her influence was felt far past the Windy City.

RIP, Allison.

• Love 1

Founder of the Newport Jazz and Newport Folk Festivals George Wein dead at 95. He basically created the modern music festival.

Wein, who was also a musician himself, lived a life most jazz fans dream about. He knew the giants and innovators by their first names. At the very first Newport Jazz Festival, Wein arranged a reunion between saxophonist Lester Young and singer Billie Holiday. The two former collaborators hadn't spoken for years....Their reunion wasn't recorded, but the festival next year was. Wein booked Miles Davis to play at a time when the trumpeter was on the ropes. The performance jump started Davis' career....And Newport made history. In 1963, Baez introduced a young Bob Dylan to his largest national audience at the time. And just two years later, Dylan broke with folk purists and went electric — at Newport.

11 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

That is unexpected. I remember him from some MTV gameshow when they still played music videos. RIP.

I may be confusing him with someone else who went onto SNL. Still a shock.

Colin Quinn was on Remote Control and followed Norm as Weekend Update anchor. 

I'm pretty shocked about Norm. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

What the hell is going on with the random deaths?  First Michael now Norm!!  I feel he was one of those comedians people really loved or hated.  People will always remember what Alec Baldwin did with Donald Trump but Norm's Bob Dole was just as iconic.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

Norm Macdonald Dies: Influential Comedian & Former ‘SNL’ Weekend Update Anchor Was 61

Another shocker.  R.I.P. Mr. Macdonald.

1 hour ago, kittykat said:

but Norm's Bob Dole was just as iconic.

Bob Dole thought so too!

• Love 16

Probably my favorite Norm Macdonald joke, excepting of course you guessed it, Frank Stallone:

“And the number one band in America this week... Better Than Ezra.

And at number two... Ezra.”

R.I.P Norm, may you be tormenting Don Ohlmeyer in the afterlife.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • LOL 18
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Huh.  I thought Bob Dole was dead.  I wonder who I'm mixing him up with.

Yes, Bob Dole is still alive.  He's 98 years old.  Perhaps you're mixing him up with former Secretary of State George Shultz who died earlier this year at 100.  Since I don't want to be deemed "political" I'll stop my guessing with him.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Colin Quinn was on Remote Control and followed Norm as Weekend Update anchor. 

I'm pretty shocked about Norm. 

I think everyone is shocked.  According to the stories, he battled cancer privately for almost 10 years and many of his friends and family were unaware of his illness. 

• Love 2

"Well, it is finally official - MURDER is legal in the state of California."

--Norm on Weekend Update after the OJ Simpson verdict was announced.

RIP! 

Edited by UYI
  • LOL 2
  • Love 20

I haven't seen much of his work, but I liked him hosting "Weekend Update" on SNL. I like to quote his "Germans love David Hasselhoff" thing sometimes, particularly whenever Hasselhoff is mentioned or pops up on TV somewhere :p. 

So sad to hear he'd been battling cancer for so long. This news is shocking as it is, but to see how young he was as well, that just makes it sadder. May he rest in peace. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 16

Norm MacDonald said something incredibly stupid about the MeToo movement, bemoaned what his buddies Roseanne Barr and Louis C.K. had "gone through" (in losing gigs because of their own repulsive actions), and said if the women who were uncomfortable during C.K.'s surprise set at the Comedy Store were given $200 compensation, they "could buy some nice shoes" and "get through the trauma".

That being my most-recent experience with him, it tends to overshadow the comedy memories, but some of his impressions and stand-up sets back in the day indeed had me cracking up (I hadn't seen him on anything in quite some time).  He had a bit about a gruesome "the devil made me do it" prank that was funny solely because of his delivery. 

I hope he was happy with his choice to battle cancer with hardly anyone aware what he was going through; good for him doing it the way he thought best.  Sixty one is too damn young.

• Useful 5
  • Love 10

I’ll always regret that he got fired before he and the real Burt Reynolds could do a Celebrity Jeopardy skit together. That would have been so awesome. 

But I can’t think of a more noble way to get fired than mercilessly ripping on OJ:

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 20
13 hours ago, basiltherat said:

RIP to "Turd Ferguson" -- Hope Norm has fun with Trebek and Connery in heaven!

And Burt, too.  Who loved his SNL parody.

I was never a fan of Norm’s, but his Bob Dole & Burt ‘Turd’ Ferguson were iconic.  SNL Jeopardy was his skit idea.

10 years is a long time to suffer w/cancer.  I hope he’s at peace now.

”Who is Andre the Giant?”

• Love 10

Popples that was the first number I thought of when I heard the news. Some of her movies were a bit cheesy for me but I always loved her — so much spunk! Trying to remember if any of the other MGM musical stars are still with us…

• Love 11

R.I.P  Jane Powell. I'm in total agreement that as much as I enjoyed her in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers , her How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Loved You When You Know I've Been A Liar All My Life? duet with Fred Astaire is my absolute favorite.  How could it not be with a song title that great?  

1 hour ago, Popples said:

My absolute favorite number with her:

• Love 8