Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

Jerry Remy  Red Sox player and broadcaster died today due to cancer. He also played for the Angels.

43 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

Jerry Remy  Red Sox player and broadcaster died today due to cancer. He also played for the Angels.

He and Don Orsillo were the best baseball announcing team IMO. Rip Remy.

• Love 3
On 11/2/2021 at 8:04 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

This is very sad news. Miguel Mena, Churchill Downs jockey killed.   There seems to be a lot of incidences of pedestrians being hit and killed lately.  He was so young too.

Too many drivers aren't checking even when the signal says "Walk" and instead act as if pedestrians don't exist.   Be careful out there folks!  

R.I.P. Mr. Mena.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Also was a very popular child actor of the 1940s who worked with legends like Elsa Lanchester, Reginald Owen, etc. The only former 1940s child star who is still around is the legendary Margaret O'Brien! He was one f the main actors in the original Secret Garden, which was made in the 40s and featured Margaret O'Brien, too.

Edited by letter8358
  • Useful 5
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Dean Stockwell Dies: ‘Quantum Leap’ Star Was 85

Sad news about Dean Stockwell.   Loved him in Quantum LeapMarried to the Mob and his murderous turn in Compulsion.  While I always seem to miss The Boy with the Green Hair from Stockwell's child acting days, I do have a vague memory of Home, Sweet Homicide which for some reason was aired a lot in the after school hours of my own childhood.  R.I.P. Mr. Stockwell.  

• Love 9

So sad to hear of Stockwell's passing!  He was in so many projects over the years and one of the few child actors who was able to grow into his own as an accomplished adult actor.  He'll always be Al to me (from Quantum Leap) but it's fun to watch old TV shows from the 60s and 70s and see him as a fledgling adult actor.

Godspeed Mr. Stockwell!

• Love 12

Dean Stockwell was so memorably gruff and eccentric as Al on Quantum Leap, and he got to co-star with the likes of Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, and Katherine Hepburn!

Did you know his dad was the voice of the prince in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?

• Useful 12
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, letter8358 said:

Also was a very popular child actor of the 1940s who worked with legends like Elsa Lanchester, Reginald Owen, etc.

Including Myrna Loy and William Powell, as he played their son in the sixth and final Thin Man film.

I didn't watch Quantum Leap, so to me he's Cavil from Battlestar Galactica, who I found to be the show's best villain, largely due to his performance.  His delivery of the "I don't want to be human!" speech was terrific:

• Love 12
45 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

This was particularly nice to learn about him:

Having been a famous child actor, he had a soft spot for every young actor who came on our set. He was very protective of their rights and safety and always checked in with them to make sure that they were ok. His big hearted response to the kids made all of us take notice and be better guardians ourselves.

• Love 16

Was just looking it up and saw that he was also on a couple "Twilight Zone" episodes - one from the '60s version and one from the '80s version. So that's neat. He had quite an impressive resume - so many roles to choose from for people to remember him for :). 

• Love 9

Scott Bakula always used to say that some of the more ahead-of-its time topics Quantum Leap tackled (racism, homophobia...etc.) were thanks to Dean Stockwell. It's why it's one of the few sci fi shows I really enjoy because of that human and empathetic angle.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 5
  • Love 14

I really liked Quantum Leap.  Dean Stockwell was so good in it; he and Scott Bakula were great together.  

Wow, every time I turn around it seems that another actor from one of my favorite shows is gone - Norman Lloyd, Frank Bonner, Gregory Sierra, Ed Asner, Markie Post, Peter Scolari  . . . 

10 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Jerry Douglas as John Abbott was an imposing figure during the glory days of The Young and the Restless.

I was once a loyal Y&R viewer and was thrilled they re-aired old episodes during lockdown after new ones had been exhausted.  Jerry Douglas as John Abbott was indeed an imposing figure and steady presence on the show.  R.I.P. Mr. Douglas. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's off-putting the way that article centers Berry rather than Calhoun.

On the other hand the only reason this man's death made the news is because of his connection with Berry.  I thought it was nice to learn that she hadn't forgotten him and contributed to the gofundme his mother organized.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

On the other hand the only reason this man's death made the news is because of his connection with Berry.  I thought it was nice to learn that she hadn't forgotten him and contributed to the gofundme his mother organized.

Yes, his role in the film is why his death is reported in entertainment media, and of course her contribution would be noted.  But she shouldn't be the focus; it opens with a slideshow about Berry's post-Oscar career, then has a proper opening sentence about Calhoun's death, then goes right back to her.  Even just ditching the slideshow would make a huge difference, as that basically describes the Deadline obituary, which comes across a lot better.

• Love 9

Actor Gavan O'Herlihy who played "disappeared brother" Chuck Cunningham on Happy Days and murderer Dan Suggs on the miniseries Lonesome Dove has died, age 70.  

https://deadline.com/2021/11/gavan-oherlihy-dead-obituary-actor-happy-days-chuck-cunningham-1234873162/

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/gavan-oherlihy-dead-dies-happy-days-chuck-cunningham-1235111188/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/gavan-oherlihy-dead-happy-days-missing-big-brother-1235047063/

Edited by MissAlmond
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

He’s probably the most famous character that was mysteriously dropped from a series after the first season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Grahaem Edge, a founding member & drummer for the Moody Blues has passed away at age 80.  No cause given.

The Moody Blues is one of my favorite groups.   This news saddens me.  RIP Mr. Edge

• Love 1

I never really watched Happy Days but am familiar with the Chuck Cunningham Syndrome trope. So, I never realized before today that Dan from Lonesome Dove was Chuck Cunningham. He was pretty chilling in LD. "Dan's feeling bloody today, ain't he?" 

• Useful 4
57 minutes ago, Zella said:

I never really watched Happy Days but am familiar with the Chuck Cunningham Syndrome trope. So, I never realized before today that Dan from Lonesome Dove was Chuck Cunningham. He was pretty chilling in LD. "Dan's feeling bloody today, ain't he?" 

He played another memorable villain in Death Wish 3.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Bestselling author Wilbur Smith dies aged 88.

The Zambian-born writer published 49 books and sold more than 140 million copies worldwide.

His 1964 debut novel When the Lion Feeds, the tale of a young man growing up on a South African cattle ranch, became an instant bestseller and led to 15 sequels, tracing an ambitious family’s fortunes for more than 200 years.

His bestselling Courtney Series was the longest running in publishing history, spanning generations and three centuries, “through critical periods from the dawn of colonial Africa to the American Civil War, and to the apartheid era in South Africa”, said his publisher.

His books have been translated into around 30 languages and several made into films, including Shout at the Devil with Lee Marvin and Roger Moore in 1976.

Edited by Hiyo