Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, AstaCharles said:

My favorite entrance was when  he appeared on Happy Days : the Fonz and Richie are about to fight some tough guys in the school gym.  Carmine comes in as backup , and he's singing and dancing - the bad guys laugh at him. Then  Fonzie points out that Carmine was a boxer too .

Whats better was that it was actually Richie who told them Carmine was a former Golden Gloves champ. I like that they were acquaintances. When Richie wants Fonz to let him and Potsie and Ralph to fight instead Carmine gives him an encouraging "Go get 'em tiger!"

• Love 6

I found this clip on YT from L&S.  I'd never seen it before (and I watched the show even when it was first run), so it must have been clipped from syndication at some point.  It features the main cast singing, "Milwaukee Moon".  Of course, Eddie gets to do a little singing a dancing. 

As a bonus, here's a promo from about a year ago from Me-TV with Cyndi Williams and Eddie Mekka :

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, magicdog said:

I found this clip on YT from L&S.  I'd never seen it before (and I watched the show even when it was first run), so it must have been clipped from syndication at some point.  It features the main cast singing, "Milwaukee Moon".  Of course, Eddie gets to do a little singing a dancing. 

Absolutely delightful! I'm sorry it was cut. It deserves to be seen.

• Love 6

So are Shirley & Lenny the only two left from the original (Milwaukee years) characters of Laverne & Shirley?  The only recurring minor character I can think of is Big Rosie Greenbaum.  I don’t recall seeing any of their neighbors or co-workers more than 2-3 times.
 I would have thought Eddie Mekka was older than 69; that means he is only 14 years older than me.  Damn, I’m getting old.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Regarding the passing of Arlene Dahl: She had her own line of beauty products. She also was the mother of actor Lorenzo Lamas, from her marriage to the late actor/director Fernando Lamas. Lorenzo is best known from the CBS series Falcon Crest. That had a long run following Dallas on Friday nights. He then starred in a successful syndicated series, which I think was called Renegade. As far as I know, he seems to have fallen into obscurity since that series ended.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 12/3/2021 at 9:23 AM, Llywela said:

Veteran actor Sir Antony Sher has died of cancer aged 72. Sher was born in South Africa but spent most of his career in England, where he was a much-loved stalwart of the Royal Shakespeare Company.

This is a big loss. I saw him twice at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, once as Falstaff and once as King Lear. I also bought two of his books, The Year of the Fat Knight and The Year of the Mad King. Highly recommended for anyone interested in Shakespearean acting.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Only two of those actors are still alive now; Michael McKean (Lenny) 74 yrs old, and Cindy Williams (Shirley) 74 yrs old.

Michael McKean! He’s died in so many things I’ve seen him in that I actually thought he was no longer with us. Good news!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Not really a celebrity death, but Nic Cannon’s 5 month old son died of a brain tumor on Sunday.  Zen Scott Campbell.  His mother is model Alyssa Scott.

Omg, I can't imagine. My heart goes out to Nick and Alyssa. 

5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Robbie Shakespeare, of Sly and Robbie fame, dies at age 68.

Robbie Shakespeare, acclaimed bassist and record producer, has died at the age of 68. The Jamaican Grammy-winning artist was part of the duo Sly and Robbie with Sly Dunbar, and worked with such artists as Madonna, Grace Jones, Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, The Rolling Stones, Sting, Serge Gainsbourg, and Britney Spears.

Absolute legend. 

• Love 3

Steve Bronski: co-founder of Bronski Beat dies aged 61.

Bronski formed the trailblazing gay pop trio with Jimmy Somerville and Larry Steinbachek, which had hits in the 80s including Smalltown Boy.

Bronski, AKA Steven Forrest, formed the band alongside Jimmy Somerville and Larry Steinbachek in 1983. All three members of the band were out as gay and sought to counter what they perceived as the inoffensive nature of the era’s gay performers by embracing explicitly political themes in their music. America’s Spin magazine described them as “perhaps the first real gay group in the history of pop”

50 minutes ago, Domestic Assassin said:

RIP Michael Nesmith

Noooooo!  I can't believe this.  Damn.  I loved him in The Monkees and he also wrote one of my favourite songs "Different Drum" made famous by Linda Ronstadt singing with Stone Poneys.

We've lost some wonderful people from the world of entertainment this year but this one is really hitting me hard.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

So sad to hear about Nesmith. My mom, sister, and I just saw him and Micky together last month up in Minneapolis. He still sounded great. 

Rest in peace, Mike :(. 

There was an episode in which all the other three Monkees got snatched- which left Micky singing 'Hey! Hey! I'm the Monkee!' solo. In less than a decade, the three of them are gone! YIKES!

BTW, let's not forget that his mother Bette was the inventor of Liquid Paper! 

RIP, Mr. Nesmith!

• Love 16
12 minutes ago, Blergh said:

BTW, let's not forget that his mother Bette was the inventor of Liquid Paper! 

I was watching a show about the rise of MTV a few weeks ago and Mike Nesmith was interviewed because of his connection with PopClips and it was mentioned there that he inherited a small fortune from his mother which enabled him to move into production and make himself another small fortune.  I was so glad for him that his career, while diverted, didn't end up being only a Mike from The Monkees career.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Mickey Dolenz is the only surviving Monkee.

Decades ago, Micky used to joke about who would be "the last".  

When Peter chose to leave, the band recorded two albums as a trio (and made appearances in commercials and TV shows).  Then Mike pulled out.

Peter and Mike had bought out their contract from Columbia/Screen Gems and Micky and Davy were left to record.  To complete their contractual obligations, they recorded what is considered their weakest album, Changes.  Micky commented that they'd keep recording until one of them was "The Monkee".  

Looks like he truly is just that.

RIP Nishwash!  Errr, Nesmith!

31 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

he also wrote one of my favourite songs "Different Drum"

I liked DD, but there were many other tunes he wrote I liked almost as much.  He also did a great take on "Girl I Knew From Somewhere", Circle Sky (which got a grunge update on their Justus album), and a lost gem on Missing Links collections, "I Don't Think You Know Me" and "I Won't be The Same Without Her" (Instant Replay album). 

What always bugged me was I never had the timing to see all 4 on stage together! I saw Davy, Peter and Micky for many performances, and saw them as a trio with Mike when Davy died.  It had been tossed around that Mike and Micky should have created an act with the surviving Beatles and do something special as a tribute to both groups.  Sadly, even that cannot be.

I hope TV Land, Antenna TV or MeTV does a marathon or retrospective.

ETA:

They deserved to be in the R&R Hall Of Fame!  I was hoping they'd get in someday before all of them passed.

Edited by magicdog
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 12/10/2021 at 1:54 PM, Fool to cry said:

He was the coolest. His screen test for the Monkees is great. Also loved seeing him show up in the video of the Beatles' A Day in the Life where they were filming the orchestra part and all these celebrities were there.

I recall that screen test. Not only did he come in to the audition wearing a wool hat (since he'd had no motorcycle helmet)  but he also had a brace-like apparatus that held a harmonica  up to his neck ('like Bob Dylan', he admitted).  While no doubt having his character Mike almost constantly be wearing a wool hat (and his character getting called 'Wool Hat' for the pilot) for the first season must have gotten Mr. Nesmith to regret having worn it to the audition but I'd like to think he was relieved that they didn't try to insist he ALSO wear the harmonica brace while in character! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 8

Was not expecting that.The Monkees were a central part of my childhood. Mike's death hurts. My friends and I used to play being the band and used improvised "instruments". The drum was a footstool, it's possible one guitar was a plunger.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, magicdog said:

What always bugged me was I never had the timing to see all 4 on stage together!

The first concert I ever attended was to see The Monkees (in the late '60s).  It took some last minute begging to get my mother to buy tickets and to take me (I was a wee young'un and couldn't go by myself) so we were in the nosebleed section.  I still have a couple of black and white photos of four tiny ants playing instruments on stage.  I don't remember much about it, but I'm sure I had a good time.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 14
Just now, Vermicious Knid said:

My niece, who is now 13, was given an iPad by her parents young. At 10 she discovered her new favorite show, at the time, because The Monkees was available on Youtube. Still gaining new fans all these years later.

Oh, that's cool :D. 

I remember watching the show all the time with my mom when I was little, back when they were showing reruns on TV in the '80s. And there was a video store here in town we'd go to where we'd rent compilations of their episodes and watch them all the time, too. There was no way I was going to grow up in my house and NOT know who the Monkees were, thanks to my mom :p. 

• Love 12

Learning about the death of another Monkee was jarring.  Man….I was a kid when they came out and I was a huge fan. (My older cousin introduced me to them and sadly she passed away a year ago in November.)  I knew the words to all their songs, watched the show…….so, this is so sad.  I am very grateful for all those good memories.  I still have a few original albums that I’m going to play tonight in tribute to Michael.  RIP Michael.💓💐

• Love 13
6 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Just announced. Wow.

She is one of my absolute favorite horror writers. I immensely enjoyed the the Witch and Vampire series she wrote. I knew she was getting up in age but wasn’t aware she was having health issues. 

May she R.I.P.

• Love 8

Anne Rice this is like a punch in the gut. I know she was 80 but still I gasped when I heard the news. I was obsessed with The Vampire Chronicles as a kid. She really helped and set up the hot Vampire trope. I am forever grateful for that. Without ther who knows where the Vampire genre would be. Yes we had a few stuff before her like Barnabas on Dark Shadows who hated being a Vampire but she really took things to the next level.  Rest in Peace Anne Rice.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Larry Sellers, Actor on ‘Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman,’ Dies at 72.

The Emmy-nominated actor played Cloud Dancing for five years on the CBS Western. Sellers, an actor and stuntman of Osage, Cherokee and Lakota descent, appeared in film and TV roles in Life Goes On, Lightning Jack, Wayne’s World II, Beverly Hills, 90210, Crazy Horse and The Sopranos.

Oh, that stinks. I always liked Cloud Dancing.

• Love 3