Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

I've seen this movie several times but not recently and I can't remember the character of  "Little Violet Bick" at all! Time to watch it again clearly!  On the passing of the actress, it was nice to read that she left show business and made a career for herself as a psychologist.  I do feel sorry for child actors who can't move on from their early fame and are miserable because of it but it's so nice to hear about those who managed to get on with their lives and, hopefully, had a good time along the way.

Violet Bick was the town trollop who got money from George to leave town after some sort of scandal.  She ended up donating it back and deciding to stay in Bedford Falls at the end.  There is a scene early in the film featuring child actors playing Violet, Mary and George at the soda fountain in Mr. Gower's drugstore.  So, that young actress was 'Little Violet Bick'.

Unlike the poster above, I have seen this film virtually every year since I was a kid more than 50 years ago.

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

Unlike the poster above, I have seen this film virtually every year since I was a kid more than 50 years ago.

Yeah I've watched it every Christmas Eve for years! 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I've seen this movie several times but not recently and I can't remember the character of  "Little Violet Bick" at all! Time to watch it again clearly!  On the passing of the actress, it was nice to read that she left show business and made a career for herself as a psychologist.  I do feel sorry for child actors who can't move on from their early fame and are miserable because of it but it's so nice to hear about those who managed to get on with their lives and, hopefully, had a good time along the way.

Maybe this scene will help. Love this movie!

• Love 5

Been meaning to share this - Betty White was also on an episode of "Community" once, and I found a video highlighting clips of her scenes:

And of course, this memorable bit at the end, with her hanging out with Troy and Abed:

• Love 16
On 12/31/2021 at 2:54 PM, Bastet said:

Keep an eye on your PBS station, as they may re-air their Betty White documentary (Betty White: First Lady of Television).  Actually, it might be on Netflix, too.  It's a charming retrospective on her career. 

FYI, for those who want to watch this (It's worth it!), it will only be on Netflix until January 11th.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:33 PM, argrow said:

I love Sue Ann, and i love Rose Nylund, but i feel the urge to watch Password, Pyramid and Match Game episodes that feature Betty. The wit and brilliance of Betty White in game shows are truly unparalleled.

Same! I was happy to discover that Password Plus and some Match Game are on Amazon Prime Video! 

• Useful 7
  • Love 7

Pimp Daddy. 

Heh, I think Max Julien and Ron O'Neal (Superfly) pretty much had the pimp daddy thing covered for the entire blaxploitation film era. They both oozed charisma with their long, permed hair, lol.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5

Richard Leakey, paleoanthropologist dies at 77

It was reading an article about him (possibly written by him) in National Geographic years ago that piqued my interest in this field of study.  Eventually I realized it was not for me as a profession but I've followed his career, and others in the field ever since.   On another note I remember when he was young and cute and made being a paleontologist look cool!

5 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Richard Leakey, paleoanthropologist dies at 77

When I was a kid we used to be taught about his dad's work in the field.  Weird hearing of his son's passing now. RIP.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, AgentRXS said:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/betty-white-last-words-vicki-lawrence_n_61d39221e4b04b42ab76d215/amp

How sweet if this is true. I truly hope she got to see her husband after 40 years and they are enjoying their afterlife together. 

Her agent said she died in her sleep.  No mention of anyone being with her or any last words. He declined to confirm or deny Lawrence's story which makes me think it isn't true but, since she was a friend of Betty's, he's not going  to call her out.

"Betty died peacefully in her sleep at her home."

The call to the authorities was made at around 9 AM Pacific time which makes me think she did indeed die in her sleep and someone found her in the morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/betty-white-died-of-natural-causes-not-covid-booster-complications-says-agent-her-death-should-not-be-politicized/ar-AASoSj9?ocid=uxbndlbing

'

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
On 1/4/2022 at 2:54 PM, Rootbeer said:

Her agent said she died in her sleep.  No mention of anyone being with her or any last words. He declined to confirm or deny Lawrence's story which makes me think it isn't true but, since she was a friend of Betty's, he's not going  to call her out.

"Betty died peacefully in her sleep at her home."

The call to the authorities was made at around 9 AM Pacific time which makes me think she did indeed die in her sleep and someone found her in the morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/betty-white-died-of-natural-causes-not-covid-booster-complications-says-agent-her-death-should-not-be-politicized/ar-AASoSj9?ocid=uxbndlbing

'

Her assistant mentioned that, first thing every morning and last thing at night Betty would blow a kiss to Allen's picture on the bedside table and say good morning/good night. If she wished him good night as usual it's possible that she both died in her sleep and her final word was Allen.

• Useful 4
  • Love 14

Perhaps since Miss White had gotten way up in years, her loved ones talked her into having one of those devises that used vocal commands for her to turn on lights, play music that depended on her saying the devise name. If said devise was still on, maybe it recorded EVERYthing she said in her home and from that Miss Lawrence somehow was able to find out that Miss White's last word  that she might have said while she was asleep in a dream was her late husband Mr. Ludden's given name of Allen. Just a theory.

BTW, her agent denied that she is to be buried next to him in Wisconsin.

Mr. Ludden was buried  in 1981 near his biological father Elmer Dale  Ellsworth who died at age 26 of  complications from the 1918 Influenza on January 6,1919  (on his wife Leila's 24th birthday) when his only son was just 15 months old. Although his widow   would remarry a Homer Jameson Ludden and the latter would adopt and bestow his surname to Allen when the boy was about five, it seems that Mr. Ludden ultimately wanted to be near the father he had few if any memories of.  BTW, Lelia Allen Ellsworth Ludden would live to the age of 91- surviving to 1986 (having outlived both of her husbands and their only son). 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/betty-white-had-wish-her-224243463.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/25461367/elmer-dale-ellsworth

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/173123461/leila-matilda-ellsworth_ludden

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/1925/allen-ludden

• Useful 9
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, roamyn said:

Why do none of 5hese tributes have Betty in them?

They were released before she died. 

5 hours ago, Dani said:

They were released before she died. 

Oh, okay.  I thought they were just released.

The people who do this should wait until early Jan, as many celebs die on Dec 31st.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

The people who do this should wait until early Jan, as many celebs die on Dec 31st.

End of year tributes liker TCM Remembers and IMDB In Memoriam are designed to run several times in December, the last month of the year.  Most people don't expect or looking for end of year tributes in January, the first month.  With today's technology, they've gotten much better at making last minute additions.  However, at some point they have to go with what they have. Betty White will be in the 2022 In Memoriam's

Award show tributes are different. They're run whenever said awards are presented.  Betty White will most certainly be in this year's Primetime Emmy In Memoriam because they're awarded in September.  But they too can run into the same issue.  What if the Emmys airs and ends by 10:00 pm only for a major industry figure to die at 11:00?  Like with the end of year tributes, the person will be included the following year.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

This Hollywood Reporter obituary chronicles Peter's Bogdanovich's remarkable life quite well.  I did not know the following:

Bogdanovich was writing film criticism and feature articles for Esquire and other publications when he was encouraged by director Frank Tashlin to move to Hollywood, so he and Platt, whom he married in 1962, drove across the country.

There, he met Roger Corman, who knew him from his Esquire pieces, and the famed producer put him to work on the Peter Fonda biker flick The Wild Angels (1966). He wound up rewriting the screenplay and directing the end of the movie. The film, which cost about $360,000, grossed $15 million and was Corman’s most successful moneymaker to that point.

Two years later, backed by Corman, Bogdanovich wrote, directed and appeared in his first film, Targets, which starred Boris Karloff, who owed Corman two shooting days. The picture, about a sniper who takes aim at a drive-in crowd, was inspired by Charles Whitman, who killed more than a dozen people at the University of Texas in August 1966.

• Useful 4

Peter Bogdanovich was one of the most arrogant men in Hollywood, which is really saying something.  But I always found it interesting that, as significantly flawed a husband/boyfriend he was, several of his exes remained close friends with him for the rest of his life. 

I like a lot of his films, and I love how much he loved movies; I enjoyed listening to his commentaries.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Peter Bogdanovich passed. There is a lot of my early exposure to TV and movies tied up with this one.

I know he directed some great movies.  For whatever reason though, the main thing tied to  Bogdanovich in my brain is that he and Dorothy Stratten were lovers.  She moved into his house and told her husband Paul that she was leaving him because she was in love with Bogdanovich.  

• Love 2

Damn! 2021 started with Cicely Tyson, ended with Betty White, and 2022 immediately came for Sidney. We are losing all our legends. They were all blessed with great success and longevity, though.

RIP Sidney.  Thank you for running so that so many others could walk.  You will never be forgotten.

• Love 11