Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Fool to cry said:

"Be My Baby" is an all-time classic and I love in the 80s how Eddie Money got her to be in his song "Take Me Home Tonight" and the video.

I love both those songs so much!

She had a terrific voice.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Geez, 2022, slow the hell down. 

May she rest in peace. 

2022 may rival 2016, at the rate it’s going.

And I second the RIP.  Aft all she’d been though in her life, she deserves it.

• Love 11

Yes, it's very sad that Ms. Spector is no more.

However, she WAS evidently happily married to her manager Jonathan Greenfield from 1982 onward   whose arms she was in when she left this world and they have two sons so she DID have a fulfilling life after having had to endure what happened with the late Mr. Spector. I hope now her widower and all her sons find their peace.  Oh, and it was thoughtful of her to request monies be donated to local women's shelters and American Indian College Fund  instead of flowers. RIP, Ms. Spector. 

https://people.com/music/ronnie-spector-ronettes-dead/

• Love 22

I think about "Bates Motel" when I hear that song now, 'cause it was used as the soundtrack to a rather unsettling moment in one of that show's season finales. 

But yeah, I've always loved that song, too. It's a classic :). 

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Someone can tell filthy jokes and still be very kind. They are not mutually exclusive.

Some of the kindest people I know have dark humor and filthy mouths. I've also known some incredibly cruel people who won't utter a single curse word. 

• Love 18

Ronnie Spector was Rock n' Roll royalty!

Even as a teen when "Take Me Home Tonight" came out, we all knew about her legacy even then! 

RIP - may you enjoy singing in Heaven's Rock n' Roll Band!! 

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Be My Baby is a great song, one I usually tend to associate with Moonlighting.

Even though I'd loved the song long before that, Maddie and David's long-awaited consummation became my primary association; even though the relationship was written in a profoundly shitty way after that (thus leading to the erroneous "Moonlighting Curse", as if having the main characters hook up, not fucking with every single aspect of them as characters and as a couple afterward, was the problem), which pisses me off to this day, I still smile every time I hear the opening beats of that song not just out of general joy, but specifically in memory of that scene.

• Love 11

I remember distinctly watching the “Pop Up Video” version of the Take Me Home Tonight video. They mentioned in one of the blurbs that the behind the scenes crew was excited to meet and work with the music video’s star….and it wasn’t Eddie Money lol. The shade but seriously though…no disrespect to Mr. Money but I’d be fangurling all over Ronnie too.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Yes, it's very sad that Ms. Spector is no more.

However, she WAS evidently happily married to her manager Jonathan Greenfield from 1982 onward   whose arms she was in when she left this world and they have two sons so she DID have a fulfilling life after having had to endure what happened with the late Mr. Spector. I hope now her widower and all her sons find their peace.  Oh, and it was thoughtful of her to request monies be donated to local women's shelters and American Indian College Fund  instead of flowers. RIP, Ms. Spector. 

https://people.com/music/ronnie-spector-ronettes-dead/

Thank you for sharing that. I knew she was very well liked, but I had no idea about this which I am quoting from the link:

"Her family asked that in lieu of flowers, and per Spector's request, donations be made to local women's shelters or to the American Indian College Fund. They also noted that a celebration of her life will and music will be announced in the future."

What a class act. 

• Love 17
44 minutes ago, MissT said:

I always remember the opening credits to Dirty Dancing when I hear "Be My Little Baby". 

Yes, that’s what pops into my head when I think of that song.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Someone can tell filthy jokes and still be very kind. They are not mutually exclusive.

Yes, of course, someone can tell filthy jokes and still be kind.  What was disturbing to me was that that particular joke involved children.  That's not filthy; it's sick.   

• Love 9

A fun nice performance of Take Me Home Tonight. When you read about how Eddie wanted Ronnie Spector on the song, he really does convey that here. Good move on both their parts, as it really helped out both of their careers at the time.

• Love 15

Vicar of Dibley actor Gary Waldhorn dies aged 78.

Gary Waldhorn has died “peacefully” at the age of 78, his family has said. Waldhorn, who appeared in many classic British TV shows, such as The Sweeney, Brush Strokes and Hotel Babylon, died on Monday morning, January 10th. Waldhorn, who also featured in the comedy sketch show French and Saunders, played the bullish councillor David Horton in every episode of the much-loved sitcom The Vicar of Dibley from 1994 to 2007. He most recently appeared in a Christmas special, The Vicar of Dibley in Lockdown.

Edited by Hiyo

Ron Goulart, science fiction and mystery author, has died just after his 89th birthday.

I was familiar with him more for his nonfiction books, especially the ones he wrote about the comic book industry, although I have read some of his short fiction, both mysteries and SF/F.

He also wrote for TV, including Monsters, Welcome to Paradox, and Thundercats.

http://file770.com/ron-goulart-1933-2022/

• Love 2

Betty Blue director Jean-Jacques Beineix dies aged 75.

The French film director Jean-Jacques Beineix died on Thursday at the age of 75, his family told Agence France Presse on Friday. Beineix came to prominence with his first film, Diva, in 1980, and achieved wider international fame in 1986 with the movie Betty Blue, starring Jean-Hugues Anglade and Beatrice Dalle. The erotic drama was nominated for best foreign language film at the Oscars and became the eighth highest grossing film of the year in France.

Beineix was seen a pioneer of the French “cinéma du look” that was later embraced by Luc Besson. “Cinema should do more than just feed people with ready-made, easily recognizable products,” he said to the Los Angeles Times in 1994. “I expect more.”

Edited by Hiyo
On 1/13/2022 at 1:28 AM, Hiyo said:

Be My Baby is a great song, one I usually tend to associate with Moonlighting.

Chile, yes!  Outside of my neat-freakness yelling when David was pushing over the furniture and knickknacks, that was a very hot scene.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Singer Fred Parris who led and wrote The Five Satins In the Still of the Night has died, age 85.

How sad!  I grew up in NY and the legendary oldies station, 101.1FM used to play vintage top 40 lists (from various years, from the mid 50s to the early 70s) and this song used to turn up as number one many times!  New Yorkers voted it their favorite do-w** song of the 50s.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, magicdog said:

How sad!  I grew up in NY and the legendary oldies station, 101.1FM used to play vintage top 40 lists (from various years, from the mid 50s to the early 70s) and this song used to turn up as number one many times!  New Yorkers voted it their favorite do-w** song of the 50s.

Funny, I just heard that song earlier when I came across the oldies Music Choice channel. It's a great song, indeed. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

One of the best "blue lights in the basement" songs ever.

R.I.P., Mr. Parris

• Love 6

Nino Cerruti, pioneer of men’s ready-to-wear fashion, dies aged 91.

Cerruti was one of the leading figures in men’s ready-to-wear fashion in the 20th century, with a style that was at once elegant and relaxed. His Cerruti 1881 brand became renowned and in his heyday he dressed many a Hollywood star.

Cerruti’s ranges could be seen in cinema, where he designed clothes for films including Bonnie and Clyde, Pretty Woman, and Basic Instinct. Leading figures in cinema such as Michael Douglas, Sharon Stone, Julia Roberts, and Harrison Ford were seen wearing Cerruti items. He later took on the role of official designer for Ferrari in the mid-1990s.

• Useful 1

Does anyone else a) still get an actual Sunday paper, and b) get the Parade magazine supplement? Today’s featured Betty White on the cover, and the first paragraph of the feature story talks about her parents: “Little did they realize their only child would grow up to be the hilarious First Lady of television with an amazing decades-spanning career — and live to see her 100th birthday.”

Goodness! I know these things are prepared in advance but they had more than two weeks!  Surely that shouldn’t have happened!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Does anyone else a) still get an actual Sunday paper, and b) get the Parade magazine supplement? Today’s featured Betty White on the cover, and the first paragraph of the feature story talks about her parents: “Little did they realize their only child would grow up to be the hilarious First Lady of television with an amazing decades-spanning career — and live to see her 100th birthday.”

Goodness! I know these things are prepared in advance but they had more than two weeks!  Surely that shouldn’t have happened!

I do, and I thought the same thing.  At least they could have added one line near the headline explaining that it was written in advance.  Until I read the article, though, I thought it was just a nice tribute.  

• Love 9

I got and read the Parade front page cover and the article within. Despite Miss White having died on December 31st and the supplement having been printed on January 16th, they made not a single attempt to edit either the front page or any part of the article within to indicate that Miss White had died shortly before actually living to see her centennial birthday. IOW, if someone had been living under a rock/ in  a space capsule for the last 18 days and just happened to see that particular supplement, they'd literally have zero idea that Miss White is no longer in this world!  BIG FAIL, Parade (and to all the local papers that didn't make any attempt to add any kind of disclaimer [e.g. 'Enclosed within today's Sunday paper is the January 16,2022 Parade magazine which was composed far in advance to celebrate Betty White's 100th Birthday that was to have occurred on January 17,2022 and made no attempt to  add  to their issue the sad fact that Miss White had died December 31,2021. We apologize to our readers for any possible misunderstandings that may have arisen from the unaltered magazine within.'])

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I got and read the Parade front page cover and the article within. Despite Miss White having died on December 31st and the supplement having been printed on January 16th, they made not a single attempt to edit either the front page or any part of the article within to indicate that Miss White had died shortly before actually living to see her centennial birthday. IOW, if someone had been living under a rock/ in  a space capsule for the last 18 days and just happened to see that particular supplement, they'd literally have zero idea that Miss White is no longer in this world!  BIG FAIL, Parade (and to all the local papers that didn't make any attempt to add any kind of disclaimer [e.g. 'Enclosed within today's Sunday paper is the January 16,2022 Parade magazine which was written  far in advance to celebrate Betty White's 100th Birthday that was to have occured on January 17,2022 and made no attempt to  add the sad fact that Miss White had died December 31,2021. We apologize to our readers for any possible misunderstandings that may have arisen from the unaltered magazine within.')

I did some googling after I saw it, and it looks like several local papers (mine was not one of them) printed a notice similar to what you're describing.  And not to give cut anyone too much slack, but the supplement was most certainly printed well before January 16.  I'm just shocked that it was printed so far in advance, and there was no way to adjust in the last 16 days.  I know it's mainly celebrity fluff articles, but that business model is sure to bite you at some point. 

Parade, please don't plan any stories on Dick Van Dyke.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

On a related note, my mom had MeTV on today, and my sister caught a bit of the "Full House" block they were airing in tribute to Bob Saget. She said, "I wonder if this channel's starting to be like, 'Can people please stop dying, it's getting depressing doing all these tribute blocks.'"

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I did some googling after I saw it, and it looks like several local papers (mine was not one of them) printed a notice similar to what you're describing.  And not to give cut anyone too much slack, but the supplement was most certainly printed well before January 16.  I'm just shocked that it was printed so far in advance, and there was no way to adjust in the last 16 days.  I know it's mainly celebrity fluff articles, but that business model is sure to bite you at some point. 

I'm thinking, it's printed well in advance like our store ads are, and sent to the newspapers a couple weeks ahead.  In our case we have to throw away some ad stickers due to prices changes in the intervening weeks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

I'm thinking, it's printed well in advance like our store ads are, and sent to the newspapers a couple weeks ahead.  In our case we have to throw away some ad stickers due to prices changes in the intervening weeks.

Oh I'm sure they are, it just seems like with celebrities, so much can change in a couple of weeks.  Not just death, but breakups, scandals...  If People magazine can have a Bob Saget Memorial edition in my mailbox less than a week after his death, seems like Parade can come up with a better plan.  (And don't ask.  It just started showing up in my mailbox.  I never subscribed and the best I can tell, it wasn't a gift from someone.)

• Love 6

IMO, in this age of instant info  and composing all forms of printed media on 'puters, there's no excuse for Parade to have not attempted to shoehorn  in the 18 days from her death to its publication, the words.'Betty White died on December 31,2021- after the bulk of the article had been written.'    

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Is anyone watching the movie special today?

I had planned to, but the stupid snowstorm closed the theaters.  No idea if they're going to show it another time, and I can't find a local phone number for them.

• Love 3