Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Dolly Parton wrote a very touching tribute  on Twitter to him-   rather upset over losing a longtime friend and colleague- especially via the affliction.  RIP, Mr. Pride.

• Love 12

Didn’t they mention the “intervention” letter Tony Hsieh got from the multitalented, but mostly singer, Jewel? I’d say that had attribution with it.

The Jewel letter was published in an article in Forbes, which I actually linked days ago. So that was already widely and publicly available information. She/He/Them(?) made a bunch of statements that were not backed up, including claiming the house where he died was owned by his girlfriend. Also, people write whatever they want online, without being sued all the time. Libel and slander are actually very, very difficult to prove in court. People almost never sue, and when they do 99% of the time it fails.

This one actually made me cry. 65 year old retired school teacher Olpha Selepe of South Africa always wanted to record and release a pop song. Everyone told her not to, so she did it in secret and released it anyway. Became a huge viral hit and got to number one on iTunes South Africa. But she was only able to enjoy her fame for a short time. Just a few weeks later, she tested positive for Covid-19, and died within days.

Charley Pride has such a great voice.  My mother - who wasn’t a big country music fan - loved his music.  Him and Charlie Rich.  They were big at the same time.

RIP Sir.  I’m glad you finally got your recognition due you, before you passed away.

• Love 11

I cried when I saw the news about Charley Pride.

When my now husband and I were dating we lived in different states.   We texted A LOT.   We would send each other songs that reminded each of us of the other.   One of the ones he sent me was "Kiss an Angel Good Morning."   

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I cried when I saw the news about Charley Pride.

When my now husband and I were dating we lived in different states.   We texted A LOT.   We would send each other songs that reminded each of us of the other.   One of the ones he sent me was "Kiss an Angel Good Morning."   

It reminds of us the mortality of ourselves and our loved ones when the voices that we identify with key moments of our youth are silenced. 😢

• Love 5

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold is one of the great spy stories. As much as I love the escapist fantasy of James Bond, I also am enthralled by the darker, cynical, more realistic world of espionage depicted by Le Carre.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

My father thinks he saw that two science fiction writers died recently, Ben Bova and someone else. If he's not remembering wrong, I can't find it. Although I did see that Vonda McIntyre died in 2019 which I wasn't aware of, and a few who died earlier this year I had forgotten. Anyone know who it might be?

11 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Perhaps he would have enjoyed that his name was a clue in this morning’s NY Times crossword puzzle? I like to think so. My father would have. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And she did have great chemistry with Albert Finley.

Yes they did.  Reinking and Finley brought a sweet tenderness to the quiet scenes between Grace and Daddy Warbucks.  R.I.P. Ms. Reinking.  

• Love 5
14 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I first knew her from ANNIE too. Then years later I saw ALL THAT JAZZ:

Totally gutted by this.

Ms. Reinking was sexy AF, her dancing and choreography skills were brilliant and those piercing blue eyes!!

All That Jazz is one of my fave musicals....the two clips above (especially They'll Be Some Changes Made) are badass!

Also loved her in Annie, particularly the dance number with Geoffrey Holder as Punjab.

Rest well, lovely lady and a hearty FUCK YOU, 2020!!

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have really never been a musical theater buff.  I remember her from a Cosby episode, and other television roles.

giphy.gif

She was great in that! She played Robert Culp's wife. It was a reunion for the I SPY co-stars Culp and Cosby. Culp played Cliff Huxtable's old Navy buddy "Scott Kelly"(the name taken from their old characters). We find out Scott had a near fatal heart attack a while ago. Reinkan had a very good scene with Claire where she talked about how she wasn't prepared to deal with the finances and legal matters in case he died.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

John Prine named Artist of the Year at the Americana Awards.

...this award acknowledges the music he was still making up until his final illness, as well as the powerful presence he maintained in Americana circles. Prine's classic songs shed light on the vulnerability and defiant resilience of ordinary, often lonely souls, and this win is particularly poignant coming in the middle of a pandemic that has taken the lives of so many

Edited by Vermicious Knid
  • Love 13
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This link has a summary bio with photo on each celebrity that died in 2020 so far.  I didn’t count them, but as I scrolled through, there seemed to be a lot who died due to covid -19.   
https://people.com/celebrity/stars-who-died-2020/?slide=7756195#7756195

Thank you for posting this.  The earlier deaths feel like they happened in another lifetime.  In a way I guess they did.  

• Love 9
On 12/17/2020 at 4:45 AM, Blergh said:

A heart attack at 28?! Unless he'd had a history of heart problems and/or experiencing extreme stress/trauma, it's rather startling that this would happen to someone so young!

Drugs?

17 minutes ago, roseha said:

I remember reading her mother's book about her when I was growing up.   Inspiring person, and the same can be said for her family of course.

I am incredibly saddened by this.  Fitting somehow that someone like Karen, a fighter who surmounted so much in her life, would end up dying in 2020.  Because, of course.  

Edited by WinnieWinkle
52 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Chad Stuart of Chad and Jeremy died from Covid related illness:

2020 totally sucks.  I remember seeing them on the old Dick Van Dyke Show as "The Redcoats".  Loved them then and still have some of their songs on one of my classic playlists.  So sad.

• Love 8

FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU 2020!!!

As if still mourning the badass that was Ann Reinking wasn't enough...

One of the baddest female country singers of the 80s has passed away....K.T. Oslin.

Hold Me is my favorite track, I also loved Mary and Willie and of course 80s Ladies.

Unfortunately, she caught Covid a week before she died, plus she had Parkinson's.

Fuck.  Rest in power, beautiful lady!

NO!!  '80s Ladies is a fucking anthem I still jam to today.  (For it, of all songs - celebrating women "of a certain age" - to result in a woman finally winning Song of the Year at the CMA Awards was so gratifying!)  I love many of her other songs, too.

I also love her response to being told by a radio programmer the station wouldn't play her song "Younger Men" because it would be offensive to male listeners.  She asked if they played "Don't the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time" and upon confirmation asked, "You don't think that's offensive to female listeners?"  He hung up on her.

Here's the Rolling Stone obituary.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

NFL Hall of Fame linebacker Kevin Greene died at home today at 58; no cause of death was stated.  Starting as a walk-on player in college, he played the bulk of his career with the Rams, but is widely known for helping the Steelers reach a Super Bowl before closing out his playing career with the Panthers (after a brief stop in San Francisco), later serving as a linebackers coach for a Super Bowl-winning Packers team and most recently the Jets.  Only two players have had more sacks in their careers.

He leaves behind a wife and two (adult) children.

Edited by Bastet