Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I know Bond was his iconic role, but I do love him as Ramirez from the original Highlander movie. He got to chew scenery with great relish and wear a fabulous outfit. For a good laugh, the very very '70s scifi movie Zardoz which makes absolutely no sense but has Connery in a loincloth and long braided hair. Also a giant, floating head.

• Love 12
On 10/29/2020 at 2:27 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Oh no! 1993 Miss America Leanza Cornett has died after a head injury. She was only 49. I'm pretty sure I watched that year and saw her get crowned. Her kids are only teenagers :(.

Some more about the sudden passing of Miss America 1993, Leanza Cornett: The children who survive her may only be teenagers, but the eldest of the 2 is 18, which is usually considered legal adult age in the US. His younger brother is still legally a minor at the age of 16. Also, she was the first Miss America ever to have an AIDS/HIV Prevention/Awareness  platform (the cause Miss America promotes during her travels each year).

I kind of hope we might find out more about her death sometime. It’s all very vague; she died of a head injury she apparently underwent emergency surgery for at some point, & that’s all we know. I’m wondering if it was something similar to what happened, years ago, to actress Natasha Richardson (then wife of actor Liam Neeson & daughter of [I think Oscar Winner] actress Vanessa Redgrave)? Ms. Richardson was skiing in Canada, fell & struck her head, causing a hematoma & brain hemorrhage she later began showing signs of, but got to the hospital too late for treatment to be effective/life-saving. Or another possibility is that Ms. Cornett could’ve suffered a ruptured aneurysm.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a period.
  • Love 3

From USA TodayAmerican Idol Season 1 Contestant Nikki McKibbin Dies at Age 42

She died of a ruptured aneurysm & her organs were later donated. Ms. McKibbin placed third in the show’s original debut season on Fox, behind runnerup Justin Guarini & winner Kelly Clarkson. In 2014, Ms. McKibbin & her son Tristen Langley became the first mother/son contestants when he auditioned for American Idol; he was sent home in the post-audition round.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a prefix to a name.
7 hours ago, dalek said:

Author Rachel Caine has died.  I'm a big fan of her Weather Warden urban fantasy series and her Great Library series, although I think the Morganville Vampires may be her best known series.

https://preview.mailerlite.com/x6r7e1?fbclid=IwAR1cpcg33zMI6P4Uv95TJvMNE2G50xmXjMfq9hOhdcfQFCx3qO_jiGhY9GA

I was just coming to post this. So sad. I really liked her books and she seemed super sweet, and there's so many lovely stories about her, especially from other authors.

I’ve heard a bit more on what happened to Miss America 1993, Florida’s Leanza Cornett, that ultimately resulted in her recent untimely death. A Facebook group that was started to keep loved ones & fans posted on her condition reported that she was injured when she slipped in her kitchen & struck the back of her head. This caused bleeding in the brain, for which she subsequently underwent emergency surgery which was apparently unsuccessful, it appears. So it appears her situation was apparently somewhat similar to that which caused the equally untimely death of actress Natasha Richardson, wife of actor Liam Neeson & daughter of Oscar winner Vanessa Redgrave, who died a number of years ago after a skiing accident where she fell & struck her head, but thought everything was fine, then she developed signs of a brain injury/bleed which necessitated brain surgery, which was unsuccessful & she died from her injury soon after.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
3 hours ago, Popples said:

RIP Mr. Sessions, and thanks for one of the most side-splitting impressions I'd ever heard.

Such a loss.  And thank you for pointing me towards another escapist wormhole that might allow me to survive today.

• Love 4

This year just sucks. Sessions showed up in an early Marple I watched the other day. His appearances on the early Whose Line was hit or miss for me, but he was always fun when he popped up on other shows. That is a fantastic Rickman impression! Thanks, @Popples.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

She lived 91 years, and, as woman in her thirties, launched a screen career back when the industry told women they were done at that age, not just getting started, ultimately accumulating over 75 credits and working into her 80s.  My condolences to her loved ones, but if she had as good a life as her IMDb bio suggests, hooray for her.

• Love 17
23 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, I get sad when those like Sean Connery and Olivia de Havilland pass away away, but at the same time, if they're in their 90s and even 100s, it's not a tragic end.

Didnt know she was in Titanic too. RIP.

It was more of a deleted scene in Titanic. Based on a real life couple, too. The Strauses were founders of the Macy Department Store in New York. You get to see them when the violinist song is played when they are both in bed holding themselves when their room is about to be flooded.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Useful 3
8 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

It was more of a deleted scene in Titanic. Based on a real life couple, too. The Strauses were founders of the Macy Department Store in New York. You get to see them when the violinist song is played when they are both in bed holding themselves when their room is about to be flooded.

Small correction Strausses weren't the founders Macy's department store. It wasRowland Macy in 1858 technically that wasn't the "first" Macys store since he had other stores with his last name that failed until the one that finally took off and it continued to be owned by the Macys until the Strausses bought it in 1895

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Small correction Strausses weren't the founders Macy's department store. It wasRowland Macy in 1858 technically that wasn't the "first" Macys store since he had other stores with his last name that failed until the one that finally took off and it continued to be owned by the Macys until the Strausses bought it in 1895

Thank you for that! My mistake.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

He was brilliant in so many British productions including playing the well-intended but misguided royal physician in The Madness of King George! Still, 93 is an impressive age to reach and he had excellent chemistry with Judi Dench in As Time Goes By (as well as in the movies Tomorrow Never Dies and  Mrs. Brown). RIP, Mr. Palmer!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 9

It's somewhat heartening to see that the majority of the deaths posted lately have been people living to very ripe old ages.  It's never easy to lose someone of course, but we can't live forever and making it to 93 is damned good. 

• Love 22

I never watched Trebek and he mostly came to my attention once he shared the news about his disease and battle with it, but he seemed like a great guy even from that small glimpse of him. 

• Love 4

I just notices that Alex Trebek died in a side story not even what I was reading :(. I seriously hate 2020!!!

I watch Jeopardy fairly often as it is a good escape (especially right now). While I knew this was coming I still was dreading it. RIP Alex. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Wow....I guess Friday was his last appearance then. My condolences to his family.

I think they pre-film episodes. So there might be some in the bank. I assume if that's the case they'll air them?

Edited by blueray
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Wow....I guess Friday was his last appearance then. My condolences to his family.

According to the TMZ article about him, the last taping day was Oct 29, and he taped enough to last until Christmas.

• Useful 7

Awww.  RIP Alex Trebek.  I was telling my husband yesterday that I can finally turn on the news again (I stopped watching the news regularly a few years ago).  I did this morning and sigh.  The first thing I saw.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Not necessarily. They tape game shows way in advance. I think it’s standard to do a whole bunch of eps (I forget the number I read) over, like, a week each month. So we might see him for awhile yet. I’m pretty sure the producers will probably give some warning, if they can, as to when Alex’s last ep will air so they can get a huge audience for the ep.

I thought Alex was rallying too. The last thing I read, & posted, was that he was taking the same (immunotherapy, I think) treatment that put former Nevada Senator/Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s own Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer into remission & Alex’s “numbers” as to how well the treatment was working were good.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment and a name.
  • Love 7