Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

MasterChef Junior Ben Watkins passes away at age 14

I can't stand kid versions of cooking competitions, so I'm not familiar with him, but what horrible things this kid went through in the last three years:

The season six MasterChef Junior contestant died Monday after a year-and-a-half long battle against cancer, Watkins’ relatives shared on social media via attorney Trent McCain. His passing comes less than five months after his angiomatoid fibrous histiocytoma diagnosis and nearly three years after his parents died in a murder-suicide.

Later in the article, it says that form of cancer is so rare it is only known to have affected five other people!  So his dad murders his mom and commits suicide, but he remains a sweet kid who loves cooking, math, science, walking his family's dogs, and fixing kids' broken bikes.  And three years later, he's dead from a disease even most doctors have never heard of.  I know life isn't fair, but damn.  His poor maternal grandma and uncle - first their daughter/sister, then their grandchild/nephew, both taken from them far too young.

• Love 1

As at least most of us probably could’ve figured, Chef Gordon Ramsay isn’t really the total butthole he appears to be on (at least) his cooking shows involving adults.

From VarietyGordon Ramsay Donated $50,000 to Late ‘MasterChef Junior’ Star Ben Watkins’ Cancer Treatment

The video from Ramsay & Watkins’ fellow contestants on his MasterChef Junior season which is mentioned in the article is also embedded therein. Besides Ramsay, the other 2 adults in the video are pastry chef Christina Tozzi & Mexican-influenced chef, & former Food Network programming staple, Aaron Sanchez; they’re Ramsay’s fellow Judges on the show, for those who haven’t seen it. I used to watch more regularly; I need to catch up/start watching more regularly again.

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

As at least most of us probably could’ve figured, Chef Gordon Ramsay isn’t really the total butthole he appears to be on (at least) his cooking shows involving adults.

From VarietyGordon Ramsay Donated $50,000 to Late ‘MasterChef Junior’ Star Ben Watkins’ Cancer Treatment

The video from Ramsay & Watkins’ fellow contestants on his MasterChef Junior season which is mentioned in the article is also embedded therein. Besides Ramsay, the other 2 adults in the video are pastry chef Christina Tozzi & Mexican-influenced chef, & former Food Network programming staple, Aaron Sanchez; they’re Ramsay’s fellow Judges on the show, for those who haven’t seen it. I used to watch more regularly; I need to catch up/start watching more regularly again.

Very cool.  Wish it would have worked.

• Love 6

I knew Ramsey wasn't a total ass.   I live near Ellicott City which was destroyed by two flash floods in two years.   He came in and filmed a whole special where he helped restaurants open in new safer locations up the hill.   he didn't scream at anyone ONCE.   He was so kind and supportive.   It filmed in February, it aired after lockdown and they put a note at the end of how the lockdown is affecting the restaurants and please order take out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
32 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Try this link. The embedded 1 & this 1 both work for me. If neither works just go search it at YouTube. I searched Ben from MasterChef Junior.

I believe the poster meant they wish the cancer treatment Ramsay helped fund had worked, not that the link you posted didn't work.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Try this link. The embedded 1 & this 1 both work for me. If neither works just go search it at YouTube. I searched Ben from MasterChef Junior.

Aw thanks, but I meant I wish his donation would have worked.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I believe the poster meant they wish the cancer treatment Ramsay helped fund had worked, not that the link you posted didn't work.

Yes, thanks.

• Love 1
On 11/20/2020 at 6:01 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Very cool.  Wish it would have worked.

Well, it helped offset some major bills that the tragic teen's guardian grandparents would have had otherwise contend with solo  so I think Mr. Ramsey might take some comfort in that!  Regardless, he DID show optimism and drive in spite of horrific odds against him and not even death can erase what he DID accomplish (and I'm not just talking about getting on TV and doing well in a contest). 

Edited by Blergh
correcting wrong individual
5 hours ago, isalicat said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/20/books/jan-morris-dead.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Obituaries

Surprised no one else has posted this yet - one of my very favorite authors and a truly historic lady.

Of course, it needs to be said that this transgender author somehow lived to 94- despite having had to have taken hormones for decades after the surgeries. Well, one can't deny the diligent thoroughness  and historic zeal of the deceased's works . Moreoer the  family (including the onetime spouse and co-parent Elizabeth who had been in a civil partnership since 2008) managed to stick together to the end despite the transformation. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Well, it helped offset some major bills that the tragic teen's guardian grandparents would have had otherwise contend with solo  so I think Mr. Cowell might take some comfort in that!  Regardless, he DID show optimism and drive in spite of horrific odds against him and not even death can erase what he DID accomplish (and I'm not just talking about getting on TV and doing well in a contest). 

Simon Cowell didn’t (as far as anyone here knows) donate to the arguably tragic MasterChef Junior participant’s GoFundMe. It was British Chef Gordon Ramsay, who’s the face of a number of food/cooking-related shows airing on Fox in the US, including MasterChef & MasterChef Junior

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Simon Cowell didn’t (as far as anyone here knows) donate to the arguably tragic MasterChef Junior participant’s GoFundMe. It was British Chef Gordon Ramsay, who’s the face of a number of food/cooking-related shows airing on Fox in the US, including MasterChef & MasterChef Junior

Sorry about that! I'll go back and put in the correct individual (if it's not too late)!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, stonehaven said:

For anyone who wants a deep dive into the sublimely ridiculous "Pat and Kenny Read Oprah Transcripts" to honor Kenny...Someone collected all the bits and it runs almost two hours...

Don Giller is the most fabulous Letterman archiver ever.  If you're looking for anything Letterman, Don's got it. 

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Dena Dietrich, from the "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature" margarine commercials

I remember those commercials fondly!!  I didn't know she was still alive up to now.  Nice to know she lived a long life.  Mother Nature has retired.

There used to be a few spoofs related to the character;  I remember one from "What's Happening!" when Mamma (Mabel King), played a similar role to help Rerun (Freddy Stubbs) get loose from a cult that worshipped a head of lettuce.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Dena Dietrich, from the "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature" margarine commercials (among many other things), died Saturday (of natural causes, just shy of 92). 

Hollywood Reporter obituary

"...of natural causes at a health care facility..." 
I hope she wasn't alone because of Covid restrictions like my mom's facility had in August when she passed at the same age. I think I heard on the news today that federal regulations had opened assisted living facilities to visitors in September but had closed (or was it that they were "going to close"?) them again because of high rates. 
It's a sad time for the elderly to pass. 

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Dena Dietrich, from the "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature" margarine commercials (among many other things), died Saturday (of natural causes, just shy of 92).

Mother Nature spoke truth!  A statement ahead of its time.  R.I.P. Ms. Dietrich.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 9
On 11/24/2020 at 4:37 PM, magicdog said:

There used to be a few spoofs related to the character;  I remember one from "What's Happening!" when Mamma (Mabel King), played a similar role to help Rerun (Freddy Stubbs) get loose from a cult that worshipped a head of lettuce.

When we were kids(because we were jerks), we used to sing “If you think it’s butter, but it’s snot, it’s Chiffon.”

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Holy Cow. Former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh has died at 46. Not only did he build a huge ecommerce juggernaut, he pretty much bought up and revitalized downtown Las Vegas. I did think it was odd he suddenly retired this summer, and given the statement he was surrounded by family I'm going to speculate it was a fast-moving cancer.

The article says he died as a result of injuries from a fire that occurred while he was visiting family which is....horrific. I can't think of a fire related death that isn't awful and painful. 

6 hours ago, smittykins said:

When we were kids(because we were jerks), we used to sing “If you think it’s butter, but it’s snot, it’s Chiffon.”

At least you admit you were jerks instead of just thinking you were too cool and clever for anyone to object.

Anyway, Miss Dietrich (who, AFIAK, was NOT closely related to the Berlin-born superstar), also had a memorable role playing the middle-aged nurse rec who had a crush on the doctor played by Danny Thomas in the 1976 series called (believe it or not) The Practice (NOT the one about lawyers in the 1990s).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Miss Dietrich (who, AFIAK, was NOT closely related to the Berlin-born superstar), also had a memorable role playing the middle-aged nurse rec who had a crush on the doctor played by Danny Thomas in the 1976 series called (believe it or not) The Practice (NOT the one about lawyers in the 1990s).

I happened to be watching Decades Channel and the Danny Thomas Roast popped up (1976).  Dietrich was one of the roasters! 

Holy Cow. Former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh has died at 46. Not only did he build a huge ecommerce juggernaut, he pretty much bought up and revitalized downtown Las Vegas. I did think it was odd he suddenly retired this summer, and given the statement he was surrounded by family I'm going to speculate it was a fast-moving cancer.

I saw it on the front pages of the LV RJ!  Talk about the LAST person you'd think would end up in the obits!  He indeed did a lot of great works here in Las Vegas and Downtown LV specifically.  He died in a fire at his home - which was a trailer.  Yup, despite his wealth, he chose to live downtown in a trailer park.  I don't know how the fire started, but, based on experience from previous fires,  it wouldn't take long for the trailer to be consumed quickly.  So sorry for the tragedy! 

2 hours ago, magicdog said:

I saw it on the front pages of the LV RJ!  Talk about the LAST person you'd think would end up in the obits!  He indeed did a lot of great works here in Las Vegas and Downtown LV specifically.  He died in a fire at his home - which was a trailer.  Yup, despite his wealth, he chose to live downtown in a trailer park.  I don't know how the fire started, but, based on experience from previous fires,  it wouldn't take long for the trailer to be consumed quickly.  So sorry for the tragedy! 

According to the New York Times, he was visiting his family in Connecticut and the fire occurred there, not in his trailer (unless he drove the trailer to Connecticut?). House or trailer, it's horrifying.

More details are available from The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/tony-hsieh-dead/2020/11/28/9669a22a-3197-11eb-bae0-50bb17126614_story.html😞

Mr. Hsieh was reported injured in a house fire on Nov. 18 while visiting family members in New London, Conn. New London Fire Chief Thomas Curcio told the Day newspaper in Connecticut that firefighters rescued a victim trapped in a waterfront house. The victim, not specifically identified as Mr. Hsieh, was flown by helicopter to the burn unit of a hospital in Bridgeport, Conn.

(Sorry about the emoji -- it's supposed to be a normal parenthesis with a normal colon!)

Edited by praeceptrix
to add information

Hsieh’s untimely death in his 50s at just 47 is a loss for the good guy visionaries of business, IMO, although perhaps not for those who stand to inherit?? I shopped on Zappos before they were sold to Amazon after the economic crash of 2008. I enjoyed the always cheerful employees’ chat and telephone help, as well as their unique (at the time) free and unlimited shipping for deliveries, returns, and exchanges (I’ve had painfully difficult to fit feet since childhood, much to my parents’ and many shoe store employees exasperation).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I'm sure I clicked on this link in your post, and it worked for me. At any rate, here it is again:

So weird.  The links didn't highlight until I tried and posted again from my iPad and then they did.  Strange.  Thank you for the additional link.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

Ironically, with his blond hair and blue eyes,  he looked as though he COULD have been Luke Skywalker's actual father instead of the ancient actor who got unmasked! Also, ruggedly handsome in his day! Although, obviously James Earl Jones's voice became the iconic piece de resistance of Vader, in hindsight, I'm not sure why Lucas didn't think Mr. Prowse's English accent wouldn't have sufficed since Piett, Tarkin and even Palpatine all them thanks to their performers (and initially Carrie Fisher attempted one with Leia as far back as her audition) !  Well, he did a lot more than this series and I envy British audiences for having had more opportunities to see him in action than US ones would. Very nice tribute from Mr. Hamill. RIP, Mr. Prowse. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hsieh’s untimely death in his 50s is a loss for the good guy visionaries of business, IMO, although perhaps not for those who stand to inherit?? 

Regarding the bolded: I read yesterday, in multiple sources, Tony Hsieh was only 46 when he died—which makes his loss sadder still.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Ironically, with his blond hair and blue eyes,  he looked as though he COULD have been Luke Skywalker's actual father instead of the ancient actor who got unmasked! Also, ruggedly handsome in his day! Although, obviously James Earl Jones's voice became the iconic piece de resistance of Vader, in hindsight, I'm not sure why Lucas didn't think Mr. Prowse's English accent wouldn't have sufficed since Piett, Tarkin and even Palpatine all them thanks to their performers (and initially Carrie Fisher attempted one with Leia as far back as her audition) !  Well, he did a lot more than this series and I envy British audiences for having had more opportunities to see him in action than US ones would. Very nice tribute from Mr. Hamill. RIP, Mr. Prowse. 

The other British actors had posh sounding RP British accents, while Prowse's accent is Bristol which is more farm country.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6

Maybe you were thinking of Nancy Walker, who among many other things was famous for the Bounty paper towel commercials where she played Rosie the waitress at a NJ diner. She did die quite a while back. Or maybe Jan Miner, who was Madge the Manicurist for Palmolive. "You're soaking in it!"

Today's RJ had another feature on Tony Hsieh. I forgot in addition to owning a chunk of downtown he went on a buying spree in Park City, Utah. He wasn't married and didn't have kids, so I hope he had a will or I fear the kind of legal warfare that could break out over his estate.

• Love 3