Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think this makes Tina Louise (ironically, the cast member who wants to have the least to do with Gilligan’s Island) the last surviving cast member of the show. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

You're correct. Tina Louise is the last surviving performer from GI. I believe she was born a year or so before Dawn Wells.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

😥😥😥😥😥🛥️🏝️

Dawn Wells RIP.jpg

Yet another death this year making me angry. She died from COVID-19.  In other words, a death that likely didn't have to happen, at least if the pandemic had been handled properly in this country. Yes, I know she was fairly old.  Yes, it's likely she had other pre-existing conditions.  Yes, I don't know the exact details on HOW she got it. I don't know if it can be directly linked to some jackoff somewhere not wearing a mask, or her living in a place with it's numbers underwater way beyond what it should be. But is it likely?  Yes. 

37 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

You're correct. Tina Louise is the last surviving performer from GI. I believe she was born a year or so before Dawn Wells.

Nope. She's 4 years older. 

She just didn't get COVID. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Here’s her obit from Variety.

She was actually, like, the second major celebrity I did a March of Dimes Telethon (then called a “Telerama”) with, after The Virginian’s James Drury (who died earlier this year... I think). It was in Montgomery, Alabama, I’m pretty sure (remember this was almost 50 years ago... seriously dating myself here), back in either 1971 (they had me do some stuff before my actual year, to try me out), or 1972. Like mostly every celebrity I worked with, she was really nice. She signed a picture of herself for me with a *really long* autograph (I don’t remember what it said), while a lot of other celebs would either sign something “generic”, like “Best Wishes” & their name, or just their name. I like to hope I “connected” more, somehow, with the celebs who signed something that wasn’t just a “generic” autograph sentiment or their name. The standard question, whenever Gilligan’s Island comes up, is usually “Ginger or Mary Ann?” (“Mary Ann or Ginger?”)... For me, it’s definitely Mary Ann.

I think this makes Tina Louise (ironically, the cast member who wants to have the least to do with Gilligan’s Island) the last surviving cast member of the show. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thank you for sharing this memory of Dawn Wells BW.  

• Love 11

Miss Wells had had a tough last few years with bankruptcy then dementia before this horrible affliction took her away from this world. I hope somehow despite all on her plate she was somehow  able to take some comfort in having made millions of people laugh and smile  as Mary Ann  for over a half century   ! RIP, Miss Wells!  

P.S. I'd like to imagine she's chasing down Mr. Denver with a coconut creme pie!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Calvada said:

Dawn Wells, Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island, dies of COVID. 

So 2020 wouldn't even leave Mary Ann alone.  

I read once the cast of Gilligan's Island favorite episodes were the dream ones. Dawn Wells showed her comedic side in those.  V for Vitamins where old man Professor gave Mary Ann advice still pertinent today "Don't believe everything you hear, girlie!".  And Then There Were None (said to be Dawn Wells' favorite) where Mary Ann says of Jekyll and Hyde Gilligan "He taught me to walk and to talk and to dress like a regular lady!  He give me real class, he did!" <blows nose loudly in handkerchief>  While not a dream episode, the classic The Producer, where Mary Ann plays Laertes to the Skipper's Polonius.  Ah, memories!

R.I.P. Ms. Wells.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

So 2020 wouldn't even leave Mary Ann alone.  

I read once the cast of Gilligan's Island favorites episodes were the dream ones. dream episodes were their favorites.  Dawn Wells showed her comedic side in those.  V for Vitamins where old man Professor gave Mary Ann advice still pertinent today "Don't believe everything you hear, girlie!".  And Then There Were None (said to be Dawn Wells' favorite) where Mary Ann says of Jekyll and Hyde Gilligan "He taught me to walk and to talk and to dress like a regular lady!  He give me real class, he did!" <blows nose loudly in handkerchief>  While not a dream episode, the classic The Producer, where Mary Ann plays Laertes to the Skipper's Polonius.  Ah, memories!

R.I.P. Ms. Wells.

To this day, every time I read Hamlet, I picture Gilligan as Hamlet, Ginger as Ophelia, the Skipper as Polonius, Mary Ann as Laertes, and Mr. and Mrs. Howell as King Claudius and Queen Gertrude!

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

To this day, every time I read Hamlet, I picture Gilligan as Hamlet, Ginger as Ophelia, the Skipper as Polonius, Mary Ann as Laertes, and Mr. and Mrs. Howell as King Claudius and Queen Gertrude!

<Checks to see if any Shakespeare purists are around.  Raises hand.>  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • LOL 6
15 hours ago, Kromm said:

Yes, I know she was fairly old.  Yes, it's likely she had other pre-existing conditions.  Yes, I don't know the exact details on HOW she got it.

She was residing in an assisted living facility in L.A. so the odds were against her right away; dementia also weakens the immune system and respiratory system.   The last 10+ years had not been kind to her medically or financially.

Calm seas, Mary Ann.

Dawn Wells was considered the pride and joy of Nevada, as she was born in Reno (her great grandparents first traveled here via covered wagon!), and was a former Miss Nevada (1959) in the Miss America Pageant of 1960.

image.png.c7025a321b6bdccf4bb12b51d5400675.png

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, magicdog said:

Dawn Wells was considered the pride and joy of Nevada, as she was born in Reno (her great grandparents first traveled here via covered wagon!), and was a former Miss Nevada (1959) in the Miss America Pageant of 1960.

image.png.c7025a321b6bdccf4bb12b51d5400675.png

Yet typically, her feelings about it were very much modest Mary Ann:  "Big deal. There were like all of about ten women in Nevada at the time!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, dalek said:

SFF author and podcaster Anton Strout has died.

https://www.tor.com/2020/12/31/author-and-podcast-host-anton-strout-has-passed-away/

He was only 50.  It seems to have been very sudden.  I didn't know him personally, just from podcasts, but a number of SF/F authors I do know are pretty devastated.

I hate to add more names. Mario Andretti's twin brother Aldo died yesterday. Representative Jamie Raskin's son Thomas died today. He was only 25.Many motorsports reporters have expressed sympathy saying Aldo was a gracious man. His son John was an Indycay and Nascar driver. 

1 minute ago, Blergh said:

I wonder why his family felt the need to emphasize that his death was NOT Covid related.

I'm not entirely sure why people do this but I notice it in our local obituaries all the time.

10 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Gerry Marsden, frontman of Gerry and the Pacemakers, dies aged 78

So sad.  I guess I am going to have to get used to losing the musicians that came to fame when I was a little kid.  

• Love 3

I thought Tanya was hilarious on That '70s Show, especially the episode where Midge is fighting with Bob and keeps telling Donna, "Your father's an ASS!!"  I was glad that she returned to the show for a time after leaving to care for her husband.  I liked her work on this show so much that, even though people hadn't exactly given her season raves, I decided to check out Charlie's Angels for the first time and really liked it.  RIP.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I'm not entirely sure why people do this but I notice it in our local obituaries all the time.

Perhaps people feel it's like a reverse contact tracing sort of thing.  It's smoother than saying "don't panic if you were near Uncle Sam recently, he didn't die of Covid".  🤷‍♂️

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

😥👼

Tanya Roberts RIP.jpg

The producers seemed to be pinning everything on  her late addition to somehow keep Charlie's Angels from bombing out but the train was already veering off the cliff when she joined. 

Oh, and it seems she collapsed this past Christmas Eve after walking her dogs and had been hospitalized ever since until her demise yesterday.

RIP, Mrs. Roberts (widow of a   Barry Roberts who died in 2006).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Apparently, despite previously confirming her death her rep now is stating that she is in fact still alive.

Tanya's rep, Mike Pingel, tells TMZ ... her domestic partner, Lance, was at the hospital Sunday when he saw Tanya's eyes close. For some reason, he says he thought she was dead so he left devastated.

What's unclear ... why did Lance think she was dead as opposed to just sleeping? Pingel does not know if Lance spoke to any medical staff before leaving and Lance isn't answering his phone now for clarification.

Wow, not sus at all, he didn't even talk to her doctor, just decided she was dead. I hope somebody is really looking to see what the problem was that made her collapse, because I'm giving the side eye to Lance.

• Love 4

From NBC4 Los Angeles: Food Network Personality Kerry Vincent Dead at 75

Kerry Vincent was the Food Network’s stern Aussie-born Judge/Show Host (she later moved to the US & she & her husband, Doug, lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma/the Tulsa area) on Food Network Challenge & many/most of the network’s shows relating to cakes, baking, & bakeries over the years, although she apparently hadn’t appeared on the network since a gingerbread-related show that might’ve only aired as recently as 2019. She was also a Hall of Fame cake artist, author, & known for pioneering several unique techniques in sugar craft. Tulsa designated October 6th “Kerry Vincent Day” in her honor, for her contributions to the city. She also co-founded the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show. She was 75 & died of an undisclosed illness (the obit linked is quoted as saying she was a very private person about anything but cake, & she didn’t want her illness made public; it also said she was no longer in any pain & that there would be no services at her request).

On 1/4/2021 at 9:45 AM, Blergh said:

The producers seemed to be pinning everything on  her late addition to somehow keep Charlie's Angels from bombing out but the train was already veering off the cliff when she joined. 

Agreed, but I remember seeing her in "From A View To A Kill" when it was in theaters and my cousin (who was watching with me) and I couldn't help but laugh at her performance.  All she seemed to do was yell, "James!" every few minutes! When she was in "Sheena", I remember she was teased mercilessly by critics.

However, I really liked her as Midge on "That 70s Show" and she seemed a perfect fit for the role.  

RIP Ms. Roberts.  

• Love 6
On 12/31/2020 at 8:47 AM, legaleagle53 said:

And let's not forget that they made it a musical.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

And let's not forget that they made it a musical.

Before Mr. Hecuba stopped it, it seemed on the verge of being a megaton bomb. Can anyone imagine Gilligan and Mary Ann in a sword duel? Still the performers seemed to be having their fun and that helped the viewers have it,,too! RIP, Miss Wells! 

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, magicdog said:

Agreed, but I remember seeing her in "From A View To A Kill" when it was in theaters and my cousin (who was watching with me) and I couldn't help but laugh at her performance.  All she seemed to do was yell, "James!" every few minutes! When she was in "Sheena", I remember she was teased mercilessly by critics.

However, I really liked her as Midge on "That 70s Show" and she seemed a perfect fit for the role.  

RIP Ms. Roberts.  

I hope the local authorities are looking into WHY her companion and publicist prematurely announced Mrs. Roberts's death a day before it happened and did either of them attempt to take financial and/or other advantages of the situation by doing so. It sure seems a rather big 'oops' to have happened entirely by accident. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Blergh said:

I hope the local authorities are looking into WHY her companion and publicist prematurely announced Mrs. Roberts's death a day before it happened and did either of them attempt to take financial and/or other advantages of the situation by doing so. It sure seems a rather big 'oops' to have happened entirely by accident. 

It took my mom 5 years to die. Several times my sister started making “plans.” It was a weird form of denial. So, in Tanya Roberts case, it might not be anything nefarious either. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It took my mom 5 years to die. Several times my sister started making “plans.” It was a weird form of denial. So, in Tanya Roberts case, it might not be anything nefarious either. 

True, it 'might not be' ,as in your late mother's case, but it also might be something nefarious. Hence this is  why it would be a good idea for the authorities to investigate the circumstances surrounding the last part of Mrs. Roberts's life so they can lessen the chances of one or more folks attempting to possibly get away with something untoward! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3