Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I loved her character on Police Academy. RIP Marion Ramsey. Thanks for such a great character.

Ditto!  Hooks was at once meek and mild but could get tough when called to do so.

Plus, how can you not like someone who sings "Santa Claus is Comin' To Town" when taking their road test???

• Love 11
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

USA Today just sent out a notification on my iPhone (just before Noon Eastern) saying that former Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda has died at 93. More info to come...

Lasorda w/late NBC Sports baseball man Stu Nahan (Nahan was also KNBC sports man for a time) on Game 5 of the 1985 NLCS (from A&E's release of the St. Louis Cardinals Greatest Games of Busch Stadium)...

tommylasorda1985nlcs.jpg

• Love 2

I read that Lasorda had a heart attack at home.

Also, Cozi TV (normally a digital subchannel—the ones listed as the channel number followed by a decimal point & a number 1 or above) is airing a tribute to the late Tanya Roberts today, starting at 3PM Eastern/2PM Central (they normally air a 3-hour block of Charlie’s Angels episodes from 3-6PM Eastern/2-5PM Central on Saturdays, anyway). The trailer I saw said it would include the first episode with Tanya’s character, Julie, as an Angel, which is a 2-part episode. So it’s probably Tanya’s introductory CA episode & another with her character. Cozi TV streams on YouTube TV & Hulu, & I think it’s on at least certain cable companies; check local listings for other ways to watch, if interested

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

My favorite film of his was Continental Divide, a severely underrated romcom with John Belushi and Blair Brown.

I'm another rare fan of Continental Divide.  The recently aired Belushi documentary reminded me of it, making me curious who directed the film.  R.I.P. Mr. Apted.

• Love 6

One of the subscription services (Acorn? maybe) had the whole Up series a few months ago. A lot of the subjects have died or opted out as the series went on and with Apted gone, it probably won't continue, which is sad. It's unique. 

• Love 6
On 1/8/2021 at 10:59 AM, BW Manilowe said:

USA Today just sent out a notification on my iPhone (just before Noon Eastern) saying that former Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda has died at 93. More info to come...

Another baseball legend gone.  R.I.P. Mr. Lasorda.  

21 hours ago, BetterButter said:

OMG, Police Squad!  I remember this scene.  Johnny was right!  

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, ABay said:

One of the subscription services (Acorn? maybe) had the whole Up series a few months ago. A lot of the subjects have died or opted out as the series went on and with Apted gone, it probably won't continue, which is sad. It's unique. 

I saw it available on BritBox today.

• Love 2

Just heard that Don Robertson (famed CBS Sports announcer) passed on yesterday, Jan. 9 (heard also that Jim Nantz said it on the NFC Wild Card game broadcast yesterday).

Edited by bmasters9
On 1/6/2021 at 1:28 AM, Blergh said:

Before Mr. Hecuba stopped it, it seemed on the verge of being a megaton bomb. Can anyone imagine Gilligan and Mary Ann in a sword duel?

Good point. Exactly how was that supposed to work?  Hamlet is a tragedy in which every major character is dead by the end of the play. Not exactly material for a Tony-winning musical with a happy ending. They'd have been better off adapting one of Shakespeare's comedies, like Twelfth Night, The Merchant of Venice, or The Taming of the Shrew.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

The documentary was a proto 'reality' show in which at first the family attempted to pretend everything was hunky dory for the home viewers but, as time went on, their clay feet got exposed and it wound up that Mrs. Loud would ask her husband for a divorce on camera before the series was over!  For the next two decades, the suits got the message that putting cameras in non-professional participants' faces for extended periods could have detrimental effects (and there was debate whether the presence of the cameras and crew could have caused the problems or at the very least been a catalyst for long-dormant issues to surface). In any case, it wouldn't be until the 1990's when MTV debuted The Real World that anything like this would be attempted  again but that would set the stage for an explosion of shows exploiting folks of all ages and walks of life that shows no signs of ending in the foreseeable future- which shows how respect for non-professional participants and the viewing public has greatly eroded!

In any case, 94 is an impressive age to reach and I hope the end was peaceful for her but one can't say she lived her life quietly (even ignoring her surname). RIP, Mrs. Loud.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Siegfried of Siegfried and Roy is dead.

That's sad  but I can't say that this comes as a surprise. I can't say I was a fan (and still think they took too many risks for their own as well as the animals' safety). However, I have to admit that I admired the two of them for having  each grown up in the ruins of postwar Germany in rather challenging circumstances yet having a dream to entertain and exceeded everyone else's expectations.  RIP Herr Fischbacher.

• Love 7

Yeah, I didn't expect him to live much longer after Roy died.  I never got to see the show in Las Vegas, it was always sold out. I did walk around the Mirage and look at the tigers. I wonder who will take care of them now.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

Yeah, I didn't expect him to live much longer after Roy died.  I never got to see the show in Las Vegas, it was always sold out. I did walk around the Mirage and look at the tigers. I wonder who will take care of them now.

I’m sure they made arrangements; especially in the super brief time since Siegfried’s illness was announced. As far as I know, a number of the animals are now part of an outdoor attraction at the Mirage called something like The Secret Garden of Siegfried & Roy, & have been for years now. I would assume the animals already there would stay there & perhaps those still at the house would join them, or go somewhere else they’ll be equally well taken care of. 1 of my longtime best friends, whom I saw Siegfried & Roy’s Mirage Las Vegas show with, at least twice, lives in Vegas (my parents saw them once, from front seats & the elephant took a dump onstage during the show, near their seats) & will hopefully keep me posted on developments with the remaining animals they had at home as they become known.

Considering how close Siegfried & Roy apparently once were, though maybe not as much recently (& not necessarily because of their ages or Roy’s injury), I really didn’t expect Siegfried to live terribly much longer after Roy died (he lasted 8 or 9 months); sort of like how the elder President Bush died fairly soon after his wife, Barbara, preceded him. RIP Siegfried & Roy... SARMOTI & thanks for the memories!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I wonder if she or her late husband ever caught the Golden Girls episode 'The Way We Met' which depicted the first time Dorothy met Rose?

Rose : "Oh, it's such a lovely day. Mr. Sunshine really gave us one of his biggest and brightest smiles! Oh, I feel like putting my arms around Mother Nature and giving her a big kiss! Hi, you must be Dorothy!"

Dorothy: "And you must be Mrs. Rogers!"

Well, if so I hope one or both of them got a good laugh (and I'll bet that would have been the only time anyone would have mistaken her for Betty White)!

Still, I have to say that it appears that in the last few years, via publicly sharing her memories (and admitting that she was a worry-wart in contrast to her more optimistic spouse), it seems that Mrs. Rogers showed the world who she was after decades of being an obscure trivia answer so I hope that brought her some comfort in the last part of her life. And, yes, I thought she was quite the  fiesty character in her own right (and nothing whatsoever like Rose Nyland) so I'm glad she opened up. RIP, Mrs. Rogers!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, BetterButter said:

1 hour ago, ABay said:

I  remember him from innumerable appearances on TV shows in the 70s and 80s. I had no idea about all the rest.

55 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I remember him from his various TV roles which included Dallas and Dynasty.  R.I.P. Mr. Richman

While he played mostly villains in the shows I watched, he’ll always be Chrissy’s father, Reverend Snow from Three’s Company for me.

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Despite his horribleness I won't stop enjoy this song:

Or this one:

And NOW we can enjoy them without any chance of a convicted murderer getting any royalties from said enjoyment! 

I only hope that his former wife Ronnie Spector( among other artists) will be able to get bigger pieces of the royalties pie now that he's not around. She said her life with him was an utter nightmare  with him isolating her and threatening to have her killed and I can't help but think that she may be resting in peace after hearing this news that he will never be able to threaten her (or possibly her current spouse and offspring) again.  

I also hope that the late Lana Clarkson's loved ones will take some comfort that he DID serve as much of his sentence as possible for   Miss Clarkson's murder and that he died in prison instead of as a free man. 

• Love 13