Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I updated my TCM 2020 Remembers link upthread.  It's now embedded.  Plus, TCM has now added Peter Lamont, Barbara Windsor, and Jeremy Bulloch.  But just in case - here it is again.  TCM Remembers 2020 (updated).  

P.S. I don't trust 2020 so don't be surprised if TCM updates this again.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 6

In the spirit of the season, because of the recent passing of KT Oslin (I liked her too), I give you a song most, if not all, of you have probably never heard before: Her VERY playful duet version of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” with Barry Manilow (don’t judge without listening to it first, please & thank you). It’s from his first Christmas album (he’s done 3, not counting a compilation of songs from all 3 albums released by his former record label), Because It’s Christmas (Arista Records, 1990). If you like KT’s music & haven’t heard it before, I ask you to give it a listen & not bypass this post. Even if you don’t like KT’s duet partner, you might like the song.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To reword a little bit and to add a comma.
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

In the spirit of the season, because of the recent passing of KT Oslin (I liked her too), I give you a song most, if not all, of you have probably never heard before: Her VERY playful duet version of “Baby It’s Cold Outside” with Barry Manilow (don’t judge without listening to it first, please & thank you), from his first Christmas album (he’s done 3, not counting a compilation of songs from all 3 albums released by his former record label), Because It’s Christmas (Arista Records, 1990). If you like KT’s music & haven’t heard it before, I ask you to give it a listen & not bypass this post. Even if you don’t like KT’s duet partner, you might like the song.

Why, that was absolutely adorable!!

• Love 6
22 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

John "Ecstasy" Fletcher of the pioneering rap group Whodini has died.

He was the shirtless one in the Zorro hat. Whodini was one of my favorites in the early days. R.I.P.

Aw. RIP Ecstacy.  My very first rap concert I ever saw in a stadium was Run DMC's Raising Hell tour.  I was like 16 and we were so excited.  LL Cool J was on that Tour and was honestly better than Run DMC.  He gave a killer set.  But also Whodini was the opener and they were fab.  We wore that album out.  I remember my friends and I singing 'Friends... How Many of us have them' at the top of our lungs going back home that night.

• Love 9

Celtics Hall of Fame member KC Jones died today at the age of 88. I feel terrible for Bill Russell they were teammates in college as well as with the Celtics. He was the coach of the 86 Celtics one of the greatest teams of all time.

This one is wild. The Chinese company Yoozoo that owns the rights to Liu Cixin'sThree Body Problem trilogy, which is going to be adapted for Netlix by GoT's David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, has been rocked by a murder plot. Chairman Lin Qi was hospitalized after drinking allegedly poisoned pu-er tea. The suspect arrested is another executive at the company. He seemed to be getting better but now has died. Judging by the history of the project as detailed in the article, it's been cursed.

• Love 1
On 12/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, roseha said:

From the NY Times:

Karen Killilea, 80, Dies; Turned Disability Into Triumph

I remember reading her mother's book about her when I was growing up.   Inspiring person, and the same can be said for her family of course.

I was just thinking about her yesterday.

I read both Karen and With Love From Karen, and I think her parents were ahead of their time in making her do as much for herself as possible.  It’s also amazing that for years, her education consisted of a few hours a week with a home tutor  until she entered Larchmont Academy.

RIP, Karen.

• Love 8

Nancye Radmin has died at the age of 82 

I had not heard of her, nor could I have afforded to shop in her stores, but I owe her a huge debt. I remember the nasty looks and rude treatment I got when attempting to shop for clothes in the boutiques in Greenwich Village back in the 70s. It's thanks to Nancye Radmin that I was eventually able to buy clothes not made of nasty fabrics and designed by Omar the Tentmaker. Many thanks and RIP Ms. Radmin. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/25/fashion/nancye-radmin-dead.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Nancye Radmin has died at the age of 82 

I had not heard of her, nor could I have afforded to shop in her stores, but I owe her a huge debt. I remember the nasty looks and rude treatment I got when attempting to shop for clothes in the boutiques in Greenwich Village back in the 70s. It's thanks to Nancye Radmin that I was eventually able to buy clothes not made of nasty fabrics and designed by Omar the Tentmaker. Many thanks and RIP Ms. Radmin. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/25/fashion/nancye-radmin-dead.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

I've never heard of her as well, but I am absolutely appreciative what she did to push plus-sized fashion forward.

Eternal gratitude and RIP Ms. Radmin

• Love 9
9 hours ago, roamyn said:

She was the granddaughter of the late Duke Andrew & Duchess Deborah (Mitford) of Devonshire.  Duke Andrew was the younger brother of William Cavendish who was killed in WWII and married to Kathleen Kennedy (JFK’s sister)

If you don’t recognize the name Kathleen Kennedy (from that Kennedy family generation, anyway), she was the Kennedy sister nicknamed “Kick”, who later died in a plane crash. She has a namesake niece, Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, whose parents were Former Attorney General/US Senator Robert Fitzgerald Kennedy & his wife, Ethel. She is a Former Attorney General of the State of Maryland. Sadly, 1 of her 4 daughters, Maeve Townsend McKean, & Maeve’s young son, Gideon, died in a drowning accident earlier this year (2020).

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 12/24/2020 at 10:22 PM, DearEvette said:

Aw. RIP Ecstacy.  My very first rap concert I ever saw in a stadium was Run DMC's Raising Hell tour.  I was like 16 and we were so excited.  LL Cool J was on that Tour and was honestly better than Run DMC.  He gave a killer set.  But also Whodini was the opener and they were fab.  We wore that album out.  I remember my friends and I singing 'Friends... How Many of us have them' at the top of our lungs going back home that night.

RIP Mr. Fletcher.  I used to love the Whodini video for The Freaks Come Out at Night.   It got a lot of play on a show called Video Music Box on NY Channel 25 back in the 1980s.

• Love 2

Hall of Fame pitcher Phil Niekro has died at age 81.

After his playing career, when he was managing the women's baseball team the Colorado Silver Bullets with his brother Joe as coach, I went to a game with my sister (though they were so overmatched by this particular team--a college alumni team featuring a former major leaguer--that it was only in the 5th or 6th inning after several hours when we had to leave).  Before the game, someone won a contest or something to take some batting practice against Phil.  The guy made some decent contact, but then decided to show off and bat from the other side of the plate.  Some in the crowd noted that Phil probably did not appreciate this, and he put something extra on his pitches and struck the guy out.  He had probably been trying to be nice before that, as he was in his mid-50s but hadn't been out of the majors that many years.

• Love 1
On 12/26/2020 at 12:18 PM, smittykins said:

I read both Karen and With Love From Karen, and I think her parents were ahead of their time in making her do as much for herself as possible.  It’s also amazing that for years, her education consisted of a few hours a week with a home tutor  until she entered Larchmont Academy.

RIP, Karen.

I read both of those books multiple times over the years.  It's interesting how the availability of google can be both a good thing and a bad thing. I looked up the family on the internet a couple of years ago just to see what had happened to everyone since the second book ended. I hated to hear of a family tragedy that happened a few years after the last book, but I also was kind of glad that I learned more about the family and how they were able to cope. Karen seemed to have led a quiet life but a contented one from what I read. Yes, RIP Karen. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Hall of Fame pitcher Phil Niekro has died at age 81.

After his playing career, when he was managing the women's baseball team the Colorado Silver Bullets with his brother Joe as coach, I went to a game with my sister (though they were so overmatched by this particular team--a college alumni team featuring a former major leaguer--that it was only in the 5th or 6th inning after several hours when we had to leave).  Before the game, someone won a contest or something to take some batting practice against Phil.  The guy made some decent contact, but then decided to show off and bat from the other side of the plate.  Some in the crowd noted that Phil probably did not appreciate this, and he put something extra on his pitches and struck the guy out.  He had probably been trying to be nice before that, as he was in his mid-50s but hadn't been out of the majors that many years.

I did a lot of March of Dimes-related publicity as the National Poster Child (Poster Girl), when I was in the Atlanta area, with Phil Niekro. He was a very nice guy.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To reword a little bit.
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I read both of those books multiple times over the years.  It's interesting how the availability of google can be both a good thing and a bad thing. I looked up the family on the internet a couple of years ago just to see what had happened to everyone since the second book ended. I hated to hear of a family tragedy that happened a few years after the last book, but I also was kind of glad that I learned more about the family and how they were able to cope. Karen seemed to have led a quiet life but a contented one from what I read. Yes, RIP Karen. 

I read Karen and With Love from Karen when I was in 8th grade. I have cerebral palsy and it was nice to read about someone with the same disability. Disabled children weren't guaranteed an education until the 1970's so her mom was ahead of her time by advocating for Karen.

• Love 10
On 12/18/2020 at 5:55 PM, roseha said:

From the NY Times:

Karen Killilea, 80, Dies; Turned Disability Into Triumph

I remember reading her mother's book about her when I was growing up.   Inspiring person, and the same can be said for her family of course.

19 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I read Karen and With Love from Karen when I was in 8th grade. I have cerebral palsy and it was nice to read about someone with the same disability. Disabled children weren't guaranteed an education until the 1970's so her mom was ahead of her time by advocating for Karen.

I remember reading "Karen" when I was in what would now be called middle school. There was a moment in her story --I think maybe near the end-- where she had to make a choice between either continuing to develop muscles to walk with braces on her legs, or else developing the muscles to sit erect in a wheel chair. At least that's how I recall it, all these decades later. I have often replayed her choice in my mind when I have had a difficult choice to make. I recall her seeing the choice to continue with braces to be like a bird that could not fly --or something like that-- looking down at the ground instead of up at the sky.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

From CNBC: Pierre Cardin, Groundbreaking Fashion Designer and Master Marketer, Dies at 98

Despite being gay, Cardin once had a five-year love affair with French New Wave actress Jeanne Moreau, who wore his designs, while simultaneously maintaining his relationship with his longtime artistic director and life partner, Andre Oliver. Andre Oliver preceded Cardin in death, having died in 1993.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a quote from the article.
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Of course it’s not done. There’s 3 whole days left for it to mess with us, & I’m sure it will.

28 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Maybe this isn’t as weird as I think, but is it unusual that Willliam Link’s survivors include his grandchildren, but not his children? I mean, he had to have children to get the grandchildren, right? I wouldn’t think the children predeceased him (but it should be mentioned, if so). Maybe there were family-related issues & they weren’t speaking at the time he died. I know it’s none of my business, but I noticed it & it piqued my curiosity.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Maybe this isn’t as weird as I think, but is it unusual that Willliam Link’s survivors include his grandchildren, but not his children? I mean, he had to have children to get the grandchildren, right? I wouldn’t think the children predeceased him (but it should be mentioned, if so). Maybe there were family-related issues & they weren’t speaking at the time he died. I know it’s none of my business, but I noticed it & it piqued my curiosity.

I wondered if the person writing the obituary should have said grandnieces/grandnephews rather than grandchildren.  I'd definitely agree that if he had a child or children who predeceased him that would have been mentioned.  

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I wondered if the person writing the obituary should have said grandnieces/grandnephews rather than grandchildren.  I'd definitely agree that if he had a child or children who predeceased him that would have been mentioned.  

Well, at least the Deadline obit mentioned his wife, nieces & nephews, sisters-in-law & brother-in-law. The Wrap obit doesn’t mention survivors, Variety mentioned his wife, grandchildren, & nieces & nephews.

I suppose it’s possible they should’ve said “grandnieces” & “grandnephews”, since he had nieces & nephews & the former are the children of the latter (I learned that by writing about the birth of actress Emma Roberts’ son earlier today—she’s Oscar winner Julia Roberts’ niece & that means Emma’s son is Julia’s grandnephew. Emma’s father, by the way, is Julia’s brother, Oscar nominee Eric Roberts).

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

Dawn Wells, Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island, dies of COVID.  

Here’s her obit from Variety.

She was actually, like, the second major celebrity I did a March of Dimes Telethon (then called a “Telerama”) with, after The Virginian’s James Drury (who died earlier this year... I think). It was in Montgomery, Alabama, I’m pretty sure (remember this was almost 50 years ago... seriously dating myself here), back in either 1971 (they had me do some stuff before my actual year, to try me out), or 1972. Like mostly every celebrity I worked with, she was really nice. She signed a picture of herself for me with a *really long* autograph (I don’t remember what it said), while a lot of other celebs would either sign something “generic”, like “Best Wishes” & their name, or just their name. I like to hope I “connected” more, somehow, with the celebs who signed something that wasn’t just a “generic” autograph sentiment or their name. The standard question, whenever Gilligan’s Island comes up, is usually “Ginger or Mary Ann?” (“Mary Ann or Ginger?”)... For me, it’s definitely Mary Ann.

I think this makes Tina Louise (ironically, the cast member who wants to have the least to do with Gilligan’s Island) the last surviving cast member of the show. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change a word.
  • Love 11