Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

This is a shock, but not a surprise. To say the woman had a rough go would be an understatement.

Exactly; it's easy to understand that being too much cumulative pain for one person to survive, especially in the span of only about ten years.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Exactly; it's easy to understand that being too much cumulative pain for one person to survive, especially in the span of only about ten years.

And now her surviving sons will be on a suicide watch of sorts I would imagine.  Unthinkable.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated

Awww.... Natalie Deselle who played Minerva (one of the evil step sisters) in the Brandy/Whitney Houston version of Cinderella and Mickey in B.A.P.S. has passed away at 53.

I follow Halle Berry on Twitter and she would always tweet about their friendship over the years.  She sounds absolutely gutted! 

RIP Natalie!

• Love 1

B.A.P.S and Eve actress Natalie Desselle Reid has died, age 53.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/natalie-deselle-reid-star-of-b-a-p-s-and-eve-dies-at-53

https://deadline.com/2020/12/natalie-desselle-dies-eve-star-53-1234651650/

https://tvline.com/2020/12/07/natalie-desselle-reid-dies-eve-actress-53/

This makes me sad.  I loved her as one of the wicked stepsisters in the Brandy version of Cinderella!  Gone way too soon.

ETA: I think we posted at the same time DearEvette.  Yes, she was wonderful indeed in Cinderella.  Loved her duet of Why Would a Fella Want a Girl Like Her? with Veanne Cox.  So sad.  

Edited by MissAlmond
54 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

B.A.P.S and Eve actress Natalie Desselle Reid has died, age 53.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/natalie-deselle-reid-star-of-b-a-p-s-and-eve-dies-at-53

https://deadline.com/2020/12/natalie-desselle-dies-eve-star-53-1234651650/

https://tvline.com/2020/12/07/natalie-desselle-reid-dies-eve-actress-53/

This makes me sad.  I loved her as one of the wicked stepsisters in the Brandy version of Cinderella!  Gone way too soon.

ETA: I think we posted at the same time DearEvette.  Yes, she was wonderful indeed in Cinderella.  Loved her duet of Why Would a Fella Want a Girl Like Her? with Veanne Cox.  So sad.  

How sad! 😞

She was so funny in Cinderella (especially her delivery of "I could PULL OUT ALL HER HAIIIIIRRRRRRR!!"). 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
Tone-deafness. My fault.
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I loved her in Cinderella! And BAPS😭😭😭😭😭

Go to hell, cancer! And take 2020 with you!

And don't forget to drag dementia back to the pit you all came from! 

• Love 5

Dammit Chuck Yeager passed today. 

Fitting that he would go on Pearl Harbor Day.   He had already enlisted but was considered too young for pilot training.   Pearl Harbor changed that.   the rest is history.

• Useful 4
9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Dammit Chuck Yeager passed today. 

Fitting that he would go on Pearl Harbor Day.   He had already enlisted but was considered too young for pilot training.   Pearl Harbor changed that.   the rest is history.

^This plus I think of it as a gift, considering the condition of most folks at 97/98 (I've heard both ages).  I'm likely colored by the experiences of my in-laws and parents, who died at 87, 92, and one still hanging on and miserable at 89, but I wish him fair skies and smooth clouds hereafter.

• Love 6

Chuck Yeager.....I didn't realize he was still alive but RIP to a true pioneer. 

It amazes me that in 44 years, from 1903 to 1947, we went from the Wright Brothers barely up there airplane to breaking the speed of sound.  And only 66 years between flying and reaching the moon.  

• Love 13

When I was a kid, we had a cat named Yeager, after Chuck Yeager (because he was found at the airport).  And Sam Shepard's performance of him (and Shepard and Barbara Hershey's portrayal of the marriage between Chuck and Glynnis Yeager) is one of the umpteen things I love about The Right Stuff

7 hours ago, Blergh said:

97 is quite an impressive age to reach but I hope he lived to see his wife Victoria of 17 years and his children by his first union make peace with each other.

Reading his obituary and realizing he married a woman 35 years his junior when he was 80, I can see where his kids might have had some issues!  But, hopefully she's a good person, and everyone learned to deal sometime in the last 17 years.

• Love 6

ABC news has been keeping a running list of what they term 'notable people' who have died in 2020. Yeager has already been added.

And just today, Olympic gold medalist in track and field Arnie Robinson Jr died at 72, of Covid 19. After retiring from competition he had a successful career in coaching at Mesa College which won 15 conference championships and one state championship during his tenure, along with personally coaching another Olympic gold medalist.

From GMA (Good Morning America)Another Report on the Untimely Death of Zappos Founder Tony Hsieh (VIDEO). It talks about how his behavior had changed, & how his friends noticed but couldn’t reach him about the changes (as in, they couldn’t make him see what they saw). He was apparently into drugs (I think the report mentioned mushrooms, but I might be wrong) & depriving his body of food, drink, & oxygen. Kind of fascinating report, but also kind of “What happened that made you start doing those things which would eventually prove harmful to anyone?” too.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a parenthesis.
7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

What happened that made you start doing those things which would eventually prove harmful to anyone?”

I thought I read something in the LVRJ (newspaper) that stated he had been deeply depressed. Whether it was covid related or not, I don't know...but the onset of his depression was fairly recent.

32 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I was just going to post an article about Hsieh that I just found today.

It isn't flattering.

It also answers some nagging questions I've had since he came to town. 

Thanks for the link. Quite the eye-opener (though, honestly, I knew almost nothing about him before his death brought him to my attention).

The first paragraph of the article, however, makes me want to scream -- "have all went into overdrive"?!?! Does no one understand grammar anymore? Have all of the copy editors been fired? 🤬

• Love 5
3 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Thanks for the link. Quite the eye-opener (though, honestly, I knew almost nothing about him before his death brought him to my attention).

The first paragraph of the article, however, makes me want to scream -- "have all went into overdrive"?!?! Does no one understand grammar anymore? Have all of the copy editors been fired? 🤬

Improper grammar has become all too common, and I have yet to see or hear an explanation for that.  The laissez-faire attitude about it is maddening to me.  In a world with spellcheck, grammarly, and others, it would seem easier not harder to get it right.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Improper grammar has become all too common, and I have yet to see or hear an explanation for that.  The laissez-faire attitude about it is maddening to me.  In a world with spellcheck, grammarly, and others, it would seem easier not harder to get it right.

Seriously, MS Word makes sure I have my commas in the right place.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Llywela said:

English actress Dame Barbara Windsor has died age 83. Possibly not very well known overseas, but over here she is an absolute legend, primarily known for comedy - she appeared in nine of the Carry On films - but she also appeared in the soap opera Eastenders for many years in a much more serious dramatic role. She had been suffering from dementia for some years now.

I used to live abroad and loved her on Eastenders. RIP Dame Windsor. 

• Love 4

2020 said mind your business about other people's grammar and worry about yourself joining their In Memoriam list.  Because 2020 ain't done yet.*

*In spite what Time Magazine thinks.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 5
On 12/10/2020 at 11:54 AM, magicdog said:

I was just going to post an article about Hsieh that I just found today.

It isn't flattering.

It also answers some nagging questions I've had since he came to town. 

I had never heard of this person before he died, and I'm confused about the logistics of all of this. Did all Zappos employees have to join this cult? The call center workers and the people at the fulfillment center? Or is it a cult just for corporate level employees?

• Love 1
On 12/10/2020 at 2:31 PM, praeceptrix said:

The first paragraph of the article, however, makes me want to scream -- "have all went into overdrive"?!?! Does no one understand grammar anymore? Have all of the copy editors been fired?

I highly doubt that site ever had copy editors. The language of the site/article doesn't scream professional journalism to me which makes me a bit skeptical.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

It's a screed on a blog, not a news article. Hence the grammar and syntax errors. The tone seems to have a personal animus towards Tony Hsieh as well. Which is not to say much of it is not true, but there doesn't seem to be any citations or supporting documentation for the accusations which are needed in actual journalism.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, janie jones said:

I had never heard of this person before he died, and I'm confused about the logistics of all of this. Did all Zappos employees have to join this cult? The call center workers and the people at the fulfillment center? Or is it a cult just for corporate level employees?

From what I understand, if you wanted to "go somewhere", you needed to hitch your wagon to Hsieh's train.  Even his closest "friends" were told they were "out" if they badgered him about getting help, or letting them ease up on the 24 hour party lifestyle.  Most would agree to shut up because of the goodies he gave them.  Jewel, believe it or not, was one of those who broke off their friendship because she saw the writing on the wall.  Sounds like a classic tragedy.  

13 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

there doesn't seem to be any citations or supporting documentation for the accusations which are needed in actual journalism.

You'd have to ask the author about that but I'm sure he wouldn't publish this without some backup.  Otherwise he would risk a lawsuit. 

ETA:  Forbes just published this.

WSJ published this. The man had business decisions done on sticky notes for heaven's sake!

Edited by magicdog
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Me neither.  Buying shoes online will never work for my poor tootsies.

My tootsies would argue that they have more issues than your tootsies --but it's not a contest 😉
So I was thrilled back when Amazon was only selling books to discover Zappos would send me shoes and make it very easy to return them with no cost either way. Sometimes I did this a half a dozen times, which I cannot replicate in a store because my foot starts to hurt after the second pair and then I can't tell anything.

But more to the point of Hsieh's impact on customer service, you could call Zappos and immediately get a live, friendly customer support person
(okay, overly friendly, kind of crazy, but also clever with words and unendingly sympathetic).

I wonder if Tony was somewhere "on the spectrum," and if his naivety contributed to his downward spiral. 😞 
In an interview from a few years ago (recently replayed on NPR) it was clear that he was not a boss-type personality, which could easily have left a void for unscrupulous people to fill, and perhaps create the unhealthy party atmosphere.
Just my speculations.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

But the blog made some assertions way beyond he was a paranoid drug addict.

I was out after the liberal use of the word "psychotic" to describe more than one person; I'd never heard of him before he died, either (although my former assistant worked at Zappos for years as an HR manager and loved it, and I've ordered shoes from there, I had no idea who ran the company), so I wasn't interested enough in wading through that hyperbolic opinion piece for the facts at hand.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

Charlie Pride, one of the first black country music stars, died today of COVID. He was 86.

Damn!  I loved Charley Pride's voice. 

He performed at that ridiculous CMA Awards show a month ago; I wonder if that's when he became infected.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

It's a screed on a blog, not a news article. Hence the grammar and syntax errors. The tone seems to have a personal animus towards Tony Hsieh as well. Which is not to say much of it is not true, but there doesn't seem to be any citations or supporting documentation for the accusations which are needed in actual journalism.

Didn’t they mention the “intervention” letter Tony Hsieh got from the multitalented, but mostly singer, Jewel? I’d say that had attribution with it.

• Love 1
On 12/11/2020 at 4:35 AM, Llywela said:

English actress Dame Barbara Windsor has died age 83. Possibly not very well known overseas, but over here she is an absolute legend, primarily known for comedy - she appeared in nine of the Carry On films - but she also appeared in the soap opera Eastenders for many years in a much more serious dramatic role. She had been suffering from dementia for some years now.

Nooo!!! Not Peggy!!!

R.I.P.