Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, blueray said:

I think they pre-film episodes. So there might be some in the bank. I assume if that's the case they'll air them?

Regarding the bolded: I don’t see how they can’t air them. Especially if Alex’s last show happened to be in the middle of somebody’s win streak. If it happened they might be at a point where they were beginning with 3 new contestants, they might get away with it; but if somebody was in the middle of a win streak on the last ep Alex did, I don’t see how they can just get rid of that person.

Now for another thought: Who can/might/will they get to host the rest of the season (they usually go to sometime in the Spring, I think)? They can’t get Meredith Vieira (whom I thought Alex said he might want); she has her own syndicated game show, 25 Words or Less, which is in its 2nd season. It tapes in LA, but she hosts via Skype, Zoom, satellite, or something else, from New York City. I’m guessing at least partly because her husband is in at least 2 COVID risk groups, because of age & the fact he’s had Multiple Sclerosis for a number of years now. He’s also legally blind.

• Love 5

And the first Double Dare in 1976, on CBS (Alex's only show for the Tiffany Network [his first show for Goodson-Todman, later to be Mark Goodson Productions], and a whole different animal from the Marc Summers kids game for Nickelodeon by that name):

• Love 3

He lived a hell of a lot longer than I expected and had made peace with his fate, but it still stings to lose Alex Trebek.  Sometimes his snark to a contestant was unearned, and the patronizing sexism will not be missed, but he was Jeopardy!'s best host and the show will never be the same with another.  He had a good sense of humor about himself.  As I said in the J! forum, he loved his work and his family, and you don't need more than that, but he was lucky enough to also be appreciated by millions of people.  He lived a great life, and I am going to miss his routine presence in mine.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 15

Amazing how Mr. Trebek seemed so vital even during his last appearances that I thought he'd completely beaten that cancer! Guess it was only skin deep.  I hope he got cheer from recent events before he left this world. RIP, Mr. Trebek! 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Amazing how Mr. Trebek seemed so vital even during his last appearances that I thought he'd completely beaten that cancer!

It can happen that way.  I lost my sister to cancer and up until the very last week I think a ot of people would not have known how sick she was.  Then it hit like hell and was over (in some ways thankfully) very quickly.  I hope this was the case for Mr Trebek as well.  That he went quickly and peacefully.

• Love 12

One of the great things about Jeopardy with Trebek, is that appealed to, or was appropriate viewing, for everyone. Young, old, all races, political party, sexual orientations etc.

I think it's probably going to be the last show that does that.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Michael J Fox shared touching story about Else Hansen

"It took me a long time to go to any of those Back to the Future conventions or Comic-Con conventions, and when I finally did go, she was there," Fox told USA Today. "It was so great to see her, and she was walking through the crowd and saying, 'Save the clock tower! Save the clock tower!'"

That was really cool of her to go to conventions and be in character. I love when people do that.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

While this is very sad, I'm tickling myself thinking of Sean Connery in the great hereafter greeting Alex with, "So we meet again, Trebek." R.I.P.

Me too. The SNL Jeopardy! skit that was posted in the thread, with Will Ferrell playing Trebek & somebody else playing Connery was funny.

• Love 6

The network morning shows all said Alex Trebek’s last Jeopardy! show is on Christmas Day; some had interviews with the show’s Executive Producer & others had interviews with various former champions &/or contestants.

I know Alex’s last show being on Christmas Day isn’t gonna make it easy for a lot of us to watch it, what with family obligations & possible pre-emptions on local stations for sports, if whichever leagues usually play on Christmas play on Christmas this year. But hopefully a lot of us can catch it, or DVR it & watch later. I’m definitely gonna try to watch “live” (it’s a little easier when you live in an assisted living center).

I was counting earlier this morning; Alex made it about 20 months. Sorry it couldn’t have been longer.

I almost forgot... 1 of my old friends was on Jeopardy!, during Alex’s tenure, years ago (she was also on the old Comedy Central game show Win Ben Stein’s Money after that). This was back in the day when the game shows would give you lengthy or lifetime supplies of all sorts of things as consolation prizes if you didn’t win, which she didn’t. Among the things she got was a huge supply of Rice-a-Roni (either a year’s supply or the equivalent of a lifetime supply, as I remember—anyway she had way more than she could eat in a timely manner). She & I were friends because of a certain shared fandom, & she sent all of us who were her friends through that fandom a box of it, so she could get rid of it faster.

• Love 15

RIP Alex

I think it was pretty apparent that Ken Jennings will be the new host, back when they did the Champions thing with Brad and James.

I, too, immediately thought about Connery and those SNL sketches.  Did they ever have a chance to meet in "real" life?

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

RIP Alex

I think it was pretty apparent that Ken Jennings will be the new host, back when they did the Champions thing with Brad and James.

I, too, immediately thought about Connery and those SNL sketches.  Did they ever have a chance to meet in "real" life?

I heard Alex say in his interview with Michael Strahan earlier this year that he and Sean Connery had actually never met. Too bad - if ever there was a missed photo op, it would be that. 

Another heartbreaking thing I heard Alex say was how sad he was to never have become a grandfather in his lifetime. I think he totally would have been a doting grandpa. 😢💔

• Love 5
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Check ABC On Demand.

I can access On Demand stuff easier on my TV apps, but thanks for the suggestion; I live in an assisted living center. Yes, they have cable, but not all the available channels & I don’t know about On Demand access.

• Love 2

Hopefully most of you will see this in time. There WILL be tributes to Alex Trebek at BOTH the beginning & end of today’s/tonight’s episode of Jeopardy!. The Executive Producer talks about him at the beginning; there’s a title card with a dedication to him in the end.

Continued in NEXT post. Sorry it got cut off!

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a period.
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I can access On Demand stuff easier on my TV apps, but thanks for the suggestion; I live in an assisted living center. Yes, they have cable, but not all the available channels & I don’t know about On Demand access.

I was just able to pull it up on the Hulu app on my iPhone by searching for 2020. 
😢😭

• Love 3
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That was nice but yeah a few sniffles at the end. We'll miss you Alex. 

Not to mention that the Executive Producer Mike Richards actually seemed on the verge of shedding tears especially towards the end! RIP, Mr. Trebek!

• Love 9
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was just able to pull it up on the Hulu app on my iPhone by searching for 2020. 
😢😭

I got it on my YouTube TV app on my iPhone (I could’ve also gotten it through Hulu, as you did). I think I searched Alex Trebek or Alex Trebek Remembered.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I hate to add to this list but NBA Hall of Fame member Tom Heinsohn died today. He was a player, coach and broadcaster for the Celtics. He and Bill Russell were rookies during the same year.

Obit:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/longtime-boston-celtics-player-broadcaster-tommy-heinsohn-dies/34632797

And as a CBS NBA color man alongside Dick Stockton (from the broadcast of the 1985 NBA Finals on CBS [then the World Championship Series], Game 4):

tomheinsohncbssports.jpg

Edited by bmasters9
On 11/8/2020 at 11:37 AM, Silver Raven said:

I was on Jeopardy!, but by rules, we weren't allowed to talk to Alex except on air, because they were worried about charges of collusion.  I wish I had had more interaction with him.

Understandable due to the events of the 1958 quiz show scandal.  It would have been nice if they could have arranged a separate meeting after the contestant leaves the show.

Totally bummed about Ken Spears!   His animation partner Joe Ruby died just a few weeks ago!  I always appreciated that they still received credit on any Scooby Doo project.  Of course, I also grew up watching many of the shows they created after they left HB (not to mention some live action projects like the TV version of "Planet of the Apes").  

RIP one and all.

• Love 2