Type keyword(s) to search

Remembering Alex Trebek

Athena
  • Start Topic

I remember the first time I ever got a Jeopardy question right as a little kid and how I felt like I was walking on air all night.  Alex has been in my living room off and on for most of my life.   I cannot say how much he will be missed.   

• Love 10

I am heart-broken...like people are saying, its like losing a member of our family.  Watching "Jeopardy" after dinner is part of the routine for hubby & me.  Amazing  that he worked right up to the end, I thought recently he sounded hoarse.   I had the experience of meeting Alex 'back in the day" when he had a mustache:  I was on "High Rollers" & it was so fun.   Alex is a part of American Culture.

• Love 18

One of my great disappointments in life is getting rejected at the interview stage of tryouts in the '90s.  

(I had bought Chuck Forrest's book, which said that he and his co-author knew of nobody who had ever reached the interviews and not made it on the show.  What is "wrong, Chuck!"?  Aced the test [aided by a lucky guess about Christopher Wren and St. Paul's] and followed the advice to not go straight down the categories in the simulated games, reached the final hurdle and apparently showed the social skills of a doorstop.)

So I have no picture to share, only my own sense of loss.  36 years of comfort and consistency, grace and good humor.

I am somewhat pleased that the final week to air before his passing included Alex being depressed at contestants flubbing clues on Canadian geography.  And all is right in the world… 

(How do three intelligent people not know that Labrador adjoins Québec?  Strange.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 19

I’m so sad!  And for everyone saying it’s like losing a member of your family, that’s so true!  I only had a mother for 15 years of my life, and Alex has been a part of my life for more than twice as long.  Bless him...I’m glad he is pain free, but I’m going to miss him so much!

• Love 13

I think he was actually talking about this on Thursday about the team song and the "this is Jeopardy" has always been a comforting thing for me.While I'm sure they'll keep this, it won't be the same if it isn't followed by him coming out. He is the only host of Jeopardy I know (as the one before was way before my time).With all the stress and anxiety I have right now, it was always reassuring to know that if I can Jeopardy was there as an escape. May you RIP Alex and thanks for the years of memories. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 10

I'm surprised at my own shock at this news.

And I am mad that this article is so wrong.

Mr. Trebek had suffered a series of health reversals in recent years, including two heart attacks and brain surgery, and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2019. He continued to host new episodes of his show until production was suspended in March because of the coronavirus pandemic, and after that he went on filming introductions to old episodes that were aired again.

It just completely ignores all the new shows he's done! I read the whole article and they don't mention it. Hopefully they'll correct it. It's silly to be upset about that, I suppose, but Jeopardy! fans like accuracy, and I think Alex himself would want the record straight.

edit: The article now says "He continued to host new episodes of his show until production was suspended in March because of the coronavirus pandemic, and then filmed socially distanced episodes that began airing Sept. 14."

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 14

Overall, Alex Trebek will be remembered for his leadership and success on Jeopardy, but many people may not be aware of Trebek's gameshow resume outside of Jeopardy! Other gameshows in my lifetime I grew up with include Double Dare, High Rollers, Classic Concentration, and To Tell The Truth.  Definitely a fairly longtime Goodson-Todson employee. He hosted on all three networks that have been Networks for at least 50 years (CBS in the 1970s, NBC in the 1980s - 1990s, and the ABC primetime specials for Jeopardy in 1990 and this past year).

Knew him as a rather serious emcee, but Alex had a sense of humor.  I'll never forget he love for TTTT because he said that he finally got to sit down while hosting a game show.

"Any man's death diminishes me." - John Donne. Rest in peace, Mr. Alex Trebek.

• Love 13

Do we know how many episodes are yet to be shown?

1 minute ago, Carey said:

Double Dare

Buzzr kept showing those over and over a few years ago. There were relatively so few I started memorizing them.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, dvr devotee said:

How far ahead did they usually film? Will we still have new episodes with him this week?

9 minutes ago, opus said:

Do we know how many episodes are yet to be shown?

That's a good question.  Unless I'm forgetting someone, the last person to pass on while still an active part of a show was Johnny Olson in 1985 for The Price Is Right.  Bob Barker mentioned that they would continue showing episodes that were taped with John before he died.  After he passed away they had his episodes run on CBS for a month and a half prior to his death.

25 years later in 2010, when Charlie O'Donnell died, the first Wheel of Forture episode that aired did not have Charlie announcing.  That might have been coincidental as I don't know or recall if they held any episodes until later in 2010-2011 as a tribute.  Could be a situation that O'Donnell was too ill to continue and it just happened that his final episode aired the last day before his passing.

I guess we'll find out soon; syndicated episodes usually taped more in advance of their airdate whereas network shows aren't as long

Edited by Carey
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Carey said:

That's a good question.  Unless I'm forgetting someone, the last person to pass on while still an active part of a show was Johnny Olson in 1985 for The Price Is Right.  Bob Barker mentioned that they would continue showing episodes that were taped with John before he died.  After he passed away they had his episodes run on CBS for a month and a half prior to his death.

25 years later in 2010, when Charlie O'Donnell died, the first Wheel of Forture episode that aired did not have Charlie announcing.  That might have been coincidental as I don't know if they held any episodes until later in 2010-2011

I was just going through the media thread and it was posted there his last day of filming was Oct. 29 and there’s enough episodes to last till Dec. 25.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

Most of the time I don't get that sad when a celebrity dies but this is one of those exceptions.  I am really saddened by this.  I knew it was coming but I always put it out of my mind as long as I saw Alex still hosting the show.  He was an icon, just like Johnny Carson was an icon.  A daily fixture in our living rooms with his intelligence and wit.  I will miss him.

• Love 14

I'll let God deal with cancer and 2020 and whatever else.  In the meantime, I have to thank saber for sharing that message from Alex.  I knew in my heart that Mr. Trebek would have something prepared to be released posthumously.  Very nice words, thank you.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Most of the time I don't get that sad when a celebrity dies but this is one of those exceptions.  I am really saddened by this.  I knew it was coming but I always put it out of my mind as long as I saw Alex still hosting the show.  He was an icon, just like Johnny Carson was an icon.  A daily fixture in our living rooms with his intelligence and wit.  I will miss him.

I think the last celebrity death that actually made me cry was Robin Williams.

RIP, Alex. 

• Love 6

I'm going to see if I can find "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", hands down the best X Files episode and my favorite Trebek appearance. Well, that and the final episode of The Colbert Report.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Carey said:

I'll let God deal with cancer and 2020 and whatever else.  In the meantime, I have to thank saber for sharing that message from Alex.  I knew in my heart that Mr. Trebek would have something prepared to be released posthumously.  Very nice words, thank you.

I saw that in an interview from earlier this year. It was not released posthumously. It had already appeared elsewhere.

... (Edit) found it! This January 2020 article from the LA Times says it's from a live ABC primetime broadcast that aired around the beginning of the year.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
include link
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For all that we made fun of his accents, and pronunciations (genre, anyone?), and his occasional obvious sexism, he really was very very good at his job.  And a cultural icon.  I'll miss him.  

Exactly.  I will not miss the sexism, but I'm going to miss him, terrible impressions and all. 

I'm sad it happened during a hiatus, so that he didn't get those final 30 seconds to sign off like he'd wanted.  But on the flip side, his final deterioration happening during hiatus meant he didn't have to decide when to say when on the job he loved so much.  On air, he'll have left on a high note. 

And he lived far longer than expected and had made peace with his fate.  He loved his work and his family, and you don't need more than that; he had the bonus of being loved by millions.  He had a great life, but I'm sure going to miss his nightly presence in mine.  (I missed the last two weeks' episodes for various reasons, and now I'm sad I missed 10 of my last chances.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Overall, Alex Trebek will be remembered for his leadership and success on Jeopardy, but many people may not be aware of Trebek's gameshow resume outside of Jeopardy! Other gameshows in my lifetime I grew up with include Double Dare, High Rollers, Classic Concentration, and To Tell The Truth.  Definitely a fairly longtime Goodson-Todson employee. 

Very longstanding - and before he began his career  in the U.S., he hosted a quiz show in Canada (starting in the sixties) for high school students called "Reach For The Top". He's in his twenties here:

Trebek's favourite parody was Eugene Levy's, which riffs on his time hosting Reach For The Top:

Farewell, Alex. You made the world a better place.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 22

My dad texted me just as I was walking into church. Thank God that with 3 kids I always have Kleenex in my purse because I cried all during Mass. It's not easy to have to keep blowing your nose under a mask. 

The whole Toothbrush family loves Jeopardy & Alex and will miss him greatly. We stayed with my parents briefly last summer while house hunting, and after dinner all 7 of us - ages 10 thru mid-70s - settled in to watch. Yes, he could be a product of his time, but having to have off-the-cuff conversations with dozens of people each week couldn't be easy, even for someone as professional, intelligent, & friendly as he seemed to be. 

RIP to the GOAT, and condolences to his family & loved ones. 

• Love 13

I had the honor of meeting Alex I believe twice, both when I took the Jeopardy contestant test.  I remember him as a charming, thoughtful man who tried to put us all at ease.  
One of the times I took the test, I was coming from a radiation treatment for lymphoma.  Even though I did not do well as I wanted to, it was so wonderful to have the experience during that trying time of my life.

RIP, Alex.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, opus said:

I was just going through the media thread and it was posted there his last day of filming was Oct. 29 and there’s enough episodes to last till Dec. 25.

The date could not be more fitting😢. It's like a last Christmas gift. 

• Love 21

I am beyond heartbroken right now. Alex and J! began in September 1984. I had just started kindergarten. Some of my fondest memories of my childhood are watching the show with Grandma. To this day, I watch with my folks on my nights off. Here's just one more reason why 2020 needs to go away.

RIP Alex - and thank you for everything. God rest you, sir. 🙏💔🇨🇦

• Love 7

There's a lot I could say--a lot I WANT to say-- but I'm not quite sure how to put it together in a cohesive post at the moment, so instead, for the time being, I'll post this very charming conversation between him and his good friend Regis Philbin, who himself passed away in July.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 12

I saw the CBC alert pop up on my phone this morning.

It has been an exceptionally difficult week, with two long-term patients of mine dying on Friday (both were infants), on top of the stress of the election. This is devastating about Alex, but I honestly don't really have the emotion to spare. It has just been too much this week.

• Love 4

Poor Mel Brooks...it's been well known for many years that he and his best friend Carl Reiner would eat dinner and watch J! together every night. Not only did Mel lose Carl earlier this year, but now he's lost Alex! 😢

In a very 2020 twist of fate, his SNL "rival", Sean Connery, passed away just last week. Ironically, Alex said once that he and Sean Connery had actually never met.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

The date could not be more fitting😢. It's like a last Christmas gift. 

I was wondering though, after the initial grief passes, if they may think about somehow delaying that. Because it had been announced the new NBA season is starting on Dec. 22, partly to get their schedule of Christmas games on, and after that tradition started, in my area Jeopardy was never shown on Christmas because of it.

Edited by opus
  • Love 3

Johnny Gilbert is 96 years old, too! It is going to be weird for me not hearing Alex saying Thank you, Johnny Gilbert or Johnny Gilbert introducing Alex Trebek. It is going to be a totally different atmosphere.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 6