Type keyword(s) to search

Remembering Alex Trebek

Athena
  • Start Topic

I wonder if Google always had that about AT as an Easter egg. My DTP software had its competitor's name misspelled in its library, and if you hit a certain combo of keys a Martian would appear and shoot your copy off the page with his ray gun.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 5
On 12/4/2020 at 11:25 PM, Bliss said:

Only because I'm practicing getting used to "googling" stuff... I decided to look up the jigsaw puzzle I bought. Voila! (In Canuck, it's "walla!")

This link shows the puzzle box, the book inside (cool info) and the puzzle pieces. If any of you want to promote Alex's love of geography and have little ones to treat, I recommend it. Quality product for a small price. (Back of the box says Cdn $17.95 but I happen to know they're $9.99 at Costco.) It also says not recommended for under 36 months. I cannot see a 3 yr old doing this puzzle alone... they'd definitely need adult snoopervision (my word).

I put it together - so I could take it apart in 24 sections and wrap each one up for advent calendar purposes. I love making kids happy!

Amazon says "Out of stock; unavailable."  It's in my wish list now.

• Love 1
On 12/17/2020 at 7:03 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Amazon says "Out of stock; unavailable."  It's in my wish list now.

@Bliss should be getting a commission on those. I want one too.

I liked seeing the ad for Alex's book after/during yesterday's show. I'd like the book on tape, please.

• Love 3

Alex was the clue and the answer in today's (Monday, December 28, 2020) NY Times crossword puzzle:

Spoiler

image.png.45cbeedbcfdafac5f30217c53fdcff01.png

Note the vertical intersection with earlier television host Jack Paar.

Monday puzzles in the NY Times are easier, and so likely have a wider readership. ♥️

• Love 1

I'm late to this thread, but figured I'd post my Alex memory here, by request. A lot of you already know the story, but I filmed my episode, as part of the Teachers Tournament, on April 1, 2019. This was the first set of episodes taped after Alex announced his condition, and it was in the middle of James's historic run.

Alex had a lot of respect for veterans, and I had mentioned my service during my interview.  At the end of the taping, i was disheartened. I struggled with the buzzer and was upset with myself. I wasn't emba, but I knew I was a better player than my final score reflected. Anyway, Alex was kind and gracious. We talked about where I'd been stationed, and he shared a story with me about a visit he'd made to one of the bases I'd loved at. He told me I wouldn't have been chosen if I weren't smart and that the buzzer is the difference maker.

The following month after the taping, my mother died suddenly. Three months later, my father died suddenly, too. A month after my dad died, my mom's best friend died suddenly. Most people say 2020 was their worst year ever, but for me personally, 2019 was devastating. I lost my parents and someone who'd been a godmother to me in four months, all suddenly. 

However, I now realize how lucky I was. My parents were both able to attend my taping, and when I went to LA for my audition in January 2019, I took my mom with me on the road trip. My partner at the time was NOT happy that I chose to take my mom instead of her,  but in hindsight I'm so glad I did. It ended up being our last road trip together,  something we'd always done a few times a year.

What no one tells you is that the Jeopardy community is strong for former contestants. My group from the Teachers Tournament has remained in touch and even done some online trivia games as a team. They were amazing during my grieving. Several of them sent gifts for my graduating seniors last May. This past summer, we lost Vicki Leibeck-Owsley to cancer, and we all mourned her together. It really is a community, and I'm better for having met such amazing people, including Alex.

• Love 19
23 minutes ago, teebax said:

I'm late to this thread, but figured I'd post my Alex memory here, by request. A lot of you already know the story, but I filmed my episode, as part of the Teachers Tournament, on April 1, 2019. This was the first set of episodes taped after Alex announced his condition, and it was in the middle of James's historic run.

Alex had a lot of respect for veterans, and I had mentioned my service during my interview.  At the end of the taping, i was disheartened. I struggled with the buzzer and was upset with myself. I wasn't emba, but I knew I was a better player than my final score reflected. Anyway, Alex was kind and gracious. We talked about where I'd been stationed, and he shared a story with me about a visit he'd made to one of the bases I'd loved at. He told me I wouldn't have been chosen if I weren't smart and that the buzzer is the difference maker.

The following month after the taping, my mother died suddenly. Three months later, my father died suddenly, too. A month after my dad died, my mom's best friend died suddenly. Most people say 2020 was their worst year ever, but for me personally, 2019 was devastating. I lost my parents and someone who'd been a godmother to me in four months, all suddenly. 

However, I now realize how lucky I was. My parents were both able to attend my taping, and when I went to LA for my audition in January 2019, I took my mom with me on the road trip. My partner at the time was NOT happy that I chose to take my mom instead of her,  but in hindsight I'm so glad I did. It ended up being our last road trip together,  something we'd always done a few times a year.

What no one tells you is that the Jeopardy community is strong for former contestants. My group from the Teachers Tournament has remained in touch and even done some online trivia games as a team. They were amazing during my grieving. Several of them sent gifts for my graduating seniors last May. This past summer, we lost Vicki Leibeck-Owsley to cancer, and we all mourned her together. It really is a community, and I'm better for having met such amazing people, including Alex.

Ohhh...I am so sorry to hear of your losses, my condolences to you.  What a wonderful memory of your trip to LA with your Mom.  And how nice that your group stays in touch.   Thanks for sharing your memories   Sending you hugs..

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I turned on the Today Show this morning to listen to see if there’s any important news while I was making my morning cuppa. It was a montage of the people we have lost in 2020 and of course I was still in the room to see their tribute 30 seconds to Alex. It made that first sip of tea hard to swallow. 

Just about to take my first sip of tea and tearing up reading this. 
Jeopardy was appointment TV for my parents every day at 5pm for at least their last 30 years together--until Dad died and Mom lost her will to live. Mom passed in August. For me, joining in collectively mourning Alex is like having funeral services that we could never have. 
Thanks again, Alex.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

FYI, the ebook of Alex’s book The Answer Is is on sale today for $4.99. 

Ooh, thanks for the heads up! I just looked on my library website; there's an 8-week wait for the ebook. Might just buy it.

• Love 1

Just so very, very sad... this is almost worse than the day Alex died. It's as if he keeps leaving... over and over.

I'm gutted. I may take a J! break... it just won't be the same without him. Not that I'm not going to give *whoever* a chance - I'm not that kind of person - however, I need to heal and right now, this pain is raw. Time will tell. It always does.

• Love 2

Very nice ending! I shed a tear or two but no legit crying.  I was still super-emotional as much as I was early in November.  From knowing that it was officially ending to the point where it’s officially over, there goes a part of life that is gone forever.  There are eras that come and go, and then there is this one.  As mentioned, Alex was the best, full of class and charisma.  A major icon all around!

I’m out as well.  Similar to TPIR, the show is bigger than the host.  That might be the polite thing to say, but at the end of the day, similar to Price and Bob, Alex was the face of Jeopardy. 

I’ll be tough for the successors, but in my opinion, it’ll be a lot tougher than it was for Bob.  It took time for Drew after his debut but not too long.  Whatever happens and whoever succeeds Alex, I believe Jeopardy will be okay down the road.  It’ll be exactly what Alex would want when we get to that point.

Touching tribute, fantastic run.  Thank you and so long, Alex.

• Love 2

My heart is full - and broken. I am just going to repost my reply from the S36 thread here...it's too emotional to write all over again.

I would have been crying watching Alex's final episode under regular circumstances. The events of this week just made it worse. When Alex's first episode aired on September 10, 1984, I had just started kindergarten, had welcomed a new baby brother and would turn 5 later in the month. From that day on, he was always there as an oasis of calm, comfort and consistency. We've known he was gone since November, but now that the last of his episodes have aired there really is finality to it - and in the worst possible week. I think that's why all of America cried a little longer and harder tonight.

Thank you, Alex. So long. 🙏💔😢

• Love 2

Today's crossword in the Chicago Tribune: 27 Down: "I'm curious about everything--even things that don't interest me" speaker. 

Got this one right away (clue used his full name). RIP Alex.

• Love 4
On 1/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, illdoc said:

Today's crossword in the Chicago Tribune: 27 Down: "I'm curious about everything--even things that don't interest me" speaker. 

I saw that one too! The Washington Post runs the same puzzle, it comes from the LA Times.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, illdoc said:

There was another one today.

• Love 1

The station that carries Jeopardy! here shows reruns of past episodes on Saturday when they aren't showing a sports event. Last night, they showed an episode with Alex Trebek, which was bittersweet.  Nice to see Alex some more, but also sad that he's gone.

• Love 3