Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Damn, damn, DAMN.  And she's on this week's cover of People since she was so close to her hundredth birthday. Two weeks, that's all she needed. Damn.

Goodbye, Betty, you beautiful soul. Generous in spirit and kind of heart, and for all the talk of how she relied on 'dirty old lady' humor in her later years, I'll be watching The Lost Valentine tonight in remebrance, where she brought me to tears more than once.

2021, you suck.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Damn, damn, DAMN.  And she's on this week's cover of People since she was so close to her hundredth birthday. Two weeks, that's all she needed. Damn.

To be honest, all that premature birthday talk was making me uneasy.  RI.P. Ms. White.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

To be honest, all that premature birthday talk was making me uneasy.  RI.P. Ms. White.  

Same. Literally as I was reading all the plans for her big 100th, I thought, "I bet she doesn't make it." 

I'm never too broken up when someone passes away at this age. I just choose to see it as moving on rather than a tragedy. Betty lived a long, full and amazing life and she left us an amazing body of work.

• Love 22

Well this sucks. But way to go out like a boss saying fuck you 2021, I don't even need to see what 2022 brings. 99 is just fine.

It totally is a bummer how we lost so many from the MTM show this year. That's everybody now. 😪

• Love 6

When Ed Asner died in August and there was NO  recorded comment about what he'd meant to Miss White when she came onboard as Sue Ann who turned the tough ole grizzly Lou Grant into putty, I KNEW it was a bad sign  that she was not in the best of health because how their characters interacted was key to how Sue Ann was received. In fact, before Sue Ann came onboard MTM, Miss White had been somewhat written off as a bland, vanilla joke and  it's likely that she'd have stayed typecast as that the rest of her life and vaunted into obscurity (in spite of being one of the first women to produce her own sitcom Life with Elizabeth [1952]) as well as having produced and  hosted a home show The Betty White Show [1954]). 

Well, now one can imagine that there's nothing to stop Sue Ann from chasing Lou and Murray from zinging her- and Rose from bombarding Dorothy, Blanche and Sophia with St. Olaf stories! 

RIP, Miss White! 

• Love 18

I really didn't expect it. Betty lived all the way to 99 and still working I assumed she would be around a few more years. She lived a very full life and so many great parts. Sue Ellen and Rose being her most famous ones. She was really good as both. I'm sure their having a great Mary Tyler Moore and Golden Girls reunion up in Heaven. I'm sure my mom and grandma are happy to meet the entire cast. But it still stinks. I wish she had a few more years down here. Thank you Betty. You were so talented and always be remembered. Rest in Peace.  

• Love 18

I was just surfing reddit when I came across a post of her and Alex Tebek and at first I thought they put the RIP on the wrong person. Then I did a quick google search and saw it was true :(. 

I kept hearing about her 100 day party and was looking forward to see it. She was only two weeks away from reaching it. RIP Betty White and you were a great inspiration to me and many other people. 

• Love 15

I am legitimately crying.  Ms. White meant so much to so many, and showed that elder people can not only have fun, but be productive, teach, be gracious while hurting physically, and was an all around beautiful soul.

The world is a much crueler and sadder place without her in it.

RIP Betty.  You certainly deserve it.  And thank you so much for all the years of laughter.

• Love 14

Well, fuck.

Seriously universe, you couldn't have waited two more weeks?  Betty White was like Stan Lee, one of those fixed points in life that you assume will always be there (intellectually we all know that's not true, but still...)  At least she gets to see Allen again.

C'mon 2022, we really need a good turn here!

• Love 23
7 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

George Burns had a show booked for his 100th birthday years in advance. He died about a month short. Maybe they should rethink this kind of victory lap.

George Burns made it to 100 (January 20, 1896 – March 9, 1996), he was just too weak to do his performance:

When Burns was 96, he had signed a lifetime contract with Caesars Palace in Las Vegas to perform stand-up comedy there, which included the guarantee of a show on his centenary, January 20, 1996. When that day actually came, however, he was too weak to deliver the planned performance. He released a statement joking how he would love for his 100th birthday to have "a night with Sharon Stone."

Edited by Popples
Added information
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8

While Betty White will be remembered primarily for The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Golden Girls, she was also pitch perfect on The Carol Burnett Show playing Eunice's sister Ellen in the "Family" sketches.

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 24

I love Sue Ann, and i love Rose Nylund, but i feel the urge to watch Password, Pyramid and Match Game episodes that feature Betty. The wit and brilliance of Betty White in game shows are truly unparalleled.

• Love 21

I've read about the speculation about problems on set, but I think it was exaggerated to sell tabloids.   

All four women were consumate professionals, and though they very seldom socialized in their real lives, they seemed to genuinely like each other.  All four participated in animal charities, and other causes.   

I read that on filming days Bea wouldn't go to lunch unless Betty went with her.     They were just very different people who worked together.      

I'm sure there was rivalry when award season came along, they all seemed to support each other.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

While we're talking about Betty White, any truth to the rumor that she didn't get on with Bea Arthur?

I'm pretty sure even Bea Arthur's son said that Bea didn't treat Betty very well.

I rewatched "The Proposal" last year in January for Betty White's 99th birthday!

I really enjoyed all of "Hot in Cleveland" too, even though "The Golden Girls" is my favourite.  A lot of people don't mention "The Golden Palace", but honestly, I liked it!  Don Cheadle was in it too!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12
15 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Loved this Golden Girls scene. Jenny Lewis, who played the teddy-bear-stealing demon seed, posted it:

I love that scene, too.  And good for Lewis posting it in tribute, especially since she'd relied on it for her music video:

• Useful 5
  • Love 8

While in a YouTube rabbit hole of Betty White videos, I was reminded of her hilarious guest stint on Ugly Betty, opposite Vanessa Williams's Wilhelmina Slater:

So many good lines ("Well I adore them...except for the few sickos who write lesbian fan-fiction about me and Bea Arthur" LOL) and little bits (I love her moving St. Pierre's arm down so that he doesn't block her from the camera) in the few minutes of this subplot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
14 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I finally watched It's a Wonderful Life after all these years. Very sad to hear this news.  

I've seen this movie several times but not recently and I can't remember the character of  "Little Violet Bick" at all! Time to watch it again clearly!  On the passing of the actress, it was nice to read that she left show business and made a career for herself as a psychologist.  I do feel sorry for child actors who can't move on from their early fame and are miserable because of it but it's so nice to hear about those who managed to get on with their lives and, hopefully, had a good time along the way.

• Love 5