Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Should Joy-Anna and Austin not work out, mom Michelle Duggar told Today.com that there's no such thing as a "failed courtship." Every courtship leads someone one step closer to the person they're meant to be with forever. 

So a failed courtship isn't "giving away pieces of your heart?" Is that because you're not giving away pieces of your vagina??

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

So a failed courtship isn't "giving away pieces of your heart?" Is that because you're not giving away pieces of your vagina??

Well, given that they can't even hold hands until officially engaged, it's not quite THAT serious! At least in their eyes, because apparently it's impossible to give away a piece of your heart to someone unless you've had physical contact. Which, I will grant that the physical part of it can be a major factor, but I've kissed people who never really crossed my mind again, and pined long and hard for those I had only the most fleeting contact with.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

No, it's because they refuse to admit that anything they do could possibly have any of them same pitfalls as anything the heathens do (the pitfalls of anything the heathens do being understood to be, always, absolutely workshaking and soul-destroying, of course).

So since dating -- including going out for a couple of bowling nights and a few burgers with someone -- does inevitably and irrevocably and to your great harm give away pieces of your heart, then, ergo, their method, in which you see one person exclusively with great internal and external pressure to marry that person as soon as possible, does not. Can't. Because they dreamed it up to be the opposite of dating. So it is. No matter what happens. No matter how it ends. Because the biblical patriarchs have decreed it so.

See how that works?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16

On the Fort Rock Family Facebook, the Ballinger's are announcing their son Austin's courtship to Joy.  Me being the comments -reading addict that I am, enjoyed the questions pertaining to Austin's job and income and ensuring the married couple will live in their own home, and not with the family.

Edited by louannems
Joy! Not Jill!
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, louannems said:

On the Fort Rock Family Facebook, the Ballinger's are announcing their son Austin's courtship to Jill. Me being the comments -reading addict that I am, enjoyed the questions pertaining to Austin's job and income and ensuring the married couple will live in their own home, and not with the family.

They'll live in Miss Kitty's house down at the end of town.

• Love 2

Crazy days and nights has another blind item that is probably about the duggars.  Again.  It stated something about arranging marriages of the children for the sake of their reality show.  Sister wives was another guess.  I would copy and paste the link, but it doesn't work very well on my Kindle.

All Jim boob needs now is a long purple pimp coat, platform shoes and nice hat with a feather in it.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, toodles said:

Crazy days and nights has another blind item that is probably about the duggars.  Again.  It stated something about arranging marriages of the children for the sake of their reality show.  Sister wives was another guess.  I would copy and paste the link, but it doesn't work very well on my Kindle.

All Jim boob needs now is a long purple pimp coat, platform shoes and nice hat with a feather in it.

I can't think of any marriages of Sister Wives kids that were arranged...certainly not Mykelti's!

• Love 2

I thought I knew a lot about these fools, but ever since I've been on this thread, I find I'm woefully ignorant compared to most of you. So, I need to ask, who's "Pickles" and where do I find her, and what's  "Free Jinger"? Are they Facebook pages?

5 hours ago, louannems said:

Color me old, but do they now give clothing at bridal showers?  Lingerie is one thing but real clothes.  I guess since lingerie would be a no-no for them & since Jinge will have to leave clothes behind for Jana, they have to go with clothes.  I do like the dress though. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Bunnygirl said:

I thought I knew a lot about these fools, but ever since I've been on this thread, I find I'm woefully ignorant compared to most of you. So, I need to ask, who's "Pickles" and where do I find her, and what's  "Free Jinger"? Are they Facebook pages?

'Pickles' is a facebook page run by a leghumper that pretends she isn't a leghumper (she occasionally criticizes the Duggars, sort of).  She's actually a teacher, but her her fascination with all things Duggar, her antagonistic attitude if even mildly challenged, and her frequent use of the Ban Button makes me worry about how well she's able to teach her young students.  Pickles spends a lot of time searching the internet for pictures of the Duggars, which she then posts on her own site with her own watermark.  She's a real trip.

Free Jinger (http://www.freejinger.org/forum/204-discussions/ ) started out as a vehicle to discuss the Duggars when TWoP made it difficult, even impossible, to discuss anything about the Duggars that wasn't actually shown on their show.  Back then, Jinger was seen as the kid most likely to leave the cult due to her attitude of sassiness and epic eye rolls when someone in her family said something cringe worthy or did something stupid.  It's now evolved into a site for "Intelligent discussion about controversial topics, primarily extremists and religious fundamentalists, and the negative impact they have on our society."  The Duggars, Bates, Rodrigues, and Maxwell families are still discussed, but there are a lot of other things to read and talk about over there.  It's not as strictly moderated, thread drift is allowed and sometimes even encouraged.  Lurking for awhile and reading their SODRT section is a good idea before you start posting.  You'll probably start out finding yourself reading in the Quiverfull of Snark and the Quiverfull of Subforums.

8 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Color me old, but do they now give clothing at bridal showers?  Lingerie is one thing but real clothes.  I guess since lingerie would be a no-no for them & since Jinge will have to leave clothes behind for Jana, they have to go with clothes.  I do like the dress though. 

Is one of them now schilling Lularoe?

• Love 2
On 11/20/2016 at 1:45 PM, RazzleberryPie said:

Is one of them now schilling Lularoe?

Maybe someone's shopping from Meri Brown.

That's Lularoe's Amelia dress for sure, and possibly one of the most expensive gifts she'll get from her friends. 

• Love 1
On 11/19/2016 at 7:54 PM, toodles said:

They revealed the duggars are the subject of the blind.  One of the commenters said mechelle' s hair is thing directly from Satan.

• Love 3

Jinjer pregnant?

Wow Jim Bob not only times weddings for the show  he gets the girls to ovulate on their honeymoons! This guy is magic! 

Jessa was rebellious and waited 4 months BUT she is pregnant on #2, so all is forgiven. 

40 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Jinjer pregnant?

Wow Jim Bob not only times weddings for the show  he gets the girls to ovulate on their honeymoons! This guy is magic! 

Jessa was rebellious and waited 4 months BUT she is pregnant on #2, so all is forgiven. 

That link in the post above immediately gave me one of those bogus "your system is heavily damaged by a virus" warnings wanting me to download their cleaning app...My son says those are malware attempts and very unlikely to be able to damage a phone, which I was working from, so we just backed out of it, but could be more problematic for a computer. I'm not terribly tech-savvy, so glad he happened to be around! LOL

• Love 2

I'm not opening it, since the tabloids are all starting in with the "Jinger is pregnant" bullshit. Yes, if she got pregnant on her wedding night, she could theoretically be 5 weeks along, but even Jilly Muffin didn't announce that early, other than to her family when the pee stick was still wet. 

However, even Jill didn't get pregnant until she was home from her honeymoon! It took her 10 whole days! 

It's just a situation in which the tabloids will get it right if they keep hammering on this particular theme.....eventually Jinger WILL be pregnant, and whoever "wrote" an article about it that day will take all the credit for breaking the news. If the tabloids had any brains, they would know that Duggars only make announcements on Tuesdays before their show airs that night. So even if Jinger gets pregnant between now and say, mid-December and they know by the time the show comes back in January, they're not going to announce it until the first episode's airdate. 

Don't EVER download any kind of "your PC/mobile/whatever is infected" things! They are malware.

I don't even care if she is or isn't, and anyway, doesn't it take a wee bit longer to establish if you are?

JinJer's wedding doesn't interest me at all. They court. They marry. They pop babies left, right and centre. So what?

Just now, MunichNark said:

Don't EVER download any kind of "your PC/mobile/whatever is infected" things! They are malware.

I don't even care if she is or isn't, and anyway, doesn't it take a wee bit longer to establish if you are?

JinJer's wedding doesn't interest me at all. They court. They marry. They pop babies left, right and centre. So what?

Edit, actually, that Pickles one will take credit, since she seems to think she IS the be all and end all and could teach all of us a thing or two:-))

• Love 3

Well, at least they'd have to change the opening of the show, if it ever (heaven forbid) returns.   '20 kids and counting'  but Michelle can no longer crow, "Yes, and I delivered every one of them."

Edited by luvmylabs
  • Love 3
On 11/19/2016 at 9:54 PM, toodles said:

Aaaaaaaaand instead of his pimp cup with pimp juice, he can carry a drippy sundae instead.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

The 19 Kids and Counting stars have been granted permanent custody of their 8-year-old great-nephew, Tyler Wayne Hutchins, ET has learned.

Aaaaannnnnnd the paperwork is being filed to change his name to Jyler.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, flyingdi said:

If the mother signed over guardianship to the Duggars, wouldn't the judge have to grant them custody?

I know it's different by state. What I know is , temporary guardianship is between parent (s) and guardians and doesn't have to go to court. Extended Guardianship goes before a judge and is granted if the parties simpkly agree. If the child is 14 ir older, they also have a say. Temporary is normally 6 months or less.

Sorry fot typos, it won't let me edit.

• Love 1

I just hope Tyler is allowed to be his own person in that house.  That he has his own stuff and some measure of privacy.   Because honestly I think his Great Aunt Michelle's house of weirdo dysfunctional hyper "fundamentalism" will mess the poor boy up.   I also hope his mother gets on the road to recovery soon and can regain custody.  

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, EAG46 said:

I just hope Tyler is allowed to be his own person in that house.  That he has his own stuff and some measure of privacy.   Because honestly I think his Great Aunt Michelle's house of weirdo dysfunctional hyper "fundamentalism" will mess the poor boy up.   I also hope his mother gets on the road to recovery soon and can regain custody.  

There is zero chance of any of this happening. No one is allowed one second of privacy in the TTH. No one is allowed to have any possessions of their own. He will be expected to blend into the pack and disappear. I'm sure that all of the hyper-fundie ways will be confusing, but there is no one in the house who will even realize how strange it is to him. 

He will never be seen again -- no school, no Sunday School, no sports, no doctor visits, no friends, nothing.

• Love 11

I just hope Tyler is allowed to be his own person in that house.  That he has his own stuff and some measure of privacy.

I doubt that will happen, the Duggars believe their parenting style is God-ordained and they're not going to change for their nephew unless required to by the court system.

I have guardianship of my grandson and I have to file a guardianship report with the court every year. The report lists his doctor, school, and teachers, as well as his general physical and mental state of being. AFAIK, there are no restrictions on how I educate or maintain his health, but I also have to give his last doctor's/dentist's appointment date. A friend of mine is the foster parent of her nephew and she HAS to take him to yearly check-ups and enroll him in public school, even though she's a teacher in a private school and he could attend for free. However, these rules differ by state.

• Love 4

Do the Duggars get any kind of compensation from the state for Tyler?  I know foster parents get a subsidy.  And foster children in NJ get Medicaid and free pre-schooling, tutoring, summer programs and school lunches (not that he would).

Edited by sheshark
2 hours ago, sheshark said:

Do the Duggars get any kind of compensation from the state for Tyler?  I know foster parents get a subsidy.  And foster children in NJ get Medicaid and free pre-schooling, tutoring, summer programs and school lunches (not that he would).

It probably depends on the State. My aunt and uncle in Mass. have legal guardianship of three of their grandchildren. The only help they get is the kids are on the State health insurance. They make too much money to qualify for Food Stamps or daycare subsidies, so they're pretty much on their own.

Honestly J'Tyler would've been better off in foster care. At least there'd be some accountability with the authorities. Now the poor kid is just going to be swept up in the Duggar vortex of neglect and ignorance. I guess "white" and "Christian" are the only criteria judges in Arkansas use to determine if a couple are capable guardians.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, sheshark said:

I don't know about the Duggars, but I Found this:

What is the Arkansas Subsidized Guardianship Act?

Arkansas guardianships under the Subsidized Guardianship Act receive funding—just as in foster care—from the Department of Human Services (DHS).  There are a large number of qualifying factors for these types of Arkansas guardianships, and section 9-8-204 of the state code lists qualifying factors: 

1. the child has been removed from the custody of their parents because continued care would decrease the welfare of the child

2. the department is responsible for the placement and care of the child

3. being returned home or being adopted is not an option for the child

4. permanent placement within an Arkansas guardianship meets the best interests of the child

5. the child demonstrates a strong attachment to the guardian and the guardians shows strong commitment to the child

6. if the child is 14, the child has been consulted regarding Arkansas guardianships

7. the guardian is qualified to a means-based test

8. if required, a certain degree or relationship exists between the child and the guardian

9. the child has special needs

That's a bit spread out, sorry.

(fixed for easier reading --frenchtoast)

Edited by frenchtoast
Removed extra spaces

I  have guardianship of my 2 nephews due to my sister is in the army .  I  have drop in surprise ss visits once a week and I  have to give them a weekly report and so do their teachers. I  do not get any assistance as they are still dependants of my sister and gets benefits from her . 

• Love 1