Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

LOL, TLC let that cat out of the bag two weeks ago, but no one would listen to me! 

Hey, I agreed with you all along. :) The show is already nearly on life support. No way would TLC drag out things and not show the wedding until next season.

• Love 3
On 11/2/2016 at 7:32 PM, Churchhoney said:

This is one of those things I try very hard to forget! (as I recall, the Menendez brothers had better guts and hairlines, though....)

A sadistic organization could use it for a retreat house.

And that would keep up the traditions of the place, too.

Well one may have.  The older one wore a wig (now that I have said wig I have the B52's song Wig in my head).  At his young age!

• Love 1

They must have JUST gotten renewed, since two weeks ago TLC said it was two episodes until the wedding. TLC can get the material out, but they're going to make people wait for it. 

Cross posting the "We're Married" video from the Duggalo thread, since it's TLC.

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/jinger-duggar-and-jeremy-voulo-are-married-watch-a-message-from-the-happy-couple/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=countingontlc&sf41263461=1

1 hour ago, sometimesy said:

Maybe Jinger will get a honeymoon special like Jessa = free honeymoon.

I don't think there's any other way they would have gone to Australia & New Zealand if TLC isn't footing the bill. 

• Love 8

What floors me is their wedding registries never got publicized which means that Jeremy might have put his foot down on the ridiculousness that were Jill and Jessa's registries (i.e. enough for an army).

• Love 6

Perhaps Jeremy either had the sense to realize how that would look to his church members, didn't want to refurnish the TTH so soon, or didn't want to rent three or four storage units to hold it all.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

Perhaps Jeremy either had the sense to realize how that would look to his church members, didn't want to refurnish the TTH so soon, or didn't want to rent three or four storage units to hold it all.

All of the above...I can only imagine the looks on the faces of his relatives upon seeing Gatorade, Froot Loops, and duct tape on their registry.  WHO does THAT? Besides Duggars I mean.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

All of the above...I can only imagine the looks on the faces of his relatives upon seeing Gatorade, Froot Loops, and duct tape on their registry.  WHO does THAT? Besides Duggars I mean.

I keep forgetting that Jeremy has normal friends and relatives.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Honestly if you think about all the kids involved, it gives them something inexpensive to buy as a gift if they wanted to participate. Its rather nice if you think of it that way AND its what the Dugs intended. I'm more put off by the hundreds of towels (WTF) and expensive Apple products.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Don't forget the kayak!

Oh, I knew there were some other doosies but forgot most of them. I was actually most offended by the multiple items, even if not very expensive, because it appeared that they were re-stocking the TTH.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Almost 3000 said:

Honestly if you think about all the kids involved, it gives them something inexpensive to buy as a gift if they wanted to participate. Its rather nice if you think of it that way AND its what the Dugs intended. I'm more put off by the hundreds of towels (WTF) and expensive Apple products.

I don't have an issue with having something affordable for the kids on the registry. These grocery items just bugged me as attempts for Boob to stock his larder.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Almost 3000 said:

Interesting point of view. I would never think cereal or tape were acceptable for a registry. Here it's perfectly acceptable for people to 'go in' on a gift together to bring the cost down and maybe that's not ok in Arkansas?

It's not only the products they had listed, it's the greed that was on display. Let's have this, and this, and two of these, and if someone comes over one of these. Great TV ministry there folks.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, maraleia said:

What floors me is their wedding registries never got publicized which means that Jeremy might have put his foot down on the ridiculousness that were Jill and Jessa's registries (i.e. enough for an army).

I think those silly greedy registries were such a tell on how poorly socialized the Duggar kids have been.

It's a hoot for an engaged couple to run around a Target store with the scanning device, zapping stuff they want to get. I had that very conversation a few years ago with a young cousin.

But at the end of the day, most women in their early 20's will have a feel for what's appropriate, and what's not, to actually include in a wedding registry - because they've had some actual life experience, including stuff like going to work, having friends, attending friends' weddings, not to mention watching TV, and reading magazines, and social media. Plus, you know, earning money and having to budget money, and worldly things like that. They won't put duct tape or forty sets of towels or a flipping kayak on their wedding registries. 

I just don't think that Jill or Jessa had that kind of social common sense. @Churchhoney, among others, has posted at length about the shortcomings of the Duggar method of child rearing. Those wedding registries are an example. I think they are essentially what a 14 year old would have come up with. No surprise there.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 16

I agree about the greed. Remember the episode that Benessa took some of her buddies registry shopping with them? There was one item (maybe a crock pot or set of small bowls) that she barely looked at but couldn't wait to zap it with the gun thingie, putting it on the registry. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

Here it's perfectly acceptable for people to 'go in' on a gift together to bring the cost down and maybe that's not ok in Arkansas?

It's not an Arkansas thing. It's a Duggar thing.  I've lived in Arkansas since I was a kid and bought my fair share of wedding gifts as an impoverished college student and nobody seemed to care if I went in with someone else. 

I think all those registry requests--- ranging from duct tape to cereal to kayaks-- are just symptomatic of how tacky and classless they are in general.

• Love 16

Amy does look great. Joy looks a lot like her, just with lighter hair. Vegas is the perfect place to overload the eyeliner for a night, so I ain't mad. Love Amy's shoes, too.

1 minute ago, Rabbittron said:

Hey TLC want a ratings bonanza have the Duggars visit the Brown family in Sin City. This would be must see tv.

While JimBob and Cody rooster strutted over who has the most kids, the Browb wives would be terrified by Michelle's craziness. It would be interesting to see how long it took to notice they left Josie and Trudy at the wrong houses. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lemur said:

I don't know about you folks, but I'd sure as hell rather go to anything in Vegas than a dry Duggar wedding.  

I'm calling BS on FAMY's excuse. She didn't attend because she was not going to be filmed. I'm also guessing that she is persona non grata at the TTH these days as well.

• Love 1
On 11/8/2016 at 3:21 PM, louannems said:

I still don't get why Amy makes it to the tabloids.  She wasn't REALLY featured on the show all that much at all.  Do people really care about Amy?

I think the fact that they always call her Amy (Duggar) Dillweed,  whatever her last name is is the answer, isn't it? They figure -- know, probably -- that people are attracted to the name. Including some who probably don't remember or even never knew that Amy's just a cousin who wasn't raised the same way, etc.

3 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

I'm calling BS on FAMY's excuse. She didn't attend because she was not going to be filmed. I'm also guessing that she is persona non grata at the TTH these days as well.

I think it may be her husband who is persona non grata. Amy was invited to the bridal shower, which would have been an all-female event. But if they invited her to the wedding, they'd have to extend the invitation to Dill as well. They probably consider him an embarrassment and a bad influence.

• Love 3

I thought Amy, Grandma and Amy's mom were suing TLC. Maybe that's why Amy didn't make the extra effort, because they probably would avoid filming her and certainly wouldn't promote her or give her an honorable mention check.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I thought Amy, Grandma and Amy's mom were suing TLC. Maybe that's why Amy didn't make the extra effort, because they probably would avoid filming her and certainly wouldn't promote her or give her an honorable mention check.

Why are they suing? Am I allowed to ask?

• Love 1