Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, CarolMK said:

I've read fairly recently that Jim Bob and Michelle are worth $3.5 million dollars. I know it's combined income from the show, speaking engagements, cell phone tower, real estate rental properties, etc. But I don't think he really has anything to worry about, even with his extended family growing. If invested well, they must have a fairly good income from investments alone.

Do they believe in investing money?  I think Boob and Mechelle may be sleeping on a mattress stuffed with dollar bills!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CarolMK said:

If invested well, they must have a fairly good income from investments alone.

Two things: One has to wonder what the cell phone bills for 20+ people add up to each month. It's hard to imagine that any cell phone carrier is comping them these days. Auto insurance for at least 10 drivers can't be cheap, either.

The big expense (besides the plane): Feeding this group. They claimed they spent only $3000 per month at the grocery store. Let's do the math, shall we? I'm coming up with $1.19 per meal for 28 people. (The 19 KAC, their parents - 21, grandkids - 5 and the alleged foster child make 29, right? I'm wrong already. LOL) I'm basing this on 90 meals per month per person. Maybe someone better at math can help. In the meantime, I don't think that $3.5 million is going to stretch as far as KJB thinks it will. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Vaysh said:

If this is true I'm thinking it's that douche Amy married. Everything about him is just sleazy and wrong. The drunk driving and refusal to pay his debts are big red flags concerning the guy's (lack of) morals.

This won't be the huge scandal that an immediate family Duggar would generate. FAMY's made it clear that they drink, the husband has had DUI's, so the press won't care about strippers. If they still weren't married, I'd put my money on the Holy Goalie. After all, those who are obsessed with masturbation, premarital sex, etcetera are covering up for something.

I realize it's evil, but I would laugh myself into a coma if it was Bin.

• Love 7

I think the $3K per month grocery bill was a few years ago.  I think they've amended that upwards.  They're probably in the neighborhood of $5K or more a month depending on how many of the dependents JimBob is feeding.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CarolMK said:

But I don't think he really has anything to worry about, even with his extended family growing. If invested well, they must have a fairly good income from investments alone.

I don't see that with his mostly unemployable children, the dead beat son in laws, & their future quiver of children.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

Two things: One has to wonder what the cell phone bills for 20+ people add up to each month. It's hard to imagine that any cell phone carrier is comping them these days. Auto insurance for at least 10 drivers can't be cheap, either.

The big expense (besides the plane): Feeding this group. They claimed they spent only $3000 per month at the grocery store. Let's do the math, shall we? I'm coming up with $1.19 per meal for 28 people. (The 19 KAC, their parents - 21, grandkids - 5 and the alleged foster child make 29, right? I'm wrong already. LOL) I'm basing this on 90 meals per month per person. Maybe someone better at math can help. In the meantime, I don't think that $3.5 million is going to stretch as far as KJB thinks it will. 

How much does a can of peas cost at Aldis?

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I think the $3K per month grocery bill was a few years ago.  I think they've amended that upwards.  They're probably in the neighborhood of $5K or more a month depending on how many of the dependents JimBob is feeding.

I realize that everyone is better at math than I am (LOL), but that's $60K per year. Just on food.

It would be fascinating to see the actual figures of how much is spent in that household per year. His nest egg isn't going to last for the rest of their lives.

• Love 2

I posted earlier today that I'd love to see the kidults' tax returns. However, BoobChelle's personal and business returns must be fascinating, given all the deductions that they already have built in before he starts gaming the system. 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I bet you're right. It fits in with the other charges. 

But strippers are practically mainstream compared to the child rape. I mean, with him who would care about a stripper. It sounds virtually wholesome. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

But strippers are practically mainstream compared to the child rape. I mean, with him who would care about a stripper. It sounds virtually wholesome. 

I agree. Going to a strip club is legal, child molestation is not.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, CarolMK said:

I've read fairly recently that Jim Bob and Michelle are worth $3.5 million dollars. I know it's combined income from the show, speaking engagements, cell phone tower, real estate rental properties, etc. But I don't think he really has anything to worry about, even with his extended family growing. If invested well, they must have a fairly good income from investments alone.

Yeah, but some of that $3.5 million must be their house and the other houses that are being lived in by Duggars, and they're doing nothing but depreciating. There are the planes -- pricey and probably bringing in a teeny bit of cash from being rented out. But it wouldn't be that much, compared to what they're worth. Tons of vehicles. And I still don't believe that they have an extremely lucrative cellphone tower. They're making some money off that, of course, but they don't live in the right kind of area to have one of the really high-dollar ones. There's pretty much open land where they live, probably just average demand for phone services, and not a lot of land where you couldn't place a tower. And the speaking engagements seem to have dwindled down to nearly nothing. So that leaves maybe two to two and a half million in real estate and other investments? That's okay, but it's not going to provide a high-on-the-hog lifestyle for the, what, nearly 30 people they now have to support? With the show going on, they're okay, but I'd say it's worth worrying about for the day when the show goes off the air (of course, I'm beginning to doubt that day will ever come...but still...)  And are there any retirement savings in there for Jizm Bob and Meeechelle? We know there won't be any for the kids. But will those two have enough to sustain them? Because the kids won't be able to pay for much for them in their old age.

2 hours ago, ariel said:

I don't see that with his mostly unemployable children, the dead beat son in laws, & their future quiver of children.

And the fact that the children may just keep arriving. They're certainly not planning to have the current population be the ceiling.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Anybody think that Jim Bob is starting to put 2 and 2 together, and realizing that you can't support 30, or 50, or 100 people with the incomes of ministers, missionaries, and used car salesmen?

But the LORD (and TLC!) will provide!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Anybody think that Jim Bob is starting to put 2 and 2 together, and realizing that you can't support 30, or 50, or 100 people with the incomes of ministers, missionaries, and used car salesmen?

JB and Michelle are narcissists that could give a rats ass about supporting people. They don't care as long as there's enough so they get theirs, and have rigged the system so they will always get it. They could care less what happens to the world they've created once they're gone.

• Love 7

This morning I was sleepily flipping around with the TV remote and got the onscreen guide for Counting On (Comcast/Xfinity). I hit "Series Info" and found this adorably snarky description which was obviously not vetted by TPTB at TLC:

Before the Duggar gravy train completely dries up for TLC, the network focuses on the family's older children - minus scandal magnet Josh - as they celebrate some of life's milestone moments, including big moves, the realities of growing up, and raising their own families. "19 Kids and Counting" spinoff "Counting On" (formerly "Jill & Jessa: Counting On") was originally planned as a three-part special, but its ratings apparently justify a series that tracks Jessa and husband Ben adjusting to life with infant son Spurgeon, while Jill and husband Derick continue their missionary work with baby boy Israel in Central America. Back in Arkansas, siblings, Jana, Jinger, Joy Anna, John David, Josiah and Joseph explore their own talents, passions and possible courtings.

I think someone has posted something similar they found on their onscreen cable schedule, but IIRC it was for a specific episode and this is a description of what the series is about. Apologies if I'm wrong and this whole thing has already been posted. 

Anyway, I love that bit about the siblings exploring "their own talents [and] passions." Passions?? Nope. Nobody, but NOBODY, in the TTH is allowed to have passions. Except Michelle's passion for having babies, and JB's passions (1) to be large and in charge of everything including his wife's body, and (2) to be sure everybody in sight always knows he's large and in charge.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, JoanArc said:

JB and Michelle are narcissists that could give a rats ass about supporting people. They don't care as long as there's enough so they get theirs, and have rigged the system so they will always get it. They could care less what happens to the world they've created once they're gone.

Besides, with them being so Godly and special, "Jesus" provided the first time they were overwhelmed...I don't think they can even comprehend that the same thing would not happen if they or any of their family were ever in dire straits again as long as they keep an iron grip on all their principles. But even if that was the way God worked, it doesn't seem to have occurred to them that many of those early principles have gone by the wayside...Somehow they seem to think that as long as they cling like barnacles to some of those old standards (such as their kids never wearing the wrong clothing, holding hands before engagement, or kissing before marriage) they're covered.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Besides, with them being so Godly and special, "Jesus" provided the first time they were overwhelmed...I don't think they can even comprehend that the same thing would not happen if they or any of their family were ever in dire straits again as long as they keep an iron grip on all their principles. But even if that was the way God worked, it doesn't seem to have occurred to them that many of those early principles have gone by the wayside...Somehow they seem to think that as long as they cling like barnacles to some of those old standards (such as their kids never wearing the wrong clothing, holding hands before engagement, or kissing before marriage) they're covered.

Sad to say, it seems to be working so far.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

A big grain of salt...but it does read quite plausibly. If true, I'm sure they would end up negotiating something which would come with a big ol' gag order for Anna...I think she probably DOES have a lot of dirt which could ruin them if she felt inclined to use it. Who know but that she might be feeling vindictive and bitter enough to go that route. Maybe a tell-all would not be quite as lucrative over time as striking a deal with JB, but it could give her enough of a boost to set herself up, combined with the help her brother and whatever other siblings are out of the cult, that she could come out of it standing. Besides, the Duggar empire is on far shakier ground than it's been in the past, and if that were to crumble, where would she be? I for one would be interested in seeing all this play out :)

• Love 1

If it's true, I hope she has a shark for a lawyer.  I hope she squeezes Boob for every last dime she can.

She put up with a lot, including giving birth on a toilet in the name of a Duggar buck.  I guess you could say she knew what she signed up for when she married Joshely Madison, but she was very young and very naive.   For her to be pushed this far, the straw that broke her back must be huge.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Missy Vixen said:

We all know what it is: He's cheating again.

That's what I think too.  I posted in the media thread that the gossip site Crazy Days and Nights had a post about Josh cheating earlier this summer.  Since my info comes from a gossip site, take it for it's worth.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

We all know what it is: He's cheating again.

Boy, there must be some desperate women out there. I could kinda see it back when he had a big Washington job, had lately been a reality-tv star, made decent money and was in at least moderate-for-Joshley shape. Then he could hand over a decent amount of cash and somebody could expect to milk some attention out of doing him. But now? What in the world could he be offering?

Working for the boy-twins can't be providing him with much spare cash. I suppose you could still pass on the story for a little press. But it surely would be less press than it was during the earlier incident. And the original woman wanted the specific kind of press she could get from it, too -- sex-industry-related press that could give her some exposure to help sustain her career, out of which she was rapidly aging.

Can he possibly have found a woman who wants something similar? Or did he just find one of the biggest female losers in NW Arkansas. Yeesh. I hate to think. I truly feel sorry for anybody who's a big enough loser to imagine there's any kind of pleasure or recompense available in evening hours spent with Josh.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, but some of that $3.5 million must be their house and the other houses that are being lived in by Duggars, and they're doing nothing but depreciating. There are the planes -- pricey and probably bringing in a teeny bit of cash from being rented out. But it wouldn't be that much, compared to what they're worth. Tons of vehicles. And I still don't believe that they have an extremely lucrative cellphone tower. They're making some money off that, of course, but they don't live in the right kind of area to have one of the really high-dollar ones. There's pretty much open land where they live, probably just average demand for phone services, and not a lot of land where you couldn't place a tower. And the speaking engagements seem to have dwindled down to nearly nothing. So that leaves maybe two to two and a half million in real estate and other investments? That's okay, but it's not going to provide a high-on-the-hog lifestyle for the, what, nearly 30 people they now have to support? With the show going on, they're okay, but I'd say it's worth worrying about for the day when the show goes off the air (of course, I'm beginning to doubt that day will ever come...but still...)  And are there any retirement savings in there for Jizm Bob and Meeechelle? We know there won't be any for the kids. But will those two have enough to sustain them? Because the kids won't be able to pay for much for them in their old age.

And the fact that the children may just keep arriving. They're certainly not planning to have the current population be the ceiling.

This got me thinking about that house. I can't help but think it has zero resale value -- who wants a giant barn of a house with only 3 bedrooms and an industrial kitchen? It's configured for that family and I can't imagine anyone else wanting to own it. Plus, there have been 20+ people beating on it for 10+ years and little to no maintenance. There's a lot of land, but it's across the street from the dump, and land isn't hard to find in rural Arkansas. I think $3.5 million is probably a high estimate . . .

• Love 9
20 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

No.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

This got me thinking about that house. I can't help but think it has zero resale value -- who wants a giant barn of a house with only 3 bedrooms and an industrial kitchen? It's configured for that family and I can't imagine anyone else wanting to own it. Plus, there have been 20+ people beating on it for 10+ years and little to no maintenance. There's a lot of land, but it's across the street from the dump, and land isn't hard to find in rural Arkansas. I think $3.5 million is probably a high estimate . . .

They really messed up the design of the house with the girl & boy's dorm rooms. I was thinking an organization could use it as some type of retreat location.  The industrial kitchen would come in handy but who wants to sleep with 10 other people in one big bedroom?  With all the generations of Duggars, I don't see it leaving their hands unless they became destitute & needed the $$$$. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Boy, there must be some desperate women out there. I could kinda see it back when he had a big Washington job, had lately been a reality-tv star, made decent money and was in at least moderate-for-Joshley shape. Then he could hand over a decent amount of cash and somebody could expect to milk some attention out of doing him. But now? What in the world could he be offering?

Working for the boy-twins can't be providing him with much spare cash. I suppose you could still pass on the story for a little press. But it surely would be less press than it was during the earlier incident. And the original woman wanted the specific kind of press she could get from it, too -- sex-industry-related press that could give her some exposure to help sustain her career, out of which she was rapidly aging.

Can he possibly have found a woman who wants something similar? Or did he just find one of the biggest female losers in NW Arkansas. Yeesh. I hate to think. I truly feel sorry for anybody who's a big enough loser to imagine there's any kind of pleasure or recompense available in evening hours spent with Josh.

Never underestimate crazy people attracted to fame.  Women married the Menendez brothers.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, toodles said:

Never underestimate crazy people attracted to fame.  Women married the Menendez brothers.

This is one of those things I try very hard to forget! (as I recall, the Menendez brothers had better guts and hairlines, though....)

1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

They really messed up the design of the house with the girl & boy's dorm rooms. I was thinking an organization could use it as some type of retreat location.  The industrial kitchen would come in handy but who wants to sleep with 10 other people in one big bedroom?  With all the generations of Duggars, I don't see it leaving their hands unless they became destitute & needed the $$$$. 

A sadistic organization could use it for a retreat house.

And that would keep up the traditions of the place, too.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

With a little re-modeling, each dorm room could be divided into two bedrooms.  Or maybe two bedrooms with a bathroom in the middle.  

I agree.  It doesn't take much to frame and drywall a dividing wall.  There is already a bathroom or two in each dorm room, so there is the possibility for four really nice bedrooms with full baths for each.  I believe that the HEY HEY HEY suite has a bathroom, as well.  Add Grandma Duggar's room behind the laundry room and there could be a full six bedrooms (if not more).  

But I don't see this house selling if it were ever put up on the market.  Way too custom and big for a single, normally sized family.  Even with alterations.  I think JB and Michelle will keep it until they pass (unless they go bankrupt) and it will move on to the kids to fight over.  

• Love 2

I imagine the plan is to always keep it in the family.  Originally they were probably hoping that when Josh got to a dozen kids or so, his family would move in and Ma and Pa would take the downstairs bedroom.  Now they will have to count on Jessa I guess to be the big producer, although I think three kids would cause the laundry room meltdown for her.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

That house was built as a television set, not a "home".

And designed to thwart Chester the Molester's midnight cravings. That's what ups the creep factor. 

Not to mention matted carpets, filthy walls, and filthy kitchen, and stick to me floors.  Ewwww..just ewwwwwwwww!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

And designed to thwart Chester the Molester's midnight cravings. That's what ups the creep factor. 

Not to mention matted carpets, filthy walls, and filthy kitchen, and stick to me floors.  Ewwww..just ewwwwwwwww!

On the plus side, though, there's the bus station waiting room.   

And a bedroom right off the laundry room to make things more efficient for your live-in granny laundress and a receptionist's cubicle for your all-purpose slave Jana. Oh, wait....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
On Tuesday, November 01, 2016 at 10:48 PM, riverblue22 said:

Yes you can. The Jim Bob way. Duhh. Remember he had 16 people living in a three bedroom 

• Love 4
On Wednesday, November 02, 2016 at 7:34 PM, cmr2014 said:

Why didn't they add more rooms? At least 5 or 6 bedrooms. 

• Love 1

And they claimed that all the boys wanted to be together in one room, as did the girls. Uhm, no. They broke ground on the place in 2003, which coincides with when Smuggar was busted (oh wait, he confessed, HAH!). I do wonder what the house would have looked like if the first tinker toy set hadn't come defective, and the manufacturer sent them the second one for free to compensate (I'm sure Boob threatened a lawsuit). Would JB and Mechelle slept downstairs, despite what could go on upstairs in what would have been two bedrooms for the kids? 

Sorry for rambling. I always wondered about that aspect of the TTH. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Safety in numbers. The house was built shortly after Joshley's midnight ramblings.

Plus, it's cheaper just to build a big barn with your tin-building kit. Framing out individual rooms with all the drywall and doors and stuff gets pricey.

• Love 2

I don't know what Arkansas's zoning laws are like but maybe their house could become a rec center?  Large kitchen to feed lots of people, big rooms for lots of kids to play in, a giant yard for proper playground equipment.  It can even host sleepovers, complete with a "chaperone suite."  

• Love 4

Michelle looks odd. I realize she's 50, and isn't going to look 18, but she has some really deep lines. Her skin doesn't really look wrinkly, sun spotted, crepey, or anything, but just really, really deep creases. The Possum Head looks like it would break off if you'd blow on it.

Despite being in the public eye for decades, JimBob can't piece together a personal sentence about Jinger. He's usually much better than that at speaking. Michelle has to guide us to "say, we love you" or whatever she rambled. Just say it your self. We are not infants and do not have to repeat after your Crazy Possum Head.

So who's up next? One of the boys, or Joy? (Jana is the one that I think will elope, if she does decide to get married.)

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, EAG46 said:

I don't know what Arkansas's zoning laws are like but maybe their house could become a rec center?  Large kitchen to feed lots of people, big rooms for lots of kids to play in, a giant yard for proper playground equipment.  It can even host sleepovers, complete with a "chaperone suite."  

Some enterprising fundie will buy it and turn it into a church retreat facility.

48 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Here's the People article (cross-posted from the Duggalo thread). No new pics, honeymoon in New Zealand and Australia. 

http://people.com/celebrity/jinger-duggar-marries-soccer-player-jeremy-vuolo/

I realize I'm a bit obsessed with this, but one has to wonder what fake name they registered for wedding gifts under. They also must have invited people via phone call or other non-forwardable or scannable invite; the beans weren't spilled with the actual date until two weeks ago. 

The commentary on this and other sites must have really made an impression. 

One more thing: They must have gotten quite a payout from People and TLC; trips to Australia and New Zealand aren't cheap.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 4