Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I  have guardianship of my 2 nephews due to my sister is in the army .  I  have drop in surprise ss visits once a week and I  have to give them a weekly report and so do their teachers. I  do not get any assistance as they are still dependants of my sister and gets benefits from her . 

These kinds of rules may vary by state, just like phone schooling laws, etc.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

I  have guardianship of my 2 nephews due to my sister is in the army .  I  have drop in surprise ss visits once a week and I  have to give them a weekly report and so do their teachers. I  do not get any assistance as they are still dependants of my sister and gets benefits from her . 

Is this a temporary guardianship? I ask because your sister is certainly competent to raise her kids once her deployment(s) is/are over. The Duggars now have permanent guardianship over Tyler because the birth mother declared herself (or a court ordered her) incompetent. 

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Is this a temporary guardianship? I ask because your sister is certainly competent to raise her kids once her deployment(s) is/are over. The Duggars now have permanent guardianship over Tyler because the birth mother declared herself (or a court ordered her) incompetent. 

It is considered permanent for the next 10 yrs until the younger brother is 18 because she is career army andshe doesn't want the kids to have an unstable life with her deployment every few years.

• Love 1

Wow, I didn't know that was a thing. I know you didn't mention the father, so I guess he's out of the equation. I bet there is no dispensation for women unfit to raise kids when a husband (or soon to be ex, or ex) is deployed. The wife seems to be stuck in her circumstance. This boggles my mind. We may need to move this to the Prayer Closet for further discussion. :)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wow, I didn't know that was a thing. I know you didn't mention the father, so I guess he's out of the equation. I bet there is no dispensation for women unfit to raise kids when a husband (or soon to be ex, or ex) is deployed. The wife seems to be stuck in her circumstance. This boggles my mind. We may need to move this to the Prayer Closet for further discussion. :)

Answering in the prayer closet.

Just saw the new ad for the show. Looks like the Duggar girls finally got the memo about open toed booties. Looks like we know what shoe they'll be wearing for Joy's wedding and for the next 5 years to come!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, zenme said:

Just saw the new ad for the show. Looks like the Duggar girls finally got the memo about open toed booties. Looks like we know what shoe they'll be wearing for Joy's wedding and for the next 5 years to come!

Shoes and Joy seem to be mutually exclusive.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, zenme said:

When I think of the Duggars and open-toed booties, I somehow feel that those are shoes Bill Gothard might have invented. Talk about the perfect shoes for a Puritanical fetishist.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

When I think of the Duggars and open-toed booties, I somehow feel that those are shoes Bill Gothard might have invented. Talk about the perfect shoes for a Puritanical fetishist.

Touché, Churchie! You know that would be Gothard approved footwear. After all, "feet aren't sexual".

Straight from the Wisdumb Booklets to our ears!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Touché, Churchie! You know that would be Gothard approved footwear. After all, "feet aren't sexual".

Straight from the Wisdumb Booklets to our ears!

(Never mind that in the Old Testament, feet are often used as a metaphor for genitals. Presumably the Duggars have never heard this.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, LilJen said:

(Never mind that in the Old Testament, feet are often used as a metaphor for genitals. Presumably the Duggars have never heard this.)

In the Duggar world, biblical wine translates to grape juice, but feet is just feet y'all.

• Love 7

THIS IS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER READ!!  Some quick bullet points:

They evangelize people in the area like introducing them to a relationship with God.

Love the grammar

The couple helped the needy and helpless in their place of assignment.

HOW exactly is that?  Helped how??  Painted toenails???

Their return to their mission field has not materialized as Jill is again heavy with child

Very King James.  "Lo there appeared before then a great stinkbus in the heavens.."

According to The Hollywood Gossip, the couple should have returned to El Salvador as promised but they failed. They have to refund donations for their missions to the donors

YA THINK???  Naw...

Behind the scenes, they must opt for regular jobs to sustain their families as all reality shows are bound to end.

THIS is the most incredulous statement OF ALL TIME!!!

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 12

"Very King James.  'Lo there appeared before then a great stinkbus in the heavens..' "

Whine and Cheez, Lo, thou hast verily wonst the interwebs with thy comment.  

-cut and pasted because I can't seem to work the single quote function. 

Edited by Lady Edith
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

"Very King James.  'Lo there appeared before then a great stinkbus in the heavens..' "

Whine and Cheez, Lo, thou hast verily wonst the interwebs with thy comment.  

-cut and pasted because I can't seem to work the single quote function. 

I wuv u!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, SMama said:

WTF did I just read? 

I don't know, but thanks to that "article" I looked for the Evangelical Reformation Conference online and found that there's a page for it. (Tickets $40 to $100) They fancy themselves the second coming of folks like Luther (The illustration is priceless -- and it no doubt has live Lutherans shuddering and millions of dead Lutherans rolling over in their graves) and they describe themselves in prose that just about matches the writing in the "article."

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/evangelism-reformation-conference-tickets-30739961051?aff=erelexpmlt

"Description

Today's statistics show that the number one reason why the church in America doesn’t share the Gospel, is not due from a lack of training, but from a lack of trust in the Gospel’s power to save.

This unbelief in the Gospel’s power to rescue a sinner from death is the chief reason why we see so much pragmatism and man-centered gimmicks obsessively being pedaled among the church today.

There has been an attempt to compensate for this reality by filling in this great void by appealing to men by worldly means.

When the biblical Gospel is substituted by a pleasure-driven, man-centered message, we should expect to see the tragic reprucussion both within the church and without.

The church suffers from our cold indifference to God’s ordained means of reaching men, and the world around us suffers from not hearing the Truth. This is the reason for the upcoming conference. This is a call to return to the evangelism that has shaken the nations throughout history. Men like Martin Luther, John Knox, George Whitefield etc. Today we are in need of a greater reformation. We are in need of an Evangelism Reformation.

Speakers will include: Voddie Baucham, Jeff Rose, Mark Spence, Jeff Pollard, Scott Brown, Dr. Jason Lisle, Ben Seewald and Chuck O'Neal."

So this is what Bin will be bringing us. An Evangelism Reformation.

I'm eager to see that.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Good Lord, besides being 95% factually inaccurate, the grammar is atrocious.  I have a suspicion that this was written by an ESL student. Even my disabled students, with the exception of the one with the brain injury, can put together grammatically correct sentences more accurately than this "author."

smh

• Love 4

From what I read see and hear, I thought the below quote is the basic premise of extreme Fundyism. Maybe it's more accurate with the word translated than substituted. IMO this guy has it backwards, because I would love to know where in the Bible it says TV is sinful unless you on it, that having friends from other religions is sinful, trusting your kids is sinful, allowing your kids an education is sinful, allowing your kids to date is sinful, working for others is sinful, females wearing pants is sinful, reading books is sinful, masturbating is sinful, oppressing woman is godly, owning your family is godly, being self-righteous is godly, judging others is godly ... 

"... biblical Gospel is substituted by a pleasure-driven, man- centered message ..."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kokapetl said:

This sort of writing comes out of sweatshops, I think. 

Yeah, some poor fool, possibly not a native speaker, probably gets paid $5, total, for producing about 100 of these for various clickbait dens.

34 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

"Unbelief." LMAO.

Also, many words, but what exactly are they trying to say? Pragmatism and man-centered gimmicks? I need examples.

"We have come to save the world from evils so evil that we will not even describe them to you!"  perhaps?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

From what I read see and hear, I thought the below quote is the basic premise of extreme Fundyism. Maybe it's more accurate with the word translated than substituted. IMO this guy has it backwards, because I would love to know where in the Bible it says TV is sinful unless you on it, that having friends from other religions is sinful, trusting your kids is sinful, allowing your kids an education is sinful, allowing your kids to date is sinful, working for others is sinful, females wearing pants is sinful, reading books is sinful, masturbating is sinful, oppressing woman is godly, owning your family is godly, being self-righteous is godly, judging others is godly ... 

"... biblical Gospel is substituted by a pleasure-driven, man- centered message ..."

Even Pastor Schott (?sp) told Benessa  there wasn't anything in the Bible about saving your first kiss for the wedding day. 

• Love 6
On 12/30/2016 at 2:25 PM, WhineandCheez said:

Their return to their mission field has not materialized as Jill is again heavy with child

Isn't she due in July?  Love how a four ounce fetus makes you too "heavy" to travel, especially when travel features so prominently in the story of Christ's birth.

Edited by TaxNerd
  • Love 11
On 12/30/2016 at 0:25 PM, WhineandCheez said:

Very King James.  "Lo there appeared before then a great stinkbus in the heavens.."

Would you court with me? <3

On 12/31/2016 at 6:04 PM, TaxNerd said:

Isn't she due in July?  Love how a four ounce fetus makes you too "heavy" to travel, especially when travel features so prominently in the story of Christ's birth.

It's the mustard cardigan. Jilly Muffin will do ANYTHING to hang onto that piece of clothing!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Perhaps we should ask the mods to give us a page dedicated to All Things Mustard Cardigan.

There's a "Carl's Hat" thread for the Walking Dead  forum, so . . . precedent?

• Love 1

"This unbelief in the Gospel’s power to rescue a sinner from death is the chief reason why we see so much pragmatism and man-centered gimmicks obsessively being pedaled among the church today."

Enjoying the hell out of the mental picture of one of them new-fangled rock music ministers on a bicycle conducting Spiritual Spin Class.

Morons.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 8
55 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

"This unbelief in the Gospel’s power to rescue a sinner from death is the chief reason why we see so much pragmatism and man-centered gimmicks obsessively being pedaled among the church today."

Enjoying the hell out of the mental picture of one of them new-fangled rock music ministers on a bicycle conducting Spiritual Spin Class.

Morons.

Pedaled?  Like in pedicabs?  Pedicabs full of secular humanists?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Missy Vixen said:

Secular humanists pedaling to hell...

Is anyone else hearing AC/DC in their heads right now? ;-)

I'm hearing Queen. 

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bicycle

I want to ride my bike…

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

Secular humanists pedaling to hell...

Is anyone else hearing AC/DC in their heads right now? ;-)

14 hours ago, scriggle said:

I'm hearing Queen. 

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bike…

I love you both with all of my shriveled little blackened heart.

Here we go again with the whole "all good things come from the Gospel" crap.  Ugh.  I'm shutting down my rant before I get this excellent, excellent exchange shipped off to the "Things That Irritate" thread.

• Love 3
On 1/5/2017 at 6:44 PM, scriggle said:

I'm hearing Queen. 

Bicycle bicycle bicycle

I want to ride my bike…

Not if it's a used bicycle seat!

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

In this family Highway to Hell is the perfect song.

Rock anthems and Songs to Duggars wouldn't be complete without the following:

Paranoid by Black Sabbath

Highway to Hell by AC/DC

Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne

Satisfaction (I Can't Get No) by the Rolling Stones

Burning for You (Blue Oyster Cult)

The Unforgiven (Metallica)

Master of Puppets (Metallica)

Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd

Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd

Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol

The Show Must Go On by Queen 

I'm sure there's others, but if I come up with more, I'll post in Parodies.

• Love 2

Found this just now:

http://www.inquisitr.com/3866831/duggar-family-slammed-for-facebook-post-about-money-being-the-root-of-all-evil/

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar recently shared a Bible verse on their family Facebook page that raised a few eyebrows. Some of the Duggar family’s fans called the former 19 Kids and Counting stars hypocrites for quoting 1 Timothy 6:10, which says that “the love of money is the root of all evil.” The Duggars’ Facebook post included a photo of a young girl showing her love of money by hugging a big pile of coins.

Hypocrites much?

This quote really amuses me:

"The Duggars used to be frugal out of necessity. Long before they became reality show stars and could afford the tin mansion that they currently reside in, the Duggars lived in a cramped house with just one bathroom. Jim Bob credits a financial seminar he and Michelle attended at church for helping him figure out how to support his super-sized family, and he believes that God now controls his finances."

God, or TLC???

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 10

Matthew 19:24, JimBoob...

"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

That prosperity gospel garbage annoys the crap out of me because first, it's used to pass judgment on the poor, since God's got the celestial checkbook and clearly must think the poor suck, and second, it's the basis of some of the most evil scams in history.

It makes my shriveled little heart rejoice on those few occasions when the Duggars' stunning hypocrisy gets called out for what it is.

• Love 16
On 1/9/2017 at 6:43 AM, DangerousMinds said:

Found this just now:

http://www.inquisitr.com/3866831/duggar-family-slammed-for-facebook-post-about-money-being-the-root-of-all-evil/

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar recently shared a Bible verse on their family Facebook page that raised a few eyebrows. Some of the Duggar family’s fans called the former 19 Kids and Counting stars hypocrites for quoting 1 Timothy 6:10, which says that “the love of money is the root of all evil.” The Duggars’ Facebook post included a photo of a young girl showing her love of money by hugging a big pile of coins.

Hypocrites much?

This quote really amuses me:

"The Duggars used to be frugal out of necessity. Long before they became reality show stars and could afford the tin mansion that they currently reside in, the Duggars lived in a cramped house with just one bathroom. Jim Bob credits a financial seminar he and Michelle attended at church for helping him figure out how to support his super-sized family, and he believes that God now controls his finances."

God, or TLC???

So God is a banker in addition to everything else?  Does He balance their checkbook, manage their budget and all the other financial stuff for them?  Huh.  Let's see what God does for them when the show takes a hike.  Oh, wait.  That will never happen because they are God's speshul snoflaks.  I guess God will negotiate the bankruptcy when the time comes.

On an off topic side note, I used to do construction lending for 20 years.  Churches were my least favorite project.  They would always go over budget and when you called the church reps to find out where the money was coming from, the answer was always the same.  We will pray on it and God will provide.  Do I need to say that almost never worked out?

• Love 6
On 1/10/2017 at 3:29 PM, toodles said:

Let's see what God does for them when the show takes a hike.  

"God" did nothing for them when the show took a hike. One has to wonder when KJB dropped to his knees to beg TLC to at least feature the kids; KJB's bellied up to that trough now and one has to wonder how much he's pocketing from the checks that should rightly go to the kids appearing on TV. 

KJB and his child bride do not have the skills to make a living outside of reality TV and certainly cannot support an additional 10-15 new family members as well. I'm hoping some enterprising tabloid will manage to find out a) who signed the contracts and b) where the salaries are being paid and to whom. One also has to wonder how TLC continues to justify the production of this show when advertisers continue to flee and their promises to not feature KJB, J-Chelle and Joshley Madison seem to have fallen by the wayside.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

"God" did nothing for them when the show took a hike. One has to wonder when KJB dropped to his knees to beg TLC to at least feature the kids; KJB's bellied up to that trough now and one has to wonder how much he's pocketing from the checks that should rightly go to the kids appearing on TV. 

KJB and his child bride do not have the skills to make a living outside of reality TV and certainly cannot support an additional 10-15 new family members as well. I'm hoping some enterprising tabloid will manage to find out a) who signed the contracts and b) where the salaries are being paid and to whom. One also has to wonder how TLC continues to justify the production of this show when advertisers continue to flee and their promises to not feature KJB, J-Chelle and Joshley Madison seem to have fallen by the wayside.

I bet it is paid to Duggar Family Studio/ Production  I don't remember which name it's under

• Love 1