Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Yes, they clearly jumped the shark with all this shampoo, rinse, repeat template of courtship marriage baby and what cheese/animal/city...etc is which sibling? Really wish they'd wait until they do something interesting rather than fill an hour with...ummmmms....giggles...dumb looks...rehashes..

VSEs or catching up with the Duggars would be fine by me. They're okay in small doses, and dare I say, even more likeable.

You forgot the AuqaNet hairspray?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Whelp, that didn't take long. So Ole Tim sodomized his roommate? Tabitha's in for one hell of a ride.

I don't know, I think it would be hard to get off the sex offender registry without some doubts by the court. I think Tim's explanation may be closer to the truth.  Whatever the truth was then and whatever kind of man Tim is now, if I was Tabitha I would still be filled with reservations.

• Love 4

I seriously wonder how Jim Bob handled this one? Spinning head? 

Duggars  have been working double time to rehab their image and then some rapist is wandering around their house for a party and the pictures are all over social media...

Kinda like what Josh did to everyone?  Josh was a pervert and molester..and he just wandered around unsuspecting people?  Tim is a perv and is wandering around unsuspecting people.  

Sorta like Jessa and Jill and siblings defended this piece of shit all over the media and Josh was still doing vile garbage...causing even further damage and humiliation to Jill&Jessa. 

Jim Bob's family & friends are certainly tangled in a web of sexual problems and social media. 

Jim Bob better get himself together.  Seems he is hanging out with a pack of sinners...the ones he has worked so hard to insulate his family from. 

I bet Jim Bob is going to confiscate every cell phone of every person who walks in the door. Plus the kidults and kids. No more posting pics to social media unless it is approved by him. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5

@Marigold, you are thinking about this all wrong; ie applying logic to the Duggar world. The Devil (and in Tim's case, alcohol and a stripper) was the root cause. They are now Godly men who have asked and received God's forgiveness. The women involved (against their will) were temptresses who are more responsible for what happened than the people who committed the crimes (and that's what they were). The men are good people who had moments of weakness and that's when the Devil pounced and built fortresses in their hearts. But they are all good now with the Lord!

TL;DR Men = good and not responsible for their actions, women=evil temptresses responsible for men's terrible actions; equally culpable as the Devil.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Marigold, you are thinking about this all wrong; ie applying logic to the Duggar world. The Devil (and in Tim's case, alcohol and a stripper) was the root cause. They are now Godly men who have asked and received God's forgiveness. The women involved (against their will) were temptresses who are more responsible for what happened than the people who committed the crimes (and that's what they were). The men are good people who had moments of weakness and that's when the Devil pounced and built fortresses in their hearts. But they are all good now with the Lord!

TL;DR Men = good and not responsible for their actions, women=evil temptresses responsible for men's terrible actions; equally culpable as the Devil.

Thanks, Marge....ya fixed it for us.?

• Love 1

TLC avoids their political rallies like the plague. If you just watched the show, you'd never know how fervently they campaigned for Santorum, and later even Romney, in '12, or what Smuggar really did when he was at the FRC. Visits to Christian establishments that donate some proceeds to outreach is about it as far as Duggar Activism as Shown on TLC. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

TLC avoids their political rallies like the plague. If you just watched the show, you'd never know how fervently they campaigned for Santorum, and later even Romney, in '12, or what Smuggar really did when he was at the FRC. Visits to Christian establishments that donate some proceeds to outreach is about it as far as Duggar Activism as Shown on TLC. 

I'm glad they kept that off the show. There were plenty of other gossip sites that filled in that info for us. Otherwise, it would have been very off putting.

The Creation Museum was comical to me,  but I did see many episodes where the kids looked like they got to do plenty. No doubt TLC paid for that, otherwise they would have had to do what JRod and fam did at the Laura ingalls wilder house.

Boob didn't  become all that creepy to me until the girls started courting...and by then, Michelle had completely lost what was left of her marbles.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I'm glad they kept that off the show. There were plenty of other gossip sites that filled in that info for us. Otherwise, it would have been very off putting.

The Creation Museum was comical to me,  but I did see many episodes where the kids looked like they got to do plenty. No doubt TLC paid for that, otherwise they would have had to do what JRod and fam did at the Laura ingalls wilder house.

Boob didn't  become all that creepy to me until the girls started courting...and by then, Michelle had completely lost what was left of her marbles.

That's exactly what many of us want. They should be showing what they REALLY do and support.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

That's exactly what many of us want. They should be showing what they REALLY do and support.

Most of us who live in the Bible Belt region of the country already know what the Duggars meant by "very conservative values". It would have been interesting for sociologists to get a better view.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

But TLC thinks giving us the fantasy life they have they get ratings but if TLC wants really great ratings they should show us what their life is really about.

If they did that, you know people from social services and other state agencies would be concerned about a great many things that went on.

Scabby Hannie, poor unkempt and dirty Josie, no sheets on the children's beds....

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

If they did that, you know people from social services and other state agencies would be concerned about a great many things that went on.

Scabby Hannie, poor unkempt and dirty Josie, no sheets on the children's beds....

And this would be fantastic!

• Love 5

TLC is complicit in presenting them as a palatable family and the fact that they don't publicize their extreme right-wing Christian views and actions helped bring this to fruition. https://www.autostraddle.com/i-was-trained-for-the-culture-wars-in-home-school-awaiting-someone-like-mike-pence-as-a-messiah-367057/

I'm sick of them getting a pass by the media at large because they are the face of this movement and now look where we are.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And this would be fantastic!

Indeed it would be. No such luck on our part. Arkansas must have lower standards than Texas. Try adopting a kid here, for instance. The adoption agency a former coworker of mine and her IP attorney husband went through, scoured their very nice suburban home counting towels and sheet sets, fridge, pantry, overall cleanliness, number of bedrooms, closets, beds.

Social services and CPS give the impression that here they would take action for far less egregious behaviors  than what Duggars get away with (there would have been zero tolerance  of Joshley's antics). I guess since none of the Dugg kids are underweight, no visible bruises..but if TLC had shown blanket training...the everloving shit would have rightly hit the fan. Despite that their kids are woefully undereducated; apparently, that's not a crime in Arkansas.

Even if folks did not notice the Duggars' backward views of gender roles and their 'every child is a blessing' view on women's reproductive rights, once Josh joined FRAC the Duggar lifestyle became very apparent. Then when scandal 1 was revealed and scandal 2 broke nothing was hidden anymore.

Michelle's language was very telling in the beginning using words like training and obey in regard to raising her kids. Words most folks would only use in regard to animals. They mentioned Jesus and the Bible frequently. TLC may have blurred out t-shirts and not shown political rallies but I think most folks figured out that the Duggars 'doing things a little differently' was very religious and political.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 5
On 1/26/2017 at 6:33 PM, JoanArc said:

I want Jessa's "We're just a family on TV, not a TV family." line read over video from this angle.

Sure Blessa, sure.

3C7FA8AB00000578-4156268-image-a-44_1485360588491.jpg

If I had been Josh, I would've sat far away.

I would not sit in the front and attract yet MORE attention to such a vile situation. Maintain a low profile and slither away. 

Shows what a stupid person he is. Cocky.

"oh helllo Pastor and Mrs. Vuolo. Sorry I'm hiding behind my son right now.  Ya know,, the molestation and the hookers. Congratulations on the wedding. God Bless!"

Poor Jinger "oh that's my pervert brother, Josh, hiding behind Marcus.  Don't mind him."

Wouldn't you just sit far, far in the back and leave everyone alone?  Don't cause attention on a day that is special for Jinger, Jeremy and others? 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 16

Hiding behind Marcus would show he's got some shame,  The only other option would have been to make him sit somewhere else...that lack of self control wouldn't be permitted without an accountability partner. Best to keep him with the fam so they know where the little pervert is at all times.

• Love 1

It would have been very easy to have Josh sit in the back of the church or not even come to the wedding at all. But there he was in the second row using his kid as a human shield. I wonder how the conversations went between TLC and the Duggars. Who insisted he be upfront, Josh, the whole family? And who came up with the hiding from filming and pictures, TLC, the Duggars?

Did they have a real struggle between standing by their son/brother and keeping the show going? Was Jessa like - there is no way I'm going to let Josh cancel my fame and money, y'all better figure out a way to make this work? 

• Love 3

Human shield babies = another instance of Duggars being flamboyantly modest. 

Chalk it up there with Michelle standing in a parade float nursing a toddler with that big tent contraption covering her chest and the kids legs dangling out. Then add all the clown collars, prairie dresses, leggings, modesty panels and layers added to normal clothes for the girls. Then add Jessa and Jill with tops stretched so tight over their pregnant torsos that you can see the indentations of their belly buttons and every curve of their breasts. 

TLC could film around josh or he could've taken a seat somewhere else. They love to draw attention to themselves.

• Love 10

If they didn't boycott Starbucks over the company's enthusiastic support for gay marriage, they're unlikely to do so now. The Duggars can always twist their religious principles to accommodate their own selfish desires.

• Love 6

Business idea: open a chain in the deep South that's exactly like Starbucks in every way except Jesus and America themed. In fact, that will be our slogan: "We're exactly like Starbucks except we love Jesus and America." We'll be multi-billionaires and Jessa will have one less thing to be a completely laughable hypocrite about when it comes to selfie props.

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Aja said:

Business idea: open a chain in the deep South that's exactly like Starbucks in every way except Jesus and America themed. In fact, that will be our slogan: "We're exactly like Starbucks except we love Jesus and America." We'll be multi-billionaires and Jessa will have one less thing to be a completely laughable hypocrite about when it comes to selfie props.

Calvin-Martin Coffee.  Have a Cup with Christ!

Seriously though, much like forming a cult, this is one of those really disingenuous things I just can't bring myself to do because it would put me in league with the likes of Creflo A. Dollar and Joel Olsteen.  (And for the record, I'd really like to form a cult.)

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Aja said:

Tag line will be NO HEATHENS HERE!!!  Now serving Jesus java.  We only serve 100% boys and 100% girls.  No in betweens allowed.

Ok, I have to stop now.

• Love 6

Jana has a perfect little spot for this coffee shop. She also needs more exposure. Even though the fundies believe the marrieds are elevated to a new status, the viewers might want more Jana. I do. I only want Jana, JD, sinner twin and Joe. Have a few segments over to Jessa and Jinger (seems they can't be separated), and leave the rest at home to contemplate if Josiah was a piece of cutlery, what would he be, if Josie was a vegetable, what type of vegetable would she be. Just set a camera up on them, but don't bother filming, no one cares. No more boring Dullards, no more littles, give them space to grow up without a camera, and NO more ma and pa. Michelle always appears to be crashing the party anyway (such as that stupid trip she took with the couples). We get it, they want $ for appearances, too bad.

• Love 3

Folks, talk about a coffee shop when no mention of said shop has been in the media is really starting to get off topic.

Also, please take note of the announcement/reminder about talking politics and Duggars Family and Friends that was posted yesterday. Engaging in speculative discussion about their reactions to current events and politics seems more about wanting to talk about current events and politics and less talking about the actual family. Sometimes we're going to have to split hairs, but in general, let's avoid politics talk. 

• Love 7

@frenchtoast...thanks....I'm often guilty of getting sucked into that vortex, so I continue to have to check myself.  Given today's ever more challenging social and political climate, it's nice to have a safe place to chat.  

So many comments sections are so poisonous and vile, full of name calling, insults.   So refreshing to come here and just have a good snark and giggle in this friendly community. Safe places online are becoming harder to come by. You've all been such good company to me while I've been furloughed .

Thanks to you and the other mods for working so hard to keep things nice!

• Love 11
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Sorry, my bad. The Duggars hypocrisy got the best of me.

OMG, it happens to me on a daily basis!  I've unknowingly ended up the ringleader more times than I intended..been down the rabbit hole so many times that I don't know whether I'm Alice or the Mad March Hare.

I wonder if the Duggars sometimes post stuff that they know will generate lots of snark. I'd be embarrassed to post anything that makes me look dirty, unkept, don't keep house, have questionable hygiene, or can't match an outfit.  Even worse, posting content making their kids look dirty (filthy Izzy in unstable Bumbo) or have posters speculating on a child's developmental issues (Josie and applesauce manicures).

Since hypocrisy is often associated with religious legalism, lines get blurred along with Duggar fuzzy logic (I'm being generous with the use of the word logic).

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Spell check thinks it's smarter than me
  • Love 1

We stray off topic so easily because the Duggars are really, really boring and predictable. Finding new evidence of their insane hypocrisy doesn't even entertain...we've come to expect it.

They don't even provide a halfway decent schadenfreude fix anymore,  because even when they're staring straight at the metaphorical locomotive that anyone with common sense sees barreling down on their asses, they continue to insist their way works because Jesus. 

Stupidity has a low entertainment value.

That said, will try harder to stay on topic. 

Michelle: Xanax or benzos?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

They don't even provide a halfway decent schadenfreude fix anymore,

THIS!  I used to get all my schadenfreude from their flailing incompetence and insane hypocrisy. Now, I'm almost to the point where snarking on their flailing incompetence seems mean since they are all the product of such a jacked up environment (and we've begun to see its even more jacked up than previously thought as we watch something on the order of 11 adult children so ill prepared for life in general).

However, when it comes to their insane hypocrisy and their officious "experts on everything"..not holding back...(as long as my posts are still is in line with forum decorum).

• Love 1
On 1/24/2017 at 1:06 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Yup.  When Gee Golly mentioned Tull I was thinking of Original Masters...and Ian Andersons great flute solos on Locomotive Breath and Bungle in the Jungle...Pity the Duggars will never get to celebrate the joys of classic rock..

Mr E moved in with a copy of it as well to add to my own..great minds think alike...@Aja and @GeeGolly, fist pumps, mi gente!

I dunno, Josh may be a secret "Aqualung" fan. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I dunno, Josh may be a secret "Aqualung" fan. 

Josh IS Aqualung...based on some of the lyrics...bad intent...frilly panties

people's perceptions of the homeless at the time the song was written could well have been that this pitiable creature was really just a lecherous old man, so they could feel justified in disliking him, rather than pitying him.

Late to the party...I love Jethro Tull...Finally got to see them in concert about 10 years ago. Our  kids were teens at the time and went too with a few friends...they were fans...but they did draw the line at sitting with Mr. Bean and myself ;)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't see any quotes. And going by a number of the comments neither do a bunch of others. Are they hidden somewhere that I can't work out?

I don't see the quotes either. Actually that's appropriate because the Duggars don't know anything about these subjects.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

How have I never seen this picture before? They're as good as married.

duggars.jpg?w=3000&h=2249

3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Wow, Ben and Jessa are really working it. Everyone else looks mildly uncomfortable.

Derrick looks like he rode in on a boxcar. 

You bet your ass B&J are working it. Jessa is the hands-down STAH of this show. And don't dare forget it!

Of course, Jinger and Babe are poised in the wings, cleaned up for TV (nice knees, Jinge!) and ready to take some of Jessa's airtime. We'e already met his normal friends, and there's Australian honeymoon footage to come. 

Cut in with clips of crying/puking by The Miserables, in Arkansas and in Danger America. But those two sad sacks are no threat to Princess Prickly Pear when it comes to teevee time. They just bring the drah-mah, or at least the "poor pitiful me" element. 

EDITED to add: I brought this over from the Joy and Whatshisname discussion, since I think it's more on topic here.

Also, someone over there said the Duggars all look "short and squatty"  in this pic. But almost everyone in the photo is leaning forward and/or stepping forward. You see a lot of bent knees. The only ones standing normally are Derick, Jinge, and Babe. Even Jill looks like she's starting to move forward a little. I wouldn't judge body shape by that snapshot.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

You bet your ass B&J are working it. Jessa is the hands-down STAH of this show. And don't dare forget it!

LOL. Ben looks certifiably insane in that pic. And, except for his hair,  he's just as scruffy as Derick.

The Jgirls all have new footwear, so FU internet. Jana (and I never thought I would say this) looks like an Oompah Loompah.

Maybe this pic was photoshopped together from various events : Derick saving Jill from falling overboard , Jessa and Ben auditioning for "Up With People", various  Jboys doing The Chicken Dance while their hair falls out at an alarming rate, Joy practicing her adoring gaze upward, as her future headship revels in his new-found celebrity, Jana ready to run off and cook dinner, and Jinge and Babe looking completely like normal people because the picture was taken in Laredo.

Jinge has newly-exposed knees!! And cute box-heel booties! And a nice suede moto-jacket!  And no infinity scarf! Must be prime thrifting in the Laredo area. Go Jinge!!!

• Love 14