Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Lol, Josh will appear in a scripted segment where he grits his teeth and fakes being happy about M5? I know I'm going to get struck by lightning for admitting it, but I'm looking forward to seeing this. Please don't throw tomatoes at me.

0 0 1 tomatoes.jpg

• Love 10
(edited)

If true, are they so hard up for money? Is Boob feeling the pinch of having to support so many, including vegetative state adults? Or is this the preamble to the Jesus Forgave Me so You Have to, and Buy Our Book tour?

Why would Boob want him out there with the Ashley Madison reminder?

Edited by SMama
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, SMama said:

If true, are they so hard up for money? Is Boob feeling the pinch of having to support so many, including vegetative state adults? Or is this the preamble to the Jesus Forgave Me so You Have to, and Buy Our Book tour?

Boob is a tightwad and he lost a major income stream when 19K&C was cancelled. His net worth is estimated at 3 mil, but that's an educated guess and I'm sure a big chunk of that is tied up in properties, not liquid cash. While I don't think they're struggling or anything close, I do think JB is looking at his ledgers with a little bit of panic. He probably figures Josh will be a ratings boon since nobody cares about Joy's courtship. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, SMama said:

Reason #1 - Josh is having a hard time supporting himself without the TLC income he received for almost 10 years;

Reason #2 - Jim Bob wants his old job back with TLC as family patriarch (they hardly allow him on the show anymore);

Reason #3 - ditto for Michelle.

In short, Boob wants to roll back the clock to 2015 and pick it back up where things left off before the scandals.

And it's not just the TLC money they are missing.  They have lost all the lucrative speaking and appearance fees, too.  After Joseph's marriage, they still have 14 kids and one guardian child to raise and marry off.  

Jim Bob is 51 years old and has to make money now to have for his own retirement.   

• Love 11

I think it's because Jim Bob wants to show the redemptive power of Christ in Josh's life. Josh has repented and asked for forgiveness, and Jim Bob doesn't want Josh, a saved Christian, to continue to be maligned by society, even if that risks cancellation. Jesus first, others second, yourself last.

Oh wait, Jim Bob doesn't actually care about any of that.

• Love 14
(edited)

Unfortunately, I can see a Josh appearance boosting ratings by a fairly hefty amount. So then I suppose there will have to be another -- kinda preemptive -- movement to boycott advertisers again. And hope that people get as excited about that now as they did a few years ago when the whole Josh thing was fresh. ... And I kind of think that it's unlikely you could really recreate that level of annoyance this far after the fact. People's memories aren't all that long.

So my predicted outcome -- they get a ratings boost from Josh. There's an attempt to goose another advertiser boycott but it's kind of a damp squib. And the show goes on with some advertisers and somewhat higher ratings than it's had in the past couple of years. And then they experiment with bringing back the reruns of 19 kids. Same thing happens. And the network is very very happy because they get to run 19 Kids reruns. And the Duggars are pretty happy because at least they're getting a little cash for the new shows -- and Josh and his family of seven are getting some of that cash (big relief to him and to JB and M). And the show goes on for five to ten more years until boredom finally -- FINALLY -- drops the ratings so much that it has to die. Except that now that Josh and JB and M are accepted back into the fold, TLC can go on running reruns into eternity. So they're thrilled. And because the show is back on the air as if nothing had happened -- albeit in rerun form-- the Duggs get back a bit of their old popularity on the speaking circuit. So they dont' get as much cash as they'd like, but they get more than they;'re getting now. So they're kind of happy. And Josh may bet to do his damn redemption tour. Because tv has redeemed him already.

Lovely.

I hope something different happens.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
18 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Unfortunately, I can see a Josh appearance boosting ratings by a fairly hefty amount. So then I suppose there will have to be another -- kinda preemptive -- movement to boycott advertisers again. And hope that people get as excited about that now as they did a few years ago when the whole Josh thing was fresh. ... And I kind of think that it's unlikely you could really recreate that level of annoyance this far after the fact. People's memories aren't all that long.

So my predicted outcome -- they get a ratings boost from Josh. There's an attempt to goose another advertiser boycott but it's kind of a damp squib. And the show goes on with some advertisers and somewhat higher ratings than it's had in the past couple of years. And then they experiment with bringing back the reruns of 19 kids. Same thing happens. And the network is very very happy because they get to run 19 Kids reruns. And the Duggars are pretty happy because at least they're getting a little cash for the new shows -- and Josh and his family of seven are getting some of that cash (big relief to him and to JB and M). And the show goes on for five to ten more years until boredom finally -- FINALLY -- drops the ratings so much that it has to die. Except that now that Josh and JB and M are accepted back into the fold, TLC can go on running reruns into eternity. So they're thrilled. And because the show is back on the air as if nothing had happened -- albeit in rerun form-- the Duggs get back a bit of their old popularity on the speaking circuit. So they dont' get as much cash as they'd like, but they get more than they;'re getting now. So they're kind of happy. And Josh may bet to do his damn redemption tour. Because tv has redeemed him already.

Lovely.

This is exactly what I see happening. I think most people saw it coming when the show came back. There's nothing to prevent it. If molestation and covering it up doesn't end a show for good nothing will.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Unfortunately, I can see a Josh appearance boosting ratings by a fairly hefty amount.  . . . 

And the show goes on with some advertisers and somewhat higher ratings than it's had in the past couple of years. And then they experiment with bringing back the reruns of 19 kids. Same thing happens. And the network is very very happy because they get to run 19 Kids reruns.. . .

Lovely.

13 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

This is exactly what I see happening. I think most people saw it coming when the show came back. There's nothing to prevent it. If molestation and covering it up doesn't end a show for good nothing will.

Yep. Follow the money. TLC has years' worth of old "X Kids and Counting" episodes just sitting around in the vault. Joshgate blew up their plans to fill hours of daily airtime with reruns of those shows. IIRC TLC was already showing repeats of Duggar episodes in spots like early morning. Not only did TLC have to scramble to find something else, their bean counters were probably nauseous when they looked at the lost revenues from not being able to show all those repeats. Which is why IMO, TLC was really slow to react to Joshgates 1 and 2, and failed to cut ties with the Duggars.

As many of us predicted, Josh's redemption story is about to be rolled out. And the Duggars are happy because Jesus and money, and TLC is happy because money.

At least the Duggars won't see a dime from any of those reruns. 

About TLC being slow to react: when Joshgate 1 first broke, TLC had 19K&C shows on the schedule, I think they were repeats but still up there big and bold and promoted, on the schedule and the TLC website. It took IIRC at least a few days before TLC pulled all 19K&C shows from the schedule. Then after Joshgate 2 broke, TLC cancelled 19K&C. However, they popped right back up with (a) a phony baloney PR exercise in the form of a special about childhood sexual abuse which Michelle and a few of the daughters attended, all for the cameras; and (b) a New!! Show!! about New!! Duggars!! called "Counting On." 

I bet that if TLC had as many episodes of Honey Boo Boo in their vault as they had Duggar shows? They wouldn't have been so quick to cut ties with that family. At least Mama June and her family were flat out happy white trash and weren't presented as super-speshul extra-holy and pure and Godly. But TLC didn't have nearly as much invested in them and it was easier to cut their losses. Besides which, at the time that scandal hit, TLC was riding high with the oh-so-wholesome and Godly Duggars. Easy decision to dump the Boo Boo circus.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

And I think Boob's timing is sneaky, because the public has largely moved on. There's so much drama and political shit going on in the news, I doubt there will be mass outrage over Josh reappearing on the show, the same way there was when the scandals first came out. 

• Love 13

I've been expecting Josh back on the show ever since they announced that Counting On was going to happen. From the moment they grudgingly canceled 19kac, TLC has just been biding it's time until they can get back to normal again. Because they know that the public outrage isn't going to last, not in the numbers that will scare away advertisers. Evil always wins.

1 hour ago, SMama said:

JB always wants more money, of course, but I think it's a matter of personal pride for him. He DID do everything right in how he raised Josh, dammit, and getting Josh back on the show will prove it. 

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

And I think Boob's timing is sneaky, because the public has largely moved on. There's so much drama and political shit going on in the news, I doubt there will be mass outrage over Josh reappearing on the show, the same way there was when the scandals first came out. 

I agree with your assessment. People are more concerned with political news etc that I don't think a big stink will be made over Josh. Some people may hate watch, or watch out of sympathy for Anna and the M kids. 

• Love 5

JB has always believed that Joshy is first born and heir-apparent to the Duggar empire because it is written.  So this "sin" was just a weak moment - Josh has repented, went to "counseling"/time out and is now expecting his latest "miracle".  All is forgiven.  So why would JB not push to get Josh back on air?  Josh is perfect to JB and Me-shelle.

Figure the book tour and such will be after the baby is born.  I see the cover now with Josh and Anna in an awkward embrace holding the "miracle" surrounded by the other kids.  I'm sure it will have a catchy title about finding strength in faith or some sort of nonsense and never really admitting wrongdoing and true remorse.

• Love 12

I'm on my phone so I'll post how utterly disgusted but not surprised later. I think we need to turn to witchcraft to stop Nancy from pulling this one off.

I bind you, Nancy...

Wanna bet Josh uses M5's birth to sell a redemption book? I'm sure it's already written. Totally agree about the people cover.

Jesus, what is these people's Kryptonite and how do we find it?

• Love 9

We need to copy and paste @Aja's post, and mass email the shit out of it to TLC and advertisers. That is, with her permission, because I would never think of pulling an Ivanka. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I'm on my phone so I'll post how utterly disgusted but not surprised later. I think we need to turn to witchcraft to stop Nancy from pulling this one off.

I bind you, Nancy...

Wanna bet Josh uses M5's birth to sell a redemption book? I'm sure it's already written. Totally agree about the people cover.

Jesus, what is these people's Kryptonite and how do we find it?

"I bind you Nancy" Hahaha! That was good

• Love 1

I think Jim Bob will test the waters with a cute little clip of Josh talking about the new baby.  (yuck)

When the ratings spike, Josh will do a TH about the cheating.  He won't discuss the molestation because it's too tricky, sensitive and involves victims.  But Josh and Anna need  money and those two will do a sit-down TLC special discussion their own marriage issues and how they have "walked through the fire".  I'm envisioning a Dr. Phil type of special. The books will soon be released after the sit down, assuming there is public interest. 

Guys, this is upcoming little trial is Phase I of Return of Josh. I admit, it's taking longer than I thought it would and in a different order.  i thought the book would be released first but maybe finding a publisher was a pain or they didn't get offered the right amount of money.  So, TLC clip is going first. Then a few little appearances, then a sit down, then the book and then he will be touring again, talking about recovery. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, PJ123 said:

JB has always believed that Joshy is first born and heir-apparent to the Duggar empire because it is written.  So this "sin" was just a weak moment - Josh has repented, went to "counseling"/time out and is now expecting his latest "miracle".  All is forgiven.  So why would JB not push to get Josh back on air?  Josh is perfect to JB and Me-shelle.

Figure the book tour and such will be after the baby is born.  I see the cover now with Josh and Anna in an awkward embrace holding the "miracle" surrounded by the other kids.  I'm sure it will have a catchy title about finding strength in faith or some sort of nonsense and never really admitting wrongdoing and true remorse.

"Counting on 5 Blessings and Jesus"

• Love 3
8 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Wanna bet Josh uses M5's birth to sell a redemption book? I'm sure it's already written.

There's no way Josh will write a book.  First of all, no publisher would publish it.  Secondly, he couldn't go on a book promotion tour because people would ask too many embarrassing questions, and thirdly, he would have to write stuff about the Duggar family and they would never approve of that. 

At the most, he might give a talk at one of the Gothard homeschool events.  But I doubt that will happen, either. 

To me, this looks like a TLC last-ditch effort to save the show because after Joy's wedding, there's nothing left.  People don't care about Joseph or any of the other Duggar boys getting married.  If Jana doesn't find a spouse soon, TLC will be out of story lines.  At least Josh is good for some interest because of the scandals.  But, having him on the show could also backfire bigtime.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I thought TLC was out of story lines already. 

They are. I challenge anyone who plans to hate-watch to keep track of the actual minutes of new footage they show. It probably be under five minutes of new footage for the entire season.

• Love 11

It doesn't make sense to feature Josh on the show. The tabloids take an article totally unrelated - say about pickles - and turn it into a Josh Duggar smear campaign. Why would TLC give them anything real to grab onto and make more bad publicity? And although I do believe at one point JB had some power to influence decisions made about the show, I'm not so sure he does now. I think TLC and Counting On are fairly even in who-needs-who, where before the Duggars were a decent money maker for TLC. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mollie said:

There's no way Josh will write a book.  First of all, no publisher would publish it.  Secondly, he couldn't go on a book promotion tour because people would ask too many embarrassing questions, and thirdly, he would have to write stuff about the Duggar family and they would never approve of that. 

At the most, he might give a talk at one of the Gothard homeschool events.  But I doubt that will happen, either. 

To me, this looks like a TLC last-ditch effort to save the show because after Joy's wedding, there's nothing left.  People don't care about Joseph or any of the other Duggar boys getting married.  If Jana doesn't find a spouse soon, TLC will be out of story lines.  At least Josh is good for some interest because of the scandals.  But, having him on the show could also backfire bigtime.

I think it will be a marriage book.  They will write all about how they "walked through the fire" and saved their marriage.  Bible verses, daily devotions and all that. 

The molestation will not be mentioned and neither will Duggar life.  Just the infidelity and how Satan built the fortress in his heart and how he finally evicted Satan. 

• Love 6

But how will they promote it? It doesn't matter if the molestations are not in the book. They can't stop the media from asking. Book signings? People will gladly wait in line then give him hell, call him a pedophile. 

(edited)
6 hours ago, SMama said:

But how will they promote it? It doesn't matter if the molestations are not in the book. They can't stop the media from asking. Book signings? People will gladly wait in line then give him hell, call him a pedophile. 

They'll have to promote it in fundie Christian circles. But the inevitable People magazine cover of Redeemed Josh Rejoicing with Anna in The Birth [or Pending Birth] of Their FIFTH! Blessing, will give it a head start. Lots of fundies aren't as sheltered as the Duggars; they attend school, they have TV, and they see People and similar magazines at the grocery store checkout if nowhere else. 

6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Christian publisher/book stores. Redemption arc. $$$$$$

If Josh shows his face at a live event it would probably be in a church. No way he's going to show up in a regular secular bookstore where anyone can just walk in, much less stand in line for a book-signing which would bring them face to face with him.

Any personal appearance by Josh will be at a carefully chosen venue and as guarded against disruption as Jessa Blessa's upcoming "fashion advice for the Godly and style-impaired" event. They'll probably haul Anna along to be displayed as Exhibit A of The Redemption Of Josh Duggar, clutching Baby #5, and better yet all 5 of the little Ms who after all exist to glorify their parents, er, I mean, God.

Edited by Jeeves
It helps to organize one's thoughts. That's what they tell me and I try.
  • Love 9

Churches will promote it, their own blog, FB etc. There are tons and tons of fans.  

It won't be on the NYT Bestseller list but neither were their other books. No one really gives a crap about the girls' view on modesty and courting but the book sold and continues to sell. 

A marriage book will sell better because plenty of people have marriages that need help. 

You are right, they will have to have tight security on book signings or not do them at all for fear of someone screaming "pedophile" and ruining their vibe. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I have no problems with Josh coming back to the show for a one-time deal if he actually mans up and tells his side of the story about the adultery without the buffer of Anna, JB, Michelle, or an extraneous sibling. 

I doubt that will happen on TLC.  Josh will be on to tout that he is having sex again with Anna and that he is now expecting child #5 (and counting) at age 29, as if that will whitewash all of his previous sexual encounters with children and other women.  And he will be ever so grateful that God has bestowed upon him another blessing (baby).

• Love 3
On 5/11/2017 at 1:39 PM, Aja said:
On 5/11/2017 at 1:30 PM, Rabbittron said:

I thought TLC was out of story lines already. 

They are. I challenge anyone who plans to hate-watch to keep track of the actual minutes of new footage they show. It probably be under five minutes of new footage for the entire season.

Even the "new" stuff isn't really new because we've already seen it on the Internet. TLC's turn around time on filming to airing is way too long. Between Facebook, Instagram, and the Dillard's web page, we already know what they're doing and all their reasons why this is what Jesus wants months before it airs on TV.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Mollie said:

I doubt that will happen on TLC.  Josh will be on to tout that he is having sex again with Anna and that he is now expecting child #5 (and counting) at age 29, as if that will whitewash all of his previous sexual encounters with children and other women.  And he will be ever so grateful that God has bestowed upon him another blessing (baby).

Hey, where is the spoiler alert? ;)

• Love 10
On 5/10/2017 at 1:35 PM, Mollie said:

You're not going to believe this, but In Touch is reporting that Josh Duggar will appear on the new season of Counting On.

“'He [Jim Bob Duggar] spent a month trying to convince TLC that Josh should be back on the show. They finally caved and agreed to let him film an upcoming Counting On webisode where he’ll talk about his joy at learning he’s going to be a father again,' the source explains. If the episode is well-received, 'He’ll appear on the next season of Counting On.'” 

I KNEW IT.

Don't I owe a donation to the local food bank for this? I said it would happen within the calendar year. The normalizing of child molestation by TLC continues, doesn't it?

Nancy, how much was your soul worth?

• Love 14
On 5/12/2017 at 8:23 PM, PoshSprinkles said:

I have no problems with Josh coming back to the show for a one-time deal if he actually mans up and tells his side of the story about the adultery without the buffer of Anna, JB, Michelle, or an extraneous sibling. 

Can you spell   "c-o-w-a-r-d"?      

• Love 4

Yup. Ain't happening. If they show him at all, he'll be glued to Anna's side and likely won't even speak. They already have this season's footage in the can, so it has to be something they can easily edit out if his sizzle reel doesn't go well. We should all bombard TLC's FB page to ensure his Q rating remains rock bottom.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Can you spell   "c-o-w-a-r-d"?      

Maybe Megyn Kelly can have him on again and he can spend a fifteen minute segment choking out Christianese and buzzwords. If we really get lucky, maybe he'll proposition her on a hot mic. After all, she wears pants and we all know that women who wear pants = sluts.

A girl can dream.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Didn't Megyn leave FAUX News? Would they even allow Smuggar to be interviewed by a woman? 

Megyn's at NBC now. More visibility. She'll need plenty of publicity to get her new daytime show off the ground. The trainwreck factor might make Joshley Madison and Anna worth a segment.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yup. Ain't happening. If they show him at all, he'll be glued to Anna's side and likely won't even speak. They already have this season's footage in the can, so it has to be something they can easily edit out if his sizzle reel doesn't go well. We should all bombard TLC's FB page to ensure his Q rating remains rock bottom.

It's a webisode, so it technically doesn't air. I'm technically correct, the best kind of correct!

• Love 4

Right, it's another TLCme 30 second blurb like they've done with all of the other kidults to promote the past couple of seasons (although they didn't air the Dullards until after they'd announced their pregnancy after the season was over!). They kind of sprinkled the promos before and throughout the season. I imagine they will float up the Smuggar trial balloon before 6/12, though. Jessa's won't air until she gives birth on air, same with Joy and her engagement. And I suppose Joe and Kendra as well. TLC kind of tacked them on as an afterthought in their promo. 

TLC is losing its audience for this show, as evidenced by Jinger's new Instagram account.  She has 352,000 followers.  I figure that these are the remaining, diehard Duggar followers.

From back in the heyday, Jill has 1,600,000 and Jessa has 1,900,000.

Much, much less interest in husbands:

Ben: 881,000; Derick: 808,000; Jeremy: 198,000.

• Love 2