Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: No Way Out

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Anyone notice the walker child in,blue PJ's.

Think that and Carol's threats playing in Sam's head was the straw that broke him.

Walker kid was also shown eating Sam.

Lucky that no one knows how Carol inadvertently caused the entire family dying. Not even Carol.

Carl's problems are going to be just walking up and down the stairs at first. He won't have a problem with shooting.

I'm not a shooter but don't people close one eye when they take aim?

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 8

OMG, that was one of the best episodes EVAH!! So many people got the ending they deserved!!

The opening scene were Negan's asshole thugs got blown up. Beautiful! I cheered. CreepyWolf got the ending he deserved!

But holy hell, Jessie and her kids all got taken out at the same time. Stupid Sam and Porch Dick jr so deserved it, but POOR Carl!! That asshole took out his eye. I was cheering when they were taken out too. Then I was hoping that Carol would have taken out Morgan. Michonne not even hesitating to take out Porch Dick Jr - God I love her!

Rick losing it, and taking on the herd of Walkers, and everyone joining in! Last minute Sasha/Abraham saving Glenn was a thing of beauty! Gabriel finally joining in the fight! Eugene!

Poor Carl!!

• Love 20

Holy flippin' shit, this was good episode!

Negan's gang getting blown up was a hell of a way to start an episode.  You are too awesome, Daryl!

The Annoying Family's dead!  Yay!!!!!!!  Though, to be fair, I would totally be like poor Sam.  Just standing in the middle of horror, crying.

Little Boy in jammies Walker :(

Fuck you, Ron, for shooting out Carl's eye!  And thank you, Michonne, for taking out Ron.

The Wolf saved Denise (who I keep wanting to call Deidre).  Denise is alive, that's all that matters.

Stop toying the audience with Glenn peril, show.  It ain't funny.

The Alexandrians grew spines!  Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seriously, those jump cuts of everyone taking out Walkers were unbelievable.

I hate that Andrew Lincoln doesn't get any Emmy recognition.  I fact, I hate that a lot of the actors don't get Emmy recognition because they're acting their asses off.  Enough with the Netflix nominations, Emmy people.

• Love 20

My service went out while walkers were going into the lake of fire.  Anyone willing to fill me in on the last 3 minutes?

Daryl ... why didn't you suggest the oil fire, I don't know ... while they were all in a huge contained pit?!?!

• Love 12

So Daryl finally did what should have been done in the very beginning when all the walkers were gathered together in a pit AWAY from the town... create a huge zombie bonfire. And Rick's plan? Go out and kill as many zombies as you can-- with no other strategy or plan. He didn't even count on anyone helping him! How long will it take for these people to realize that he's not a good leader? Srsly. I vote for  Daryl as the new leader. Did you see how he solved that Negan gang problem? Sheer elegance in its simplicity. Rick's plan: sheer stupidity in its simplicity.

• Love 16

This episode was a top 5 favorite for me, for sure. It had everything I wanted! Let's just hope they can keep up the momentum better than they have in the past.

Also, I cheered a little when Sam got eaten. Oops.

• Love 8

I thought that, too. I also wonder how Carl is still going to shoot zombies with no depth perception. Then I consoled myself with the fact that Carl could still chop off their heads with a machete.

The Governor landed a head shot on Axel from a pretty fair distance with one eye. I'll bet Carl will be just fine.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 11

Also, I cheered a little when Sam got eaten. Oops.

I didn't cheer at Sam or Jessie.  When Michonne took out Ron, this was me....

"Yesss!!!" (actual fist pump).  Crap, I'm an asshole (as an aside to myself).  Then, "Carl.....Noooooooo!"

• Love 5

Just me personally, but I can't put that on Carol. Sure, she told him some scary shit to shut him up. But I think there had to have been something wrong with him to take it as far as he did. This is the freaking ZA. Kids who have lived on the outside like Carl and Mika and Enid and Sophia saw and heard plenty of terrifying crap and didn't go insane. I think it's likely that Sam had issues pre-ZA, sort of like Lizzie (obviously not that bad), and the ZA just exacerbated them. He was not fit for this world, and he wouldn't likely have lasted anyhow. 

I mean, look at his mother. She barely paid attention to him. Kid's refusing to leave the second floor, drawing creepy pictures, and listening to Tiny Tim over and over - and she's donning her motorcycle boots and trying to impress Rick. Did she ever take him to Denise, the town shrink, and say, "Hey, my kid isn't handling all this very well, what can we do?" She acted like he was trying out a new hairstyle. 

Nah, I just can't put this on Carol at all.

I agree it's not Carol's fault, but I'm not ready to blame Jessie. Sam's issues probably lasted about two days, and Denise was already overwhelmed trying to save her two patients. It's hard to remember that they've only been in Alexandria a couple of weeks. Time for a time jump.

• Love 2
Stop toying the audience with Glenn peril, show.  It ain't funny.

I never worry about Glenn now. He apparently has zombie immunity. Yes writers, I'm still bitter about that. Having Michonne stab Ron with the katana and eliminating his whole whiny family only partially makes up for it.

• Love 6

Rick might need Michonne, but she doesn't need him.  She needs a man who's going to appreciate her.  I'll bet he'll come out of this saying 'I owe Carol'.  I liked the fact that Heath was right behind Michonne when she went back out.  THAT'S what Michonne needs.

• Love 10

Not at all. Carol was trying to toughen this kid up, which was essential if one is to survive the Zombie apocalypse. Ron being an idiot and murderous teen, who has no clue about the reality of the world, and Sam, who was too sheltered and fearful. Was it Jessie's (or Porch Dick Senior's) fault? That I don't know. But they were a liability, just like Morgan is a liability, and sometimes you have to remove those liabilities from the equation for the greater good.

It's why I was hoping that Carol would have taken out Morgan.

And he's got an accent!! Hot damn.

Aussie accent. Damn you, Wolf!

• Love 12

Daryl ... why didn't you suggest the oil fire, I don't know ... while they were all in a huge contained pit?!?!

Probably because he, I don't know, didn't have a tanker full of oil.

Sure they could have found one if someone had made the suggestion ... Alexandria is in the middle of a major metropolitan area.

• Love 1

I never worry about Glenn now. He apparently has zombie immunity. Yes writers, I'm still bitter about that. Having Michonne stab Ron with the katana and eliminating his whole whiny family only partially makes up for it.

I'm the exact opposite. I now think all these little fakeouts are leading up to his real death. They're screwing with us...messing with our minds! LOL
  • Love 24

Sure they could have found one if someone had made the suggestion ... Alexandria is in the middle of a major metropolitan area.

Well, since they were still scouting the plan when the pit opened up and vomited walkers galore, they didn't really have a chance.

• Love 7

I'm the exact opposite. I now think all these little fakeouts are leading up to his real death. They're screwing with us...messing with our minds! LOL

I was pretty sure either Glenn or Maggie was going to get killed before actually reuniting.

• Love 2

Many (if not most) do, but the really good ones?  Both eyes open - which is really hard.

It depends. I usually have both eyes open but regardless you are sighting with your dominant eye. If Carl lost his dominant eye, he will need to relearn how to aim.

• Love 6

I feel like this episode basically proved that the whole last half season was a waste and they should have just lit the walker put on fire back at the start of 5A. They have cars, so they must have gas. So many people would still be alive. That being said, I cackled with joy when Sam died, so maybe this was better.

I did love seeing the AZ group step up and fight for their town. I loved Enid connecting more with Glen. I loved Michonne fighting to get Carl through the horde and the forehead kiss. It was a really great episode but I do think Rick is bad at plans.

• Love 8

It depends. I usually have both eyes open but regardless you are sighting with your dominant eye. If Carl lost his dominant eye, he will need to relearn how to aim.

Yes.  And if your dominant eye doesn't jibe with your dominant hand/arm, long guns present yet another challenge.  :-)

• Love 3

Now this is what the mid season finale should have been, not that let down episode we got. Thank heavens blondie and her annoying children are goon. Because i am fully on the Rick and Michonne train now!

My favorite part of the episode Daryl blowing all those shit heads to kingdom come. 

Oh and show I am really getting pissed at you making me worry about Glenn all the time. He has a wife and a baby on the way quit that shit right now, thank you!

• Love 6

I imagine Daryl was sad to have to blow up all those motorcycles.  That gang, they're an example of getting too complacent, sending just one guy with Daryl to the back of the truck, talky talky with Sasha and Abraham, I'm going to kill you, I'm not going to kill you, blah, blah boom!  Too late.  

I never cared that much about Jessie or Sam or Ron so not that sad to see them become walker chow.  I always thought their story lines were sort of pointless and an example, I think, I don't know because I don't read the comics, but I think an example of how something from the comics doesn't necessarily add much to the TV show even if they are significant in the comics.

Morgan saving the Wolf was stupid but it didn't actually get anyone killed.  Which I think was on purpose to keep Morgan from having too much to answer for.  

• Love 5

Stop threatening Glenn with death, show! Do not even joke about that anymore! 

The Alexandrians have finally stepped up into the big leagues! And just in time too! Our next roving band of assholes has arrived, just as our team has regrouped. And, really, I put money on our team, especially with the Alexandrians getting it together. After you survive a fight with Hipster Cannibals, anything else is just a long line at Wall-mart. 

• Love 13

Just me personally, but I can't put that on Carol. Sure, she told him some scary shit to shut him up. But I think there had to have been something wrong with him to take it as far as he did. This is the freaking ZA. Kids who have lived on the outside like Carl and Mika and Enid and Sophia saw and heard plenty of terrifying crap and didn't go insane. I think it's likely that Sam had issues pre-ZA, sort of like Lizzie (obviously not that bad), and the ZA just exacerbated them. He was not fit for this world, and he wouldn't likely have lasted anyhow. 

I mean, look at his mother. She barely paid attention to him. Kid's refusing to leave the second floor, drawing creepy pictures, and listening to Tiny Tim over and over - and she's donning her motorcycle boots and trying to impress Rick. Did she ever take him to Denise, the town shrink, and say, "Hey, my kid isn't handling all this very well, what can we do?" She acted like he was trying out a new hairstyle. 

If they hadn't made Jessie's husband such a cartoon, then the trauma of the abuse and the damage it did to both of their sons would have had more of an impact in the narrative. 

As it was, the whole family ended up feeling like a plot device - Jessie in particular being one of the clumsiest, laziest plot devices I've ever seen on this show. I imagine her spirit will manifest itself in the charred remains of Woodbury, because that's what she reminded me of from start to finish. Ponderous, dull stupidity that amounted to nothing. The only thing I will remember about her beyond that is when people kept posting pictures of a horse if negative comments were made about her.

Anyway... 

I was hoping they would avoid the "it's so cool and edgy!" bit with Carl losing an eye. But I should have known they couldn't resist that particular cliche. I just wish that annoying Darlene Connor wannabe Enid would go wherever his eye went.

• Love 4

Michonne and Rick would be hot hitting the sheets.

Heck, yeah! But I don't think it's gonna happen.

The Wolf cleans up well. Benedict Samuels? I'd hit that...and not in the "with Morgan's stick" way.

I'm very happy with this episode. I'm still worried about the Negan storyline ending up being "The Governor Returns Part 3 (4?)" but I'll cross that busted bridge when we come to it.

Darryl - I would have kissed you after that rocket launcher stunt. Even with that nasty hair.

What did Abraham yell to Glenn after mowing down those walkers?

Edited by Disraeli Ears
  • Love 7

I'm torn. On the one hand I was entertained,loved the death of the bikers which apparently wasn't as meaningful as I'd thought if Neegan wasn't there. On the other...I guess fire works, or is at least helpful.

As Rick sat with Carl my main thought was that it's unfortunate they lost their hairdresser. Carl looked pretty and all but, he could do with a trim.

Overall, pretty good. Hopefully they backburner Glenn and Maggie for a bit, after showing a reunion. They need to practice putting others in danger, it becomes less plausible they're in actual jeopardy each time they survive long odds. But I don't want them dead.

• Love 3

Loved the episode, I really needed this one to keep me interested.

I don't blame Carol for Sam freaking out, he wasn't prepared for this at all. That is on his parents not Carol.

Still am not liking new Morgan, he apologized to walker wolf before he put him down.  Snap out of it Morgan!

Loved the opening, best opening ever for this show.  Hell yeah for Daryl.

Am I the only one not just worried about Carl's eye?  I mean he was shot in the eye but the bullet probably didn't stop there.  Right?  Any clue what caliber it was?

• Love 1

Yes!! Welcome back show!

So much happened that I needed to see happen. Daryl started acting like himself again instead of a useless emo woobie, CDB began a journey back to each other, and ultimately worked as a team to get the job done, the ASZhats learned the new world order and pulled their weight, and there was actually a bit of character growth. Welcome back show!

And also...very glad to see the doctor finally being able to act like, oh, a doctor! 

:)

Edited by shanndee
  • Love 10

If they hadn't made Jessie's husband such a cartoon, then the trauma of the abuse and the damage it did to both of their sons would have had more of an impact in the narrative. 

I was hoping they would avoid the "it's so cool and edgy!" bit with Carl losing an eye. But I should have known they couldn't resist that particular cliche. I just wish that annoying Darlene Connor wannabe Enid would go wherever his eye went.

I did not think that Pete was a cartoon. A man who drinks and beats his wife and children is real life. If anything this show sanitizes humans too much. Also, I don't see how Carl losing an eye is "it's so cool and edgy" or "cliche" when it is based on the material from the graphic novels. It isn't like children get shot and maimed on tv all the time enough to make this a cliche anyway.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7
Am I the only one not just worried about Carl's eye?  I mean he was shot in the eye but the bullet probably didn't stop there.  Right?  Any clue what caliber it was?

According to The Talking Dead (I know...), the bullet hit the very corner of Carl's eye socket and ricocheted away from his brain - though bone fragments obviously destroyed the eye.

• Love 3

Well I for one loved this episode. Things so rarely go right for these people, so I didn't mind an episode where everyone shows up just in the nick of time to save each other (porchdick family aside).

I found myself more than once being reminded of Buffy, first the rocket launcher, the Rick's spiel about wanting to show Carl the new world, which was reminiscent of what Buffy said to Dawn at the end of season 6.

I also really loved the weapon swinging montage. It felt like a comic book style scene, which was pretty cool.

• Love 19

Oh yeah, top ten episode for me! The old Darryl mf'ing Dixon is back (if only he could have salvaged one of those dickbags' motorcycles). FPP and Eugene finally earn their Balls Badges. Zombie ballroom blitz brings together the B-team characters, and now I can fully accept them into the OG CDB fold. The milquetoast owl-haircutter family goes down - didn't think they'd go there! - in a thrilling way. Amazing quick-cut montage of all-hell-breaks-loose warriors. Wasn't sure at the end if they'd kill off a beloved character, but thankfully the Jessie et al. chaff was enough and the rest of the crew got to blow it UP!

The cherries on top were 1) Michonne kissing Carl's forehead and 2) Sasha's huge genuine grin after witnessing the exploding Neganites. I had to rewatch both of those moments for extra delight.

• Love 16

Overall, it really was one of the best episodes of TWD.  I love me some cheese and this was like a tasty Manchego.   Big kabooms with Daryl blowing Negan's henchmen to bits, walkers munching on little kid's skulls, sulky teenagers getting skewered by katanas, and  Carol  shooting the final wolf in the midst of his clunky redemption arc.  The only thing that pulled me out of the episode was Rick's flashbacks of his Jessie (how Sentimental! /Magenta) and Rick's monologue with his son... (drink whenever the Limey says CORAL!)

It was enjoyable because it moved quickly, had lots of action and (fire,fire,fire!) there wasn't a whole lot of navel gazing and glacial character development.  Now, I will prepare myself for the typical slow moving 2nd half of the season.

• Love 14

A man who drinks and beats his wife and children is not a cartoon, it is real life. If anything this show sanitizes humans too much. Also, I don't see how Carl losing an eye is "it's so cool and edgy" or "cliche" when it is based on the material from the graphic novels. It isn't like children get shot and maimed on tv all the time enough to make this a cliche anyway.

That's part of the problem. I never felt like the show gave it that type of treatment. Everything from the way that Jessie's pain and the pain of her children was mostly ignored in favor of the "connection" with Rick, to the need to push the "Is Rick crazy" narrative, to the OTT acting from the guy who played him, to Hardwick going on and on with the "Porchdick" comedy routine on Talking Dead every week. I never believed in a genuine sense of menace. As a result, the only thing many will remember is Carol scaring Sam, rather than him living in an abusive home his entire life.

I stand by the shooting being a cliche. It was such a cliche A Christmas Story even had the running gag about it ("you'll shoot your eye out"). They already had Carl shot once for shock value, so that's another cliche. I thought the way the comic did it came across as faux-edgy and trying too hard, it came across as pointless and lazy misery, and I was desperately hoping they would avoid that here. Oh well.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 17

Enid needs to stay with Maggie and Glenn. They can anchor her. She is such a lost soul.

One of the producers has said Enid is a mixture of Sophia and another character in the comics.

Sophia lived much longer in the comics and was "adopted" by Glenn and Maggie sometime after Carols death. Considering that Glenn got Enid to help I'm thinking she will bond with them and live with them

Edited by HalcyonDays
Comic Spoilers
  • Love 7

FLOVED THIS EPISODE.

The only thing that I didn't like - and it's only because I spent the break wondering if they were going to just punch the kid in the mouth - was in the cliffhanger when they walk out of the house covered in walker guts, Sam is like, "Mom.  Moooooom." 

And in this episode, it was as if that never even happened. 

Other than that, FLOVED.

• Love 20

Sam's death was one of the most satisfying things I've ever seen on this show. Somehow it seemed even better because of the stupid fake out where we thought for just one minute he'd got his shit together. If he'd just gone to the church with Judith and Father Pee Pants, the Family Porchdick might have lived to see another day.

Clearly Daryl has decided that if he can't have his crossbow, he will just bond with that nifty rocket launcher.

I really did think they were about to off Glenn. Maggie finding out he's alive just before watching him killed would be such a dick move but I was expecting it. As if to say, we killed off these characters you hated but - ha! - now we're going to kill Glenn for realsies.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 9