Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: No Way Out

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Gabriel steps up. Does this mean I have to stop calling him FPP?

It was nice to finally see FPP step up, but that came only after most of an episode of him making faces like he was hoping no one would notice that he did in fact have pee running down his leg.

Yeah, after having a night to ruminate on it, the episode does come off as "we know a whole lot of this really doesn't make any sense but oooh look, an RPG.  Look, flaming walkers."  Still, it beats full episodes of watching obvious red shirts pause to tell us how they feel about it all or 90 minutes of the Adventures of Tanya the Goat. 

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 9

I guess I don't understand what drives walkers. The fact that a bright light distracted them from live prey made no sense to me. Now did their selective attack on the porchdicks while others were also speaking, though admittedly not squealing.

And if there was any risk at all in all of the group getting to the trucks, why didn't the weakest/riskiest members stay there, and then the others come back with the trucks and pick them up?

Also, why light a fire in the lake? I thought perhaps they were going to spray walkers and light them on fire. Granted, that would likely have burned down Alexandria, but at this point I'm not sure they will stay there, anyway.

And Glenn was damn lucky that none of the bullets from the automatic weapons hit him, given his location and the angle of the shots, especially the initial ones. Luckier than Carl, I guess.

All of these things took me out of what should have been a great episode.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 9
Also as many have already noted: welcome back badass Darryl. Crossbow will be jealous that he didn't wait for her return, but Darryl needed a new toy and rocket launcher provided some awesome moments.

It was a good day for Daryl Dixon.

I was just happy at the end that we didn't lose anybody else besides the family of suck. 

Edited by festivus
  • Love 8
Also, why light a fire in the lake?

I figured it was to contain them. We've seen that Walkers can keep going, even when they're on fire. But if they're attracted to the lake, that's going to slow them down. Normal people move slower in water, so Walkers may become pretty immobile. That way you can stand on the banks and just shoot them all in the head as they wallow around in the lake. The water is going to be pretty much ruined, though. 

• Love 9

Exact same here.  Verbatim.

Well... by definition, his left eye is his dominant eye now.  For lack of alternatives, if nothing else.  ;>

My second thought upon seeing Carl's right eye shot out: Carl normally shot right-handed - he's gonna have to learn lefty rule from here on out.

Not true, actually. I don't think one equals the other. I am left handed but right eye dominant and I can shoot ambidextrous. The guy who was training me at the time (on crossbow, btw. Cheers to you Darryl!) was strong right handed but left eye dominant. I'd have to go back and see whatsup with Carl. He'll be okay though. He will learn and adjust and I'm sure be the badass to end all badasses!

• Love 7

I thought the ending did a disservice to Eugene's and FPP's character development, both of whom had ostensibly huge character building moments drowned out by all of Alexandria collectively dropping a pair.

I also thought the episode strained logic a couple times, particularly when Abe and Sasha unloaded on a ball of zombies with a gooey Glenn center and didn't so much as graze him.

I also thought the episode was oddly structured, with the big dramatic moment postponed until the middle of the episode. And I had to laugh at how obviously they set it up for people familiar with the comics. There's the hatchet. There's the hand-holding. Now a shot of the dumb kid who will screw everything up. A shot of Carl's eye concealed in shadows. Cut to the mother who won't let go. Cut to the brother who will take revenge. Cut to Michonne who will end him. Okay, all set, commence the mayhem!

And yet, having said all that, I couldn't help but get involved with all the hoorah and ended up having a good time. Welcome back, show!

• Love 6

I thought this was an amazing episode.  The climactic fight between the Walkers and Rick/CDB/Alexandrians reminded me of an Old Western movie I saw once, where formerly fearful townspeople slowly emerged onto the street to stand and fight with their lone sheriff, who was facing down a bunch of bad guys.  I wanted to cheer.

Honestly, at this point, I don't care if there's "realism" in terms of shocking major deaths.  I just want my favorite characters to survive - namely, Rick, Carl, Daryl, Glenn, Michonne, Carol and Maggie (maybe a few of the newbies).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 10

The pond probably won't be much for picnicking after this.  But it was useful in drawing them all to one spot before our gang could become completely overrun, which despite the cool visuals of all the slashing probably was going to happen sooner than later as they got tired and the walkers kept coming.  It's also preferable to having a lot of zombie flambe wandering around town randomly setting everything on fire.

With the introduction of yet another Big Bad and the death of Morgan's pet Wolf, I guess we're supposed to see this as the end of the Wolves?  If so, add another half thought out story to the pile.  We never learned who they were or what they actually wanted or what the disco trucks full of walkers were about or really anything at all about them except that they were a bunch of people with Ws carved into their foreheads for some reason who'd apparently gotten their hands on The Big Book of Collected Nihilism but never managed to pick up one of the 300 odd million guns laying around. 

• Love 10

That was the best ep since the s6 premiere! I was so stressed the entire time.

Thought we going to have a captives SL with the Sons of Anarchy so did not expect Daryl to simply blow them up, I clapped; the shock death of sweet Jess, it was heartbreaking watching her son get eaten as he's calling Mummy - she looked so broken, poor Rick had to cut off the hand of the woman he was fond of and then Ron pulls the gun on the Grimes and I ACTUALLY THOUGHT RICK OR CARL WERE GOING TO DIE! I have never been scared for Rick before and I stopped being scared for Carl at the prison. It was so tense, I was already tearing up - then Michonne saves the day! Poor Carl losing his eye, so glad that he is at least alive. Sucks to be shot twice before you're 14.

I was very worried when Gabe took Judith - and amazed Rick let him - it was a clever move by the writers cause nothing was going to redeem in my eyes but he saved Judith so I love him now.

Loved 'Festival of the Axe' starring Rick Grimes and was such a damn relief when the rest of the town joined the chop fest and went crazy on those walker asses.

Then thought for sure Glenn or Maggie would die with Maggie's platform shaking and Glenn doing his sacrifice. When he slid down I thought he was a goner, started to cry and then the cavalry arrived! Was so awesome to see the machine guns just mow all those fuckers down, I cheered, and then we got the big fire scene. Poor dumb walkers 'ooh, pretty light, must investigate'.

Yay for the whole town pulling together and saving their home. Yay for Denise (always Nurse Zoey to me) getting her mojo. Yay for Carol for saying she should have killed Morgan - it's not too late! Yay for Eugene being brave! Yay for Eric not dying!

Boo for the town having to do the worst clean up job imaginable. I'm guessing they don't have a forensic cleaner on call.

Boo for Carl losing his eye.

Such a good scene at the end between Rick and Carl, AL is a terrific actor, was pretty amazing to hear Rick have hope for the future and then Carl moved held his hand. Of course I cried

Edited by Save Yourself
  • Love 9

I figured it was to contain them. We've seen that Walkers can keep going, even when they're on fire. But if they're attracted to the lake, that's going to slow them down. Normal people move slower in water, so Walkers may become pretty immobile. That way you can stand on the banks and just shoot them all in the head as they wallow around in the lake. The water is going to be pretty much ruined, though. 

Exactly. Setting the walkers on fire makes sense if you can contain them like Darryl did, but setting them on fire and letting walk around on fire as some people always suggest is lunacy. Walkers on fire will set the woods on fire or buildings on fire. Besides this is the first time that our survivors ever had that amount of gasoline to use against the walkers.

• Love 6

Yay for Eric killing walkers with a boot on his foot. I was glad to see Tobin. I wanted to know what happened to him when he got helped up by Rosita and Tara when the wall came down. This episode was awesome. I was riveted to the screen the entire time. Too many commercials, though. I handwaved a lot ( why didn't Carl let go of Ron's hand and pry Jessie's had from his wrist) but who cares. It was entertaining and the montage at the end was awesome.

• Love 4

First, this episode completely owned me, and since entertainment where someone sets water on fire is already one of my favorite things ever:  WIN!

Michonne was the star of this episode for me. I love how she loves Rick's kids. She looked completely stricken when Gabe took Judith away, and she was quick to get that baby back in her arms. And damn did she mean business, clearing the path for Rick carrying Carl (have we come full circle???)! Loved how she kissed Carl on the forehead before going outside. Just love her. 

I was really excited to see everyone stepping up and fighting, even Olivia! I'll admit, I even teared up at bit at Eugene. Good for him. Good for all of them. Maybe this will finally bond them as one group. 

I seriously thought they were going to kill Glenn again. There were way too many perfect timing saves, but I'll take it.

Michonne is IT for me.  I love her so much, too.  

As for Glenn... I was sure it was the end for him this time, too, when I never quite believed it ever before.  This time I thought he was done even while I was thinking "But Glenn is ALWAYS okay!  He ALWAYS escapes!  Nooooooooo!"

Rick might need Michonne, but she doesn't need him.  She needs a man who's going to appreciate her.  I'll bet he'll come out of this saying 'I owe Carol'.  I liked the fact that Heath was right behind Michonne when she went back out.  THAT'S what Michonne needs.

I'm all about Family Richonne... but Rick & Michonne don't have to be romantic partners for me.  I'm good with Heath being her piece on the side.  <g>  As long as he understands her bond with her kids from her other marriage.  

I was pretty sure either Glenn or Maggie was going to get killed before actually reuniting.

I just can't believe that Maggie is going to make it out of this season alive.  We've got Judith to take care of, and we don't want this to become The Walking Babysitters.  I also worry that it will happen soon for Maggie, because just how horrific are they willing to get?  A Maggie with a huge belly getting torn apart?  YIKES.  

Please note that this is because I REFUSE to believe that anything will happen to Judith. 

Dear show, we like lethally competent Daryl, especially when he's bringing the snark. Please give us more of that and less emo sad trombone Daryl we've mostly been getting since season 3. Also, he still needs a haircut or at least a pretty barrette.

"A pretty barrette".  That would be living the dream!

Gabriel steps up. Does this mean I have to stop calling him FPP?

Damn it.  I guess there's always a price to pay.

• Love 9

Yes, Carol should have killed Morgan. I hope nowhere down the line they become friends, that would be too much. I hate so many of these characters, I was finally okay with Carl (after him being top 5 on my hate list almost since the beginning), and then this happens. He was getting good looking as well. Blondie and her kids dying without doing even more damage was a huge relief, they died from half part stupidity and half part zombies. Well, the older kid can blame his death on 100% stupidity. He was the worst, after Morgan.

Darryl had his glorious moment, I wish the show could be more just about him doing cool, smart stuff with Carol (and Judith).

• Love 5

The moments in this show - everyone going to join Rick in the fight and things like Abe cackling about opening the gate "pal"...that is this show for me. Those are both ways they show these messed up people love each other. And it works for me. I don't obsessively watch these episodes like I did in seasons 1-3, but moments like that keep me watching!

Also, I think it had to be dark during the zombie walk in order to contrast Jessie's happy face (bright, lit up) with their current situation. Dumb editing choice. I'd love to see a good fight in sunlight. They're walkers, not vampires.

• Love 11

I don't know if it was crazy to assume, but....why risk it? They were going to get cars. Sam can't drive. There was no point in having him along on this trek, and I probably would have put my foot down as well. As it is, I'm glad she didn't. =)

The second Jessie suggested Sam stay behind?  Oh HELL NO.  I was not having him go ANYWHERE with Judith, because it was inevitable that kid was going to get people killed.  Better his family that my Lil Asskicker.  Much, much better.  

Darryl had his glorious moment, I wish the show could be more just about him doing cool, smart stuff with Carol (and Judith).

We can have a montage of Judith training with her teeny tiny knife and crossbow.  And then we can all get weepy over her first Walker kill.  I'm in. 

• Love 11

This entire episode felt like a love letter to the fans and I have read it 4 times now! I was happy to see Rick's massacre not resulting in anyone's death but instead making them brave. 

As for Carol being to blame for Sam freaking out - ummm just no. That kid was the product of an abusive tyrant he called "Dad" and was locking himself in closets long before Carol came along. She said those things to him BEFORE she knew his situation and not for her, his mother would still be getting the Tina Turner treatment. I blame Deanna and the people of Alexandria more for knowing they were being abused and turning a blind eye (no pun intended CORAL). CDB treated Carol the same way in the beginning. For all of Dale self righteous talk and speeches he too stood by while Carol was abused.

After last night I am hoping everyone lives to see a new world. They all worked hard for it, sacrificed everything and deserve it (including Morgan, FPP and Eugene) but especially Rick, Carol, Daryl, Glen and Michonne. Anything happens to one of them I would be completely devastated. 

• Love 19

This was a good episode and I actually cheered when Daryl blew up the bikers. That lead guy was the most obnoxious character this show has ever subjected us to. When he was droning on and on about Negan I was kind of chuckling, though. I mean, how are we supposed to take someone named Negan seriously as a villain? That sounds like the kind of name a 13 year old thinks up when they're writing their own stories. I'm surprised Abraham didn't laugh when he heard it during the napkin speech.

The only moment I cringed was when Rick stopped the group and changed the plan to recovering vehicles from the quarry. Every damn idea he's had involving that quarry has turned into a complete crapfest.

If they want to make a spinoff about Father Gabriel, Demon Hunter walking the Earth during the apocalypse with Eugene the Science Guy I'm totally down with it.

• Love 7

Now, here's what I don't understand.

The show needed a badass moment for Daryl. Whats not to understand?

R.I.P. Anderson Family

Buh bye, Jessie and your shitty kids. Hurricane Rick and Co. strike again. I'd say after black men, blond white women don't have the best survival chances on this show. Oh well. You and your family were a useless waste of time and won't be missed.

hitting Carl. Right in the eye.

Coral survives of course like the cockroach he is. Seriously, not even a nuclear bomb will get rid of him.

we would all like Carol and Morgan to just throw down their stick and gun and start kissing

Yeah, not really.

There Are Too Many Zombie-Hacking Montages!

Was I the only one cracking up over this scene? I mean, Rick's "We can do this!" just seemed to come out of nowhere, and as nice as it was to see the Alexandrians fighting (effectively) for their town, it was just so silly. But I guess needed to set things up for the Nagan plot, which hopefully won't be a retread of the Governet/prison plot.

• Love 4

the transition from day to night was too quick.... 

Just like the episode when Morgan first appeared in ASZ. Rick ran around killing walkers that got through the open gate in daylight. By the time he made it back to Deanna's house [and terminate Porchdick 1.0] it was night.

• Love 7

We know from past experience that fire usually doesn't kill walkers, it just turns them into crispy critters.  So a lot of mop-up duty ahead.

Director to the biker gang extras in red shirts: "Okay, here's the scene.  You're all going to sit on your bikes holding your guns and looking menacing while your leader does all the talking.  And then you're all going to suddenly explode!"

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 11

This was a good episode and I actually cheered when Daryl blew up the bikers. That lead guy was the most obnoxious character this show has ever subjected us to. When he was droning on and on about Negan I was kind of chuckling, though. I mean, how are we supposed to take someone named Negan seriously as a villain? That sounds like the kind of name a 13 year old thinks up when they're writing their own stories. I'm surprised Abraham didn't laugh when he heard it during the napkin speech.

Ooh careful... Robert Kirkman's big ego might explode.  He probably did think up the name "Negan" when he was 13.

so now after his rage, Rick decides the Alexandrians are ok.  and what was his "feeling" and its been a new world since before he woke up.  He is as confusing as Abe.

In his post-mortem interview with Forbes (posted in the Media thread), Andrew Lincoln said the feeling was hope: "What you realize by the end of this episode is that he’s felt something he hasn’t felt since the apocalypse began. And that’s hope. He’s had a lot of other feelings but this is the first semblance of hope... After The Battle for Alexandria—that’s what we called it—everything that Deanna was talking about, everything that Michonne was pressuring him about, all of these aspects of the potential for this town are realized in the moment where everyone kind of links arms and fights to the death to save the place... It’s almost like the dawn of a new civilization."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

Shall put this episode on a continuous loop along with Season 2 finale and Seasons 3 and 5 premiere

I love that as I read your list I immediately knew and pictured each scene along with you. Would also add to the loop the opening of Hershel's barn/revelation of zombie Sophia, and perhaps the death and reanimation of Shane.

• Love 3

I was rather underwhelmed by this episode, after hearing all the hype beforehand.  I'm sorry the Anderson family is gone.  Yes, Sam was annoying.  But he wasn't any more annoying than Carl used to be, back when Carl was that age.  He had a shitty childhood, which was caused by the adults around him.  Same with Ron, who watched his father beat his mother, then watched a complete stranger shoot his father and try to get cozy with his mother.  And the stranger's son moves in on the girl Ron liked.  As if being a teen isn't hard enough in the best of times.  But I really blame some of Carl's injury on Michonne.  If she hadn't skewered Ron, he probably wouldn't have fired a shot.  Or if he did, it would have been aimed at Rick, not Carl's face.  It was a reaction shot, just like the shot Dawn fired off that killed Beth, after Beth stabbed her with the scissors.

Glad Wolfboy is dead.  And yes, Carol should have killed Morgan.  And no, not everyone wants to see them kiss and make up.  Even though Morgan finally put on his big boy pants in order to kill walkers, he still (just like Lizzie with the walkers) doesn't understand how dangerous people can be.  Eugene and FPP still have a long ways to go before I'll think of them as adults who are capable of adding something of value to the group.  Loved that the ASZers are finally manning up though.  Even Spencer (who is in the same class as Eugene and FPP).

• Love 8
so now after his rage, Rick decides the Alexandrians are ok.  and what was his "feeling" and its been a new world since before he woke up.  He is as confusing as Abe.

I didn't find it confusing at all. They could have stayed inside and let CDB do the work. But they all stepped up. Even freaking Olivia, who was useless as hell up until now. I thought it made sense that he would see them in a new light, see the potential this place and this group now held. A fight like that will bond you like nothing else will. 

• Love 13

Lucky that no one knows how Carol inadvertently caused the entire family dying. Not even Carol.

I'm not a shooter but don't people close one eye when they take aim?

Some shoot with one eye closed some shoot with both open. I shoot both ways at different times depending on the optic.

I thought the same thing about Carol, though it is entirely possible Sam would have panicked even without her scaring him earlier.

• Love 1

This will go down as one of my favorite episodes, one of the ones I pull out the season box to watch as a standalone. Everyone I liked lived and everybody I was going to stop watching the show because of died.

What struck me the most was the annihilation of the Porchdick family. Yes I cheered, how could you not - they were horrible. But on rewatch I feel a bit cheated, like we were robbed of how heartwrenching that should have been. I didn't find the "mom. mom. mom" thing to be a punk. It telegraphed that this was not a child who had real coping ability. I respect that he, for hours wading through monsters, TRIED to be strong. He really did. But what he lacked was true parental guidance. When PP took Judith, he should have also taken Sam and Carl should have gone with them. Carl would have protected the kids if things went south and was not needed to retrieve a vehicle. At any rate, I don't blame Sam, I blame Jess. And the scene when Sam died could have been so so sad if choreographed properly. I would have liked to see it be Jess who dropped hands and ran to her baby - out of instinct - a move that got her bit. I could see Carl trying to retrieve her and in her agony at being eaten alive, she laid a Kung Fu grip on him that he couldn't break until Rick cut him loose. I wanted to see the anguish of a mother losing her child and the strength, desperation, and sacrifice that accompany that. We saw it moments later from both Rick and Michonne when it came to Carl. Leading me to - PD Jr. I cheered when Michonne skewered him but on second watch it made me a bit nauseous. He was definitely a teenaged dick, but he was a teenager. What a short miserable life this kid had. An abusive father, a useless nonprotective mother. While Rick was justified, he did witness him blow his fathers brains out only days before and just then his little brother (was anybody other than me waiting for him to scream "SAM!" a la Supernatural?) eaten and then his mother. He lashed out - as would many - only to have Michonne's maternal instinct trump her compassion. It made me sad.

As for Carol's culpability. Was she the cause of that scenario? Not at all. But here's the thing, this will be yet another example of her mishandling a child for her own interests (Carol believes that Sophia died because she didn't raise her to be strong) before figuring out who she is dealing with and what effect this treatment will have on the child. It happened with Lizzie and it happened with Sam. Only Carl defied her and informed his father about her secret agenda. She is tone deaf and should not be allowed around children until she stops using them as a guinea pigs to assuage her damage. I think her realization about Morgan's motivation shed light on her own. Once again, I hope to see a changed and wiser Carol.

I loved everything else. While this was definitely a Richonne banner episode, I have a bad taste in my mouth because I am now ready for Rick Grimes to be the friend to Michonne that she has been to him. I want him to save HER for a change. As for two MVP moments to take away: charred bikers and kiss on the forehead tie for first in my book.

• Love 9

Guys...I'm completely inappropriate - during Rick's monologue, which was solidly given by Andrew Lincoln...and he was all, "I want to show you the new world, Coral..." I interjected, "One with no depth perception."

I'm at least as bad. At the very end, I immediately pictured Carl's hand extending its middle finger. :)

• Love 4

How do you get horses out of a burning barn, when they're too terrified to leave their stalls? You blindfold them. I kept waiting for somebody to throw a blindfold on Sam, or at least slap their hands over his eyes and start pushing. He might have gone with them that way.

Daryl trades in his crossbow for an RPG and it's every kind of awesome. Thank You, Show!

• Love 15

Porch Dick clan is dead, Carl gains "character" (dang, hoping he'd be saying "Hello" to Lori) and Father Fuck Up finally grows a pair.

Sorry but this episode still didn't work for me. Glenn needs to go period, the implausible constant "last minute saves" are ruining his character for me and I hope that this isn't another entire season that only spans a day or two. I'm considering Tivoing the whole season then binge watching as it became too tedious and drawn out last season.

This is a stay and watch or go on to something else season for me.

Edited for "auto correct" errors.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 6
I kept waiting for somebody to throw a blindfold on Sam, or at least slap their hands over his eyes and start pushing. He might have gone with them that way.

Yep! That's what I was thinking. Judith was under Carl and Gabriel's bloody poncho. Why didn't they do the same with Sam. But, then if the writers had gone that route the family would have survived and we would have to be put up with their asses for the rest of the season... and who wanted that? Not me! Jessie was never going to make it after seeing her child die such a horrible death. How could she go on and have a 'happy ever after' with Rick. The tragedy would haunt them forever... and Ron was never going to be able to go on after seeing his whole family die before his eyes. So their demise made sense. 

Glad that Aaron and his man made out alive, along with Denise and the other AZ residents I didn't mind. And I don't care how many fake-outs and near-death experiences the show has to save Glenn! I'm okay with that. I won't be able to watch the show if anything happens to Glenn. So yay for Abraham and Sasha's magical bullets only finding Zombie heads. That's fine with me... as long as Glenn is okay.

• Love 4

yu4sBa.gif

BBQ Asshole Bikers

UY0MGm.gif

Porch Dick Jr Shish Kabob

RIP Carl's Eye

Such a BADASS episode!!!

In the PD Jr. gif after he is kabob'd watch the walker behind him "dammmnnn welcome to the club homie" LMAO

• Love 5

Daryl and his "bunch of assholess" comment had me on the floor! Jesse and the kids getting killed and Carl losing an eye was a lot of information to get in 30 seconds. My husband was so distraught (He has a huge crush on Alexandra Breckinridge) that he completely missed Carl's eye getting shot and we had to rewind. Haven't watched TD yet but I am hopeful with the hot wolf :)

Edited by MaggieG
  • Love 1

Not at all. Carol was trying to toughen this kid up, which was essential if one is to survive the Zombie apocalypse. Ron being an idiot and murderous teen, who has no clue about the reality of the world, and Sam, who was too sheltered and fearful. Was it Jessie's (or Porch Dick Senior's) fault? That I don't know. But they were a liability, just like Morgan is a liability, and sometimes you have to remove those liabilities from the equation for the greater good.

It's why I was hoping that Carol would have taken out Morgan.

Aussie accent. Damn you, Wolf!

Actually Carol was not trying to toughen Sam up. She was trying to keep him from snitching on her when he caught her breaking into the armory, when she told threatened to put him out to be eaten by the monsters.

• Love 12
"Can you get the gate?... Appreciate it, pal!" With a Happiest Man In The World ™ grin

That scene made me grin too.  From now on I'm going to love Abraham.  

The water is going to be pretty much ruined, though.

No swimming among the bodies, and think of the smell. 

I just want my favorite characters to survive - namely, Rick, Carl, Daryl, Glenn, Michonne, Carol and Maggie......

Same for me.....and Judith.  I really fear for that baby.

I wish Morgan had killed Carol.

I hope you're joking.  I love fearless Carol.

• Love 9

Surprised to see how well received this episode was. It exemplified some of the more pernicious problems with Walking Dead as a show, particularly over the last couple of seasons.

• Go nowhere plot lines. We've likely seen the last of the Wolves, who started as an ominous presence and ended as a bunch of pointless, blood crazed lunatics. They served no real purpose beyond driving the conflict for a single episode and serving as Alexandria's 534th wake-up call. They can be added to the Hospital, Terminus and Governor parts I and II as weird, tire-spinning story lines with no perceivable arc and feeble denouements.
  • An overstuffed cast littered with characters that have low to no arc, in order to have a large roster of red shirts handy for "shocking" zombie deaths. I've not cared a whit for a single dead Alexandrian, including the whole poorly developed and laughably dispatched Porchdick family. Glenn's fakeout death was by far the most impactful moment of the entire season to date, overshadowing a multitude of actual deaths. Constantly rotating in a large roster of warm bodies so you can swiftly dispatch them isn't really interesting storytelling.
  • The show struggles to present zombies as a meaningful threat. Slow zombies are generally only imposing in crushingly large numbers, and when even that can be overcome with a little elbow grease and a handful of untrained townie assistants, they become somewhat laughable. The show already suffers from "tableau" deaths where a character strikes a ludicrously vulnerable pose with an exposed ankle or neck for a "surprise" bite. Even the most mildly determined/aware character seems to be able to mow them down like a tiger through schoolchildren. It renders an end-of-episode zombie killing montage about as emotionally satisfying as an end-of-episode wood chopping montage.
  • Logical/pacing inconsistency. Wouldn't a town full of wood buildings and flaming zombies be bad? Apparently not. Stupid tow-headed kid is not brave, then brave, then not brave. Father Gabriel is loathed and untrustworthy, then handed the baby because he promises he won't screw up THIS time. Wolf is allowed to leave with hostage for no conceivable reason, has crisis of conscience for no conceivable reason, doctor seems insistent on helping him for no conceivable reason. Characters often behave oddly or stupidly in service of plot points, and not even interesting ones. A bunch of people act senselessly so the Wolf can run off with the doctor and we can have...what? An indispensable 1-2 minutes of them faffing around by a ladder before returning to where they started? This is not good storytelling.
  • REALLY cumbersome exposition. Morgan in particular has been a lightning rod for this. Walking Dead has generally handled the pragmatic/utilitarian/survival at all costs ethos reasonably well, as expressed through Shane (before he was turned into a cartoon for plot purposes), the Ricktator, and Carol. It has not handled arguments against it well at all, with the "good" side of the ledger repeatedly coming off as obtuse or insane. Their attempts to add nuance to this in the previous episode with Carol's woeful "I have to kill to stop people from dying" moment almost ruined one of the best characters the show has. And Rick's speeches are getting overly on the nose.
  • Negan not off to a good start. Some pointlessly antagonistic mooks, a lot of posturing, an abrupt conclusion. Low to no tension scene, and your new major villain is already established as toothless. I'm sure they'll attempt to remedy that with another Shocking Death, but much like what happened with the Governor, the constant tonal shifts just leave everything feeling muddy and unsatisfying.

On the plus side of the ledger, Enid might be developing into a watchable character just in time to get killed, and after two seasons of "Why is this guy here" Father Gabriel transformed into a Warrior Priest, Blessed of Sigmar. At this point I just want ONE Wire Alumni to get a decent character arc on this bloody program. Could this be the one? Probably not, but we'll see.

• Love 13

Well, I do feel sorry for Carl, but its only uphill from here for him.  Most chicks dig scars and 'One-Eyed Willy's, so he's got it going on now.

Pity him for all the "Eye, Sir" jokes he's sure to suffer now though.  Peripheral vision tests to the right side, in the future, are really gonna suck too.

• Love 2

Surprised to see how well received this episode was. It exemplified some of the more pernicious problems with Walking Dead as a show, particularly over the last couple of seasons.......

I agree with all except Enid, I hope she dies soon.

Edited by SharonH58