Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E14: Finale, Part 2

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

You were all right. Ashley was set up to win from day 1 with kelly a close second. That was by far not a winning collection, although I do like Ashley as a person.

Edited by awaken
  • Love 18

So Carrie Underwood's acting skills from The Sound of Music couldn't save that choreographed outcome response . She hated it. I kind of like her for that. Not that Carrie Underwood has ever worn anything interesting.

Unflattering outfits for everyone!

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 20

The judges got to push their agenda and now they can congratulate themselves and (in their minds) absolve themselves of the fashion crime of size-ism, because they have crowned a designer who does plus-size and is plus-size herself.  I think next season will go one of two ways:  either there will be several designers focusing on plus size, or we'll be back to the how low can you(r model's weight) go designing.

• Love 22

My roommates and I were flipping between HTGAWM and this (during the commercials), and we saw her at the very end when it was clear she had been picked as the winner. I told them, "People on the internet hate her." And they were all, "What?!" "No!" "Why?!" And I tried to explain, as well as explain why I liked her outfits the least of those left. But they all liked her a lot, so I guess she has some pull among 20-something girls.

• Love 5

I'm glad Ashley won if the choice was between her and Kelli. My order overall would have been:

1. Candice. Gorgeous and well made. I wish she'd gone full out and shown her wooden skirt.

2. Ashley. She still had some construction issues. The crotch of those purple shorts with the horizontal pattern stunk. Overall, though, her designs were beautiful. I loved the first one with the bandeau bra underneath.

3. Edmund. A couple of nice pieces but damn that was stuff we've seen many times before. The white ruffle dress has terrible. The black long dress with the train was horrible. More bad or boring than good.

4. Kelli. Jeeze louise, that was some nasty crap walking down the runway. Unflattering. Tacky. Significant construction problems. Fanny packs? Really? A few nice enough items. The wood pattern dress with the sheer long skirt that Heidi pointed out was lovely...if you removed the craptastic fanny pack. Thank heavens she didn't win. It was a big enough travesty that she came in second.

• Love 12

I liked some of each of the designer's collections, (except Ashley's - I can honestly say there was not one thing I liked, at all).

Unfortunately, I was not IN LOVE with anyone's total collection.  

I still think that Kelly should have won, though....or, maybe Edmond.  

• Love 12

That was two hours of pure torture. An hour of commercials and promo's. I had a funny feeling right at the beginning that Ashley would win. They wanted a different type of designer to win, this time plus size, that they haven't had before. It was like the season Patricia won. Nothing against Ashley but I don't think her designs are flattering to plus size women. See thru lace, crop tops, shorts, rompers, and her muse piece...I have no words.

All the designers this season were not that bad but not that good either. Not one of them blew me away at all. I was underwhelmed.

Edmond, Candace and Kelly listened to the judges put downs last week , changed their collections to make the judges happy, and look what happened, they lost.

This show has definitely jumped the shark.

• Love 24

Too late....I've seen fanny packs or "belt bags" from Gucci, LV,  Prada and Coach.....all current collections, too!!

Good.  They're wonderful for when you're at outdoor festivals, walking the dog or on vacation.

Next:  Crocs coming to a runway near you.

• Love 18

Candice's models were seriously emaciated.  I was so distracted by the skeletons walking down the runway I couldn't pay attention to her clothes.

I'm shocked Ashley won.  I thought Kelly had it.

I totally agree with you. Those anorexic-looking models were scary skinny.
  • Love 13

Re: Candice - I would actually have loved to see her original, full-out runway, weird hats and huge skirts and all.  Might as well go down with your vision for the show intact. 

I think that Candice regrets  toning her collection down, too....just based on her exit interview.  

• Love 21

The hem on Ashley's first outfit was falling down and the flowers were sewn on to the finale dress. I assume that she worked on that skirt for weeks. That's not what I'd call a winning collection. What a joke.

• Love 13

I'm sure that you all noticed that NOT A SINGLE JUDGE said they'd wear an item from Ashley's collection. They would NEVER wear something created for fat women. Even if it came in size -1.

Her collection looked better than I thought it would, but so much of it looked amateurish.  Like they were created in a sewing class for women recovering from a stroke.

• Love 13

The hem on Ashley's first outfit was falling down and the flowers were sewn on to the finale dress. I assume that she worked on that skirt for weeks. That's not what I'd call a winning collection. What a joke.

Actually, a lot of those flowers were hot-glued to the bottom of that dress AT the runway show, behind the curtain.  They showed a clip of Ashley doing that (I think while the model was in the dress), and Zac asked if the flowers were sewn on or glued, and she replied "glued".

• Love 15

Ashley looks good on Rachel Zoe (for a change) but she really is delusional, and everyone is supporting that delusion while laughing behind their hands.  Even Kelly Osborne, who's sitting there no longer a plus size gal....

• Love 7

No plus size woman will need to seek out Ashley's designs because you can already find what she put out there pretty much anywhere.  Only better made and more stylish.   I didn't see anything that pushed the envelope for plus size at all.   And I cringed at the shorts outfits, there is no way that any self-respecting plus size woman would wear those.  

Which is really too bad because it's entirely possible that someone with real talent and ability could have  put something truly fashionable and interesting out there.  But that person wasn't Ashley.   

• Love 24

Poor Candace, I didn't want her to win but yeah - she was beat down.  I think maybe she should have said fuck it, I'm doing what I want and if it's costumey so be it.  I don't think she had a chance in hell to win anyway after her mini critique so yeah - screw the judges and I made this fab stuff and here you go.  

Edmond's didn't do a thing for me.  Been there and done that.  I think he has a great future, and I think he'll get a great boost from the show so I'm sure he'll do well.  

Oh Kelly from the Deli - it was way to glittery for me but boy she does have great ideas, she listens and she learns and she's going to go far.  My daughter and her friends love the designs she she has a market out there just waiting for her, so she will do very well also.

I have to say...I did like Ashley's collection walking much better than in still photos.  Is it my slice of pizza, no - but I can see where the judges were going in those colors, she did them the right way instead of it being some pastel Easter egg horror show.  Glad she held back on some of the flower hair bands, the styling then was nice.  I got where she was going, even if it's not my aesthetic.  

Have to admit - I am happy that Ashley won.  I thought it was cohesive and did look well for plus size, and I'm plus size.  I understand where other viewers and fans of this show like me can smell the manipulation thru the screen - I totally get it, and yeah there was a step down or something off with this season, and I don't think it was necessarily that there were all coasting and lazy designers like Tim Gunn is hinting at.  I think it's the show itself - it needs to freshen up, recalibrate the challenges, look into the judging process differently.  I did have tears for her, and for Kelly as well because if there was one season where they could have two winners, this should have been it.   

I've been here all 14 seasons, though I played catch up with the first season because I started watching that one half way thru - I assure you if you go back and watch season 8 with the travesty that was Gretchen's win, really this is not as bad.  Frankly - we could go back to the Season of Siriano, and if Chris March had made the cut, he should have won the whole thing with his collection.  We'll live thru this season, just like we do the others.    

• Love 20

I knew Ashley would win. It made me roll my eyes. I appreciate the inclusion of a plus-size collection but it needs to be...I don't know, actually good? Well-constructed, well-made, not so mumsy looking? I'm plus-size (I vacillate between "straight" size and plus size) and I wouldn't go for anything Ashley designed, not at all. Kelly's looks were...meh. Reminded me of stuff I've seen at Forever 21. Candace's collection looked too derivative. I was rooting for Edmond but...I don't know, his looks kind of fell flat for me. This is the first season I've watched since Anya won (the Trini woman, that was her name, yes?) and now I think I will go back to not paying attention to this show anymore.

The real person I was rooting for was Swapnil and he was booted off before he could even get to NYFW. Le sigh.

• Love 24

I'm sure that you all noticed that NOT A SINGLE JUDGE said they'd wear an item from Ashley's collection. They would NEVER wear something created for fat women. Even if it came in size -1.

Her collection looked better than I thought it would, but so much of it looked amateurish.  Like they were created in a sewing class for women recovering from a stroke.

No, but Heidi did say that "all women could wear Ashley's designs" - I don't think Carrie Underwood was buying that bullshit, though.

I mentioned in the "live chat" thread that since Heidi thinks all women can wear Ashley's garment, I want to see Heidi wearing that "orchid organza schmata with the glued on flowers on the bottom" on a red carpet somewhere....(and, no, not at her annual Halloween party, either!!)  

And, yeah, maybe all women CAN wear them, but do all (or most, or even half) of all women WANT to?  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 23

Actually, a lot of those flowers were hot-glued to the bottom of that dress AT the runway show, behind the curtain.  They showed a clip of Ashley doing that (I think while the model was in the dress), and Zac asked if the flowers were sewn on or glued, and she replied "glued".

D'oh! Yes, I meant glued. You'd think she would have taken the time to sew them on given it was the finale piece!

• Love 4

You were all right. Ashley was set up to win from day 1 with kelly a close second. That was by far not a winning collection, although I do like Ashley as a person.

I liked them all but it's not a Miss America contest. And what was up with the judges talking about how brave and risky Ashley was with the crop tops and skin showing on plus size. Nina, who has probably never stepped foot in a plus size store or department hasn't got a clue that all of Ashley's designs are out there already. high waisted skirts or pants with crop tops have been a trend for the last few years. yes, even the big girls!

What you would have a harder time finding is anything similar to Kelleys designs and that should have given her the win along with her creativity in creating her own textiles.

• Love 18

Well IIRC Heidi said something Re: Ashley. "I think there is something in her collection we would all wear". Oh really Heidi? I'd like to see you wear the pink romper with the long crotch out in public. Or better yet, wear that tent dress with the glued on flowers and see thru poncho with more glued on flowers to one of your red carpet events. I double dog dare you.

• Love 23

I wonder how many of Ashley 's outfits she would wear herself. I can't see her strutting down the avenue in that see through lace skirt with the purple panties or the blue dress with the mesh bands. I can't think of one plus size celebrity going for those looks. Okay, maybe the pink long tunic over the purple catsuit.... maybe.

• Love 6