Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E14: Finale, Part 2

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

The biggest travesty of the show IMO was Kelly's own outfit and styling. Good God, she's an attractive woman with a decent figure, what was she thinking with that monstrosity? It made her look positively lumpy.

Edmond was wearing Apollo Creed's trunks around his neck.

• Love 7

I'm sure that you all noticed that NOT A SINGLE JUDGE said they'd wear an item from Ashley's collection. They would NEVER wear something created for fat women. Even if it came in size -1.

Her collection looked better than I thought it would, but so much of it looked amateurish.  Like they were created in a sewing class for women recovering from a stroke.

Heidi said she would wear at least one of the dresses.

Once a beloved mentor, Tim has sold his soul to TPTB...

I can (almost) guarantee I won't be watching Juniors after last night. The endless commercials last night drove me to madness. More heaping doses of Tim, though, is the bigger driver of that decision. This weary fashion viewer needs a break from someone I once loved watching.

• Love 7

Yeah, sure. I mean, I understand that Kelly Osborne parted brass tacks with her last television job, and she needs a new one, and it's not a good idea to piss off the producers and the increasingly volatile 'mentor' you're going to be working with before the show even makes it on the air. Thing is, though, that unlike everyone else on that stage, Kelly at one point was plus-sized, and Kelly wore loose, comfortable clothing (mostly in dark colors) that covered her arms and from her cleavage to somewhere at least mid-thigh. So, no, Kelly. Just, no.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

What I don't get is why giving Ashley's badly designed and horribly constructed collection the win was this is seen as 'brave' or 'fashion forward'. Who, in the name of God, is going to offer to produce that hot mess of ill fitting, badly constructed plus sizes? Who would buy them if they ever hit the stores? The garment industry exists to sell clothing.

Even Nina, the queen of hatred for anything mumsy was on board? Is she that dependent on her PR paycheck? If Ashley's collection had actually been well done, well designed and constructed at a high level, no problem with her winning but, as mentioned ad infiditum here, it was none of those. Which makes her win a simple sop to her and plus size people--a back handed compliment. Yes, plus sizes are--finally--becoming an idea whose time may have come but it's only because TPTB have realized that there's money to be made, that larger women actually have cash and want to buy clothes which make them look and feel good. Last night's mess did neither.

I was a size 22 for years before I lost some weight but I would have toss Ashley's ass out of contention the instant she admitted that she glued those flowers on that ugly skirt. This was final runway at frigging Fashion Week--get out a damn needle and thread and show that you have some skills with technique and time management.

And a 2 hour finale padded by 1/2 for endless ads for an upcoming new series? What genius thought that was a good idea? This could and should have been an hour show with a special following for anyone who cared about the kid's version. I know I don't.

• Love 18

Ashley's win was the biggest non-surprise in PR history.  

On one of last night's entertainment news shows (airing prior to PR), there was a lengthy interview with Ashley - a "Project Runway finalist" - focusing on her plus-size fashion line.  Right then and there, I knew that she would win and didn't bother watching the show.

Incidentally, in next week's TV Guide, there's an article on Project Runway Junior in which Tim Gunn throws shade on Season 14.  When asked why he decided to sign up for the spinoff, he said: "I will tell you, I thought 'I don't know if I can sustain this.' But I'm so happy I did it because I hated everything about Season 14 of Runway.  Junior was this tremendous antidote to that. It was so uplifting and inspiring."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I don't know that Tim is the one manipulating things behind the scenes. I think that some combination of Tim and the producers are stuck back in the oughts and still think Tim's reputation is so unassailable that he can say ridiculous things because nobody wants to be seen challenging his honor. So, they give Tim the ridiculous things to say. 

If Tim had as much influence as he suggests he does, the judges would occasionally reinforce his feedback on the runway. They don't.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

So which model got the prize? The one who helped sell Ashley's clothes all season long, or the happy camper who wore the parade float at the end of the finale? (I know that's unkind, but that dress reminded me of the Rose Parade). I'm just curious.

That's an apt description, and that's all on Ashley. And GLUING her finale piece? Seriously?

I was wondering about Aube. Maybe her prize will be getting to model a real designer's clothing in Marie Claire, since I assume Ashley's feature will be plus.

I hope so. That poor girl suffered enough this season (and saved her designer more than once.)

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 3

The judges' insistence that Ashley was "brave" for designing for full figured women was so insulting. I won't be able to take PR remotely seriously going forward.  

When they announced to the four that they would be going to fashion week they told Ashley that they were GIVING her plus sized models and WANTED her to design a plus sized collection.  From that point on they raved about how brave she was to design a plus sized collection and acted like she fought to be able to do that.  They told her what to do!  That isn't brave.

Swapnil defeated himself by melting under the pressure.  I still think that he's the most interesting designer by far, but he lost his drive or something as the weeks went on.

I doubt he would ever say it but it would not surprise me if he lost his drive because he figured out the winner had been chosen from the start.  If we figured it out I am sure some of the designers did too but won't or can't comment.

• Love 16

I know she feels like the collection she created is "her," but I don't buy it. I feel like she tried too hard to "present" herself and play a game instead of truly being herself.

I'm pretty sure Candice's TH where she doesn't have a ton of make up on is her 'off duty' look and was filmed after she knew she had lost.  Every moment of screen time leading up to that was rigidly styled to fit the persona of a cutting edge goth goddess.

I find it ironic that the same runway show that supposedly celebrated "plus size" women included a group of "minus size" models.  I'm pretty sure a number of Candice's models would not be allowed to walk the runway at Paris Fashion Week.  A number of European shows have a cut off if the model's BMI is too low.

• Love 3

I just deleted this show off my DVR.

SO DID I!!!!!!! 

I know they're all self-congratulatorily slapping themselves on their own and each other's backs about how progressive and open-minded they are by their CLEARLY pre-anointed "winner," but the only thing "plus" about her (other than the obvious) was her sense of entitlement and smugness during those talking heads ... I wanted to smack her. 

Minus taste, minus style, minus actual technical ability ... did I miss the part where the zipper on that HIDEOUS romper fixed itself? ... 

I'm not technically a plus-size, I guess, by looking at me, but because of my weird figure I will, often as not, buy dresses and tops in plus sizes and I would not wear a single thing she sent down that runway on a bet. 

I surprised myself, actually, by thinking/hoping Kelly would win after runway (despite being firmly Team Edmond for so many reasons, and still am in terms of the designer I'd want to buy my clothes from) ... I absolutely LOVED her show (those headphones! So awesome! But we had to keep hearing about the stupid flowerpot headbands). 

I might have stopped taking the show "seriously" a few seasons ago, but now I can't even enjoy it anymore. 

Also, where was Edmond's cute dad?

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 6

Re: Candice - I would actually have loved to see her original, full-out runway, weird hats and huge skirts and all.  Might as well go down with your vision for the show intact. 

I wish Candice had just ditched the gloves and hats, but kept the wooden skirt and the monster finale dress.  I mean...if you're showing your collection at NYFW and this is your chance to get your name out there--why water it down? I wasn't a huge fan of hers, but I wish she would've given a judges the big 'ol middle finger and gone balls to the wall.

• Love 18

The Tim Gunn effect to me is this.  

for Edmond, he actually liked what Edmond had done with his collection and that is why he told him to keep the ruffles and not stress over remaking his collection.  It mad sense but Edmond himself should have eliminated the white dress but kept the black ruffled one.  I would have also gotten rid of hte deflated baloon dress as well be cause satin never wins and it looked cheap.

Tim told Candice in the home visit that her outfits were way too outlandish and costumey but she didn't listen.  The judges rightfully brandished her collection for the costume affect and for its flaming similarity to Alexander McQueen's designs.  I knew then that she had no chance of winning

Both Tim and the judges told Ashley that her collections was ill fitting and looked like a high school student made them.  It was actually Heidi who made that statement and also said she hated mostly everything shown.  The for Ashley to keep everything the way it was and STILL win?  I call Bullshit.

Kelly's collection.....just ...no.

• Love 4

Then after the show, all Candace's models went out for cheeseburgers.

Interesting that the kids showing their collections to audition for the junior show had some better looks than what was walking down the runway for this season's finale.

I would rather sew my eyelids shut than watch the junior season starring Kelly Osbourne.  

Now that Ashley has won, I hope she fares well in the world and I never have to see her again. Buh bye! 

Just like when Mondo lost, I think there's unfinished business here. There's a cast of All Stars in the making from Season 14...Swapnil, Edmond and Kelly. 

Speaking of Swapnil, Ashley's last dress reminded me of a sad imitation of his unconventional materials dress. 

• Love 7

Re Kelly Osbourne's "buzz"..girlfriend is a judge on PR junior, and needs to protect the job and paycheck, forget any honest appraisal of Ashley's efforts. And I thank the posters above who explained why Swapnil was aufed...anything he made for fashion week would have blown She Who Cries off the catwalk. And did. Just that we viewers would not be able to see it and compare their work. It was clear that Swapnil was being given a bad edit...that morose crew member deliberately sabotaged him, and Gunn's obscene attack on him, were ugly enough.

If PR were running an honest competition, then make plus size design a challenge for all the designers. Edmond would have rocked that...his sexy black dresses, long and short could be reworked into nuanced, sophisticated designs for larger women. Even the judges had to concede that Edmond really understands how to flatter women's bodies. In a straight up battle with Ashley, I bet Candice and Kelly would have done well. 

They sand-bagged Candice...I don't like her and don't like her work, but they let her roll all season, and then shredded her and her work at the last moment. No fair, and not pretty.

Kelly won four challenges, constantly improving and refining her designs, could sew and construct her garments, and has a gift for fabric innovation. In any honest competition, she should have bagged this one. 

It wasn't the designers who were bad this season...the judges were the worst. Dishonest and running a rigged game.

• Love 17

<<Both Tim and the judges told Ashley that her collections was ill fitting and looked like a high school student made them.  It was actually Heidi who made that statement and also said she hated mostly everything shown.  The for Ashley to keep everything the way it was and STILL win?  I call Bullshit.>>

I didn't hear that in the final evaluations of each designer's choice of three of their designs.  If so, that's very honest and true.  I thought they gave her a tongue bath and she was very smug that hers were the only designs that were not dissed by the judges.

The judges were so rough on the other three designers, I think it put them off their game and they made some changes they shouldn't have.  I thought Candices wooden neck piece looked awesome and even her model asked about it.

As far as the win, it is appalling.  I hate to bad mouth anyone, but Ashley's collection was so unattractive and poorly made.  Who fixed that broken zipper at the last moment?  Ashley seemed to think it was funny and just stood there and looked at it.  The poster above who compared her finale gown to a Rose Bowl float was very apt.

I think possibly Tim's negative comments about Season 14 were not meant for individual designers, but for the fixed win.

I'm a bit heavy, as is my daughter.  I know that certain outfits look good on us (mainly looser tops and tights or pants in darker shades) and others don't.  None of Ashley's would have.  Not a single one.

My choice for the win would be Kelly, followed by Edmund, then Candice, with Ashley dead last.

I think the only appropriate punishment for the judges would be for THEM to wear Ashley's collection, including Zack and including the flower pots, for a period of time.  I think Carrie and Heidi are able to pull anything off and look good, but Nina and Zack would be hilarious in them.

Edited by scarlettudor
  • Love 5

Swapnil's premature auf'ing makes a bit more sense now. The producers could not have the stiffest competition vying for the title when it had been predetermined from the start that this season would mark the first win by a plus size designer. <sigh> Unfortunately, any one of those three other finalists would have made more sense as the winner. I cannot believe a collection that included severely ill-fitting, wedgie-inducing garments, exposed large granny panties underneath sheer lace fabric and a hideous tent skirt with cheap silk flowers glued on is what won.

I am deleting this show from my Season Passes once the reunion airs next week and never looking back.

• Love 7

I admit I had my suspicions, but it wasn't until last week's episode where they tore down every designer except Ashley, that I suspected she was being groomed for the ultimate win. I don't know that they really "sabotaged" the other contestants, but when their only critique of Ashley's collection was to work on the fit, I was surprised. Everyone else they tore to shreds. So they were clearly setting her up for victory there.

And while I suspected that Project Runway was going to pull a Tyra and finally award the prize to a plus-size contestant as though to say "Look how progressive we are!", I was still pulling for Kelly, who I thought had the better arc. Ashley was up and down all season, with some good designs and some crap. But Kelly came from behind like the true dark horse, and emerged a surprise front-runner.

However, to be honest, I wasn't crazy about Kelly's final collection. I wasn't crazy about any of them, really. But I will admit that I didn't think Ashley's was so hideous that the fix would be super obvious. It was still a good collection, and cohesive, so a win wouldn't look completely out of left field.

I agree that Candace should've toned down the gloves and her styling with the hair and makeup, but I think she went too far toning it down by removing the wooden skirt and the hoop finale. (Although I honestly thought that wooden skirt was going to be painted a color for the show…) When that finale dress walked, the fabric was gorgeous, but it just looked like a dress. If she'd left it on the frame, it would've looked SPECTACULAR. But then, nobody had any big showy finale dresses this season.

Edmond's was boring. There wasn't really anything that special in it. And I really hated the enormous shoulder pads in his jacket, and thought the flag scarf was a bit pandering. (Though not as bad as Candace grabbing her kids from the audience for a spin on the runway)

Kelly's was cohesive, and I liked a lot of what she did. But it didn't look luxurious or expensive, like the judges said. It was fun, but that was about it.

Ashley used color, which always scores a designer points in my book. So many times they gravitate towards black or dark colors (Edmond and Candace). I did like a lot of what she sent down the runway, but boy, there were some stinkers in her collection, too.

I'm going to give Juniors a try, because some of those kids looked really talented (made me feel terrible about myself!) but I'm wondering how long I'll last before the precociousness makes me snap! :D

• Love 4

Eh - I've watched every season and I'll continue to do so.  I've not always agree with the winner.  That being said, I didn't fall in love with any of the collections so to me it was a roll of the dice.  Did see Ashley on Fashionably Late with Rachel Zoe and Kelly Osborn was almost orgasmic over the win.

• Love 3

That's an apt description, and that's all on Ashley. And GLUING her finale piece? Seriously?

I was wondering about Aube. Maybe her prize will be getting to model a real designer's clothing in Marie Claire, since I assume Ashley's feature will be plus.

I hope so. That poor girl suffered enough this season (and saved her designer more than once.)

Forget Marie Claire and Project Runway. Aube needs a cover shoot and a real runway show somewhere. She sold the heck out of every garment Ashley put on her this season and she's simply stunning. She's the one who should have been the winner this season.

• Love 12

I felt like Ashley's collection was for young plus-size women. I wouldn't choose her clothes for myself because I'm way too old for crop tops and see-thru fabrics. But I feel like twenty-something plus sizes could wear those looks and feel really sexy and "in-your-face".

As for Kelly - I hated the disco era back IN the disco era. There were only one or two pieces that looked sophisticated, the rest looked like cheesy, cheap arts and crafts projects. I cannot believe she spent $9,000 on that collection. However, I am glad that Kelly herself has stopped dressing like an groupie for Whitesnske.

Candace - I loved her last look and that was it. Oh, and the coat. Everything else had already been done before, and done better. Tim Gunn TOLD her she was going full-tilt drag queen, but she ignored him and then was shocked when the judges called her mini-collection costume-palooza. Even with the extra pieces that she didn't include, I couldn't help but feel that costume design is her real niche and she should embrace that and move in that direction.

Edmond - I really liked his collection. But again there didn't seem to be much new in it. But if he had taken the whole thing I would have been okay with it.

• Love 3

Heidi said she would wear at least one of the dresses.

I thought she said "could" wear one of the dresses, and I knew that meant she never would.  But then I am getting old, and I can't always trust my ears.  But I still trust my eyes, and I thought there were serious problems with all of them. I thought Edmund had the least problems.  I think I am joining the conspiracy theory people on this board and the plus size win was pre-ordained.  If they really wanted to push plus-sized design ( and I don't think for a minute that they do), they should have had either an entire season with plus-size designers or at least included 5-7 such designers in the mix with the regular ones. 

Ashley--- the only time on the show that I thought she had dressed herself well was when she was shown back in California when Tim came to see her.  And I only remember that she looked fine from the top up at the table; I can't recall seeing the entire outfit, but they must have shown it while she was showing her collection. I just don't remember. I just thought she looked much better at home, but maybe it was because she wasn't under the stress of the show.  I think she should spend time with Stacy and Clinton. I disliked her blouse at the finale.  Her first model reminded my of Anna Nicole when she came onto the runway. The shorts were dreadful, and I cannot believe she glued flowers to the dress. Zac cracked me up about her use of color.  Edmund's was black and white, Candice was red and black, and Kelly was mostly that tan color, tan mesh and the white print; Ashley was the only one with a lot of color and the flowers on the head  of some models, probably made the colors seem brighter. 

Kelly-- I didn't care for the tan mesh look at all, but other than that her collection looked sorta fun, and I could see all of them belonging to the same woman/older teen.  And I thought she styled the models appropriately.  

Candice--should have stuck to what she did originally. I wanted to see how the dress that she couldn't get into the door turned out. Oh, well....

Edmund--I never thought he would win because he tried out for all the other seasons. That is part of my conspiracy theory.

I will say that everyone's runway looked a lot better in motion than they did in the still pictures.

I think that Edmund probably has the most promising future. And I hope Kelly picks up some investors or is hired to work under another designer. Candice already had a clientele from what I understand so I think she will do fine in her little niche.  I think Ashley may do less well unless she gets some serious mentoring, and I hope Nina does what she promised.

And, finally, I want to comment about the prizes; it's funny as much as Heidi repeats them, they didn't really register with me until last night.  In my head I was trying to add up the value of the stuff (cars, trip, and the rest of the non-cash item) and realized by the time she pays federal and state taxes on the total value, she won't have much cash left.

• Love 1

Well, now I understand Tim's obsession with getting Swapnil off the show. His finale collection would have made it nearly impossible to give the win to Anointed Ashley.

Candice said all the right things after her elimination and Kelly was openly distressed. I would still rather grab a drink and gab with Kelly any day.

I think the reason that Kelly was so distressed and upset is the same reason almost everyone here is.  She saw what went down the runway.  She saw exactly what we did.  While not my aesthetic, Kelly's clothing was fun, well made, and looked good on her models.

She, also, did what the judges had asked of her.  I can't imagine what was going through her head while she and Ashley were standing on the runway during final judging .... "Oh, I've got this, I really got this!!!...."I'm gonna win - I can't believe I'm gonna win"....."Wait a fucking minute - what did Heidi just say? - Did she make a mistake?  Ashley won? - HOW CAN THAT HAVE HAPPENED? - WHAT THE FUCK!!!!"

If Kelly were standing there with either Edmond or Candice as one of the final two, I think she wouldn't have been as upset over losing.  She had been saying for the last few weeks she thought her main competition was Edmond (or Candice, a few times), and, if the judging wasn't fixed ~ which I'm convinced it was ~ they would have been.

I'm so disappointed in this outcome.  As I've said before, I applaud Project Runway for wanting to give a forum to an often ignored, but major, part of the fashion industry, but unfortunately, this designer was the wrong choice, in my opinion.

And, yes - I would love to hang out and have drinks with Kelly - she just seems like such a fun girl.  

All I can hope for her is that she will have much success in fashion.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 5

BTW- I always wondered why they didn't let Koto have a couple of plus-size models for her collection, since she often spoke of designing for women of all sizes. She would have been an awesome choice for a varied, inclusive collection.

• Love 14

Kelly was a great reality show character.  She was the Joan Cusack character (always beloved) in late 80's movies.  She has a true sense of confidence, which is always fun to watch.  She also has a vision.  Whether one likes her designs or not, one knows (IMO) that one is looking at a personal vision.  That is the fundament of any art, including the lesser art of fashion.  I think she was robbed.

Totally agree with all of this except that she was robbed.  In fact, I am obviously in the minority, I totally agreed with the judges comments about each designers work, especially Candice's being derivative (so cliche).  And I loved Ashley's sticking with her vision and really enjoyed seeing it come to life.  Was her collection perfect?  No, nope.  But I truly don't get all the hate being hurled her way.  So maybe the mandate for the season was a plus-size collection win.  It wasn't some sinister trick she devised.  She's a young woman walking her walk, who's probably had a lot of judgey eyes glaring at her her whole life - I admit to empathizing with her.  I loved seeing how happy she and her family were after the win.  And I thought the collection was the most cohesive and interesting.  The one model in the lavender lace two piece dress looked hella sexy.  Yeah, I said it.  

Worst season of the show?  I don't totally disagree, there have been better seasons and I'm definitely questioning Tim's longevity with the show.

• Love 5

How low-budget can this show get?  When the Lexus guy showed up, I thought he was going to award the winner a new car.  But, no.  He just wanted to announce that the contestants got to drive the 20 blocks from the workroom to Bryant Park in 2 cars among the 4 of them?  Seriously?  

I think that the winner did also receive a new Lexus - I usually fastforward through Heidi's spiel of prizes, but I think I remember hearing the car one or two times.

So the producers decided to squeeze the season finale of Project Runway into a 2 hour infomercial for the new junior brand. What an insult to the designers. Not that any of the 4 of them were worthy of the win, but at least TPTB could have made them and their participation in Fashion Week the focus of the show. In the end it didn't matter what Ashley sent down that runway. She was going to "win." However, I've never seen less enthusiasm on the part of the judges in making the announcement. It was all too evident that they were just collecting a paycheck, and Heidi's congratulations, offered through gritted teeth, reeked of insincerity.

As for the supposedly winning collection, meh. The models didn't look bad because none of them were a truly plus size. Put any of those form fitting clothes on a woman size 18 or above, and they'd resemble casing on a sausage. I'm a size 16 and know what looks reasonably flattering. Pastel see through lace would never find its way into my closet.

It's admirable that Project Runway sought to include a designer who wants to make clothes for the larger woman, but they badly missed the mark with Ashley. It's a shame because somewhere out there is a designer who could knock it out of the park and maybe, just maybe, replace some of the godawful polyester prints in the plus size department with clothing that the larger woman would be proud to be seen in. One can dream, anyway.

• Love 7

In other news, Project Runway Juniors is now in its 7th season. 

I'd rather eat ground glass than watch that POS with adolescents acting like mini-adults imitating Christian and Mondo and who knows else.  Personally, I find the entire idea repellent.

Ashely's win was a slap iin the face to what this show once was.  And Nina practically offered her a job on Marie Claire, too.  Ugh.

• Love 8

I stopped watching last night because I couldn't abide the commercials, and the obnoxious rug-rats of PR Junior.

I loved Kelly's collection.  What can i say, I love the 70s.  I totally got it and it made me smile.

Those plus sized models could not walk to save their lives, but that was the prettiest group of women I've seen on TV in a long time.  Like a million times more attractive than the usual PR models.

• Love 10

So which model got the prize?  The one who helped sell Ashley's clothes all season long, or the happy camper who wore the parade float at the end of the finale?  (I know that's unkind, but that dress reminded me of the Rose Parade).  I'm just curious. 

Will I watch Project Runway again?  I loathe Gunn and his manipulations. I don't see that changing next year.  I have no respect for the judges.  I feel sorry for the designers who offer themselves up as sacrifices to the production company's greed  (I don't blame them for taking the chance, and I know it is their choice but I just don't think much is achieved by being on the show these days).  It's hard for me to watch anymore. I know it is just entertainment. I know it isn't important.  I just want it to be a little better than it is.

Ha-ha-ha!!! 

That dress reminded me of what Barney the Big Purple Dinosaur's Mom may have worn to Barney's wedding......

I don't know that Tim is the one manipulating things behind the scenes. I think that some combination of Tim and the producers are stuck back in the oughts and still think Tim's reputation is so unassailable that he can say ridiculous things because nobody wants to be seen challenging his honor. So, they give Tim the ridiculous things to say. 

If Tim had as much influence as he suggests he does, the judges would occasionally reinforce his feedback on the runway. They don't.

Also, Tim was noticeably absent during the final judging.  I may be wrong, but I think he was always there - not to judge, but to offer comments, much as he does throughout the season now.  

I honestly don't think that Tim thought that Ashley deserved the win.

• Love 4

I’m so glad I didn’t watch this live because I skipped at least half of it. I’m not watching PR Juniors (I actually might, were it not for Kelly Osborne and Christian Siriano, but I can’t stand Kelly and have never been a fan of Christian) and even if I were, I don’t need to see it in the finale for this show. I skipped all that, some workroom banter, and the hair and makeup consult.

I just have to say, Swapnil’s collection was BY FAR the best of the PR designers that showed at Fashion Week. Gorgeous stuff that moved beautifully. Like, leaps and bounds better than his PR colleagues.

I have to say I was glad Candice came in fourth because I agreed with Nina that her work is derivative. Candice dresses herself, and Candice shops at Hot Topic. (Her son is cute though - "Are you done with the dresses?" Aw.) And she was frequently such a know-it-all, so I liked seeing her get a bit of a comeuppance. (Her models really were scary thin and totally could not walk in the shoes she put them in.)

I agree with two points about the finale judging: there shouldn't be guest judges in the finale, they should stick with the judges that have seen the work through the whole season, and Carrie Underwood was totally following her home training by not saying anything about that collection. She knew that shit was ugly. I caught some construction issues - the aforementioned glued-on flowers, there was a pair of pants with an ill-fitting crotch, the top of the two-piece fit better but still not that well ... I just don't think Ashley's there yet. I think she has a few years to go to refine both her taste and her construction skills. I'm not plus-sized so I'll defer to those who are re: the wearability of that stuff (although when Heidi was like "We can all wear Ashley's stuff!" I was like "Girl, naw") but she's had construction issues throughout the show and she has turned out some hiiiiiideous stuff.

It was between Kelly and Edmond for me. Edmond really does seem to respect a woman's body and he's a general class act (he was raised right, you can tell), and he gets points in my book for that. There were some form-fitting dresses in his collection that I would rock. I've said many times that I wouldn't wear Kelly's stuff because it's not my aesthetic, but there IS a clear aesthetic there - she has a distinct point of view. I thought her styling was a lot of fun (as a curly girl myself I loved the big hair) and the collection as a whole was cohesive. There's a market for her stuff - it may not be the most sophisticated market, but there is a market. 

And I TOTALLY agree that Aube's career should skyrocket after this. Aube has It.

• Love 6

Ashely's win was a slap iin the face to what this show once was. And Nina practically offered her a job on Marie Claire, too. Ugh.

Isn't that part of the winning package? A guest editor spot for a year?

Edited by PunkyMouse
  • Love 1

In other news, Project Runway Juniors is now in its 7th season. 

This is it's first season.  Christian did host one season of a very lame fashion show with kids but that was it.  

I am done with PR. I didn't like any of the collections and choosing Ashley was a total PC move.What happened to the dress with the broken zipper? Did it magically get repaired? I thought the last outfit in particular made the model look twice her size. And all the kvetching about the damn head flowers, who gives a crap about what's on their damn heads. The only pieces I liked in all the collections were a couple of Edmund's dresses and a few things from Kelli's collection. I was at least glad to see Candace get the auf first. I can only watch so many leather corsets on my TV. But it doesn't matter, they chose the winner of PR before the season started. But to add further insult, not only did we have to wait 2 freaking hours for them to name her the winner, but at least half of that time was spent pimping the god awful PR juniors show. It's bad enough we see adults get their souls crushed, now we can see kids get their souls crushed. What fun, NOT!

• Love 9

Was it really a car that she will own or, like in "Under the Gunn" a car they get to use for a year and then have to return?

I'm not really sure, as I never really paid enough attention to the prizes, but I do recall hearing Heidi say something about a 2015 Lexus whatever......along with the the other list of things - a Brothers' sewing studio, makeup from Mary Kay and hair services from Sally's Beauty for a fashion show, etc.

Edited by njbchlover

The fit on Ashley's clothes was off and there was nothing innovative about a pastel color palate. It looked like special collaboration with Lane Bryant not the winning designs for Project Runway. All of her models were plus sized but had great shapes and proportions. I would have been more impressed if her models looked like her. She had at least 3 pair of upside down V shorts (ride up in the middle when your thighs rub together) I'm not going to even mention her finale look; my psychiatrist is already having a hard enough time suppressing my memory.

I think if you take all the collections and combine a few looks you would have a winning collection 

Edmond looks 3, 5 and 6

Ashley 2, 4 and 6

Kelly 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9

Candice 1, 5 and 6

http://bloggingprojectrunway.blogspot.com/2015/09/project-runway-season-14-finale.html

• Love 1

from the website---

The winner of "Project Runway" will receive $100,000 to launch his or her business and a Celebrity Cruises® modern luxury vacation for two to almost anywhere in the world. Sally Beauty will supply a year’s worth of products and the opportunity to consult with Sally Beauty to create a limited edition “FingerPaints” nail color collection. Travel and hotel accommodations to inspiring destinations around the world will be provided by Best Western International and from Mary Kay, the winner will receive an entire year’s worth of beauty products for their fashion shows and professional makeup artist services for their debut show. The winner also receives a 2015 Lexus RC 350 and a complete sewing and crafting studio from Brother Sewing and Embroidery. The winning designer and model will also receive a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine.

I can't find that the car is only for a year. That seems just really tacky.

• Love 1

TwirlyGirly said, "In defense of Ashley (and no, I don't think she should have won)....designing flattering clothing for plus-size women as a group is next to impossible."

True, but with Ashley's "gift" and her being coddled by the judges, she should be able to accommodate any body shape.

• Love 1

I felt so sad for Kelly.  So, so sad.  She deserved the win in so many ways.  I hope someone steps in and helps her.  

This is a new low point for this show when I already thought it was as low as it could get.  I have to believe there is going to be some serious backlash.  Ashley is not going to be successful.  

Carrie Underwood actually said she would wear the purple lace get up.  Oh no she would not.  What is with all of them lying?  It was such a blatant display of pure unadulterated dishonesty.  They set out to have her as the winner no matter what.  I am disgusted with this show. 

I would  like to see the conversations Candice, Edmond and Kelly had after the cameras stopped rolling.  There was some serious bonding I am sure!  

I like Tim and think he does a good job as mentor.   He has no influence in any outcome or manipulating either.  His feedback has always been honest from where I sit.  I would love to see a montage of him giving Ashley feedback in the work room.  I remember him giving her the hairy eyeball, often. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

When they announced to the four that they would be going to fashion week they told Ashley that they were GIVING her plus sized models and WANTED her to design a plus sized collection.  From that point on they raved about how brave she was to design a plus sized collection and acted like she fought to be able to do that.  They told her what to do!  That isn't brave.

I logged on to say the exact same thing. Nothing brave about doing something she was ordered to do (and she didn't even do it well). They showed their hand with that mandate. As another poster said, Ashley could have sent her plus-size models down the runway wearing garbage bags, and she still would have won. Her collection was besides the point.

And I loved Ashley's sticking with her vision and really enjoyed seeing it come to life.  Was her collection perfect?  No, nope.  But I truly don't get all the hate being hurled her way.  So maybe the mandate for the season was a plus-size collection win.  It wasn't some sinister trick she devised.

No, but it was a sinister trick the show (judges, producers) devised, so that's where all the anger is coming from. If the winner is predetermined, not only is it illegal, but people feel duped - the other contestants and viewers.

If you haven't seen Swapnil's collection, find the link on Blogging Project Runway. I weep for the lost opportunity to see that in motion - especially this year.

I thought Merline's collection was impressive, too.

• Love 5

"And Nina practically offered her a job on Marie Claire, too. Ugh."

For some reason, my editor function isn't working.

To me Nina sounded like she was offering to mentor Ashley to make sure she (Nina) would not be embarrassed by what Ashley on her own would offer Marie Claire. I am sure Nina wants to keep her job at Marie Claire.

• Love 2

from the website---

The winner of "Project Runway" will receive $100,000 to launch his or her business and a Celebrity Cruises® modern luxury vacation for two to almost anywhere in the world. Sally Beauty will supply a year’s worth of products and the opportunity to consult with Sally Beauty to create a limited edition “FingerPaints” nail color collection. Travel and hotel accommodations to inspiring destinations around the world will be provided by Best Western International and from Mary Kay, the winner will receive an entire year’s worth of beauty products for their fashion shows and professional makeup artist services for their debut show. The winner also receives a 2015 Lexus RC 350 and a complete sewing and crafting studio from Brother Sewing and Embroidery. The winning designer and model will also receive a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine.

I can't find that the car is only for a year. That seems just really tacky.

Actually, I think that giving them a free lease to a car is better than actually winning a car, especially a luxury car like a Lexus.  The winners have to pay taxes on all the prizes, and the sale tax on a Lexus may be more than they can afford. That car is at least $50,000.00, so depending on where the winner lives, taxes, insurance, etc. on that alone, could be prohibitive.   

Didn't one of the past season winners decline some or all of the prizes because of that?  

I've never exactly disliked Ashley, but I confess to a moment of purest hate when I heard her say last night, "...I'm dressing real women."

Also, I was shocked to hear the judges gush about Edmond's flowy black dress...

3.jpg

To me, as it moved down the runway it didn't even look like a Hefty trash bag. It looked like a cheap-ass store-brand trash bag.

Edited by little black cloud
  • Love 12

I've never exactly disliked Ashley, but I confess to a moment of purest hate when I heard her say last night, "...I'm dressing real women."

Also, I was shocked to hear the judges gush about Edmond's flowy black dress...

3.jpg

To me, as it moved down the runway it didn't even look like a Hefty trash bag. It looked like a cheap-ass store-brand trash bag.

I thought the same thing!!  It reminded me of that one designer (the biker chick) way back, when they had to buy materials at the Dollar Store, and all she bought were cheap black garbage bags.

Edited by njbchlover