Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E14: Finale, Part 2

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Candice's models were seriously emaciated. I was so distracted by the skeletons walking down the runway I couldn't pay attention to her clothes.

I'm shocked Ashley won. I thought Kelly had it.

I was coming here to say the same thing about Candice's models, there were two in particular that looked like they might fall over and die at any minute.

• Love 7

I felt so bad for Kelly.  She was really upset and has every right to be.  My roommate and I had a friendly argument about Ashley's designs.  He loves her personality and thinks she and her designs are great.  I say that being a guy he can not see how unflattering her clothes are to plus sized women.  No way would I wear any of those looks.  I know a crop top, and sheer clothing would not look flattering on me even though I have lost a lot of weight.

• Love 9

I don't like Ashley or her clothes, however I think she did have the most original collection tonight even if it was not to most of our taste. And, as a plus size woman myself, I like it that she dares to show bigger women who are not draped in head to toe fabric, or all black stretch knit which is what the usual offering is. I also could see the Mexican and Frida Kahlo influence. What I really couldn't get past was the poor construction and the glued on flowers. A final runway collection should be well made. It doesn't have to be wearable but it needs to be well made.

I thought Kelly was a bit of a bad loser (I know she is very popular here) and her pieces to me were the types of separates you can find in any junior store plus a couple of Star Trek type gowns. I liked all of Edmond's gowns although I have to admit I am a fan of both him and the idea of lovely and dramatic clothes on the runway.

Hated the endless commercials for PR junior. I don't remember ever seeing so many commercials in one show and I don't see why they couldn't just introduce the kid designers on the first show. I didn't feel sorry for Candice, her clothes are boring and contrived to me and her own look is the same. I felt really bad for Edmond though, he is such a gracious man. 

• Love 22

This still isn't as bad as Gretchen's win!

Not as bad - it's way worse.  Gretchen's rich diapered boho in Boerum Hill aesthetic eis at least a thing with something like an audience, so I guess that's why Pendleton hired her at some point.  Ashley's audience - her girl - doesn't even exist!  And I LIKE her as a person, I think, and I don't fault her much for not being in control of her tears.  But this, friends?   This was some kinda bullshit.

• Love 15

First, Ashley herself would never wear any of those horrible outfits.

Second, I honestly think that the skinny judges thought plus sized women would want to wear some of that garbage. They should have had a heavier judge on who could give some honest feedback on true style for plus sizes.

Third, why do we always hear about outfits adding weight to the skinny models but Ashley wasn't called out on it? That poor thing in the long skirt had about a hundred pounds added to her frame. That god awful outfit alone should have gotten her kicked out of contention.

I have been disappointed before but never have I felt so truely disgusted!

• Love 18

I like Ashley as a person. I don't even mind the crying, as I'm tender-hearted myself.

My primary problem with her remains that she styles herself so horribly. & I think that is the heart of the problem with her collection. I thought the eggplant lace dress with the granny panties was hot. It covered what needed to be covered & showed what needed to be shown. The headdresses were a cool throw-back. Her crop-tops (kinda) worked on models with tiny little waists, hourglass & pear shapes. But, her solution for an apple shape, like herself, was the monstrosity she presented for the finale. I got the historical reference, but it was supremely unflattering. Anyone wearing that would end up on a worst dressed list.

I wasn't thrilled with the other three designers, but Ashley was dead last for me. I think Edmond & Candace will continue to work & benefit from the exposure of the show. I think Kelly's real talent lies in her gorgeous, creative textiles. That's her strength.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 9

I got up and walked out of the room the moment Heidi called Kelly "out".  Up until that minute I was actually a little bit enthused about the PR Jr. series (since they aired as much footage of that as tonight's actual program).   No way on earth would I watch that now, after this travesty.  Hey, Show:  Nice way to kill the new kid on the block before it even begins. 

• Love 8

It's nearly impossible to take this show seriously. I like Ashley and I liked that she stuck with her "vision" but a full-figured woman, no matter how body confident, is not going to feel comfortable in 9 out of 10 of those outfits because they aren't modern. Retro is cool and can be very chic but I don't think any woman, thin or thick, wants to look like a character from a 1948 Bing Crosby/Bob Hope movie. She can sew beautifully and has interesting ideas but it didn't look like any runway I have seen on this show. And it's not really a good thing. 
Was it Joe (Joseph?) who got slammed, a few times, for being matronly? He actually turned out a few outfits I could envision, and have seen, many age groups of women wearing. No caftans or mu-mu's. Well constructed, form flattering attire. Ashley's whole collecting looked matronly to me. 
When I think ground-breaking Plus Size clothing, I think more along the lines of well-constructed, modern attire with a twist. Just like ground-breaking attire for so-called "normal" (i.e. size 6 and lower) clothing would be. 
It has been a long damn time since this show has turned out a "show stopping" runway. I always thought the runways of Paris and New York featured a handful of things that are ready-to-wear with a bit of fashion "theater" thrown in. Those looks nobody every really wears, like the million dollar Victoria's Secret bra, but it makes an interesting show. 
I liked some of Candice but it wasn't anything we haven't seen before. I think Edmond's looked the most cohesive and a couple of those dresses could go straight from the runway to the red carpet. Kelly's was the most fun and free-spirited and original out of the 4. She wasn't designing for me, at 40+, but she had a definite target. 
But with that said, Swapnil had the best collection overall from all the collections shown at NYFW. It's too bad he didn't get to show it ON the show because it was intricate and beautiful and looked amazing on the runway. 

And really, after all this time, I can't really listen to Heidi talk about fashion. She is so gorgeous but she also gets to be dressed by top designers, in couture, with stylists at her whim. Add in Nina, who I made clear in another post always gives me a laugh when she talks "taste" and she has rocked that tired, washed-out hair for the past thousand seasons. And Tim. After the sad "Under The Gun" and what a d-bag he came across as, I wouldn't want him to mentor shit. 

Edited by The Hound Lives
  • Love 14

I don't like Ashley or her clothes, however I think she did have the most original collection tonight even if it was not to most of our taste. And, as a plus size woman myself, I like it that she dares to show bigger women who are not draped in head to toe fabric, or all black stretch knit which is what the usual offering is. I also could see the Mexican and Frida Kahlo influence. What I really couldn't get past was the poor construction and the glued on flowers. A final runway collection should be well made. It doesn't have to be wearable but it needs to be well made.

Here's the thing though, the "plus-size" models on the runway are what, size 14, 12? maybe a 16?  16 is the average woman's size in the US. Lets' see them pick a winner of someone who is actually designing plus size clothes for those that most of us  attribute to real plus size. 18-20 and above. Whole different ballgame. More close to Ashley's size and there is no way Ashley would wear those exposed midriff shirts and shorts. No way. 

• Love 11

Well IIRC Heidi said something Re: Ashley. "I think there is something in her collection we would all wear". Oh really Heidi? I'd like to see you wear the pink romper with the long crotch out in public. Or better yet, wear that tent dress with the glued on flowers and see thru poncho with more glued on flowers to one of your red carpet events. I double dog dare you.

Great minds think alike....I said the same thing!!  :-)

• Love 5

I can't believe Ashley won. I thought it was one horrendous look after another that came down the runway. A couple of her models looked like they had some problems walking. The muse outfit was hideous. I thought the kids previewed for PR Junior had better designs than Ashley.

I think think this may be my last season of PR. Hope the judges don't break their arms patting themselves on the back for appearing fashion forward. Ack! My head hurts and I need an extra strong dose of brain bleach.

• Love 13

The plus size models were horrible walkers. Yikes.

I was impressed at how improved Kelly's collection was from her 3-piece preview but still loathed every bit of that cheap L'eggs Suntan pantyhose fabric. Thought she was the best of a bad lot, though.

Congratulations to Ashley and her "bravery" I guess. So very, very courageous to be fat in fashion.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 16

The winner was decided before the first show aired. The wanted the plus size designer to win, even though she had some awful designs. She been on the bottom numerous times. Her final collection was terrible. I'm a plus size woman and wouldn't be caught dead in her outfits. No way in hell would I wear something that shows my bare stomach and fat rolls. And all that pleating would make me look huge. Why not line the dresses instead of the color coordinated panties? And the judges knitpicking all the other designers, c,Mon!!! I think it was a setup when they were deciding the final 3. Have Edmund take the fall so Ashley could stay in the competition and then Tim saves Edmund.

Kelly's was definitely not my favorite. All that glitter and 70s style, ugh!

Candice had some good pieces,but leather for almost every outfit?

My favorite was Edmund. Classy, often elegant. Some pieces I wasn't thrilled about, but overall I thought his collection was the best. But according to the judges he has a long way to go. Really???

This season was a miss for me. Stop setting up the winner before the show even starts.

• Love 20

Not as bad - it's way worse.  Gretchen's rich diapered boho in Boerum Hill aesthetic eis at least a thing with something like an audience, so I guess that's why Pendleton hired her at some point.  Ashley's audience - her girl - doesn't even exist!  And I LIKE her as a person, I think, and I don't fault her much for not being in control of her tears.  But this, friends?   This was some kinda bullshit.

Exactly! I remember being shocked at Gretchen's win, but at least they were wearable clothes. And Tim Gunn publicly criticizing the win afterwards somehow gave my opinion validation. But here - Ashley's win was not for the clothes, but for the concept. Notice how muted the judge's praise was for the collection. They liked the colors, and it was cohesive. That's it. But it won! Ridiculous.

• Love 7

I got up and walked out of the room the moment Heidi called Kelly "out".  Up until that minute I was actually a little bit enthused about the PR Jr. series (since they aired as much footage of that as tonight's actual program).   No way on earth would I watch that now, after this travesty.  Hey, Show:  Nice way to kill the new kid on the block before it even begins. 

Well, at least we won't have to deal with Heidi and Nina.....just Kelly Osbourne (ugh!!).  I'll be watching, at least the first few episodes, because I'm curious to see what these teen can put out.  

Not as bad - it's way worse. Gretchen's rich diapered boho in Boerum Hill aesthetic eis at least a thing with something like an audience, so I guess that's why Pendleton hired her at some point. Ashley's audience - her girl - doesn't even exist! And I LIKE her as a person, I think, and I don't fault her much for not being in control of her tears. But this, friends? This was some kinda bullshit.

Agree to disagree...

• Love 3

Well IIRC Heidi said something Re: Ashley. "I think there is something in her collection we would all wear". Oh really Heidi? I'd like to see you wear the pink romper with the long crotch out in public. Or better yet, wear that tent dress with the glued on flowers and see thru poncho with more glued on flowers to one of your red carpet events. I double dog dare you.

I triple dog dare her. Heidi would never, ever, ever, ever wear that crap.

• Love 9

I want to vomit.  This IS worse than the Gretchen decision in my opinion.  The judges really sold out. 

i definitely would have given Candice 4th place.  That muse dress was horrible and just too much leather overall--ill fitting-- all done before.  

Kelley was creative-- she had balls and went totally off the usual fashion beat, and so for that I think she should have won.  

I would have given Edmund second.  Fairly expected designs but some show stoppers such as the B&W baby doll. A nice collection but nothing that is going to make you think like Kelley's did.

That shorts outfit of Ashley's was horrifyingly baaaad!  And her muse was laughable. yet no mention about costume-y?? Please.

I actually think I'm gonna like PR Jr.  I hated what I saw of last years with the mom's and kids from grade school 

• Love 8

Watching this, all I could imagine was Stacey and Clinton from What Not to Wear throwing everything into the garbage. They would have had a field day.

Wish we could have their commentary on all of this.....I loved Stacey and Clinton - they were almost always on the money when it came to choosing clothes for women, all shapes and sizes!!  

• Love 11

Ugh.  Maybe it is time for a plus-size line designer to win - just not *this* plus-size line.  The shorts looked like granny panties.  One look resembled a onesie and a bathrobe.  Another looked like a housecoat that a 1970s housewife would watch Merv Griffin in. That said, it is a close call but I still think Gretchen's win was worse. Zac's favorite look - the aquamarine dress - was pretty, whereas NONE of Gretchen's looks were remotely interesting and  her whole collection looked like mid-price catalogue offerings.

I would personally not wear any of Kelly's outfits - except for that great bell-sleeved dress - but that's not because they weren't awesome, it's just not my aesthetic - but I could see someone else rocking the shit out of them, and I just can't see that with Ashley's line.  Kelly should have won.   And I grew to really like her. At first I found her kind of crass and tacky, then I realized she OWNED that tackiness and elevated it to something sublime.  Plus I always found her talking-head sessions funny and self-knowing, and she seemed very kind to the other designers. Even in this episode she was so upbeat while the rest of them were wallowing in self-pity.

And I did not appreciate the excessive filler about Runway Juniors.

Candice's models were seriously emaciated.  I was so distracted by the skeletons walking down the runway I couldn't pay attention to her clothes.

OMG, there was one with a black bustier and red pants (I think) and she was so skinny but her boobs so big (obviously implants, she had 0% body fat) that I gasped.

• Love 18

Candice's was terrible; just eye gouging off puttingly terrible. She should have known after that critique of the mini collections that there was no way in hell she was going to win and she should have stuck to her vision and just gone balls to the wall. Honestly, it couldn't have been any MORE costume-y and I think she would have liked herself better at the end. That said, I did feel bad for how beat down you could tell she felt. I don't think she's used to coming in fourth.

If Edmond had not put the TP dress and the black flamenco gown in his collection, he might have eked out that win. They love his simpler sexy designs. I knew when I saw that white dress and they flashed to Heidi's face that it was all over for Edmond at that point.

Ashley's did not WALK as bad as it looked in still photos. It was cohesive. I really liked the uber long shirty thing; hell I guess it WAS a shirt. Still hated the flower crowns, although I guess they made a statement. Kelly Osborne was on Rachel Zoe after the show talking about how Ashley's was the only collection that had buzz and made people in the audience happy.

I had that exact reaction to Kelly's: it made me smile. I FLOVED the glitter shoes. She did the hair huge and afro-y and the giant hoop earrings were to die for. HATED the bag thingies - I have tried to forget what they are really called; I hated them in the 80s, too - and I H A T E D the one dress that had the "flesh" mesh fabric and some kind of stripey fabric. I didn't think it was so bad on the other two dresses, maybe it matched the models' skin better.

After seeing all the collections, Kelly was my choice, with Ashley second. I'm not unhappy Ashley won, but I really thought Kelly beat her. I felt so bad for Kelly when she fell apart after losing. It was so important to her and I wish and hope much success for her and Edmond, too, of course. We really need a twelve step or a patch or something for this show, though. I wish I could quit it, too, but I'll be back for more, if it comes back.

Oh, and that show was about an hour too long. Why didn't they just do a "Road to the Runway" for the Junior show instead of all those promos in the finale???

• Love 6

I don't like Ashley at all, her atrocious designs being secondary to her repugnant personality.

She was either tipped off by the show or she shrewdly read the writing on the wall, because her talking heads oozed with smugness.   For someone who wore her insecurity on her sleeve all season, she did an abrupt one-eighty.

Personally, I don't think obesity should be celebrated or rewarded.   It's unhealthy and it sets a poor example for children.   Is there anybody who thinks Ashley won't be suffering from weight-related health issues ten years from now?  Diabetes maybe?

I don't think I want to watch Project Runway anymore.   A show like this shouldn't leave the audience feeling angry or resentful.

• Love 22

Looking at the four of them up there at the end, it really seemed to me that they all knew already who was going to win.  I did feel from very early on that Ashley was being set up to win, then partway through I was sure it couldn't be true because she fell off so dramatically.  I am quite certain the Tim Gunn save would have been used for her had she ever been eliminated. 

Thinking back to something Tim said, Kelly's clothes, much more than anyone else's, gave me a feeling of joy.  I could never wear any of them, but I loved looking at them.  It was hard to see her so crushed at first, but if anything is certain, it's that she will do well in the future.  She has much brighter prospects than Ashley, I think. 

I actually liked all four collections, and for once, they really did reflect each designer's vision - no doubt at all whose clothes were whose.  Someone above mentioned that they looked much better on the runway than in the stills we had seen earlier (in the spoiler thread), and I agree completely.

There were times when I was thinking it was a bit of a meh season, but final decision apart, I'll take that over another one like 13 with horrible personalities making for horrible drama. 

And finally, it appears that they may have revamped Threads and made the competition more like the original.  The gimmicks on Threads just drove me nuts, to the point I quit watching.  Hope this new version goes better. 

• Love 4

The hem on Ashley's first outfit was falling down and the flowers were sewn on to the finale dress. I assume that she worked on that skirt for weeks. That's not what I'd call a winning collection. What a joke.

Um, did you mean to say they were glued on?

Edited to add: Whoopsies! You already corrected yourself. Sorry I posted too quickly, before I read through the thread. Sigh, I'm just rather upset about the result.

Edited by NowVoyager

Candice's was terrible; just eye gouging off puttingly terrible. She should have known after that critique of the mini collections that there was no way in hell she was going to win and she should have stuck to her vision and just gone balls to the wall. Honestly, it couldn't have been any MORE costume-y and I think she would have liked herself better at the end. That said, I did feel bad for how beat down you could tell she felt. I don't think she's used to coming in fourth.

I felt bad for Candice too, but she thought she was the cat's meow all season.    If she got her comeuppance, it wasn't undeserved -- even in this episode she condescendingly laughed at Kelly's collection.   Her utterance, "I let them water me down" was the ultimate statement of defeat, because she deprived herself of even the dignity of losing on her own terms.

• Love 14

Ashley's crap was hideous, but no judge dare criticize.  If anyone else had put that junk on a skinny model, they would have been crucified.  "Colors" , my ass.  Skittles would have tossed them as rejects.

I don't even like Nina Garcia, but I think I saw her throw up in her mouth.  But she had to tow the predisposed  line.

This pretty much sums up what I thought as well.  I looked at that glued on flower monstrosity and thought, "And they called Edmond and Candice's stuff costumey?"  How many times have other designers been accused of making matronly looks?  I saw things I liked and didn't like with the other three and would've been okay with any of them winning.  But I didn't see one thing of Ashley's that I could stand to look at.  What an insult to suggest that full-figured girls would want to wear any of that crap.  That was not fashion.  I don't know what it was... church ladies gone wild, maybe.  

• Love 16

Watching this, all I could imagine was Stacey and Clinton from What Not to Wear throwing everything into the garbage. They would have had a field day.

Yes!  I was thinking the same thing.  Most of Ashley's collection looked like an example of what not to wear if plus sized. 

The one set of shorts riding up on the fat thighs made me run for the chafe cream.

Like the crotch was fighting it out with the the legs for possession of the fabric.  When the body fights the design like that it ruins the lines. So what is the point? 

Considering the rest of the season leading up to this I guess it was a fitting finale. 

• Love 6

That was two hours of pure torture. An hour of commercials and promo's. I had a funny feeling right at the beginning that Ashley would win. They wanted a different type of designer to win, this time plus size, that they haven't had before. It was like the season Patricia won. Nothing against Ashley but I don't think her designs are flattering to plus size women. See thru lace, crop tops, shorts, rompers, and her muse piece...I have no words.

All the designers this season were not that bad but not that good either. Not one of them blew me away at all. I was underwhelmed.

Edmond, Candace and Kelly listened to the judges put downs last week , changed their collections to make the judges happy, and look what happened, they lost.

This show has definitely jumped the shark.

I don't remember someone called Patricia winning. I remember Patricia who was on the same season as Michelle and also on All-Star's, but she didn't win either of those seasons.

• Love 2

The biggest travesty of the show IMO was Kelly's own outfit and styling. Good God, she's an attractive woman with a decent figure, what was she thinking with that monstrosity? It made her look positively lumpy.

Nothing to add on the actual runway show.

• Love 9

Personally, I don't think obesity should be celebrated or rewarded.   It's unhealthy and it sets a poor example for children.   Is there anybody who thinks Ashley won't be suffering from weight-related health issues ten years from now?  Diabetes maybe?

Ashley's obese, but her models looked to be about size 14 or 16 - a large demographic in this country, which means she had a great opportunity to show a great collection for so many people with this body type (and she blew it). I agree with you that showcasing obese models on the runway would have been a bad idea, but I would have loved to see some modern and innovative clothes on the models that walked. Instead we got retro matronly Carmen Miranda, which no one will wear.

(And btw, I agree with you that Ashley was extremely smug in her TH interviews. Do they tape those afterwards? Seems she knew she won).

• Love 11

This is yet another example of why PR has long jumped the shark - by rewarding winners whom you never hear from again. 

If the show is to return, they need to do a complete overhaul of the judges.

Edited by escape
  • Love 6

So Kelly Osbourne said Ashley's collection had buzz and gave people joy? I am not buying it. These are New Yorkers who mostly know their fashion. I doubt many looked at that collection and thought how good it was. It sounds like she is making excuses.

I guess I am just extremely ticked off that the powers that be thinks their audience is so stupid we wouldn't realize the fix was in. I am not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but I will buy into this one.

• Love 20

I guess I am just extremely ticked off that the powers that be thinks their audience is so stupid we wouldn't realize the fix was in. I am not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but I will buy into this one.

Me too. I just remembered when Heidi told Ashley she made it to the finale, she told her they would like her to use plus-sized models for the runway. We all should have known right then that that was a clue to the predetermined winner. If they didn't pick Ashley as the winner in casting, they at least did by that point.

• Love 12

Just for fun, I went back and looked at Lee Ann's collection...her wave theme...then Christian's and Laura Bennett's finale. I tried to imagine Ashley's efforts compared to theirs...epic fail.

The poster who called it the Mamie Eisenhower collection nailed it...but even Mamie would not be caught dead in that see-thru poncho and that massive skirt with glued on flowers...give Mrs. E more credit than that. What woman, of whatever size, would want to be seen in that? 

Clarkson as a judge was embarrassing...she looked befuddled. Producers gave her a chance to hawk her own collection, while she had zero of interest to say about the clothes.

Nina with a flower basket on her head, Zac wearing the shorts with the floating crotch, Heidi in the lace and granny panties concoction...now that's a runway show I would like to see. Come on judges, let's be inclusive. 

• Love 8

I don't remember someone called Patricia winning. I remember Patricia who was on the same season as Michelle and also on All-Star's, but she didn't win either of those seasons.

The lady who won, I don't remember what season, she was a Native American woman who designed kind of Aztec/western arts and crafts style. I thought her name was Patricia and she won. If I'm wrong I apologize and I guess my memory is going.

• Love 1

I had a funny feeling right at the beginning that Ashley would win. They wanted a different type of designer to win, this time plus size, that they haven't had before. It was like the season Patricia won.

My mind went straight to the Patricia season too.   She didn't win, but she came uncomfortably close.   Who will be the preordained  winner next season?   A transgender designer maybe, because that's topical now?   I can already see Caitlyn Jenner as a guest judge.

• Love 7

My mind went straight to the Patricia season too.   She didn't win, but she came uncomfortably close.   Who will be the preordained  winner next season?   A transgender designer maybe, because that's topical now?   I can already see Caitlyn Jenner as a guest judge.

My bad, Patricia did not win but I remember Heidi championing her like she did Ashley. I would not be surprised if next season they do have a transgender designer on.

Actually, a lot of those flowers were hot-glued to the bottom of that dress AT the runway show, behind the curtain.  They showed a clip of Ashley doing that (I think while the model was in the dress), and Zac asked if the flowers were sewn on or glued, and she replied "glued".

You're right. One of the stage managers/producers/whatever came over and told Ashley she needed to get her models dressed, since they only had 30 minutes before showtime.

• Love 2

Ugh...why did I even bother with this season?! I mean I pretty much knew from the first episode that Ashley was going to win. I just hoped to hell I was wrong. Though once I heard like multiple people talking about Ashley as their winner on account of her being plus-sized and designing for plus-sized women while glossing over the other designers, I knew right away.

I'm all for nice clothing for plus-sized women and I like that it's a different voice...but it's not a very good voice. The designs were cookie-cutter and lame. and it just wasn't....good

I feel like Kelly was an accident to them. I think they initially put her on the show thinking that she'd be mid-level fodder (which, admittedly, I did think that about her) but then she just started kicking ass and doing better and better and better. And her designs had a voice and a vision. It may not be everybody's thing, but it's definitely a worthwhile voice, unlike Ashley. She probably took the place of Swapnil in their preordained final four. 

Anyways I thought each of them kind of sucked, to be honest. Kelly's was the best but even she had a couple of clunkers. Edmond had some gorgeous gowns but not much else. Candice compromised her vision too much, which kind of sucks. I mean I didn't see her stuff being that great pre-editing, but they at were interesting.

I hate to be one of those folks who cries out conspiracy, but man this season felt more manufactured with the exception of Kelly's rise. I think that was a legitimate surprise.

• Love 18

I was surprised but I actually liked Ashley's collection. I wouldn't wear most of it, but I did love the dark teal dress (I might even consider trying it on, though I can't say it would look good on me and my personal shape), and overall I thought it was a cohesive collection. I also celebrate that this might help to crack the door open just a little bit farther, in getting the fashion industry to take larger sized women more seriously as consumers - we do want to wear pretty clothes and we do have money to spend. I think it's still going to take a long time, and I don't know that Ashley is the designer to get the industry there, but anything that's a step in that direction is fine with me.

However... I don't think she should have won. It was a "nice" collection, but not a great collection. And I was disappointed and frustrated with her seeming lack of attention to details. How on earth do you go to fashion week and NOT think about the details of every single garment?? I know the fitting part is challenging until you can actually put the stuff on your models, but to not hand-sew those flowers, to not think of the zippers and the all the little things that need to be considered and taken care of before you come back to NYC... that just isn't professional. 

• Love 7

I'm sure that you all noticed that NOT A SINGLE JUDGE said they'd wear an item from Ashley's collection. 

Untrue.  Carrie said she would wear the plum-colored outfit "right now". 

I thought they all sucked, for the most part. I didn't like a single thing of Ashley's or Kelly's.  Candice had a few with some potential.  I particularly liked her toned-down ballgown.  I wish she'd done a few more well-tailored, classy pieces like that, and less slutty-looking leather stuff.  I wish Edmund had shown more than just dresses.  His collection would have benefited from some separates.   So much time spent on PR, Jr.  I feel like I've already seen half the season.

Edited by Overwhelming No
  • Love 2

I thought the final two should have been Edmond and Kelly, and honestly, I would have given it to Edmond.

As much as I grew to like Kelly and be impressed with her growth on the show, I don't think her collection should have won. It was nice, I'm glad she didn't compromise her own zany style, and everything was tied together nicely, but I was a little bored by it. I thought it was too much of the same stuff coming down the runway. I mean, visually it's not boring, because she's got all the glitter and sequins or whatever, but the styles of the outfits didn't really wow me. I wished for more variety, I wished for something to really "pop" as a stand-out piece, but they felt all the same level. 

Meanwhile, I felt that - love it or hate it with those ruffles at the end - Edmond's collection had a strong point of view that started with a smooth, sexy yet generally simple-sophisticated dress, and the rest of the collection just built and built from there. Each piece took another step into a bigger look. I felt like it had growth from one piece to the next, and by the end the final two gowns made sense. I thought he did a terrific job, and he had my vote to win.

That said, I would have been very happy for Kelly as well, if she had won. For a second there, I thought it was going to go to her, especially with the way the camera kept going to Nina, who was nodding like it was Kelly. So they faked me out on that.

But overall I did think it should have gone to Edmond. He had the genuine "try hard and keep trying, no matter what" champion sort of story and he did lovely work and had a wonderful and professional attitude, no matter what. I was very sorry that he lost. Even Heidi seemed to take her time saying goodbye to him. I hope the judges give him and Kelly some opportunities in the future.

(And I do hope that Nina works with Ashley and teaches her some things, and helps her grow as a designer - I think Nina can see that the industry is changing and needs to change, and perhaps this is her way of getting in front of that for Marie Claire and future fashion prospects. And I think it "looks good" for them to say they were the "frontrunners" of change in fashion to be more inclusive. Whether or not they really care about that deep down is beside the point to them if it means big dollars for them in the future.)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 5

If Edmond had not put the TP dress and the black flamenco gown in his collection, he might have eked out that win.

Yet again, Tim to the rescue!  He urged Edmund to leave it in, reminding him of last year's winner who kept all his fringe and still won. But really, the judges told Edmund to ditch it and after all, those are the same judges that decide the winner, so please them even when they're completely wrong.  What happened to the days of the flamboyant runway - about it being a show - not a bunch of ready to wear?  Designers in early seasons knew how to put on a show.  I thought Edmond's frilly looks were pure runway drama, instead of off the rack.

I yelled when Ashley won.  She has a "gift???"   Really?  A gift to make large girls look larger!  And what was that cohesive remark?  Ashley's collection was the most hodgepodge in my opinion.  There were several colors and some lace and some crop tops.  That doesn't make cohesion.  I watched with my mom and we hated every single thing she sent down the runway.  The models looked totally uncomfortable (didn't Heidi or someone say the models looked happy?  Were they looking at the same models I was that could barely walk in a tight skirt or ugly shorts?)  And don't get me started on grandma's elbow underwear (which goes up to their elbows) under lace.  OMG. 

I was over Ashley and her box pleats after the second episode.  She has no idea how to make a plus size person look slimmer.  Isn't that the desire of most people - to look slimmer?  Look at her own styling.  Those lacy skirts with all the pleats/gathers just make her look bigger.  

So, I guess it is one standard for regular designers - nothing costumey, nothing matronly and nothing that makes the model look bigger.  Plus size designers, please feel free to create matronly costumes that make your models look bigger and ridiculous.

Ashley, don't let it go to your head.  You'll never be successful making utter crap like that.

Gee, can you tell how I really feel?

• Love 16

The models looked totally uncomfortable (didn't Heidi or someone say the models looked happy?  Were they looking at the same models I was that could barely walk in a tight skirt or ugly shorts?)

Actually, one thing I really loved was that Ashley's final model was smiling like crazy. And when they did the final walk-around, she looked to Ashley and Ashley was grinning back to her, which I thought was terrific. So often it seems like the models don't smile at all and that just makes me eye-roll. I know they're supposed to be all coooool and attitude-y, but I like when we get to see something genuine happening. And that moment was really nice to watch because Ashley's model just beamed at her and she smiled back and I thought, yeah, thank your model for working it. I hate when they don't pay attention to their own models or treat them like clothes hangers instead of people. 

The ones I thought looked the most uncomfortable were Candice's models. Some of them could barely walk in her super-form-fitting gowns. And don't even get me started about Candice picking up her kids at the end and having them walk the runway with her. As cute as they are, I feel like it's just one more calculated thing she tried to do in a quest for a "story" to present as part of her win. I didn't feel much genuineness coming from Candice. Snippets here and there, but overall... no. I know she feels like the collection she created is "her," but I don't buy it. I feel like she tried too hard to "present" herself and play a game instead of truly being herself. The unfortunate part is that the judges treated her like everything she did was magnificent until the very end and then shredded her. They should have been telling her all along that her stuff was derivative at best. 

• Love 7

Very disappointed in the outcome. Kelly's collection was one of the strongest PR collections I've seen in quite some time. It was effortlessly cohesive, entertaining, and of a thoroughly distinct point of view. Her models were thoughtfully chosen and the styling was perfect. Whether you like her aesthetic or not, there is absolutely a customer for what she creates. I so hope she can find an investor and get her business off the ground.

That being said, I didn't doubt for one second that Ashley would win. The show is going to get a lot of press out of this, and she's appealing to Lifetime's target demographic. In the producers and judges' minds, it probably wouldn't look right to bring a full figured designer to the finale and have her lose to a straight-size designer.

The judges' insistence that Ashley was "brave" for designing for full figured women was so insulting. I won't be able to take PR remotely seriously going forward.  

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 7