Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

I really liked the "Black Nanny" character and am glad she's going to be around for a while!

Me too, but I was wondering where the writers were going when Vivian was comparing her life to the Johnson's.  I have a cousin who does that, and the conversation usually ends with a request for a loan. 

• Love 22

I liked her character and the way she interacted with the others....brought out a lot of issues that they can address from a different point of view.  I too thought she was going to hit up Dre for a loan or a raise since she only seemed to mention the money stuff to him, but apparently she is just an oversharer, which I understand as one myself. 

Favorite non-Diane scene was the nail salon.....bwahahaha.

• Love 4

I know it was a laugh-line but I didn't think it was terribly funny when Dre was explaining to her that she'd never be successful like him or maybe I took it wrong. Otherwise I laughed at the whole thing. The scenes at work were the funniest.

• Love 3

I know it was a laugh-line but I didn't think it was terribly funny when Dre was explaining to her that she'd never be successful like him or maybe I took it wrong. Otherwise I laughed at the whole thing. The scenes at work were the funniest.

I don't think Dre was being arrogant or elitist--just realistic. Black Nanny didn't even have a GED, and most people who fail to finish high school don't do well economically. (Some notable exceptions: Chris Rock, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Mark Walberg, Walt Disney, Hilary Swank, and comedian Tig Notaro--but they're definitely the exception). 

I really hope Regina Hall will be around for more episodes. She's a great comedic actress, and she has great chemistry with everyone in the family. I'd like to see her interact with Ruby, Pops, and the neighbor Jeanine.  I loved her "Diane" at the end of the episode. It made me miss Charlie, but I'm glad Diane will have another foe. 

Me too, but I was wondering where the writers were going when Vivian was comparing her life to the Johnson's.  I have a cousin who does that, and the conversation usually ends with a request for a loan.

I thought the same thing. I have wayyy too many relatives who do this. And I don't have any money! But my family is somehow convinced that I do. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3

Regina Hall, as always, was phenomenal. I hope she becomes a regular cast member.

Daphne keeping one of her nannies because she was her Spades partner was Peak Blackness.

Jack beating Junior out for Vivian's affection was awesome. I love when Jack uses his cuteness to his advantage.

I lost it at Diane's initial campaign video and her gleeful anticipation of a knife fight. That's why you're in court mandated therapy now, girl!

I'm glad Rainbow & Vivian became fast friends. Rainbow has been in dire need of a good girlfriend for ages.

• Love 9

Do they need a nanny or a housekeeper? The older 2 should be doing more stuff for themselves.

Not really, but I think it fits Dre and Bow's parenting philosophy.  They're like a lot of successful parents who want "better" lives for their kids.  So they spoil them. 

• Love 3

"Oye Como Va...something something" that is totally my understanding of the lyrics of that song...

Also loved the Dre's voice coming out of Bow's mouth and the same gag later with Bow's voice coming out of Dre's mouth.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 14

Not really, but I think it fits Dre and Bow's parenting philosophy.  They're like a lot of successful parents who want "better" lives for their kids.  So they spoil them. 

They want better for their kids by doing everything for them. There is no doubt in my mind that Jr could iron his own clothes better than a dry cleaner. I'm not saying they all need to get jobs but this is getting ridiculous. 

• Love 5

Me too, but I was wondering where the writers were going when Vivian was comparing her life to the Johnson's. I have a cousin who does that, and the conversation usually ends with a request for a loan.

I liked her character and the way she interacted with the others....brought out a lot of issues that they can address from a different point of view. I too thought she was going to hit up Dre for a loan or a raise since she only seemed to mention the money stuff to him, but apparently she is just an oversharer, which I understand as one myself.

Yes to all of this. I thought for sure she was going to ask for a raise or a loan or something. At my last job they hired a receptionist who was a Hispanic woman in her early 20s. She and I were the only people of color in the company, so we became pretty fast friends. She didn't braid my hair while I was naked in my damn tub, but we hung out once a week outside of work.

She started to make comments about my Amazon packages that came to the office, my new car, my having a nice house, all that stuff, and comparing my situation to hers. I finally had to tell her that I live the way I do because of education and experience. I also shared with her that in my 20s I struggled too. I don't know why but a lot of young people I meet don't understand the concept of working your way up. Anyway, as usual this episode spoke to me.

I don't think Dre was being arrogant or elitist--just realistic. Black Nanny didn't even have a GED, and most people who fail to finish high school don't do well economically. (Some notable exceptions: Chris Rock, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Mark Walberg, Walt Disney, Hilary Swank, and comedian Tig Notaro--but they're definitely the exception).

It did sound harsh at first, but he's right. You can be successful without finishing school, but it's even more work. I like that he was real with her about it. Edited by teebax
  • Love 9

I liked how Vivian caught and prevented Zoey and Diane from doing the smear campaign.  Dre and Bow were actually in the NEXT ROOM worrying about their own stuffs and completely ignored the kids.  Their parenting skills allowed the kids to get away with too many questionable things.  This was consistent with the rest of the series but also very sad.

• Love 9

I have never used one nor do I know anyone who has - Do Neti Pots really work like that?  Turn you head to the side, put the spout up to one nostril and the water flows out the other one.  Seems like his head was titled far enough for the water to get to a place where it could cross to the other nostril.  

Edited to correct - I meant to say that that his head did not seem tilted enough for the water to get to a place where it could cross to the other nostril.  (not is an important word - his head wasn't titled, it was tilted, - and I really should proofread better).

I thought the same thing. I have wayyy too many relatives who do this. And I don't have any money! But my family is somehow convinced that I do. 

For relatives that are willing to ask/beg others for money, you don't need to have money, you just need to have more money than they do...or less debt than they do...or more expensive stuff than they do.  All they need is a hint that you are better off than them.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 3

I have never used one nor do I know anyone who has - Do Neti Pots really work like that?  Turn you head to the side, put the spout up to one nostril and the water flows out the other one.  Seems like his head was titled far enough for the water to get to a place where it could cross to the other nostril. 

Yup. It's a disgusting miracle worker.

• Love 10

I haven't used one, but I thought that shot was digitally enhanced at least. The steady stream coming out of his nose looked too strong. Am I wrong?

"Oye Como Va...something something" that is totally my understanding of the lyrics of that song...

Don't forget, "Enchilada."

Loved Jr using a deep voice to talk to Vivian. And then in the tag he's reclining on the bed while Diane talks, and he scootches up on the bed so Vivian can still see him.

I wasn't aware of Regina Hall before. She was so good.

• Love 7
Loved Jr using a deep voice to talk to Vivian. And then in the tag he's reclining on the bed while Diane talks, and he scootches up on the bed so Vivian can still see him.

Yeah, his sliding into the shot was awesome. And "How about those munchkins?". Dude, that was your older sister.

There was a discussion a few weeks back on the Modern Family boards about why the kids couldn't do most of these things for themselves. I think it's standard sitcom territory that older kids are older when they need to be, but still helpless palooks that give their parents a sense of purpose as being parents ("The hardest job in the world") at other times.

Still Regina Hall brought it, and I was glad with how it played out, with an adult discussion between Vivian and Dre and Bow, who were both funny and not too over the top (Bow's bath scene aside).

Regina Hall will forever be known to me for her Scary Movie roles, which I believe usually had her being killed, only to magically appear again in the next film.

• Love 1

Regina Hall is a fricking national treasure!  She's in a cute indie move called People, Places, Things (On Netflix maybe or Amazon prime?) anyway she plays Jessica Williams' mother in that one.  Crazy!

I also wanted to add how much I enjoyed that last conversation between Vivian, Dre and Bow.  it was nice to have them talk real talk.  I liked Dre's frankness in explaining how he wants to feel comfortable in his own house but I also liked Vivian coming back with the "in the spirit of professionalism" she needed him to stop calling her Black Nanny.  It was great scene by all of them.

Have to admit I am not hating Wanda Sykes like I thought I would.  I am actually enjoying how in her own way she is just as totally inappropriate as Stevens is.  Their bonding about the trustworthiness of Trinidadians vs. Tobagoan nannies was funny. So she fits right in.

• Love 6

Was the nanny that same teen chick on Cosby who talked really fast?

No but she was in Grandfathered, which is where I recognized her from and Last Holiday, a Queen Latifah move I adore. Janet, which is the friend I think you're thinking of, was played by Pam Potillo. 

• Love 3

Was the nanny that same teen chick on Cosby who talked really fast?

No.

No but she was in Grandfathered, which is where I recognized her from and Last Holiday, a Queen Latifah move I adore. Janet, which is the friend I think you're thinking of, was played by Pam Potillo. 

No, Janet wasn't the one who talked as if she was on speed. That was Kara. And she was played by Elisabeth Narvaez.

• Love 3

I liked that Zoey tapped into her inner Mean Girl to help Diane win the election.

Much is made about Diane's attitude, but I love that the show doesn't forget that both her mother and sister also have considerable cruel streaks themselves.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

Also loved the Dre's voice coming out of Bow's mouth and the same gag later with Bow's voice coming out of Dre's mouth.

OT: A few years ago, dh &  I saw Santana & Rod Stewart in Denver. It was effin amazing when Santana when played  Oye Como Va

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 1

peeayebee, I thought the stream of water from the neti pot scene looked realistic. It's kind of a shocking process to get used to, but it does wash pollen and whatever else out of your face. I only ever do it when I'm really desperate, though, because it feels really weird to me. Improved breathing is worth it sometimes, though.

I just looked up the lyrics and an English translation for "Oye Como Va":

http://www.metrolyrics.com/oye-como-va-lyrics-santana.html

http://lyricstranslate.com/en/oye-como-va-listen-how-it-goes.html

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4
What bothers me most is that neither Dre nor Bow seem to have any insight into themselves or their children. The first scene bothered me--when they're cheering hysterically at a game for only their child. When I attend games in recreational leagues (Jack's first team), parents of kids that young cheer for all players on the team. They even cheer for players on the opposing team when they make a great shot (catch, goal, etc). I would think one of the other parents (or coaches or refs) would encourage them to tone it down. Parents just aren't supposed to do that.

I agree. it was a poor depiction of how youth sports is run.   Dre and Bo came across as those horrible parents that you never want to see at games.  And parents usually bring snacks FOR THE TEAM, not to hand out to the crowd in the bleachers.  if one parent is the "snack mom", that means she is in charge of scheduling the other parents' turns at bringing snacks, not bringing them herself each week.

AND - not to be a stickler, but yes, older kids referee,  but they are never allowed to referee their siblings' games.  

I actually enjoyed the episode, but their depiction was a little off .  Most episodes, Dre and Bo come across as well-meaning but clueless.  THis episode made them look like assholes.

So why are they content to watch Jack fail and school and become part of the school-to-prison pipeline for black children?

Is that really the path we see happening for Jack? They may make a lot of jokes about his not being college material but in general he's in a good school, he's well-liked and kind-hearted, lives in a safe neighborhood where he's protected (and in some ways even spoiled) and has parents who have the money to help him. If anything, it was the kid from Compton they presented as the one in dire straights - he talked about how he needs to do well in basketball in order to do well in life and in order to help his family, and that he's good at basketball partly because he's literally hungry. 

If anything, I see Jack as becoming one of those people who has great curiosity and interest in a lot of subjects and ultimately finds a personal and professional niche that satisfies the soul, even if it doesn't make him a ton of money. (Or, I could see him ending up an entrepreneur who comes up with something unusual that no one ever thought about creating before. Sheer luck, talent and creativity that lead him to success.) 

• Love 3

They want better for their kids by doing everything for them. There is no doubt in my mind that Jr could iron his own clothes better than a dry cleaner. I'm not saying they all need to get jobs but this is getting ridiculous. 

I think they need a nanny more so to look after Jack and Diane who are in like 6th grade and to make dinner and help with the housework. The older two should be able to focus on their own homework and after school activities, not babysitting and helping to get dinner ready in the evenings. It's different in families of different socioeconomic statuses and I totally get that in some households there's no choice but for the older children to step in. And if I were Bow, I would want to be able to have a cocktail and enjoy dinner with my husband and kids after working hard all day as a doctor. I know lots of people don't have that opportunity, but those who can do. Maybe Black Nanny will work on her GED while the children are at school. Can't wait to see what Dre's parents have to say when they get a load of her!

• Love 2

I don't know why but a lot of young people I meet don't understand the concept of working your way up.

This is the generation who got trophies for just showing up, with helicopter parents making sure their special little snowflakes never know hardship.

The last exchange between Vivian and Diane pushed the girl twin from precocious kid to budding sociopath. The only question is does she knife her family to death before she turns double digits? She was already eager for a knife fight with her classmate -- and they didn't play it for laughs.

The show continues on its quest to make the Johnsons horrible people.

When Dre calls out Bow about sticking her "yellow ass" where it doesn't belong and means it in a pejorative manner, what does that say about him using racial slurs?

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

It's interesting there are references to the Johnson's ill-advised spending habits but no mention of financial planning.

I think they hinted at that a little bit when Bow asked Dre if he was still spending that much on sneakers. Because there was an episode a while back that covered how much money they spend kind of unnecessarily and I was just as surprised as Bow that Dre is still spending like that conversation never happened.

Love seeing Regina Hall again, loved her in the Best Man movies and the Think Like a Man movies and I think she did a brief stint on Ally McBeal way back in the day, so the girl is also well preserved.

• Love 1

I liked it. I laughed.

And no lie, when Bow and Dre were speaking--the scenes where Dre's voice was coming out of Bow's mouth and Bow's voice out of Dre's? Totally took me back to the All State care insurance commercials when the 'actors' start talking and you hear Dennis Haysbert's voice coming out of their mouths!

• Love 1

I liked it. I laughed.

And no lie, when Bow and Dre were speaking--the scenes where Dre's voice was coming out of Bow's mouth and Bow's voice out of Dre's? Totally took me back to the All State care insurance commercials when the 'actors' start talking and you hear Dennis Haysbert's voice coming out of their mouths!

Or Drunk History.  Tracee Ellis Ross would totally kill in an episode of Drunk History!  She's so expressive.

• Love 7

Is that really the path we see happening for Jack? They may make a lot of jokes about his not being college material but in general he's in a good school, he's well-liked and kind-hearted, lives in a safe neighborhood where he's protected (and in some ways even spoiled) and has parents who have the money to help him. If anything, it was the kid from Compton they presented as the one in dire straights - he talked about how he needs to do well in basketball in order to do well in life and in order to help his family, and that he's good at basketball partly because he's literally hungry. 

And even with all that, he's still two grade levels behind and no one has noticed. And then the question is, why is he so far behind? If that kid from Compton was two grade levels behind, it would be sad but it would make sense. He's doesn't get enough to eat so he has a hard time concentrating in school. He's stressed because he knows his family might be evicted (or because they've already been evicted and they're living in a car) so he has a hard time concentrating in school. He believes that he has to become a basketball star to save his family so he uses all of his free time to practice instead of studying. And so on. But Jack has none of those problems. He has a safe home with plenty of food and no extreme outside pressures or stresses. He should be excelling at school (or at least staying on grade level), but he's not. He's two grade levels behind all of his classmates.

I'm not sure about California, but in Washington, state testing begins in the 4th grade. So in 3rd grade, the schools start doing "interventions" for kids who are not at the correct reading level. If Jack's school runs the same way, this is how it will go: The "reading coach" will pull Jack out of class for extra help, but they'll do it during the art/music/computer/science time because those subjects aren't tested by the state and so Jack can get double the reading time. So Jack misses out on all the fun subjects he likes but gets twice the amount of the subject he doesn't like which makes him start to dislike school. And at the same time, Jack still doesn't understand any of the class level reading so during that time, he (1) gets more and more frustrated because he doesn't understand the material all of his classmates can do and (2) he starts acting out because he's frustrated and bored (since he doesn't understand what they're reading). The teacher starts sending Jack to the principal's office during reading because his behavior is distracting the other students, which means he misses out on instruction and falls further behind. The more he acts out, the more he gets punished. The number one punishment for elementary kids is to "miss recess." So now, Jack doesn't even get to play with his friends. He's stuck inside watching his friends play through the window while he has to "think about why he's in detention." Then, because kids can be jerks, his classmates start commenting on the fact that he can't read and gets pulled out of class for tutoring. This upsets Jack so he acts out more which causes the other kids to start to dislike him which means they can now be meaner because he's not their friend anymore. Then they start calling him names like stupid and r*****. Now Jack really hates school. He acts more in class so no one will notice he doesn't understand what they're doing. He hits a kid who calls him a name. Now he gets suspended* (and misses more school, which puts him even further behind). Once a kid has been suspended, the teachers will start to see him as a "troublemaker" and be stricter with him. This means more punishments and harsher punishments. And so on and so on. 

*Or because it's a private school, they'll kick him out. The other parents pay a ton of money so that their kids don't have to deal with problem students.

• Love 1

And even with all that, he's still two grade levels behind and no one has noticed. And then the question is, why is he so far behind?

Because it's a sitcom and they're making him the butt of stupid jokes just like they do with how Dre treats Junior?   ;)

• Love 4

Because it's a sitcom and they're making him the butt of stupid jokes just like they do with how Dre treats Junior?   ;)

I know. I know. Believe me, there is a voice in the back of my head that keeps trying to shush me because it's just a show and supposed to be funny and the writers haven't been to elementary school in 30 years and don't know what is normal. I will try to listen more to that voice. :)

• Love 1

*GRIN* I was going to come back and add that everything you said made absolute sense. It's just that (very unfortunately, as you know) a lot of that sense goes out the window when it comes to a sitcom. Real world issues and solutions take a backseat to serving the jokes. Sometimes it's easy to "just go with it," other times not so much! So I do understand why you're struggling. (You should have heard my rants about Bones, circa season 4. EPIC frustration. LOL.)

• Love 1

I absolutely love Regina Hall, so I hope Black Nanny stays. If I were to go see Barbershop (which will probably never happen), it would only be for her. And she looks so much younger than 45.

I have to admit I've never even heard of Regina Hall and only recognize her as the recent love interest on Grandfathered. Maybe that's why she didn't blow me away? Liked the episode for the most part, but I didn't really think bully Zoe rang true. Count me in as one who loves Dre and his over the top personality.

I believe Tracee is 43; she looks 43, and since 43 isn't exactly 100, that's not a knock -- she's a beautiful woman. Regina, on the other hand, I would have put at 30, 32 tops, and wouldn't have raised an eyebrow had someone said she was 25. She looks amazing.

• Love 9

I have to admit I've never even heard of Regina Hall and only recognize her as the recent love interest on Grandfathered. Maybe that's why she didn't blow me away?

She's been racking up the credits this season.  She was meh to me on Grandfathered, but I liked her more here.  But girl is 45?!  Damn.  

Junior trying to impress Vivian was hilarious.

• Love 1

I thought Black Nanny was pointing out the economic disparity, how she had to take 2 buses to the Johnsons' house, etc. in hopes of being asked/invited to live in. That could be a win-win because then Bow would have in-house hair braiding and could also tell Dre it was time for Ruby to move out and go live with her boy toy. 

• Love 1

Oye Como Va.... I'm still laughing. I used to throw "burrito" in there but "enchiladas" was comedy gold.

Loved Vivian getting mad at the girls for being bullies. I really hate parents not stepping in with these situations so it was nice she was. Junior trying to impress her was hilarious, and Diane is still a nut job.

How can one spend 1500 on sneakers? And with the line on how much Bow spends on hair products, it was a nice ode to the financial planning episode. I guess they are still being dumb with their money. I'm sure they have someone who cleans the house, and surprised they didn't need nannies before when the kids were younger.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I'm sure they have someone who cleans the house, and surprised they didn't need nannies before when the kids were younger.

I think it was implied that Ruby helped out. She made a lot of food for the kids because she hates Bow's food. When she was around, she probably picked up the kids from school too. Now that she has a boyfriend, she is not around as much. Bow and Dre also hired a few babysitters, but no one consistent.