Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

The highlight of the show was the return of Charlie and Wanda Sykes unseen exit. She just wasn't a good fit for this show to me. The low point was Ruby. Her encouraging her grandkids to steal was low. The kids are very well off and spoiled anyway and for them to steal is worse than if they were brought up in poorer surroundings and stealing. In that case, while it's wrong to steal, you can understand it, whereas the Johnson children came off as entitled, selfish kids who wouldn't sit right for a week if they grew up with my parents. For Zoe, it was a real setback as she was really maturing this season.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I did love the fingers crossing scene, because I can't lie, I've mumbled out the "please don't be black" prayer once or twice while watching the news.

I'm white, and I usually say, "Please be white." In other words, Please don't be black or Muslim.

I liked the ep basically, but I was so pissed at Ruby for stealing the gift cards AND getting her grandkids to do the same. Other than that, I liked it.

And, yes, Charlie at the end was a surprise bonus. I had recorded the marathon of Angie Tribeca when it first aired, but the times were off, so I didn't get all the eps. I set my DVR to record re-airings, and that some time worked. In short, TBS handled the show terribly, and I really thought it had been cancelled.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

Loved seeing Charlie come back at the end. Never go away again Charlie. Now to bring back the Charlie/Diane feud. What ever happened to Black Nanny though?

I thought this was a pretty good episode. Dre did not bother me and Bow was actually good at her auction despite being sabotaged. Dre's speech at the end really hit me strongly. There is that pressure to be better and the Cosby Show was a huge part of my life growing up.

My family also gets happy when we realize it wasn't someone black who did something awful. The crossed fingers thing was funny as hell.

Ruby continues to be the worst but at least Pops was back.

I consign your entire post. We loved The Cosby Show even though it was far from our own reality. We were just happy to see another successful black couple on tv since The Jeffersons had been gone for a while.

16 minutes ago, papillon rouge said:

I can totally relate but mine is "please don't be Hispanic!" So that got a big laugh from me. 

I'll go one further. Whenever a black person is on a game show I hope to God they don't look stupid or do anything embarrassing. They don't have to win, but they need to make a good showing!

• Love 7

Not even Jenifer Lewis could make Ruby's behavior in this episode work.  It smacked of the writers needing to move the plot along and using Ruby because the character has previously done outrageous things.  

But there's a huge red line between her plotting to get Zoe's car and outright encouraging her grandkids to steal.  

• Love 8

I'm a data nerd, so I was curious about the $1 billion in unused gift cards line. I found an article that said almost $1 billion in unused gift cards for 2016, but it's out of around $130 billion. This just makes me angrier about Ruby's behavior. I honestly thought Dre and Bow were going to outbid everybody at the end to hide the crime. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

15 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

As for the Cosby stuff, I get it and it is still hurtful, but I like how it was addressed because no one is really dealing with the issue of how Cosby wouldn't be such a big deal if this country wasn't so racist. 

Really?  You think the only reason it's a big deal that one of the most beloved and famous TV fathers of all time, not to mention iconic comedian and successful actor in general,  is accused of being a prolific rapist is because this country is racist?  So, if it was Dan Connor or Stephen Keaton or some other TV father from that time, it would be no big deal?   Wow, I really can't wrap my head around that.

Junior continues to make the show for me and I am glad to see Charlie back, although I do think his character is best in small doses.  And I agree with those who were impressed with Anthony Anderson's acting chops in the scene with his displeasure with the kids behavior, but I guess that should be no surprise after seeing his stint on The Shield.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Not a super laugh out loud funny episode -- although Junior's Dothraki line and Dre trying to pronounce "rural" did make me laugh -- but I still liked it because it used a very light, deft touch with the theme it presented.  Namely: how much pressure there is on black folk who do well to represent for all the rest of the black folk.  One the one hand "we are not a monolith" but on the other we are crucially aware when one does well it feels like one more tiny rung climb up a really long ladder on behalf of everybody, but when one falters, it feels like a slip right back down to the beginning. 

I remember Chris Rock's Chart of Black Progress on his tv show depicting exactly what you are saying. It was funny, sad and true all at the same time. 

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

Not even Jenifer Lewis could make Ruby's behavior in this episode work.  It smacked of the writers needing to move the plot along and using Ruby because the character has previously done outrageous things.  

But there's a huge red line between her plotting to get Zoe's car and outright encouraging her grandkids to steal.  

It did seem out of character for Ruby.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, teebax said:

I'll go one further. Whenever a black person is on a game show I hope to God they don't look stupid or do anything embarrassing. They don't have to win, but they need to make a good showing!

Whenever Black person on a game show, *you* hope to GOD they don't look stupid or do anything embarrassing ?

WHAT ?!   Do something embarrassing like what ?  Look stupid? how ?

Edited by stillhere1900

I see why there are no replies.  This episode was plain stupid.  

Ooops.   Wrong episode.  Sorry.  

I'm with you. The only good things about it were Junior's Dothraki (I love that kid) and the return of Charlie.

Everything else was either aggressively stupid or just kinda meh. The whole stealing o' gift cards was really bizarre to me. Could I see Diane doing it? Absolutely. But for all of the kids to get involved, and for the parents to not think it was that big of a deal beyond it affecting perceptions of their family, just felt really off with the rest of the series to date.

• Love 3

I both loved and hated this episode. It probably would have been fine with just Dre's possible layoff and some other B plot. The gift card stealing was over the top. Or, maybe just a couple and it was only Ruby and Diane. I can't see Jack and Junior doing it, not really Zoe either. Junior especially, he's too much of a rule-follower. I really felt like Ruby needed more of a smackdown on that. She stole and embarrassed Bow in front of the school. As a mom of school-aged children, I completely understood her wanting to have the auction come off exactly right.

3 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

Whenever Black person on a game show, *you* hope to GOD they don't look stupid or do anything embarrassing ?

I'm not black, but I always hope the female contestant on Jeopardy doesn't act stupid or be embarrassing. Like, give really dumb answers, freeze, talk in a weird voice, that kind of thing.

• Love 2

Ugh, the gift card stuff just soured me on the whole episode, even Charlie  The fact that they were stealing (under Ruby's encouragement) was bad enough, but way to throw your own mother under the bus, you brats!  Seriously, Bow was clearly concerned about doing a good job and the kids knew that, and they went ahead and sabotaged her anyway.  Imagine if word got around that the silent auction was full of empty gift card envelopes and how that would reflect on Bow (and the dumb kids themselves by association).  I really wanted more of a punishment from Dre and big old guilt trip from Bow.

I generally really like the kids (well, I'm lukewarm on Diane), but this was just blech.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

Finish in the red on Jeopardy. Not know an obvious puzzle on Wheel of Fortune. Give a dumb answer on Family Feud. Act a fool on Survivor. Stuff like that.

• Love 4

I think you asked teebax for examples of embarrassing things that could happen to a person on a game show and she or he gave some of those requested examples.  Which could happen to anyone of any race.  How did he or she indicate that these were examples of black people doing those things?

• Love 3
On April 29, 2016 at 5:24 PM, teebax said:

We loved The Cosby Show even though it was far from our own reality. We were just happy to see another successful black couple on tv since The Jeffersons had been gone for a while.

Scanning quickly thru posts, I thought you wrote "since The Jeffersons had gone white." I thought, When did that happen? :D

12 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I think you asked teebax for examples of embarrassing things that could happen to a person on a game show and she or he gave some of those requested examples.  Which could happen to anyone of any race.  How did he or she indicate that these were examples of black people doing those things?

I think the original point was that if it's a black person making these mistakes, then some viewers will say something like, "Typical stupid black person." My BIL for example would say things like that, far worse things than that. If it's a Latino, he'd say, "Go back to Mexico." And so on. For some people, only when a white person does something wrong is their race irrelevant.

16 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

The fact that they were stealing (under Ruby's encouragement) was bad enough, but way to throw your own mother under the bus, you brats!  Seriously, Bow was clearly concerned about doing a good job and the kids knew that, and they went ahead and sabotaged her anyway.  Imagine if word got around that the silent auction was full of empty gift card envelopes and how that would reflect on Bow (and the dumb kids themselves by association).  I really wanted more of a punishment from Dre and big old guilt trip from Bow.

Yeah, there didn't seem to be much consequence for Ruby, though what would that be? Re what I bolded in your post, I think Ruby was advising the kids to put the used card back in the envelopes, so people would buy the items at the auction and not know the cards were valueless because, according to Ruby, the people wouldn't use them. The problem with this argument is that the people bought those cards specifically, so they'd want to use them. I believe the statistics about gift cards going unused is because they're GIFT cards. Many people receive gift cards for places they're not interested in shopping from.

It felt strange that we never find out what happens after the auction. I assume people will try to use their gift cards and find them worthless. They'd probably end up complaining to Bow. Did she have an explanation ready? 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It felt strange that we never find out what happens after the auction. I assume people will try to use their gift cards and find them worthless. They'd probably end up complaining to Bow. Did she have an explanation ready? 

If I were Bow, I would say that the cards must have been de-magnetized by whatever would demagnetize them (I remember being in a few stores that had signs on the counter saying not to put your credit cards over that spot because it would cause them to stop working).  Then I would replace the cards out of my own money, make my kids do chores to pay me back, and kick Ruby out of my house.

If I were Ruby, I would tell people that whoever donated the card must have donated a used card and start complaining about the donor would end up in hell for their actions.

• Love 7

I know eelskin used to demagnetize hotel room keys because it happened to my old manager a million times when we used to travel together.  You would think she would have gotten a new purse:(

I guess Bow could have gotten an eelskin purse and claimed they were demagnetized that way to save face.  Regardless, what a bunch of little jerks, Dre was right to be as angry as he was.  They were all old enough to know better and it's not like they were from a family where they didn't get stuff galore anyway.

• Love 1

After reading more comments on this episode, I think the gift card plot cod have worked if Diane had conned Jack & Junior into using the gift cards, and then Ruby found out and tried to cover it up but somehow made it worse.  

Zoe could have been off visiting some college or something.  Her going along with the theft was especially egregious as it was completely against her character as established over almost two full seasons.

• Love 3

I think the original point was that if it's a black person making these mistakes, then some viewers will say something like, "Typical stupid black person." My BIL for example would say things like that, far worse things than that. If it's a Latino, he'd say, "Go back to Mexico." And so on. For some people, only when a white person does something wrong is their race irrelevant.

That was my point; sorry if I didn't make that clear. I never intend to offend anyone.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

But we did.  What's her face, Janine? She bought the DisneyLand basket and they couldn't get in because the cards weren't working or something, and Bow said she didn't know why and then said, sorry, in a tunnel, can't hear you, only to have Janine say, that she could see Bow through the window. I'm going to rewatch, because it looked like Bow was talking on her landline and not her cell.

• Love 2

Charlie's return was spoiled for me because Deon Cole's name appeared in the credits right before he appeared in the scene. I'm glad he's back though. I can't get into Rashida Jones' show.

What did they do to Gurkle's hair in the first scene? Was that a wig? Her bangs looked shellacked to her little face.

• Love 2

Earlier that day, my colleagues and I were discussing with some delight the high rate of 'breakage' for our company's gift cards. (That's the jargon term for unredeemed cards). I suppose it should be disappointing that recipients aren't champing at the bit to get their mitts on our stuff, but, hey, it's essentially free money. So part of me was really wanting to shush Ruby lest she ruin it for us!

12 hours ago, attica said:

Earlier that day, my colleagues and I were discussing with some delight the high rate of 'breakage' for our company's gift cards. (That's the jargon term for unredeemed cards). I suppose it should be disappointing that recipients aren't champing at the bit to get their mitts on our stuff, but, hey, it's essentially free money. So part of me was really wanting to shush Ruby lest she ruin it for us!

Do you work for a small company?  I'm just curious?  

18 hours ago, attica said:

The episode reminded me that I haven't used any of my Christmas gift cards, so I guess that was a good thing. I had a few from Target, one from Starbucks, and one from Amazon. I still haven't used them, but at least I'm thinking about them now.

I guess I'm part of the problem!

• Love 3
On April 28, 2016 at 4:08 PM, peeayebee said:

I'm white, and I usually say, "Please be white." In other words, Please don't be black or Muslim.

Same here. I could totally understand the scene.

• Love 2
On 4/30/2016 at 1:11 PM, charmed1 said:

Charlie's return was spoiled for me because Deon Cole's name appeared in the credits right before he appeared in the scene. I'm glad he's back though.

The one time I didn't watch all the way through the credits. I deleted it and came here and that's when I saw that Charlie came back :(

• Love 1

I've been trying to remember the black woman comic with this routine, and I think I'm landing on Wanda Sykes. Anyway, she had a bit about being made to behave especially well in public because her mother would  hiss at her "White people are watching!" if she did something untoward.

Oh! I'm right!

• Love 2

I like Wanda Sykes well enough, but I like Charlie too. So yay either way.

Hated the gift card plot, ugh. It's theft. How does Ruby condone that to her Black Jesus?

And I don't understand people who don't use gift cards. The hell? It's just like money. Would you throw away $50? Of course not, then why leave a $50 card to rot in a drawer? Unless you got one from a store you'd never shop at, but then give it away. I heard a talk radio segment on this before Christmas, and one of the hosts said she never uses gift cards, ever. Almost like it was a point of pride or something. Makes no sense to me.

• Love 9

Dre's forced to take care of the kids while Bow and Ruby are quarantined together with the flu, but the youngsters resist his help and plead for their mother's return.

The work talks are usually the best part of any episode, but damn last night's was firing on all cylinders! 

When Stevens "corrected" himself and said "wealthy lives matter most", I almost fell off the couch from laughter.  

I also really liked Det. Bow, and Diane being sad she couldnt get vengence.  Also nice to see Zoe and Ruby back to normal this week after their personality transplants last week.

• Love 6

Seeing that small bit of flashback made me weep with how much Junior has grown in two seasons.

"Sushi-themed Thanksgiving dinner." "We had that last week." Me: "urp!"

• Love 4
On May 2, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Shermie said:

I like Wanda Sykes well enough, but I like Charlie too. So yay either way.

Hated the gift card plot, ugh. It's theft. How does Ruby condone that to her Black Jesus?

And I don't understand people who don't use gift cards. The hell? It's just like money. Would you throw away $50? Of course not, then why leave a $50 card to rot in a drawer? Unless you got one from a store you'd never shop at, but then give it away. I heard a talk radio segment on this before Christmas, and one of the hosts said she never uses gift cards, ever. Almost like it was a point of pride or something. Makes no sense to me.

For me it's more about oversight than pride. I often forget I have a gift card to somewhere until right after I've shopped or eaten there. I think Amazon ones are the only ones I ever use right away because I can just download the amount into my account.

I only give gift cards if I know someone really likes a particular store or restaurant. My mom loves See's candy, so I get her See's gift cards because she likes to pick out her own chocolates instead of getting am assortment. 

Jack as Keyser Soze was hilarious.

Great to have Charlie back, at least for a while. Has he gained some weight? His face looked fuller to me.

Apparently  Burberry had the product placement deal for this episode.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, attica said:

Seeing that small bit of flashback made me weep with how much Junior has grown in two seasons.

"Sushi-themed Thanksgiving dinner." "We had that last week." Me: "urp!"

Was that Jenny from the Jeffersons in the flashback scene? The one in the Chanel outfit?

• Love 2