Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

Good, I was just hoping it would be funny, not preachy or very special episode-ish. Because that's what this show does best (funny I mean).

It's definitely funny. There's more stuff from Dre's parents that happens after the end of the clip that's gold.

• Love 1
Following a break-in down the block, Dre talks about getting a gun, and Bow is not comfortable with the idea which leads everyone to debate – there are many different ways to protect your family, but what's the "best" way? Jack and Diane are shocked that they have been living in the house unprotected, Junior sets off on a quest to protect the family from the real threat, cyber terrorism, and Zoey has Pops teach her the art of karate to defend herself.
  • Love 1

Jenifer Lewis and Laurence Fishburne are so good. "That can happen to Tyrones."

I love when Diane calls Jack "friend." And Tracee was bringing it too. "I AM BELOVED!"

I'm glad (but not surprised) that the show stayed funny while still getting at the depth of the word.

• Love 11

First off, can we talk about Marcus Scribner's growth spurt over the summer? Good grief! Taller and his voice is starting to get a little deeper. I also loved the braids that Yara's rocking!

I can't remember the actor's name, but Jack is just too adorable. I loved how Bow was deflated because his adorableness didn't work in the meeting.

There were so many other funny moments: The work meeting with Charlie, Dre, and Pharrell-lite bucking up at Stevenson asking about the word "colored"; Stevenson only donating to the UNCF just so he can say "negro" (on both those issues, though? Nope!); Pops and Ruby lying about not using the word.

In the end, I come down on Dre's side about the word.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 5

I thought the episode was funny but I really disliked Bow's argument as to why Jack should get a pass (didn't find it funny). Why not just use the fact the kid was mimicking the song and didn't know any better?!?!  Yeah too obvious. 

Glad you are back show. Missed ya.

• Love 4

I thought the episode was funny but I really disliked Bow's argument as to why Jack should get a pass (didn't find it funny). Why not just use the fact the kid was mimicking the song and didn't know any better?!?!  Yeah too obvious. 

Glad you are back show. Missed ya.

ITA - that would have been a much stronger argument than "look at his sweet little face!" And to be fair, kids sing along to anything. I remember parents being horrified about their kids singing along to certain Britney Spears songs with suggestive lyrics. I understand it's disturbing to hear those words coming out of your kid's mouth but half the time they aren't processing what they're actually singing. I loooooved Madonna so I knew all the words to all of her songs. One day I was singing along to "Like a Virgin" in the car with my mom who said, "Honey, do you understand what this song means?" Being the oblivious kid that I was, I said, "Yes, she feels shiny and new!" I knew what a virgin was and I knew what sex was, but to me that song was not about either of those things.

• Love 12

Watching as a not-young person of the Caucasian persuasion, I found last night's episode both very funny and very thoughtful in dealing with the issue of how a nasty word that people of my generation were always taught is unspeakable is sometimes casually tossed around by African-Americans. And I don't mind being made to think while I'm laughing.

There is a great deal to love about this show, but I've always been particularly amazed at how good the young kids who play Jack and Diane are. Then again, all of the actors are great. The closing exchanges between Dre and Jack, and then Dre and Pops, were really well written. I love Pops too.

• Love 12

I understand it's disturbing to hear those words coming out of your kid's mouth but half the time they aren't processing what they're actually singing. I loooooved Madonna so I knew all the words to all of her songs. One day I was singing along to "Like a Virgin" in the car with my mom who said, "Honey, do you understand what this song means?" Being the oblivious kid that I was, I said, "Yes, she feels shiny and new!" I knew what a virgin was and I knew what sex was, but to me that song was not about either of those things.

Same here, only it was "Billie Jean."

• Love 5

Reminds me of a friend of mine saying, "Y'know, I like Rihanna, but what am I supposed to do when my 8-year old's in the backseat singing 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but chains and whips excite me'?  C'mon!"

I agree that Bow should have gone with the hit-song defense.  

Charlie whipping out a firearm made me more uncomfortable than anything related to The Word, all of which I thought they covered with honesty and humor from just about every angle.

The team who cast this show deserve an Emmy. Do they give out Emmys for casting decisions? If not, they should.

They do give out Emmys for Casting.  This year's comedy winner was Veep.

Edited by JohnnyGilda
  • Love 1

The episode was really well done. At one point, Bow is wearing a shirt on it that says "Queen". The outer part of the 'n' wasn't visible to me (out of sight, caught in her armpit, I don't know), so I thought she was wearing a shirt that said "Queer". And I thought, they are taking on all kinds of words this episode. But I was incorrect.

The actor who plays Jack was on the New Orleans episode of Drunk History as Louis Armstrong. It was a good episode, and he did well in the role. He is a cutie!

• Love 1

Such a fantastic ep. I'm glad the show has continued its first-season excellence into its second.

The meeting at work was hilarious. All the white people cringing. Charlie pulling out a gun and slamming it on the table. The boss wanting to say 'colored' and 'negro' and then bringing up NAACP and UNCF, eliciting consideration from Andre, Charlie, and whatshisname. So good.

Jack IS adorable. Because this show is a comedy, I thought it was great that Bo tried to use his cuteness as a defense. And then Jack being dismayed when it didn't work! Awww.

Love when they're discussing where Jack can go to school, and Pops suggests Watts which has both Bloods and Crypts, then Bo says she has an email, and Jack screams, "Is it the Crypts!?"

Just everything was great.

Oh, and the opening that included the real clip from a spelling bee. "Numbnuts?" HA!

• Love 10

Really Funny and observant.  Very strong way to return.

I was dying from the jump!  The school assembly, the teacher dancing, George Bush!  So funny.  BTW, I love the casting of the teacher who was in charge of the assembly.  Lord I think I had her in 6th grade.

All of the scenes at Dre's workplace were great especially Charlie and his gun.  "Maybe reholster our firearms, Charles." and the explanations of which Latinos can use the N-word (not the JLo types).  And all the white folks' reactions during Charlie, Dre & not!Pharell's conversation.

Under all his bluster, I thought this observation by Dre was rather deep. "[The white man] either wants nobody to say it because he can't or he wants everyone to say it so he can."

Bow looked fabulous. It feels like they stepped up TER's wardrobe a bit.

Didn't care much for the B-plot but Junior is always fab.

• Love 5

What was also hilarious was how those tight-assed blowhards at the Board turned on the Principal and said "You haven't seen Training Day?!"

And the "WHAT?" from Dre to Pops when Pops said he never used the word-straight to the flashback that he did use it; to having Pops say "WHAT?" to Ruby, when she said she never used the word, only to flashback to when she did say it.

Seriously, I can't add to what everyone has already stated, except to agree that I was laughing from beginning to end so hard, I had a coughing fit. I'ma gonna watch it again on Demand, because the last few seconds of my recording got cut off when Dre, with the bat, is telling Zoey's friends how they can't use the word until he gets to the last one, whose name I can't recall, and Dre pauses, because he's not sure if that kid is White or not.

• Love 4

I loved the whole work meeting. My favorite part was when the one white guy started with "I think" and immediately the boss and the woman sitting next to him tried to shut him down. I also loved later the chart and the explanation that some Latinos can say it and some can't.

Zoe is getting better. She was the weakest character for me last season, but she had some good lines this episode. I loved her tricking Junior with the recording of the water running and using her hair as a weapon.

• Love 3

I'ma gonna watch it again on Demand, because the last few seconds of my recording got cut off when Dre, with the bat, is telling Zoey's friends how they can't use the word until he gets to the last one, whose name I can't recall, and Dre pauses, because he's not sure if that kid is White or not.

Dre is studying him then says, "I'm gonna have to meet your parents."

• Love 5

I also loved later the chart and the explanation that some Latinos can say it and some can't.

The Rosie Perez Puerto Ricans can, the J Lo Puerto Ricans can't.

"Big Pun, Fat Joe ok.  Marc Anthony or Ricky Martin, no bueno."

"Basically the whole Terror Squad can say it, but not Menudo"

And the white office mates were taking notes on yellow legal pads  LOL.

• Love 15

As many of you have already said, great frakking episode.  As a black person who doesn't say that word, I absolutely loved Dre's talk with Jack at the end when he explained that Jack should learn about the history of the word first, then make his own decision as to whether or not he wants to continue using it.  And then of course, mentioning to not use it in mixed company.

I also fell out of my chair when Dre told Zoey's 3rd "racially ambiguous" friend that he'd have to meet his parents before deciding whether or not it was okay to continue saying it.....I was thinking the same shit before Dre said it!  Lol!  

• Love 4

A little Ruby goes a looooooong way. No more Ruby-focused episodes, please.

I wish I'd had this episode on hand when I was still teaching. As a white teacher (among many) in a school with an entirely black or hispanic population, I tried to be sensitive to issues of race, but lacked the proper tools and training. This episode would have been a good starting ground for talking about issues of power and control, and how history shapes language and perception.

• Love 6

The only thing I wish about this episode is that they hadn't advertised so heavily what the episode was going to be about and Jack's song. I think it could have been even stronger if the audience had no idea that was coming and we all kind of felt that same horror the audience felt when they heard it. (Without actually hearing it obviously since most of us know that song). 

I did love the bit with Zoey's friends because I struggle with that with my niece's friends on Facebook. Not a one of them is black and they are in Alabama. I know that they're trying to use it in the 'we're so street' way, but it is awful.  I chastise her all the time when they post stuff like that on her wall. 

• Love 1

I've always wondered that about the NAACP myself.

It's a nod to our history. When the NAACP was founded, in the early 1900s, colored was a dignified word for African-Americans, and certainly more respectable than some of the other things black people were called back then.

Also, it's my understanding that the NAACP also isn't just about black folks; it's for all people of color. I know there have been discussions about changing the name, but I think those are the main two reasons it continues. They also have name recognition as an organization that's been around so long.

Anyway, I thought this was an excellent way to open the season and am glad to have new episodes of one of my favorite sitcoms.

• Love 7

Jack freaking out because he thought the Crips were emailing him made me laugh so hard I had to stop the episode. 

So happy this show is back! To me, its one of the most thoughtful shows on TV. I found the generational stuff between Pops, Dre, and Zoe to be really interesting. 

Of course Charlie brings a gun to work. Of course he does. 

• Love 4