Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

Yes, it often (I'm not saying always) suggests that they've only heard the word delivered as if it were a slur, and so think that the word itself is the problem. I've even been on a tour of the National Cathedral in DC (which though officially Episcopalian, has hosted services of many faiths), and the docent tied her tongue in knots to avoid saying "Jew" or even "Jewish." Somehow, despite the training they must get, she had it in her head as a not-nice word. She generally said "Hebrew" (which I hear as simply quaint in this context).

• Love 1

I loooove Junior. I want him to date Sue Heck (from The Middle). Or Sue's friend Brad.

As a Jew, I have encountered that squeamish reaction (as though "Jew" is a slur), and found it just as mystifying as Dre's co-worker did. I loved how the character was portrayed, though-- she was great. I agree this problem comes from people having heard "Jew" used as a slur and putting up a wall in response, but it also really does imply they know nothing about Jews or Judaism, either-- it's a reflex that's so unexamined that it kind of proves the point it's trying to refute. In general, her co-workers' reactions to her, not just here but in other episodes also, I feel is a way the show demonstrates that it realizes that sexism is also a factor at Dre's job, and now anti-Semitism, too (er... culturally....), even if they focus mostly on Dre's experiences. But this week, in particular, I thought the actress handled it fantastically well. Her expressions took a decent script and made it sublime.

• Love 8

What was with all the WNBA jokes?

Lol at Charlie cosigning for his reverend's Bentley. At least it wasn't a private jet.

"Then He's gonna be amazed by my high score." Of course Diane would be the one to embrace acting like a little heathen.

Junior's Easter suit was like a hipster version of Jack Nicholson's Joker outfit from Batman. Then in the third suit Ruby had him looking like a well-dressed pimp.

Loved Ruby's loud purple hat and the way she got up in church and proceeded to put half the congregation's medical business in the street.

Oh my word. Ruby saying, "I have never been dramatic a day in my life. Not ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER!" cracked me up!

The WNBA being the butt of a run of jokes was hilarious. I can't explain why I don't find those to be an insult to the WNBA. Just funny. Loved Junior saying, "God's everywhere. Except WNBA games. Nobody goes to those."

• Love 2

I laughed my ex-church going ass off during this show! 

I realized that Blackish can be sharp/smart funny (the N-word episode) or it can just be gut-funny, like this one.  It isn't trying to make a statement at all and the humor relies completely on people recognizing something of themselves.

For instance the whole black church scene was so funny cuz it was true.  I think part of the humor comes from the sheer relief of someone feeling like you do.  Sure you can respect the church, and lord knows the music be banging, but dang after the opening remarks, the personal testimony, and three/four song choice to 'get y'all warmed up', they announce the Pastor is about to give his sermon and you realize you've already been there for like three hours.  LOL.

In my church we had a young male organist who I would play softly as kinda like a soundtrack to the happenings.  And it never failed but during the part where they passed the collection plate, he'd softly play the bassline of Joy & Pain by Frankie Beverly. 

• Love 12
The WNBA being the butt of a run of jokes was hilarious. I can't explain why I don't find those to be an insult to the WNBA. Just funny. Loved Junior saying, "God's everywhere. Except WNBA games. Nobody goes to those."

I found the first joke moderately funny, but the repetition did feel insulting, in my book. 

Oddly, the AV Club gave this episode a C+.  I mostly liked it.

I loved this episode except for Zoe and Dre not being able to get it together for the pitch. Yes, I know Zoe had to be that way. I just can't stand teens IRL or TV that act that way. SMDH. Mr. Nice turned to me during Dre's pitch and was like, "This is dumb." It was. Dre would be able to get his shit together to do the pitch. I get we wouldn't have gotten the reaction from the execs and focus powder. It's moments like that when it's clear the sitcomy elements of the show. \

Why is Ruby around so much? A little goes a long way.

Did anyone else FF past the fake commercial and then have to go back, because I did. It was a pretty good commercial.

I FFed over the "Daddy's Day" ad, too, and only picked it up when I rewound. That was awesome!!!

Just had a chance to watch this episode last night, and I totally Ffwd'd through that part of the show.

When I was a little white girl who played in her presbyterian church's handbell choir, our director thought it would be awesome to do a choir-swap with the black baptist church across the street. Their children's choir would come over and sing, and our handbell group went over to them and played. The kid's choir had tambourines and they clapped and swayed and were so much fun. When our troupe went over, we had to sit through a bit of the service before it was our turn to play. I was gobsmacked at all the call-and-response. (Mom! They were yelling. At the minister! In church! If I'd had pearls, they were definitely clutched.) The marching up and down the aisles by the adult choir blew my wee white mind. So then we played, and got the 'aww, aren't they just darling' responses. The service kept going on and on, and finally our director found an opening for us to split, and leave the rest of the service (which was about 3 hours, if memory serves) to the congregants. No way kids who found our hour-long service the limit of endurance could manage the heavy lifting across the street.

So: I loved this ep. And all its hats.

• Love 11

Is this the first time Bow and Dre have really talked about Diane being legit crazy, though? It seemed like the court-mandated therapy, mentioned twice, kind of came out of left field. It's funny to us as viewers because we see her machinations but I don't recall there being anything like this brought up before.

I'm curious. Suppose the court-mandated therapy was not just a joke. What would Diane have been in court for? Or would it be her parents who were in trial or whatever it is? How would that work?

For the record, I don't think Diane is crazy, I think she's got critical thinking, which is a good thing in my book. Her motivations might be suspect, but her reasoning is legit.

"We'll see you at school, I guess?" - "In just a few hours!"

• Love 3
For the record, I don't think Diane is crazy, I think she's got critical thinking, which is a good thing in my book. Her motivations might be suspect, but her reasoning is legit.

I don't really think she's legit crazy either - she's crazy like a fox. Devious. Cunning. Super effing smart! All reasons I love the heck out of her as a character.

It will be interesting to see if the court mandated therapy lines (whether jokes or real) come up again.

• Love 4

I hate when the sitcomy parts of this show are so glaringly obvious. For one, how did Bow and Dre not know Jack was going to use that song? Come on now. And for Bow to be so oblivious to not use the "he was just singing a song" argument, as in he didn't really understand what he was saying, etc. I'd like to think the writers are better than this. Maybe not.

That said, hilarious! My family and I about died when Charlie brought out the gun*. Crazy. Junior is never not funny to me unless the writers just have him weird for no reason. (Come on! In the shower with Dre. Junior is not an idiot.) And yes, Junior shot up!

Somebody up thread said Jack isn't as cute as he and everyone thinks. I kind of agree with that. Someone also said they find Diane unbelievable. I agree. She's my second to least favorite character. Well, third. 

Anyway, I generally agree with Dre's sentiment about the white man wanting to be able to say or no one can say it. I honestly don't get it. I'm not chomping at the bit to say racial, ethnic, sexual slurs so I'm not all offended when a member of that groups says someone outside that group can't use it. Why some non-black people are offended is beyond me.

Dude, hasn't seen Training Day? Shame. He hasn't done his black people homework.

*Why does Charlie still have a job? They got some quota to fill? Dude is cray-a-zee!

• Love 1

*Why does Charlie still have a job? They got some quota to fill? Dude is cray-a-zee!

Have you actually paid attention to their boss? That guy is a wacko! His character would never recognize how out there Charlie is. They probably share "focus powder" in the boss's office.

Edited by RedHawk

Did anyone else FF past the fake commercial and then have to go back, because I did. It was a pretty good commercial.

I totally did, then realized it was their commercial halfway through. Knew others would be doing the same!

• Love 1

Special kudos to anyone who recognizes my childhood traumatic food event: Beef Tripe.  Almost five decades later, I still have nightmares.

Just seeing this now.  Beef tripe is my CTFE also!  My parents forced me to eat a number of things I didn't like but tripe was the only thing that caused me to vomit all over the kitchen table.  Served 'em right!

• Love 1

Diane's probably my least favorite character. Actually, I think the character's ok, but the actress isn't as good as everyone else. I think Jack is adorable, and the actor is so so good. A real natural.

I love the actress that plays Diane!  I think all the kids on this show are so great though.  They did a really great job with casting.

• Love 11

Just seeing this now.  Beef tripe is my CTFE also!  My parents forced me to eat a number of things I didn't like but tripe was the only thing that caused me to vomit all over the kitchen table.  Served 'em right!

Yikes!  My reaction wasn't nearly as bad, heh.  Just remember that strong, weird, vinegar-like taste.  Maybe we should start a survivor's club.  Btw, were your folks from the South like mine?  Lotta strange stuff was eaten below the Mason-Dixon Line.

And my grandma had a bowl of Cream of Wheat EVERY single morning.  For real.

For my family it was Maypo.  Still can't stand the damn stuff.

Anyway, I generally agree with Dre's sentiment about the white man wanting to be able to say or no one can say it. I honestly don't get it. I'm not chomping at the bit to say racial, ethnic, sexual slurs so I'm not all offended when a member of that groups says someone outside that group can't use it. Why some non-black people are offended is beyond me.

I just don't get the concept of keeping a racial or any other kind of slur alive to "own" the word and I'm honestly not looking for an explanation, just expressing an opinion. As a female, if the "c" word was never uttered anywhere on the planet again it would be too soon for me. I thought the show did a fantastic job of explaining the "rules" and the ludicrous nature of it, i.e.. you can say it if you're Puerto Rican, but only the Rosie Perez kind, not the a Jennifer Lopez kind, LOL. Edited by mansonlamps

When I was a little white girl who played in her presbyterian church's handbell choir,

OMG!  I love this!  This is worthy of a Blackish episode shout out. 

I found the first joke moderately funny, but the repetition did feel insulting, in my book. 

Oddly, the AV Club gave this episode a C+.  I mostly liked it.

Yeah, I didn't agree with the C+.  Her review of the episode was positive so I don't know why she graded it so low.  She is a different reviewer than they had last season.  The reviewer last season was much more positive in his scoring.  But I think this season is stronger right out the gate.

• Love 1

Did anyone else love Ruby's stilted pronounciation of the "Tal-Li-Ban?"

I did love how she said that! I also was re-watching last night and realized that during her epic prayer list, she talked about someone having "the cancer." Made me laugh so much because people saying "the cancer" is one of my dad's biggest pet peeves. Why can't they just have cancer? I need to see if he watched and caught that.

• Love 3

I think the casting of the children was done really well especially considering part of the story being Bow having a white mother. Zoey Jr and Jack look mixed race while Dianne favors Dre/Ruby. Looks like my niece family. She is mixed and has 3 children 2 of which look exactly like their dad and a little boy who is her spitting image. I think realistically they got it right. Plus I don't think Diane is mean she is just wise beyond her years and definitely the voice of reason for Jack. I still laugh from the season premiere when she said "I begged him to go with the radio edit" which means she knew the whole time but never said a word

It is probably the cousin's children, especially since it mentions that Dre's mean cousin visits. I consider my cousins' children my nieces and nephews- they are family.

Agreed.  In Chinese (or at least Cantonese-speaking) culture(s), a cousin once removed in the older generation is known as a cousin-aunt or cousin-uncle (and whether one is male or female, a spouse or older or younger than the person in question changes the terminology as well (not to mention with same-sex marriage, what IS the proper term for the husband of one's male first cousin?  Or brother?).  To the point that even native-speakers of Chinese get confused.  Most of the time, we stick to the English term of Aunt or Uncle So-and-so)  Thus, their children are more "nieces" and "nephews."  This has confused my (Jewish) husband.

• Love 1
I still laugh from the season premiere when she said "I begged him to go with the radio edit" which means she knew the whole time but never said a word

Actually, if she begged him, that means she told him what would happen and he just didn't listen.  Her line delivery was killer though.  I love Diane.  She's my favorite, but I don't think she's mean either. I just think she's the smartest person in the room and she knows it.  I ain't mad at her.

BTW, I think the actress playing Diane is fabulous.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 2

Dre - "Is anyone at this Church ok?" I laughed a good 10 minutes. Oh I remember so well the Church announcements.

I also loved "I co-signed for my pastors Bentley. My son can't get a hot lunch but I'm going to Heaven" Charlie

This episode was absolute GOLD and Junior is that too small Easter suit, the too big "black church" Steve Harvey collection suit and the Christmas suit at the end was my favorite part. It showed just how CEO they were that all his special suits were too small

"Steve Harvey collection suit" - LOL!!!  Best line on here.

I too thought Junior up on stage was the funniest part.  Charlie is so great.  Though I have expected someone from HR to come back with the girl (forgot her name) and try to explain to the idiots that "Jew" is ok to call her.

CEO churchgoers - Christmas and Easter only.  I am going to remember that.

• Love 2

A lot of people think saying the word "Jew" is an offensive slur toward Jewish people.  I definitely know people who do.

This is a wild guess, but so, using it as a verb is very much offensive. A noun? Not at all. So I wonder if some well-meaning/fearful people just avoid saying "Jew" at all because for some reason they don't comprehend the difference and/or are worried they'll fuck it up.
  • Love 2

Yet another great episode.

- The kids were on fire tonight.  Great episode for all of them.

- The freeze frame fight with the cousins had me howling!

- As did the Straight Outta Compton intro of said cousins.

- As was the flashback of Michael Strahan looking like Doughboy.

- Somehow they made Anthony Anderson kinda resemble Barack (if you squinted a little).  Whatever they did with the shape of his head & the fake ears it was good.

- Bow was a banging Michelle! That dress was very nice.

- The second confrontation between the kids was funny, especially them picking on the one cousin's cabin boy father.  And then Junior doing the dead-on impression of the guy from Captain Phillips. And of course Jack as Bo Obama all night.  He used his teeth a lot.

- The return of the idea that  Rick Fox is Zoe's biological father was a nice call back.

- Does everyone have a cousin Junebug?  I know I did.  I also had an Uncle Junior.  His actual name was Thomas.  He was named after his father (my paternal grandfather), so he was actually Thomas Jr. but we were dead kids walking if we dared call him Uncle Thomas. aka Uncle Tom.  So Uncle Junior it was.

- No office scenes.  I love them but I didn't miss them here.  Nice contained episode.

Imma have to re-watch.  There were so many good lines.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 14

Anthony Anderson's son was the cousin with the gray sweater.

The whole family as The First Family with Jack being the dog was inspired and yes AA did look like Obama a bit.

From the first shot of little Dre as Silver Surfer with his gheri curl cap to the end I had tears in my eyes from laughter. The whole cast was on fire.

The music is this show is great too and compliments the scenes instead of just playing records for the sake of it.

Michael Strahan is fione!!!...Hot damn!!!!! I assumed that those kids were his since they all were there at the same time. And i have two Junebugs in my family smh.

This show has hit a wonderful stride this season now if i can just get my girls cree summer and carla from the chew to come and play rainbow's meddling sisters that dont like dre and they get into it with ruby... lol. i would be set. i'm just thinking out loud.

Waaaaaaaait rewatching now and did not recognize that little Dre's surfboard was an ironing board for his SS costume LMAO

Edited by Whitley Trillbert
  • Love 12