Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

There are times when I really hate that this show is a sitcom because they fall into the sitcom traps and it just brings the show down for me.  Still laughed a lot at this episode.  Not at Wanda Sykes character much because I can't stand how 2 faced she is.  Lucy really needs to get out of that place.  The boss (forget his name) really needs to keep his mouth shut hilarious though he may be.  (The "Bastard Miller" was hilariously wrong!)  The whole episode the hubby and I were like, "This is so dumb!/Dre is super annoying! WTF?!?!" Why does Bow even engage him?

I mean in the grand scheme of things, who cares?  How does your life change?  It doesn't.  You ain't know all this time and life went on fine.  I can't stand arguments about last name changes.  Especially if you do it as a woman, you're wrong.  GTFO!  (Disappointed me Bow and with only naming white feminists.  Come on writers!)  I changed my name because (1) my last name from birth should've been different, (2) no particular attachment to my last name maybe because of #1, (3) taking my husband's name moved me up in the alphabet, (4) it's a cool (really cool given my profession) last name, and (5) the hubby said, "I don't ask for much. I just ask that you take my name."  Given his attachment to his last name and his family's attachment to it, sure.  There's definitely identity rolled up into their last name. They are very, very proud of their last name.  You'd think they were the Rockefellers or something.  Lol.

I agree it was good to see the actors that played Rhonda's parents!  (Blanking on names.)  I thought her mom and Ruby would get into it because Ruby is ridiculous with the "Call me __."  Woman please.

This show is trying to sell me on Junior being a loser and Jack being so cute.  Not buying either.  I do buy Zoe is mostly a pain but has good moments and something is wrong with Diane.

• Love 1

I don't know, but I wondered if she was someone we might know.

I wasn't too thrilled with this one. I liked seeing Nat Faxon again. He made a good super rich guy. Loved when he told Dre to take off his shoes when they were going outside.

I liked The Usual Suspects bit. I actually suspected Jack right when he tripped coming into the kitchen.

I like all the flashbacks of Junior.

That's about it.

• Love 1

I really don't understand how Dre could mistake the humidor room for a bathroom. Also, it's gauche (borrowed from the French gaucher) to do more than pee at someone else's house, especially someone you just met, unless it's an emergency and you have no time to leave. Maybe the sushi-themed Thanksgiving dinner didn't agree with him.

All the nanny's "hmph"ing was getting on my nerves. If someone who worked for me was that openly judgmental, she wouldn't work for me for long.

Charlie adds so much to the office scenes. His face when Stevens said "wealthy lives matter" was the best.

• Love 1

I will say I was super pissed at Ruby.  I have generally liked her abrasiveness.  She is salty but she never crossed the line.  But that was condoning outright thievery and I hate that it was just hand-waved away.  The kids only got yelled at?  Yeah I actively disliked her here.

They did show Dre standing in front of all the kids and Ruby, and each one handing back some items (for example, Zoey gave him back a phone, which she had been interested in stealing from the gift card options earlier in the episode, so I assume that's the gift card she stole and used). So I think Dre probably had to return their stolen stuff and reimburse people with new gift cards.

What annoys me is that it just doesn't seem like a Ruby thing to do. Yes, she's many things, but you'd think she'd stop to recall that "Thou Shalt Not Steal" is actually one of the 10 Commandments. It's not even a little white lie. It's God's Top 10 big bad ones. (LOL.) She should be afraid she's going to hell now. Jesus would not approve, Ruby. For shame! 

• Love 2

I didn't really understand the bathroom mixup either. Maybe what Dre mistook as a toilet was a humidor with a lid that lifted up like a toilet seat. That must be based in reality, right?

• Love 1

I liked the role reversal arc of the episode.

Dre begins the episode disappointed because, in his eyes, Junior isn't enough like him to justify them cultivating a close(r) relationship, then when Junior starts exhibiting standard Cool Kid tendencies Dre is understandably over the moon, only for him to later become depressed once his insecurities surface about potentially not being enough, as a father and a provider, in Junior's eyes.

And, to Junior's credit, he's perceptive enough to not to internalize Dre's neuroses and willing to allow his Dad the emotional space to work through his issues with only a minor bit of teasing.

• Love 2

Blech.
I wish Bow would tell Ruby (in front of Dre) to shut up or get out.  This is Bow's house and Ruby has no right to talk to her like that.  When Black Nanny first hmmphed, I thought (and hoped) that was what she was going to say.

Dre really hates his son, doesn't he, unless Junior acts exactly the way Dre wants.  I'm sure Junior has geek friends -- he just doesn't bring them to the house because he doesn't want to expose them to Dre's derision.  But these friends are cool, until one is too cool for Dre, then he has to wreck it.  I really hate the emotional abuse Junior is put through.

Not even Charlie could make up fro the ghastly that is this episode.

When Stevens "corrected" himself and said "wealthy lives matter most", I almost fell off the couch from laughter.  

Stevens always knocks it out of the park. I loved his “wealthy lives matter most” almost as much as Diane’s “sucks to be you, Homie” comment to Jack, coupled with her dismissive shrug.  Diane has NFTG.  I like that in her. 

So glad Charlie is back.

• Love 1

I missed you so much Charlie! And apparently Charlie is one of the aliens from Galaxy Quest, with no ability to tell the difference between fiction and reality!

The stuff with Dre`s co-workers is always hilarious. Wanda Sykes was ok, but it just feels right that Charlie is back.

I did like this episode, even if Dre was back into his insecure asshole mode. Junior really just cant win! But I do appreciate that he was honest with Junior at the end about how insecure he was feeling. And it can be kind of weird to hang out with people who have a lot more money than you, especially when your still a kid. But, for all his goofy antics and love of toys and wizards and games, Junior is pretty mature, and confident in himself. More so than Dre anyway, who is still massively insecure, and obsessed with proving his success and manhood every episode. 

Now that we have Charlie back, can we have Pops back more often then? 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

What annoys me is that it just doesn't seem like a Ruby thing to do. Yes, she's many things, but you'd think she'd stop to recall that "Thou Shalt Not Steal" is actually one of the 10 Commandments. It's not even a little white lie. It's God's Top 10 big bad ones. (LOL.) She should be afraid she's going to hell now. Jesus would not approve, Ruby. For shame! 

We've seen before that Ruby's morality is flexible where her own wants and needs are concerned.

• Love 1
On Monday, May 02, 2016 at 7:57 PM, Shermie said:

I like Wanda Sykes well enough, but I like Charlie too. So yay either way.

Hated the gift card plot, ugh. It's theft. How does Ruby condone that to her Black Jesus?

And I don't understand people who don't use gift cards. The hell? It's just like money. Would you throw away $50? Of course not, then why leave a $50 card to rot in a drawer? Unless you got one from a store you'd never shop at, but then give it away. I heard a talk radio segment on this before Christmas, and one of the hosts said she never uses gift cards, ever. Almost like it was a point of pride or something. Makes no sense to me.

I don't understand that either. If I get gift cards to places I've never shop or eaten before, I go there. If it's a place I don't care for, then I got something for free and won't return. If I like it, I'll go back.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Blech.
I wish Bow would tell Ruby (in front of Dre) to shut up or get out.  This is Bow's house and Ruby has no right to talk to her like that.  When Black Nanny first hmmphed, I thought (and hoped) that was what she was going to say.

I hated Black Nanny's hmmphing a lot more than Ruby's interfering.  I could put up with a lot more judginess from a mother in law than a hired employee.

I thought Dre's bathroom mistake and Junior's face every time it came up was hilarious.  I'm not sure what room he mistook for the bathroom, but it made for several very funny scenes.

I'm in the very small minority that just doesn't enjoy the work scenes that much.  Talk about unrealistic, who sits around a table at work discussing one employee's family problems, especially with the "big boss?"  I'll take several pooping in the wrong room scenarios over that.

50 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

The stuff with Dre`s co-workers is always hilarious. Wanda Sykes was ok, but it just feels right that Charlie is back.

I like Wanda Sikes, but did not like her character on this show, although, I found her more tolerable once the stopped having her do the old joke of saying one thing then saying completely the opposite a later and claim that she never said what she had actually said the first time.  

Having Charlie back is so much better.  Not only is he a great character, but he is Dre's only work friend.  I hadn't given it a lot of thought until just now, but, while Charlie was gone, all the work stuff ended up being everyone putting down Dre. The closest thing he had to an ally was the white woman, and she is mostly indifferent.    

• Love 1

Curtis and Dre are pretty friendly too. Unfortunately Allen Maldonado largely disappeared, more or less, around the same time as Deon Cole's abrupt exit.

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

And apparently Charlie is one of the aliens from Galaxy Quest, with no ability to tell the difference between fiction and reality!

Charlie: Wealthy people keep minorities as pets. Have you seen that documentary, The Toy?
Dre: The Toy is a scripted movie starring Richard Pryor!
Charlie: Is it, Dre? Is ... it?

• Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I hated Black Nanny's hmmphing a lot more than Ruby's interfering.  I could put up with a lot more judginess from a mother in law than a hired employee.

Ruby is flat-out mean and condescending.    "Hmppph" doesn't mean a thing unless you ask.

YMOV (Your Mileage Obviously Varies)

ETA:
I forgot to mention before but no one who would be hosting Obama calls him "Barry".  The only ones who do are the ones who claim he's a "Kenyan Marxist".

Edited by jhlipton
New thought
(edited)
On 4/29/2016 at 5:19 PM, Deanie87 said:

Ugh, the gift card stuff just soured me on the whole episode, even Charlie  The fact that they were stealing (under Ruby's encouragement) was bad enough, but way to throw your own mother under the bus, you brats!  Seriously, Bow was clearly concerned about doing a good job and the kids knew that, and they went ahead and sabotaged her anyway.  Imagine if word got around that the silent auction was full of empty gift card envelopes and how that would reflect on Bow (and the dumb kids themselves by association).  I really wanted more of a punishment from Dre and big old guilt trip from Bow.

I generally really like the kids (well, I'm lukewarm on Diane), but this was just blech.

But it all comes down to Ruby. All four kids were actively against stealing the gift cards until their grandmother assured them that there would be no consequences for their thievish behavior. Thievery that she'd already been conducting. Yes, Junior and Zoe are teenagers, and yes, they know Ruby is crazy, but she actually convinced them that it was okay to steal the gift cards. So I agree that they all should have punished, which they were. 

ETA: Why is Bow always the outsider? She doesn't have any mom friends, she doesn't seem to be friends with anyone from work, and even at the cocktail party with her "friends," she was didn't seem close to anyone in her circle. Even Dre doesn't seem to get her. I hate plotlines like the auction storyline that make Bow look stupid and incompetent. She's a friggin' surgeon. This reminds me of the episode where she saved some guys life in her kitchen, and no one, not even Dre, gave her props for being as awesome as she is. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 5

When has a sitcom ever improved with the addition of a baby?

Never that I can recall.  Likewise, how often has a sitcom character learned something (say, how to be a dad) and remembered it later?

• Love 2

I wondered that too. And really, yet another sitcom family with a surprise baby 10 years after having their last. And she's a doctor, of all people, she shouldn't have an oopsie pregnancy. 

And yeah, babies ruin shows. I really wish they hadn't gone there.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Never that I can recall.  Likewise, how often has a sitcom character learned something (say, how to be a dad) and remembered it later?

The only show I can think of is Family Ties, though I think they wrote it in because of Meridith Baxter's real life pregnancy. It happened in the third season. And the show went on for another six years.

• Love 2

In the second-season finale, Dre falls asleep while watching a "Good Times" marathon and has a dream that his family transforms into the characters from the '70s television show.

I honestly couldn't believe that they did a "whoops we're having a baby" move.I have sincerely come to hate these story lines.I *know* it happens in real life, even if someone is a doctor, but I still don't have to like it! Although Dre & Bow watching the kids have a pillow fight in their sick fort, made me smile. Plus as the oldest of 5 kids, it's an amazing experience having 4 other souls who love me, accept me and totally, totally get me! We still think our parents are crazy for having 5 kids,  but they say it didn't cost as much then! On this show though, money is not an issue so  that won't come up.

Ruby and Bow bonding was good. Finally something nice between them.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I can think of some that have managed it. I wouldn't necessarily say they ever improved a show but they're not always a death knell.  However, I'd argue that it's not necessarily the baby that kills a show but rather the introduction of a baby usually aligns with a show's natural downfall.  (It'd be my same argument about why the "Moonlighting Curse" is a myth. When shows used to do "Will they" or "Won't They?" endlessly, a couple finally getting together would coincide with a decline in quality/interest--it was rarely the cause of it.) Unless a baby is incorporated because of an actress's pregnancy, babies are usually introduced when a show's kids get too old or the show finds itself looking for stories.  In other words, it usually happens later in a series when a series is in decline. 

Since this is happening pretty early, I'm not too worried abut what this means for the show.  I'm not sure why they feel another kid is needed but I still think the writing is fresh enough that it's not a desperate move.

1 hour ago, Shermie said:

I wondered that too. And really, yet another sitcom family with a surprise baby 10 years after having their last. And she's a doctor, of all people, she shouldn't have an oopsie pregnancy. 

I don't think she ended up pregnant because she doesn't know how to prevent a pregnancy.  She ended up pregnant either due to a birth control failure or due to the fact that they're both human and either screwed up or maybe got careless and assumed she wouldn't get pregnant.  During the vasectomy episode last season, Bow mentioned that she had stopped taking the birth control pills a while ago because she thought Dre had gotten a vasectomy.  If she were off the pills and he really hadn't been snipped, I could see how they felt nature was taking its course and shutting their systems down.  So if they skip the condom once or twice....what are the odds?

However, given that ep, where I thought they didn't want kids, I found their reactions in this episode a bit strange.  It's not that I think they wouldn't have the kid.  I just think there would be more discussion.

• Love 5

Just got around to watching this epi and thought it was hilarious. It also reminded me of when hubby and I got engaged 13 years ago. I had never planned on changing my name if/when I got married, but we had also never discussed it in the 6 years we dated. We were in our mid 40s when we got engaged. When I mentioned at one point that I would not be changing my name my then fiance said "What do you mean you aren't going to change your name?" I told him that after 45 years of having the same name I saw no reason to change it, but if after 47 years of having the same name he would like to change his last name to mine, to be my guest. He never brought it up again.

One of his cousins though had what I thought was the oddest situation with regards to name changing. When her first child was born she was not married to her boyfriend and gave the baby her last name as she had two sisters and figured there would be no one to carry on the family name. Several years later she married another guy, and convinced him to change his name to her maiden name which of course was also her daughter's surname. They went on to have two kids who also were given her maiden name. They divorced. (I have no idea if he kept her last name after the divorce or not). The kicker is that she went on the marry again, and changed her name to her new husband's. So she has his name and her three kids have her maiden name.

I agree with posters who have said that Jack and Diane are bordering on obnoxious sitcom kids. They used to be cute and enjoyable to watch but not so much anymore.

• Love 1

Yeah, what didn't ring true to me was the lack of freakout.  At that age, in that stage of their lives, another kid? Yeah, someone would have been freaking.  Given Dre's tendency to freak about EVERYTHING, it didn't seem right.

And this was a new ep, right? When did Charlie return?????

• Love 2

I am surprised by the baby reveal.  Not sure how I feel about that.  Just have to wait and see, I guess.

I was meh about the first half of the episode.  But by the time "Dr. Dre" arrived (to a Run-DMC song, alas, not a Dre song) the fun of the episode kicked in. Loved the scene of the Robitussin "tequila" shots and Junior's 'Going Wolf of Wall Street" line.

I also really enjoyed Ruby and Bow's scenes and am glad they dialed back on the animosity.  Ruby's obituary was a hoot and I am kinda ashamed that I immediately knew who Cyrus from the Real World was.  Sigh. 

I also think it is clever of the show to use Jenifer Lewis' actual background with "Beth" Midler to use as Ruby's backstory because they could actually show a scene from Beaches and there would be young Ruby.

• Love 11

So Dre's workplace downsizing has not been resolved yet? I missed the last couple of minutes of that episode (where Charlie returned) and then they never referenced any of Dre's anxiety, Wanda was gone, Charlie was back, and I just assumed that no one is getting canned anymore. Is that not so? Why did Dre stop freaking out then?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, shura said:

So Dre's workplace downsizing has not been resolved yet? I missed the last couple of minutes of that episode (where Charlie returned) and then they never referenced any of Dre's anxiety, Wanda was gone, Charlie was back, and I just assumed that no one is getting canned anymore.

Dre's company merged with Charlie's company, so I think that solved whatever financial problem was going on. I'm not sure what happened to Wanda. I don't think they said she was gone for good (maybe they did and I missed it); she just hasn't been there the last couple of episodes.

Tracee Ellis Ross does the best talking while crying of any actress since Mary Tyler Moore. And Bow has a first draft of Ruby's obituary. I like Ruby, but I understand.

I'm not crazy about adding a baby into the mix. It makes me think the nanny is going to be more of a presence and, UO, but I am not a fan of hers.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The only show I can think of is Family Ties, though I think they wrote it in because of Meridith Baxter's real life pregnancy. It happened in the third season. And the show went on for another six years.

Ugh, I hated that kid and his bowl cut.  Realizing that we are going to have to wait and see how this goes, I am not thrilled with this development.  For me, Diane is already at peak precocious sitcom kid, and adding another reason for her to be devious and jealous isn't going to help matters.  But again, we'll have to see how it plays out.  I knew as soon as she ran to the bathroom the last time that this was going to be the plan.And I agree, I am near to Bow and Dre's age, and I only have one kid and let me tell if I were Bow, my tears would not be of joy.  At least not at first.

Ruby's obituary was a hoot and I am kinda ashamed that I immediately knew who Cyrus from the Real World was.  Sigh.

That got a cackle out of me too.  Don't feel bad, I dropped Pedro and Sean into a conversation recently only to be met by blank stares.  Sigh, indeed.

• Love 6
(edited)
12 hours ago, msani19 said:

Although Dre & Bow watching the kids have a pillow fight in their sick fort, made me smile.

That made me tear up. So sweet.

6 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

Yeah, what didn't ring true to me was the lack of freakout.  At that age, in that stage of their lives, another kid? Yeah, someone would have been freaking.  Given Dre's tendency to freak about EVERYTHING, it didn't seem right.

It was probably tempered by Ruby's statement about starting new chapters, and Dre's post-child care high.

3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Dre's company merged with Charlie's company

What? When did that happen? I'm confused.

But about this ep, I enjoyed it. I'm glad Dre realized he needed to do things his way rather than being a mom substitute. 

Loved Ruby and Bow in bed together. First when Dre brings in Ruby, Bow is crying like a child about hating her, and Ruby just looks disoriented and completely out of it. So funny. Then sharing stories was great. It was a surprise when Ruby said she sees she might be the reason for their bad relationship. I sure hope that realization stays or at least softens her insults toward Bow. "I threw up twice, and I haven't even eaten any of your cooking."

Love Dre dreaming about Oprah. "So Stedman gonna work the camera, right?" And then all the scenes of him shooting the bleach bottle at people or areas then running away really cracked me up. I thought about bleach stains on clothes and furniture, but then just pushed that thought aside because of the surrealism this show has. I did wonder again, though, when Junior was getting infected by Jack, Junior's shirt looked like it had bleach stains on it. I guess that was just the style.

Loved Diane saying, "I don't feel good, Mommy. I'm weak." It sounded like a normal sick person statement, but we know that she had said you can't catch weakness.

Junior: Why would you undo all the good you've done? Don't Phantom Menace yourself.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6
(edited)

I still enjoy Dre's interactions with Charlie, Josh and Mr. Stevens.

But a huge part of the fun of Dre's office scenes is/was the interplay of Dre's various insane co-workers which has felt hollow since Curtis, Daphne and Lucy have all gone MIA.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, peeayebee said:
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Dre's company merged with Charlie's company

What? When did that happen? I'm confused.

(Oooh, if I highlight a quote and what it quoted, embedding is automatic. I am really liking these new boards.) The merge (or maybe it was a buyout; by 10:00, I am pretty sleepy) happened two weeks ago at the tag end of the episode right before the credits. That's why Charlie's back; he wasn't rehired, he just came with the other company.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, attica said:

Would it be wrong for me to adopt "I HAVE TO LIVE" into my own repertoire? I have no idea why that hit me so funny, but it did.

Attica, I had the same thought this morning waiting for the train.  Every time I think about I chuckle.

• Love 3

Dont get me wrong.  I love that Charlie is back but they need to do an episode on how he was allowed to come back.  Didnt that Wanda Sykes character fire him?  I cant stand Wanda Sykes so I'm not mad at all if she were to stop showing up.  I do wonder where "Black Nanny" went too.  I keep expecting her to show up in every episode.

Color me disappointed at the addition of a baby.  However, this show always managed to stay consistently funny, so if anybody can pull it off, its Blackish, so I'm on board.

Why isn't Jenifer Lewis (and all of the cast, really) sweeping up Emmies annually?  She slays.  No one I know watches this show, it's so underrated.  When she was talking about Beth Midler, I about fell out.  Cyrus from the Real World?  You are speaking my language, show.

Off topic, but my favorite Ruby moment ever is when she simply looked at Bow, said "Fuck you" (bleeped of course), and strolled out of the kitchen.  Anybody remember what episode that was?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, vmcd88 said:

I love that Charlie is back but they need to do an episode on how he was allowed to come back.  Didnt that Wanda Sykes character fire him?

No, she was going to fire him until Dre showed her that he had the highest account retention of anyone in the company, then she did her, "why would I fire Charlie, Dre? He has the highest account retention of anyone in the company!" thing. But since Dre had already warned Charlie that he was on the chopping block, Charlie decided they didn't value his work, so he quit and got a job elsewhere.

• Love 1

Whatever happened with the firms merging, they still keep making references to impending layoffs. So it's not settled yet. Maybe Dre will get laid off and turn into the stay at home parent for the new baby. They don't seem to have the nanny around much, but I guess they could also be doing this to give them more of a reason to increase her role.

• Love 1

When Bow interrupted her awesome bonding scene with Ruby to go throw up, I knew right then and there that she was going to be pregnant. And then the following scene of her wistfully flipping through photo albums I was like, "Yep, Blackish is doing the baby storyline" And then I sighed deeply and shook my head. This is not the move a pretty popular show does in its second season. We all know the baby storyline is trotted out when a show is on its last leg and they want to up the cute factor.

I'm not sure I really want to see the Johnson's navigate a new baby on board and all the hijinks that ensue.  

Also, I'm fairly certain Tracee Ellis Ross is NOT pregnant in real life.

• Love 4

Given the pregnancy scare episode a while back, I'm surprised the show would go this route. Bow and Dre made it clear they were done. What's with Dre saying he missed out on helping with the kids being sick? He left that to Bow the entire time? He seems more hands on than Pops. 

2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

He seems more hands on than Pops. 

Exactly.

Pops basically says that to Zoey, when she's complaining about Dre to Resheida, in 'Daddy's Day,' and in the episode before this one, Junior acknowledged that Andre was enough, verging on too much, for him.

So it's kind of weird that the show suddenly is trying to act as if Dre is a non-factor in the kid's lives due to his job.

On 5/12/2016 at 10:36 PM, Sparger Springs said:

Is she pregnant in real life? That is the only good reason I can think of for adding a baby to the show

I doubt TER is, but the creator's wife (also an anesthesiologist named Rainbow) is pregnant with their sixth kid. So I'm guessing it's because of that.

• Love 1

Was this episode the first time where noone was over the top ?  All interactions felt normal, ie could happen in my real life.  Not saying it was bad, just different

15 hours ago, kylies-lips said:

Also, I'm fairly certain Tracee Ellis Ross is NOT pregnant in real life.

When Bow asked Dre if she was too old to be pregnant (when they were in the sofa), I thought that was the actress asking an Executive Producer about the validity of this storyline...  

• Love 2