Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E01: A Little Too Much Beefcake

• Start Topic

Okay crying Justin can leave now. Stop it Justin. Just stop it.

I'm okay with TMZ leaving.

The dancers busy writing stuff down while they were waiting was a good idea though I confess I would have loved it if the question had been "what's your pilot's name?" Or "how many seafoam green houses did you see?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Season 2 was my favorite season ever.  So it was so good to see a total shout-out to it though I sure do miss that cast.  And somewhere Gutsy Granny Peggy is sitting back saying "See I told you guys you could die hang gliding above San Cornado beach.  But no I had to run off the cliff on my bad knee back in the day.  No wind excuses then."  Also remember her partner Clare saying something like climbing a thousand steps to Christ since all those teams saw the Christo Redemptor statue up close and personal but it was quite a hike up there to get their clue.  No fancy chopper ride for them.

Season 1 is in my top four (1, 2, 3 & 5 - the best ever!) so hi to Rob & Brennen.  Brennen would show up anywhere at any reality gathering but I think this is the first time Rob has come forward in years.

Didn't teams have to play volleyball against Brazilians in TAR2? I am dutifully impressed by the cousins getting six points, though I would like to know how long they had to compete. I would've sucked at that.  ...

Gary is that you, haha.  ("There are a few sports I'm not so good at and apparently volleyball is one of them").  Yeah Brazil style beach volleyball was a FF task in TAR2.  Two teams went for it against teams of Brazilians and twin brothers Shola & Doyin beat Gary & Dave.  Fortunately in the original version we weren't forced to see Gary dressed down in tighty whitey shorts.  He would have made the pale-skinned doctor this season look like a bronzed and buffed surfer dude in comparison.

The doctor kept speaking in Spanish to the locals but isn't Portuguese the native language in Brazil?

Well most people don't speak Portuguese and a lot of people do speak Spanish and they are cousin languages.  People in Brazil that only speak Portuguese can normally understand enough Spanish to get your gist at the very least and usually a lot more than the mere gist.  And far far more than using English for sure.  So props to the doc. 

ETA: I can't remember the last time we got a Fast Forward this early. Was there a FF in TAR26? Aside from "Free Blair," I'm drawing a blank.

Well technically there are Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 where there was a FF in every leg except the last.  Then they destroyed the fun and strategy of the FF starting in Season 5 demoting it to what we have now. 

I don't blame the Green Team for going for it though since if there had been milder winds it almost guaranteed whoever used it would finish first and get that stupid but powerful express pass thing.  Also the winds wouldn't have been as strong down at the clue box so I can see why they didn't take into consideration that the winds would be strong enough to prevent them from using the FF.  Glad they survived.  Love to see super fans of the show make it on over the endless mactor teams.  And any super fan worth their salt would be in tears at the thought of going out on the very first leg.

Someone asked why people were jumping in the water after Green won the first flight.  There was no other way to get off.  The water paddle bike things were beached when they started so no problem.  But they had to disembark at a dock.  The bike area sat way back on some sort of pontoons so I imagine it would be impossible at the dock to walk down one of those pontoons without the thing tipping and tossing you into the drink anyway.

Also the Alabama mother and son never ever said they didn't talk "for years."  They said either "for some time" or "for a time."  That could be hours or days or weeks or months.  I seriously doubt even a month given how producers on this show like to milk a story line to the limits and beyond.

About the cab fare.  If you can talk a cabbie into taking you for free it is fine.  But if the cabbie wants his money you have to pay him no matter what.  Chip in TAR5 either couldn't pay in full or at all for one ride in I think maybe the UAE and the cabbie was okay with it.  When you get a kind cabbie it can make you like a hard-nosed, all business one can break you.

Edited by green
  • Love 6

The green hat guy annoyed me because of the whining and crying, but also because of the green hat.

This.  Yes.   He looked like some drunken Irish-wannabe at a bar on St. Patrick's Day.   His blubbering only cemented that impression.

Glad TMZ is gone.  Hated the blatant product placement.   Leads me to wonder if those two were actually chosen via audition or was it the result of some publicist's phone call.  Had they remained in the race, TMZ would have enjoyed a 1-hr weekly advertisement on network television

• Love 6

Yes, in past seasons, they were always supposed to pay their cab drivers before hitting the mat.

They showed Justin saying "this is how much money we have; is it enough to get us to Copacabana?" And the cabbie agreeing. Then I'm guessing they ran to the Mat; Tanner/Josh did.

It was interesting to see that it took [Team TMZ] 3 plus hours to finish [the puzzle]

It was more than interesting to me... it was incomprehensible. How do you make a sliding-block puzzle with so few pieces last that long? I suppose I'm a lousy judge because I like to do that sort of puzzle for fun, but it's just not that hard. Especially as they had a fixed border provided to show how the pattern fits around the edge. 

The cheerleaders got hit with a big dose of karma, didn't they?  They started off talking about how cheerleaders are such great athletes, but they're ALSO really smart, because one of them has a Master's in something or other.  Then, they go play volleyball, suck at it, and start to cry.  So they switch tasks to the puzzle challenge, suck at it, and start to cry. LOL

I'm a terrible person, because I enjoyed the hell out of exactly that. I would be even worse at the volleyball, no question, but I also wouldn't have been bragging in advance about how great I'll be at it. As for the puzzle, see above; I get that everyone does different stuff for fun, but it doesn't take a Master's degree to match the pattern around the edge.

About the cab fare.  If you can talk a cabbie into taking you for free it is fine.  But if the cabbie wants his money you have to pay him no matter what....  When you get a kind cabbie it can make you like a hard-nosed, all business one can break you.

I imagine it helped that (a) there seemed to be an abundance of taxis available, so if one cabbie insisted on his fare, you could just apologize and move on to ask the next, and (b) the person asking for a free ride had a TV crew of two behind him. As the distance wasn't super-long in this case, one cabbie out of ten might well figure "Maybe I'll get on TV, or there might be a surprise reward or something, or at least it's something different... worth the risk."

• Love 1
About the cab fare.  If you can talk a cabbie into taking you for free it is fine.  But if the cabbie wants his money you have to pay him no matter what.  Chip in TAR5 either couldn't pay in full or at all for one ride in I think maybe the UAE and the cabbie was okay with it.  When you get a kind cabbie it can make you like a hard-nosed, all business one can break you..
They showed Justin saying "this is how much money we have; is it enough to get us to Copacabana?" And the cabbie agreeing. Then I'm guessing they ran to the Mat; Tanner/Josh did

Actually they took a cab to the mat.  Not sure if it was the same one or if they convinced another driver for a freebie.  In any case I wouldn't be surprised if after agreeing to drive for nothing and after the ride production actually compensated them.  

I wonder why the cheerleaders' cab dumped them at a random spot at the beach rather than taking them to the specified place?

Not sorry about TMZ getting cut.  Anyone who can't spell Siobhan should be eliminated.  (Just kidding.)

It was a different start with Phil telling the racers where the first destination was rather than having it in a clue.  Plus the racers must have already put their bags in the waiting cabs.  I wondered why the change?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

Actually, from what I recall, the racers didn't get their backpacks (and let's not forget their fitbits!) until after the water bike race when they got their first clue from Phil. I wondered myself, when they got into the cabs, where their giant backpacks were. But they couldn't have them on the pontoon bikes, so when they hit the wharf, there they were.

• Love 2

I wondered that too. I figured Phil would say something at the mat but he never did. Don't they have to settle

up with the cab before they can check in?

They'd begged their cab driver to help them.  The cab driver drove them for free once their money ran out. 

I know someone who is related to the mother-son team.  From what I understand the mom was shocked when he came out to her and didn't speak to him for about a month, then for the next few months, they didn't speak a lot with each other. From what I understand they still were not speaking all that often until they were picked for the show, but part of that was that he was at UAB so they weren't in the same town and he was very busy in med school (or dental school or whatever it was). I don't think he lives in his home town anymore.

This is as close as I will probably ever come to having any type of connection to any of the teams so I hope they hang in there for a few more episodes at least. Also I am slightly older than his mom, and I like for us old folks to do well against the youngsters. And I didn't like the reference the TMZ gals made about the pink team giving them the "Norman Bates" vibe.  (At least I think it was team TMZ that said it).

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_mother-son_duo_to_comp.html

• Love 4

I'm sorry to see team TMZ go. But with all the screen time they had in the fist 1/2 of the episode it was pretty easy to see that one coming. I liked their snark. And I liked that their reason for not wanting to be the first team eliminated was not some sob story (I need the money to feed my kids, blah blah blah that we've seen in the past), but the all too real "our co-workers will never let us live this down". But there was no team I was rooting for to lose, so I guess they're as good as anyone to go first.

• Love 8

Wasn't all that surprised by the outcome since TMZ mentioned them coming in last awhile back.

Doesn't THAT spoiler come with a price tag, or was Harvey able to get Kelly and Shevonne off the hook? #HesALawyer

While I'm not sad to see TMZ go, I would rather have seen the cheerleaders gone.  They annoyed me from the start line with their lime-green legwarmers.

I think #TeamCheerleaders are the next to go 

• Love 2

Not a bad start, and I like the all-new team format, but...

Why the hastags after team member names instead of description of how they relate to each other? (Disclaimer: I missed the first few minutes of the show, which I didn't expect to start exactly on time, because I was in the kitchen trying to open a bottle of wine... and still don't know who are cousins, friends, siblings, dating, just colleagues, or colleagues and dating, married, etc.).

Green team (self-proclaimed superfans) annoyed, don't you really know that the race is never over until the fat lady sings/Phil shows up mid task, or is is that important to you to be first that you start crying when you see the possibility of being first slip away? (If you indeed are superfans, you should know that even showing up last at a task, which you didn't, is not the kiss of death - jeez people...) Is there any bone in your body that will enjoy the experience or will you (male part of the team) keep going on and on about how as a superfan you are, yadda, yadda, and not enjoy a minute of this amazing experience, and force me to root against you?   

Also, not a fan of Phil's skeevy side - what is so gorgeous, the scenery or the greeter? Yes Phil, we can see that she is gorgeous, do you really think you have to lay it so thick for us to see it? 

• Love 3

Good season premiere. I think the casting is a bit too gimmicky (TMZ, New Anchors, gay son and Mom, Little People, Homeless Guys, Cheerleaders, Obsessed Superfans) but there seem to be plenty of likable racers and some that will be fun to hate.

As a Jets fan I had to root for the cheerleaders. I found them a bit annoying but I don't think they seemed stupid as some say. They caught bad breaks with the cabs, couldn't do the volleyball and struggled with the slide puzzle like everyone else. (I love puzzles, but slide puzzles are the DEVIL!) They whined a bit, but they hung in there and survived. J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!

I really like the track stars. They are athletic, have positive attitudes and seem smart.

The little people were amazing in the volleyball and I like them a lot. I think the Homeless Dancer's "Don't underestimate the little people." should have been the title quote.

I also like the Homeless Dancers.

The Texans are OK. They look like a strong team and seem like decent enough people.

The Doctors were mildly annoying, but not terrible.

Not sad to see the TMZ girls go. I had mixed feelings about their snark. It was a bit mean but it was also funny and I don't think the meant it personally. The Bates Motel crack was the meannest and funniest and while hyperbole sort of rang true.

I can't stand the Green Team, well Justine...I mean Justin anyway. His obsession with getting the Express Pass no matter the risk was foolish. If you get it great, but don't risk elimination, especially when you are already in 1st place and could win without doing the Fast Foward. His defeatist attitude and crying on the way back from the FF made me want to vomit. (You can turn in your man card at the front desk). They hadn't lost anything at that point. It would be a like a QB crying because his team was down 10-0 in the first quarter. Suck it up and catch up!

• Love 4

While I'm not sad to see TMZ go, I would rather have seen the cheerleaders gone. They annoyed me from the start line with their lime-green legwarmers.

Hey! Don't bad mouth Gang Green! The cheerleaders are going to win TAR and then the Jets will win the Super Bowl! :)

I stopped disliking the cheerleaders when I noticed they had put a water bottle cap (or something similar) on one of the puzzle pieces. I was wondering if they were allowed to put markers or pieces of paper on them so they might be easier to sort once the racers figured out where each piece should go.

• Love 2

Yeah, they had rocks on a couple of pieces as well as the orange bottle cap.  I agree, that was clever.

I am always much more tolerant of puzzle tasks on Survivor than a lot of commenters, but I have to say, a slide puzzle whose pieces are all basically similar and all have a pattern of pale gray and dirty white is not that exciting to watch.  If you're trying to spell out some dopey Survivor motto, at least viewers can see how close you are by how garbled the message is.  With this, it was either correct gray and white, or slightly off gray and white.  And it did not help my viewing enjoyment to get cross-board shots down cheerleaders' cleavages or whatever.  I just rolled my eyes.  

I will say that now I fully expect not to blank on the name of that statue when I do Sporcle (online trivia) quizzes.  For some reason I always write "Christ of the Andes," because I don't particularly remember that this statue is in Rio and therefore nowhere near the Andes.  At least now it's solidly in my brain.

I'm generally pretty forgiving of establishing interviews, especially early on ("We don't have a home to go back to!") because I figure they are prompted by producer questions.  I'll even forgive Justin's labile reactions due to the first-episode superfan excitement, but I hope he calms down a bit.  His partner's fine, so I don't want to hate the entire time just because he was being a little wacky.

• Love 4

I would prefer the TMZ women staying over the cheerleaders. I liked the humor of the TMZ women and was totally over the cheerleaders when one of them stated that she had always gotten every thing she wanted and was dismayed that they didn't win the volleyball game and were not doing well at the puzzle.

• Love 3

My handbasket's been packed for quite some time, so I'll admit to a snorting bark of laughter at the Norman Bates quip - it was idiot-savant level of eeevil.  I suppose I should feel much guiltier than I do for my outburst (and the idiot-savant slam to TMZ staffers I've never even watched), but I just cannot seem to muster the appropriate shame at the moment  ...

I am SO happy to have this show back.  My Friday nights are looking better than the I-don't-know-their-names-yet-teams.

• Love 4

Yay!  I'm so happy non-gimmicky TAR is back.  Unfortunately I missed a good deal of the episode because of a cold-induced fugue, so I need to go back and do a rewatch.

Based on the bios and the few bits I caught last night, Ernest and Jin are my favorites.  I don't even remember seeing Kelsey and Joey but they came off as likable in their q&A on the CBS site.

I agree about whiny Justin and his stupid hat.  I hate it almost as much as Ian's asshat (though at least Ian grew on me).

Not too broken up over the TMZ women getting cut, but wish it had been the cheerleaders instead.

Rio de Janeiro is so beautiful, but at the same time so heartbreaking.  Those shanties clinging to the side of the mountain ...

Season 2 was my favorite season ever.  ... Also remember her partner Clare saying something like climbing a thousand steps to Christ since all those teams saw the Christo Redemptor statue up close and personal but it was quite a hike up there to get their clue.  No fancy chopper ride for them.

Mine, too!  Wil going at that ice block with a torch, pick, and chainsaw will never not be one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.  I'll also never forget when one of the grandmothers got up to the top of the stairs and put her arms out, just like the Redeemer statue.  Good times!

This makes me so nostalgic for the first few seasons.  GSN used to show them years ago and we'd watch them over and over again, even season 6 with HWSNBN and KKKendra!

• Love 2

I get why anyone would be emotional about having made a mistake that might not only cost you first place, but also put you in last-- on the first leg, moreover. It's disappointing and humiliating and your adrenaline is through the roof. Also, I have no problem with the color green, and am not sure what color hat is acceptable to more people, but I'm not annoyed by Justin and his silent partner yet. He wasn't self-pitying, he took responsibility right away, and he's probably very aware of how the internet hordes will mock people who go out on a non-forced error, so.... Also, honestly, I like that he's not a polished mactor. Real people, real fans getting cast is always more fun for me than camera-polished people who never lose their cool because they essentially don't care about the experience and are only there to get exposure.

Much more annoyed by the Boys Who Plan To Flirt-- I never like those teams. And AlphaDoc who was shushing he DoctorSpouse because... why? He wasn't even good at the puzzle, so why did he think she should be given no shot at making a contribution?

Loved seeing short people win at soccer/volleyball. I admit I thought they were nuts to choose that task, but obviously I don't know what I'm talking about. Also, how awesome was it to see the no-hands players playing?

I can't tell the track stars apart. I thought they were twins, but apparently it's just a grooming/wardrobe trick?

TMZ was less annoying to me than I expected, but that's damning with faint praise.

Hated Phil goading the racers to be sleazeballs toward the greeter. Sometimes I think Phil is only as beloved as he is because for a long time he mostly didn't get to speak off-script.

I think it's interesting that the one dancer doesn't want to show any skin. I'm sure he's ripped, dancers always have great bodies. So it's interesting that he doesn't want to flaunt it.

Making the Express Pass holder give it to another team after they use it is quite a wrinkle! I wonder if teams will choose not to use it so as not to help a competitor. Also, I like that they have to get rid of it by leg 5, not 8. 8 was way too late.

• Love 9

Loved Phil having to come find TMZ.    I thought they only did that in extreme circumstances, not just because only one team left.

I think sometimes the "extreme circumstance" is just "we really want to get Phil on the next plane out of here."

I know!  It's unfortunate that this show has gone the way of Survivor and Big Brother, where women seem to be cast by how good they'll look in a bikini.  I'm sure it's a deterrent to people like you and me who have no interest in jiggling around in a bikini for the world to observe.  The puzzle inadvertently showed quite a few female crotch close ups.

I did like the TMZ comment about sun cancer and late into the puzzle she was covered up.  That would be me.  I wouldn't be THRILLED by the idea of my middle-aged self parading about in the white bikini, but I'd deal with it.  But that much sun exposure for so long would have me really, really antsy and desperately needing some really good sun protection.  Because my dermatologist has scared me straight.

The little people were amazing in the volleyball and I like them a lot. I think the Homeless Dancer's "Don't underestimate the little people." should have been the title quote.

I also like the Homeless Dancers.

Hanging my head in shame:  I underestimated the cousins.

Them:  We're doing volleyball.

Me:  REALLY?

Well... good volleyball players are normally really tall, aren't they?  Anyway...

A lot of the teams said stuff I found hyper-annoying, so we'll see what happens once we get past that early-interview stuff.  Anyone who says they're going to use flirting as a strategy or that they're using their time on the race to made decisions about their relationship is immediately on my bad list.  Or if you're paparazzi.  If that's your career choice I know I don't like you.  I don't care for the Mom because something about the way she was so excited with the cab driver screamed "overcompensation so you don't think I'm xenophobic".  

The cousins are probably my favorites.  I like the dancers, but I'd like them even more if the shorter one didn't have stupid chin hair (yes, I realize I have a problem), I like the way they used their waiting time for trying to get ahead of the question, but their hesitancy in answering with Christ the Redeemer makes me worry that they're both overthinking and may not have race smarts.  I'd hate to end up in a footrace with the track stars (they seem likable, too).  I want to root for Team Green, but he's making it really hard. 

• Love 1

Looking down at Rio, it was amazing, but I laughed when the dancers were saying this is the ghetto, probably because of the overcrowding.

The taxi driver then said favela which is indeed a Brazilian ghetto or slum, so the dancers were correct. They seem like dudes who are aware and paying attention, I like that.

I've watched very few full seasons of TARUS, and I knew the wind at the Fast Forward was going to be a problem. This team are superfans? Though I never mock my fellow frustration criers on these shows, that would totally be me. Especially since it was a situation of his own making. That's the most frustrating kind!

Watching Kelly and Shevonne fail to grasp the entire point of a slide puzzle for four hours was also frustrating, wow. "If we move these two pieces it'll ruin everything!" Yes, dears, that's the challenge. You're supposed to start thinking a few moves ahead, instead of spending all afternoon wishing you were doing a completely different kind of puzzle.

• Love 3

I feel like I have to stick up for Shevonne and Kelly since they're my favourite part of TMZ.  The Norman Bates comment really came across as producer prodding. Like they wanted them to say something snarky.  It felt very "dance, monkey, dance!" especially from Shevonne, who while cutting isn't normally the type to make a Norman Bates reference.  The comment just didn't seem like her and it felt very forced and desperate for a gag.  Kelly, on the other hand, is notorious for her wicked mouth.  In fact they don't let her do TMZ Live very often simply because she has no filter.  You saw a bit of that when she was trying to do the puzzle-- the f-bombs were flying.  Neither girl is really a "comedian" type on the show. There are others on TMZ who are actual, working comedians part time.  Shevonne in particular is shoe-horned in simply for the "girly" news bits that revolve around Scandal or the Bachelor/ette since she obsessively watches those shows. 

To me their downfall at the puzzle seemed to stem from Kelly unwilling to give up the task to Shevonne.  I feel like Shevonne is the cooler headed of the two, but Kelly, who kept asking for her help, didn't let her help.  I think that if Shevonne had been able to work at it on her own for a few minutes she might've solved it. But Kelly seemed determined and frustrated and unwilling to relinquish the task to Shevonne. 

The fact that they are one of the few teams in TAR history to be greeted at the mat by Phil for elimination had to be a bitter pill to swallow.  I'm glad they found the humour in it though. 

• Love 3

I felt an affinity for the track stars, the cousins, and the dancers. I get the frustration of the superfans, and I feel like they could grow on me. She gave off a bit of an  TAR26 Aly vibe to me (just her energy), but his kelly green just made me think of Rachel's tights :6 ew. 

The Texans were as alpha as their promo pictures made me believe they would be; not interesting to watch. I do like the Express Pass wrinkle. Team Chac disappointed me with their dynamics. 

Rio was clearly the star of the episode! I would have a hard time working on the slide puzzle with a partner... I would probably have chosen volleyball. 

• Love 1

Thrilled that TAR is back, loved the first destination and the tasks, but....

OMG, the casting this season!  What. The. Hell.

We have at least THREE teams (off the top of my head) from the media: dating local TV "news" people (i.e., vacuous blow-dried cardboard cutouts who can read a teleprompter); papparazzi (aka the scum of the earth) and the blessedly-now-gone talentless shallow snipes from TMZ (basically papparazzi wanna-be's who are too lazy to chase celebrities and too dumb to learn how to use a camera). 

In other words, out of 22 people, we started with six who are media-savvy and would be playing to the cameras all season.  Ugh.

At least 3 more teams could be classified as "performers" --  the cheerleaders, the street dancers and yet another "Youtube sensation" (though at least this one is TAR-related).  And it sounded like one of the cousins is also a stage actor, perhaps professionally (though this was left unclear).

Is there ANYONE on this show anymore who isn't a media personality or recruited by the producers? 

Sadly, it does take some of the fun out of the proceedings.

And yes, it's rare for Phil to be so distracted by a greeter's appearance -- but that woman was ridiculously beautiful.  Actually, it was kinda fun to see the normally unflappable Phil lose it a little. 

There was a huge sigh of relief in the Gummo household when it became clear TMZ was leaving.  We couldn't have stood their junior-high-school-level insults much longer. 

My only clear favorite so far are the cousins (I think they're cousins -- the two guys with the mild dwarfism?).  I was surprised that I didn't hate Team Beefcake (yet). 

Early favorites for elimination:  the news anchors, the paparrazi, annoying Alabama mom (though her son can stick around).

Annoying cast or not, let the games begin!

ETA:  I would have sucked at either challenge!  MIght have been able to squeak by on the puzzle, though.

Edited by Gummo
  • Love 4

I agree; I would have been out when they handed it to me. And everyone was wearing it! Even the lovely Brazilian young lady at the pit stop. Is there something I don't know about white bikinis in Brazil?

I liked the dancers, but I hope they get past their disadvantaged background. They have some good survival strategies, I think, and they need a little self-esteem to go with them. I liked the small guys, as well (are they little people? They seem tall for that designation).

People expect their parents to be heroes, instead of simply accepting that parents are fallible, human beings.

Brazil frequently claims they have the most beautiful women in the world, so I suppose that explains the Brazilian greeter's outfit.

The cousins have Pseudoachondroplasia.  Achondroplasia is the most common type of dwarfism - think of the dad and kids on The Little Couple, or Zach and Amy Roloff.  "Pseudo" is typically not diagnosed until a child becomes a toddler, because they don't have the distinctive large heads of Achons.  If the cousins are truly five feet tall, they're about a foot taller than is typical for their type of dwarfism.

The doctor kept speaking in Spanish to the locals but isn't Portuguese the native language in Brazil?

They're very similar.  My cousin's wife is Brazilian.  When they met, he spoke decent Spanish from growing up with a South American mother, and his wife knew only Portuguese.

• Love 2

The taxi driver then said favela which is indeed a Brazilian ghetto or slum, so the dancers were correct. They seem like dudes who are aware and paying attention, I like that.

Thank you.  While the rich and beautiful play on the beach the people piled in the shantys are  shockingly poor. I'm glad they were aware too as well as the show.

I really just wanted a couple of episodes with TMZ.  My take on the Norman Bates comment is that they went a shot of his face and the hair and face shape did look like Norman Bates for a second.  I can't imagine they were making any judgment about his personality having just met.  If anything, they probably picked up on the overbearing mom more.  Put that together with the face and there you go.  I didn't take it as mean.

Still, you know TMZ spent no time doing swimming, running and climbing training, let alone puzzles.  Count me in among those who think sliding puzzles are a horror, especially ones without words as clues. 

I'm also with some of you on the obnoxious green hat.  I hope he loses it.  It seems to be a thing now on reality shows where people try to stand out by wearing one piece of annoying clothing all the time. They know it's annoying but they think they'll be remembered. The kids on MC Jr even do it.

I usually try to watch the show a second time because I miss things like the neck pillow but no DVR and last time I checked CBS makes you pay for access online these days. 

I was so happy for the little people cousins winning the volley soccer game. 

• Love 3

It's so amazing to have the race back. I love this show. Here are my thoughts on this year's contestants in the first episode and power rankings from who I like from best to worst based on first impressions:

1) Alex and Adam-These guys are my favorite team because Adam is from where I currently live. I'm rooting for him and think it would be awesome if little people could win TAR. I was really impressed with them completing the volleyball task against the Brazilian soccer players. It didn't seem like that difficult of a task to me being 6-3. I would just spike it, but they didn't have that option and still were able to win. They've probably been overcoming obstacles like that their entire lives and that's so inspiring.

2)  Kelly and Shevonne-OMG! There's nothing more I love than salacious and juicy gossip, and, therefore, I love TMZ. I love everyone on that show including Kelly and Shevonne. I was so excited to see them on this and was sorry to see them go because I find them extremely watchable due to their snark. I thought it was hilarious that Phil was sent over to put them out of their misery. The fact that he had enough time between when the last team arrived at the pit stop to mosey on over there was funny to me. Kudos to them for completing the puzzle even if it took hours., But, yes, they're going to take so much shit from the other correspondents at TMZ. I loved how they said they were headed to the bar after dying in the sun in front of America.

3) Ernest and Jin-These guys seem really cool. It would be awesome if two black guys could win TAR. Their backstory about being homeless street performers is pretty cool too. It would be an unbelievably emotional journey if they could go from homeless to TAR winners, and I'm sure the producers will belabor that point throughout the season.

4) Tiffany and Krista-I tuned in just to watch Jackie last season because I think she's really beautiful, and the cheerleaders are my eye candy this season. Kudos to them for solving the puzzle and making the snarky TMZ kids eat crow.

5) Jazmine and Danielle-it would be cool if a black-female team could take TAR and these athletes could definitely do it. If it comes down to a foot race at the end, they got it bagged. They seem cool enough so far.

6) Kelsey and Joey-I'm pretty indifferent about the news reporters so far. I feel TAR will put their relationship through the ringer and it could be quite difficult to continue to work together if things go awry. We've seen TAR bring the best and worst out in people and hopefully their relationship can survive this test.

7) Cindy and Rick-I like Cindy just fine, but Rick is kind of a tool. My initial impression is that she's too good for him. I think she's stunning. I hope he doesn't talk down to her the entire race. I didn't think the way he was talking to her was that bad, but Cindy claimed he was talking to her like she was one of his nurses. There always seems to be a couple where either the guy or girl degrades their partner in the spirit of competition. I hope that's not the case here because it's annoying to watch.

8) Denise and James-As mentioned upthread, the mom-gay son tandem has been overdone on TAR, but it would be cool if they could mend fences during the race and for the mom to redeem herself in the eyes of her son. I thought Denise looked great in her swimsuit.

9) Logan and Chris-This team seems nice enough, but I just wish they'd get real jobs. Paparazzi? Come on now. Of course without them I don't get my juicy gossip.

10) Tanner and Josh-I'm extremely unfortunate looking, so I'm jealous of these beefcakes. They seem to be frontrunners, but I hope these pretty boys get lost and lose next week.It'll be interesting to see if they put the moves on the cheerleaders.

11) Justin and Diana-There's no crying on TAR! Seriously, is this guy gonna cry the entire time? I know he's a superfan and didn't want to be eliminated in the first week, but get a grip, dude. It's too early to freak out and there are plenty of bad teams left who will stumble somewhere. It was hilarious when they cut to him crying again at the pit stop. I feel bad for his partner. I think I'd much prefer a partner who just accepts the screw up and moves on instead of dwelling on the mistake.

ETA: Brazil is so beautiful. I wanna go there ASAP. I liked the puzzle and volleyball detours. They seemed to provide an option for both athletes and scholars (of course the TMZ team turned out to be neither) and seemed pretty commensurate in terms of difficulty. I would've definitely chosen the volleyball and just hope the Brazilian volleysoccer players made enough mistakes to get 6 points.. I think the name of that game was just getting it over the net and hoping they'd kick it into the net or out of bounds enough times.

Edited by jmonkey
  • Love 4
Hated Phil goading the racers to be sleazeballs toward the greeter. Sometimes I think Phil is only as beloved as he is because for a long time he mostly didn't get to speak off-script.

I just always sadly assumed this was the new script--kind of like all the Project Runway judges got a lot meaner when they switched networks.  I figured producers wanted more of this nudge-nudge crap from poor ol' Phil.  I don't.

It's not like he does a lot of that in areas where he can speak freely, as far as I can tell....not that I am a religious Twitter follower or whatever.

• Love 2

I think Ernest and Jin are the team I will most enjoy watching.  It seems like they are in awe of the experience.  I also like that they do not fit the usual teams we see. 

I was both surprised and delighted that Alex and Adam chose to do volleyball.  They may be at a disadvantage for some tasks, but they bring a great attitude to the race. 

Disappointing how quickly the green team had a meltdown.  They are supposed to be our representatives as super fans and he fell apart emotionally right from the start.  I hope it’s just a fluke and they are able to pull it back together.  As fans, they could be more interesting to watch.  At least they’ve probably prepped for the common tasks (or so I hope).

I hate slide puzzles.  Always have.  Always will.   However, I now like them a little because it took out team TMZ.  I hate TMZ both on principle and in practice.  The talking heads from the blond TMZer were obnoxious.  I am happy to see the back of her.  Having her nasty and disparaging comments continue during the race would have brought the whole show down.  Bye Felicia!

• Love 10

Thank you.  While the rich and beautiful play on the beach the people piled in the shantys are  shockingly poor. I'm glad they were aware too as well as the show.

I remember being moved when Luke broke down crying at the site of children in extreme poverty.  It was quite the contrast to the pageant queen sniping that they should just stop breeding.

• Love 4

Fuck TMZ!

Fuck the guy who created it!

Fuck those two for being anywhere near my Amazing Race!

"Too much beefcake".  Not enough beefcake, if you ask me! 

I'm glad those cheerleaders beat their asses at the puzzle. 

Three goddamn hours and Phil had to come tell those two morons "Stop.  Just...just stop.  You're not moving on.  It's been three hours since the last check in and my feet hurt."

Cancer on society, those two were.  CANCER ON SOCIETY!

I'M MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 3

I did like the TMZ comment about sun cancer and late into the puzzle she was covered up.  That would be me.  I wouldn't be THRILLED by the idea of my middle-aged self parading about in the white bikini, but I'd deal with it.  But that much sun exposure for so long would have me really, really antsy and desperately needing some really good sun protection.  Because my dermatologist has scared me straight.

Yes, I could almost feel my skin turning red and crispy, out in the sun like that!

Why the hashtags after team member names instead of description of how they relate to each other? (Disclaimer: I missed the first few minutes of the show, which I didn't expect to start exactly on time, because I was in the kitchen trying to open a bottle of wine... and still don't know who are cousins, friends, siblings, dating, just colleagues, or colleagues and dating, married, etc.).

IIRC, the hashtags were used last season also.  I think it's just a thing to do at this point.

Glad to have the show back.  I, too, was not sorry about Team TMZ's early out.  Rio is amazingly beautiful, but I'm sure not all of it is as pretty as much of what we saw.

"Too much beefcake".  Not enough beefcake, if you ask me! 

Yea this season doesn't have any beefcake or eyecandy this season. Usually they have at least one cute guy but not this season. I'm not saying the guys this season are ugly but none of them have that wow he's so cute or hot appeal.

Maybe our opinions will change on te green team, remember how mean we were to Jim & Misti a.k.a. Team Dentist? Then as the show progressed we seen how cool and collected they really were and they were actually a great team who didn't fold under pressure. I took everything back that I said about Team Dentist, because they really do seem like good people. Unlike Defeatist Brooke and Shelley & Nici.

• Love 4

Oh! I can't remember which team it was but one of the guys yelled out "USA!" after finishing the footbally detour and I found it gross.

Especially given the fact that the Brazilian players couldn't use their HANDS and had to get more points. Those idiots should have been embarrassed, not gloating USA!

• Love 3

That first flight ticket was a mixed blessing. It's almost always dangerous to be on a flight by yourself.

Justin was getting on my last nerve. It was a pleasure watching him deflate when he discovered they couldn't do the FF. It would have served him right if they actually had come in last. Can anyone explain how he had money for the cab ride to the pit stop when he couldn't afford the whole fare for the ride to the detour?

I don't know if it's the color or his behavior but he comes across like  a male Rachel of Brenchel fame 

• Love 6

As a Jets fan I had to root for the cheerleaders. I found them a bit annoying but I don't think they seemed stupid as some say. They caught bad breaks with the cabs, couldn't do the volleyball and struggled with the slide puzzle like everyone else. (I love puzzles, but slide puzzles are the DEVIL!)

Seriously!  Why is everyone so down on them so early?  I'd be behaving just like they did if I'd had the cab luck they did!

3) Ernest and Jin-These guys seem really cool. It would be awesome if two black guys could win TAR. Their backstory about being homeless street performers is pretty cool too. It would be an unbelievably emotional journey if they could go from homeless to TAR winners, and I'm sure the producers will belabor that point throughout the season.

5) Jazmine and Danielle-it would be cool if a black-female team could take TAR and these athletes could definitely do it. If it comes down to a foot race at the end, they got it bagged. They seem cool enough so far.

8) Denise and James-As mentioned upthread, the mom-gay son tandem has been overdone on TAR

3. The highest a black men's team has finished has been second place.  Flight Time & Big Easy, aka the Globetrotters, finished second in season eighteen after previously finishing fourth, just one elimination from the final leg, in season fifteen.

5. However, it sounds like you're relatively new to the show.  A black women's team has won the race before -- two sisters named Kisha & Jen, also in season eighteen, after previously finishing fourth in season fourteen, also one elimination from the final leg.  They were the second women's team to win, directly following the amazing Nat & Kat from season seventeen, and would be followed by the third women's team, Amy & Maya, in season twenty-five.

8. I'll take credit for saying that hook's been overdone.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 3

I would prefer the TMZ women staying over the cheerleaders. I liked the humor of the TMZ women and was totally over the cheerleaders when one of them stated that she had always gotten every thing she wanted and was dismayed that they didn't win the volleyball game and were not doing well at the puzzle.

She also said that she has never lost at anything before. The only way you never lose at anything is of you don't compete at anything. And she obviously likes to compete.

So she is either a liar or deluded, enough for me to want her to lose as soon as possible.

• Love 1
I don't know if it's the color or his behavior but he comes across like  a male Rachel of Brenchel fame

But Rachel used to whine and cry about how everything was too hard and she didn't want to be there anymore and boo hoo self-pity. Green Hat was saying he'd screwed up and he was upset because he didn't want to leave and he was blaming himself. I think they're the opposite of each other. Also, I always thought Rachel was crying as a manipulative technique and way to get attention from her partner, and Justin was just leaking his upset, not begging for sympathy.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 7

The good: Weepy Justin being the only racer to speak Portuguese. 

The bad: Underwhelming overall product compared to the penultimate leg of Unfinished Business much less the first 1.5 episodes of S2, as well as even the premiere of the latest Canadian season. 

The ugly: At least one person from every team that wasn't either African-American or parent-kid, aforementioned Teary Boy included.  

Innertube/BonusVid Digest (Where's Lingo?!): Danielle of #TheTrackstars teased Jazmine for hating the accumulated sand under her outfit following the Starting Line Task, #TheDancers recognized 80s realness even as it takes on the form of aircraft, #TeamAL fell behind #AsianSpouses because the former lost time trying and failing to board a taxi in their bathing suits, and #TheCheerleaders being the team most likely to be mistaken for locals got lampshaded at the greeter's expense.  

...I usually try to watch the show a second time because I miss things like the neck pillow but no DVR and last time I checked CBS makes you pay for access online these days.....

The most recent 2-3 episodes of each program are free to watch on cbs.com.  The Access charge kicks in when you want to watch older episodes.  Just click through all the ad banners/hype/promos and click on "Full Episodes". 

• Love 1