Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: Mad Dash Mayhem

• Start Topic

I was also hoping the judges would say something about David Giampiccolo's dress.  OMG, it looked like something an elderly alien ambassador would wear on Star Trek.   Holy moley was that a piece of crap.

To be fair, though, the dress I thought was the worst was that shapeless blue/grey thing with the pockets. It was a potato sack made from three patterns that did NOT work well with each other. How that avoided the bottom three is beyond me.

Well, there you go:  strokes/folks.  I didn't see the blue/grey block piece until the runway and I said, "WAIT!" 

I've gone up, down and sideways in sizes between 4 and 24 with a closet full of vintage, long, rich, mismatchy earth toned Kusnadi jackets.  They've either disguised me or accented my somewhat dramatic . . .aesthetic <sorry> . . . at every stage.  It's hard to find pieces like that which don't also scream caftan!   Show me more, David Giampiccolo.

I also don't think [Tim] should say anything to the judges while they are critiquing.  His job should be done by then and he shouldn't be influencing their decision unless there's a serious mismatch between what the designers brief was and what the judges are basing their critiques on.

Agree.  He's listed as mentor, producer and co-host.  If it's inappropriate for him to be one of the actual judges at the runway, why is it okay for him to influence the judges with his subjective remarks about anything that went on in the sewing room?

I was wondering why they kept showing shots of Merline's bare feet.  

I didn't care if she wanted to go barefoot in the workroom.  Until she hopped up on the bed and started jumping around.  Eww.

Also, better to sacrifice the hats, bring the needle and thread.

(But I liked her outfit very much.)

• Love 7

They can probably buy sewing tools for their kits at Mood during the next challenge with some of their money. I don't think the show would let any contestant go off on their own.

I liked the New Zealand designer but thought his dress wasn't good on the runway. Zach is truly a master of gown construction -- both architectural and with draping. To the point where some of his designs could be in a museum because so much thought and work goes into their construction. So he is going to be very critical in this category.

The salmon toga didn't show the model's figure and there didn't seem to be much thought put into where it was or wasn't draped. He might have been able to save himself If he hadn't said he was still trying to find his point of view.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 4

I liked the New Zealand designer but thought his dress wasn't good on the runway. Zach is the master of construction both architectural and draping. To the point where some of his designs could be in a museum so much thought and work goes into them.

Some of them are :)

• Love 3

... enough with the pointless pepla, people.

Alliteration AND Latin declensions ... this is one of the reasons I love you so much.

Also, I got a "trying too hard to be Austin Scarlett" with all the coy up-glances and bitchiness from Blake. Hope he's auf'd sooner rather than later.

• Love 4

I think the intro was a take on the Holi Festival in India. I don't much about it, but it seems really fun & carefree in an almost child-like way. I remember it inspired Galliano a decade ago, before he lost his GD mind:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8b/f2/e9/8bf2e99da7767e099645063db9aed9e7.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6f/b0/d3/6fb0d3b1bc7c787a7b6982889c42acc6.jpg

Maybe because I saw the episode in the pre-premiere marathon, but I thought it was a wink to one of the best moments from last year, Sean's "rainway" dress with the dye sewn in the seams that blossomed when the garment got wet.  Those Color Run 5Ks, where the runners get pelted with colored powders every several hundred yards, are very popular right now, too (if my FB feed is to be believed, lol), so who knows...

• Love 6

Thank you! I was just coming here to post that. If she makes anything with a cape this season, I will die laughing.

I'm on the Edna Mould train as well....as soon as I saw her I thought "NO CAPES!!!!"   :-)

• Love 3

I knew Hanmiao was staying - because they showed us at the beginning of the episode teaser for the rest of the season. So stupid.

That being said I'm glad they kept her because I could see where she was going with her outfit.

Austin girl bugs the crap out of me already. As does the bottom of the pile yellow lined clown dress guy. Get over yourself, you aren't that awesome.

Loved Ashley's look, and shocked that Merline pulled it together - I really thought she'd be toast and then suddenly .. amazing outfit. WTF?? lpol

• Love 4

I <3 Tim Gunn; “the antithesis of joy”? That’s one for the books. “it’s a muslin with an n.”; “finish this as beautifully as you possibly can”; lump of coal speech. heh. his whole montage. <3

YAY! No returning designers!!! Oh, wait, the girl who got cut first. Oh, well.

I’m a sucker for gap-tooth smiles. (Candice)

Lindsey = Alexandra 2.0, now w/extra bitchiness! Oh, wait, she complimented other designers.

Kelly was a cute kid! But her voice. LOL @ her shade twd Merline. Merline is an ass; ‘You’re like from India, you can make this happen.’ = WTF? Swapnil’s eyes tho’ <3

Garment printer w/us all season? Ooooooh.

Edmond’s gonna have a great arc if he sticks around. He got mad Posen eyebrow during the runway. Glad he was on top.

Ugh, Blake. Please, can you just let your designs speak for themselves? Youre like Gunnar 2.0, and he was hardly an original. “It looks like a receptacle”. *Insert Nelson’s ‘ha-ha!’* Your model’s kinda hot, though. [Gabrielle’s model, too.] Haha, shade from every judge, too. TG: “He’s very much like this garment!”

I think I love Laurie. Hope I like her designs.

Aw, Ashley, you’re fabulous. Don’t cry. Glad TG had a gentle touch w/you, too. <3

Hanmiao’s boxy style. Nah. Translated ok on the runway, actually. “picnic, monk, and maternity”. heh.

Oh, Duncan. I’m glad I was spoiled, ‘cause that color and that drape? NMS at all. He and his model could be siblings.

Jake’s look and his persona are a little at odds w/one each other, and it’s interesting.

David can talk to me about his clothes all day.

I wasn’t really stunned by any of the looks. Maybe Amanda’s (the first design out) ? I actually, surprisingly don’t mind Jake’s stripey, warm color thing. Candice’s design would be cute if well executed. The boobs on Kelly’s dress are so bad. I like Ashley’s skirt! Yay for compliments & winning!! :D Merline’s outfit was pretty ok, I guess :/

I pretty much agreed with the judge’s top/bottom 3, + ultimate W/L.

• Love 3

Blake is gonna be the one I love to hate becuase he's such a buffoon, but in a juvenile tinkerbelle sensibility.

His words, "... you can't teach taste. How hard is it to make something fabulous out of nothing?" Answered with Zack calling his clown costume for the schlock it is, even a failure of its theatrics, let alone basic sewing.

I was stunned by the mean girl sending out a romper that was deemed safe. Bleh. I did watch the road to Runway, and was stunned that she made it at all, based on the whole rack of gray? Then I thought she must have made it to be our mean girl who does great sewing.

I'm really looking forward to this group interpreting Couture this season!

• Love 2

I didn't care for the winning design, but it's been a while since I've liked anything on this show. But if Ashley designs for plus-size women (of which I am one), I wish she would design some better looking clothes for herself. I never saw such mis-matched tops and bottoms in my life! It was the proverbial reach "into the clothes basket in the dark and wear whatever you lay your hands on". And her clothes didn't fit her, they were way too tight, it looked like they were going to bust at the seams.

• Love 7

He's the one who thinks he's too fabulous for words. I can't be bothered this early to learn his name. His look was in the bottom 3.

He's a low rent Austin Scarlett. Blake, I know Austin Scarlett. I worked with Austin Scarlett. Austin Scarlett is a friend of mine (if only!). You, sir, are no Austin Scarlett. 

Regarding Tim's comments about Duncan's dress.. I liked it a lot more in the work room as well... It had more design to it vs just a wrap of fabric... But either in execution or as he continued working, it turned into too much.

I did like the color, though, and I don't know why the judges were so whiny about that color. Plus this was a mad dash for fabric, they only had so much to choose from vs a shop at mood.

That color is the kiss of death on Project Runway. I think I emitted a small scream when he picked it. Pink for anyone over age 6 on PR is DOOM. 

Agreed.  She give me a bit of a Mila vibe, who BTW, is blogging again this season on the mother ship homepage.  I've always liked her commentary.  It sounds like she at least has been registering what the fans are saying in social media. 

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/blogs/mila-hermanovski-blog/season-14-episode-1-recap

I likened her to my beloved Laura Bennett. I thought she would be icy and brittle, but she turned out to be tremendous fun and with chops to burn. Once I saw her pics of her with her kids, I was hers. I hope she goes far, but I must confess I was a tad concerned about her dress. the fit was wonky. 

All I could think whenever I saw Kelly was that she's stuck in 1988. I'm not sure how she made it on this show, and I admire her pluckiness, but I didn't realize guidette chic was a fashionable aesthetic.

Sigh. why is every single reality show contestant from my town either a loud mouth, bigoted muscle head from Southie or Eastie, or some ratchet, trashy looking girl who looks like she slept in a dumpster? Kelly seems like a sweet girl and big points to her for starting again from scratch but I cannot figure out how she got on to the show. However, she is my homey and I'm pulling for her. but if she makes it past episode 3 I'll be amazed. 

I love Ashley and I hope she can find power, as my other fave Laurie says! I love Laurie's energy, she seems very cool. I'm sorry to see the good looking Viking go so early, but for once I am not in despair. It may be a good season! Yay! 

• Love 9

That color is the kiss of death on Project Runway. I think I emitted a small scream when he picked it. Pink for anyone over age 6 on PR is DOOM.

Anyone except Sandhya. Her horrendous glitter tube dress and the outfit with the pinwheels, if memory serves, were purest pepto bismol.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

Lindsay, Gretchen, and Alexandria seem to be cut from the same supercilious, entitled, mediocre muslin. (Alexandria being the most talented of the terrible trio, though.)

11th-time's-the-charm guy had an ill-fitting amateurish cape costume dress. Looked like she just needed the vampire makeup to complete the Halloween costume. Clearly, they kept and praised him for the compassionate angle.

Busted Christian Siriano's geometric dress wasn't that busted, esp. compared to the cape costume LBD they struggled to manufacture praise for.

Ashley deserved the win. I have that look in my closet but not quite. Her little details made it look much more special and "designer" than my fast fashion one.

The ultra cheesy, contrived comments they have the designers make during the Product Placement Beauty Crap Segments aren't the slightest bit natural or restrained anymore. I think one girl actually squealed, "Mary Kay, you're doin' it!" 

I've seen every season but this is the first time I've fast-forwarded to the runway. Lifetime manages to make it more bloated each season.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3

I am not a larger size, but I hope that Ashley (?) does designs geared toward larger sizes, if that is her thing, even if she is stuck with a small model. She could still make things that would suit larger, fuller frames, and point this out.

Also as someone else said...she needs to up her own fashion game to make her own point. A lot of them, in fact, should be doing better in what they wear, even while working, since they are selling themselves as...fashion designers. Even a fashionista has some clothes that are comfortable, functionable and still fashionable. When you choose to pursue fashion as a career, you really need to be aware of your own self.

End of lecture lol...

• Love 2

Well, I guess if they make Ashley this season's Michael Costello, we'll all love her, and she'd probably rather have fans and a successful business than "friendships" with PR designer twinks.

Also, to continue to beat the horse to death, I'm pretty sure they've always brought their own sewing kits, because most of the seasons, you can see the designers wearing their own pincushions. And at the end, which could be staged, I guess, I mean it is a reality show and those aren't real lights they turn off, but they appear to be packing their own tote bag or, in some cases, fashionable leather totes/ briefcases, so I'm assuming it is in THOSE they packed their sewing essentials.

Wow, I didn't realize that it was Just Fab and Sally Beauty Studio only!!!! Also, don't forget some kind of nebulous exotic trip from Best Western. You would think they could have at least gotten some kind of fast food sponsorship!! Remember the days of Lord and Taylor and Macy's?? Seems so long ago. Still, I'm glad the show is back. I miss it on so many snarky levels!!!

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

There was a lot of dept store and/or no-talent fodder on that runway. Everyone was pretty much as bad I as expected from looking at the Road episode except Ashley. Pleasant surprise there.

I still think David is going to win tho.

I was embarrassed for the judges that Edmond and Merline's were both in the Top 3. I was excited for this season since it's been so lobg for all of a half-sec but I think the talent and taste level gets worse and worse ever yr. I am not sure I will be able to finish this season. Bring on Survivor!

• Love 6

Lindsay, Gretchen, and Alexandria seem to be cut from the same supercilious, entitled, mediocre muslin. (Alexandria being the most talented of the terrible trio, though.)

11th-time's-the-charm guy had an ill-fitting amateurish cape costume dress. Looked like she just needed the vampire makeup to complete the Halloween costume. Clearly, they kept and praised him for the compassionate angle.

Alexandria was able to back up her high estimation of her skills with superior construction and a collection that looked like it belonged at NYFW (a rarity in recent seasons of Project Runway). We'll see if Lindsay can do the same.

Judging by his pre-show portfolio, I don't think Edmond will make it very far, but even if he steps it up I can't imagine the panel crowning a 13x also-ran. 

• Love 6
I didn't care if she wanted to go barefoot in the workroom.

I think going barefoot in an environment like that is incredibly stupid. You may be able to do that ini your own workspace knowing that you didn't drop needles on the floor (and honestly, she's so wacked, that I can't imagine she can even be sure of THAT!) but to go barefoot in a room with 15 other people frantically trying to get a sewing project done? Stupid. I'm waiting for this to prove to be foreshadowing of an injury during the "make a dress out of random sharp pieces of metal" challenge.

Some of them are :)

Sorry, but I had to guffaw at the "location" of teh donated item being "in storage"

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 4

Count me among those who didn't understand the "no tools" fake shock/drama.  

Wasn't someone disqualified one season for bringing a pattern book from home?  I understand that scissors are different from a pattern book, but given the whole "make do with what little we give you" ethos of this show, my assumption would also have been that I wasn't allowed to show up with anything at all that could be used during a challenge.  

Of course, I would also have read the rulebook, where I presumably would have learned to the contrary.  

But no, Tim, showing up to PR without scissors is not at all like going on vacation with no deodorant.  It's more like renting a private beach house for a week and not bringing your own toilet paper or towels.  Sure, the rental contract probably told you to supply your own.  But it's not entirely unreasonable under the circumstances for someone to have assumed they would be available.  

Edited by Rancide
  • Love 10

I didn't care for the winning design, but it's been a while since I've liked anything on this show. But if Ashley designs for plus-size women (of which I am one), I wish she would design some better looking clothes for herself. I never saw such mis-matched tops and bottoms in my life! It was the proverbial reach "into the clothes basket in the dark and wear whatever you lay your hands on". And her clothes didn't fit her, they were way too tight, it looked like they were going to bust at the seams.

I think she dresses herself horribly and her winning skirt was quite bulky and unflattering. For me, a flirtier type of short skirt would have been better suited to that loud print. But it was the most palatable/commercial garment out of a bad lot, I suppose.

Edmond's neon yellow lining looked fabulous against his model's skin but would have been appalling with my pasty and freckled whiteness. Remains to be seen whether that was a deliberate, thought-out choice after he met his model or if he's just a doof.

I wish Laurie hadn't been safe so we could have been treated to some comments about the vulgarity of the hip-high slit on her dress.

From Mila's blog posted upthread: "I’m just as gobsmacked as Tim about how someone could not bring a kit or work without tools."

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

I didn't agree with the judges at all.  Edmond said 'that is it! But I think it was more like 'that's it?'  Just a basic, boring little black dress with a desperate neon green train tacked on.   Lindsay's design was also boring as hell, it shouldn't have been safe.  I preferred Blake's look to either of them, and also thought that Duncan's was great.  If Hanmaio had just chosen one fabric for the dress and a different one for the vest, the effect would have been better.  I thought Merline's fabric was too heavy and stiff, something was off about it.  But Ashley certainly deserved to win.

I think she dresses herself horribly and her winning skirt was quite bulky and unflattering. For me, a flirtier type of short skirt would have been better suited to that loud print. But it was the most palatable/commercial garment out of a bad lot, I suppose.

I agree. I don't get the love for her style. It seems like it's really more about "She's fat and we have to celebrate her". I would think that any sort of gathered waist is the WORST option for someone who is bulky. While the pleating of her design was interesting, it even made a stick thin model look frumpy. And many of the clothes she was shown wearing herself look hardly thought out in their lines/design.

What she DOES have going for her I think, is an interesting way of mixing colors, prints, etc. But I think the architecture of her own clothes is basic Walmart.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 4

Very happy to have one of my favorite shows back. I didn't have a problem with Tim's behavior in the workroom. Tim is high strung and any little thing gets him 'perplexed'. I also think he is involved with fashion enough that he couldnt't be considered out of touch with current styles. Of course everything is subjective and there is never a guarantee on what the judges will like. I do think Tim envisioned the draped dress to be much more fitted, and the other designers loved it, so it must have had some good qualities.

I didn't really care for the winning outfit and it looked like it was designed only for a very skinny model. I am a bigger woman and I could not wear that skirt and top at all. The other top outfits were very average to me. I actually thought pistachio or whatever she wants to be called had a different idea (not executed well, but different). It was more interesting to me than Marline's suit which had a strange fit.  Don't like Lindsay or her Gretchen like clothes and attitude.

Edited by Madding crowd

Is it possible, in previous years, that they gave everybody a kit which they could take with them when they were sent home, but this time everyone had to bring their own?

No, when you see the final scene of each episode, the kits the aufed contestants fill is shaped differently. Some have kits that look like industrial tool kits. Others have different shaped containers for their stuff, some larger, some smaller, but definitely their own, individualized things.  

• Love 3

Not only that, but it's getting increasingly dangerous to listen to Tim.  In the workroom, Tim was going on and on about how great Duncan's dress was, but notice Tim didn't say anything about that later when he was with the judges looking at the dress.

I actually thought that was rather slimily two-faced of Gunn.  When the judges were looking at the dress he was all nodding and agreeing as they slagged Duncan's dress.  Man up Timmeh and tell them that you told Duncan you loved it.  That's valuable info for the judges to have because it would give them better insight into why Duncan kept it how it was.

• Love 13

It seems really improbable that the instructions up to this year were unambiguous enough that nobody had that problem, but this year three people did. In a show less dedicated to manufacturing bullshit drama I would give it the benefit of the doubt, but seriously, Project Runway.

• Love 7

It's nice to come back to this forum after all this time and see familiar names.    Feels like first day of school in September.

I don't have much to add except that I don't like Blake at all.   Whenever bitchy turds like him come along I wonder, who in his/her past furnished the positive reinforcement that led them to believe this was the proper way to behave?   What does being a douche get you?  How does it advance your career to make people dislike you?   I've never understood that.

• Love 8

Heidi AGAIN being a massive bitch with trapping someone with a no-win question ("do you stand behind it") where any answer the person gave she's go at them. Sigh.

That said,I also thought that Salmon thing was a monstrosity, even while all the other designers (and Tim) were praising it.

Merline made a great dress, but man she'd drive me insane in minutes. Did anyone even BOTHER to try to nicely tell her to shut her yap? If they did it got edited out.

Ashley has a great attitude and a great end product.  Good for her.  

Gothy Candice Cuoco (she's GOT to be another sister of Kaley--like that girl Briana Cuoco that was on The Voice a few seasons ago) is surprisingly sunny for a Goth. Maybe it's having that expensive house (from the preview show we saw) that cheers her up.

Getting real stubborn vibes from Hanmiao.  I think she may be that one designer per season who never listens to anyone.

Blake seemed like a real dick on the preview show, but not so much here. Maybe it's coming later.  Or maybe it was just to get cast. Lindsey (who didn't seem so bad in the preview) seems to have taken up his slack though. 

The rest?  Not yet memorable.

• Love 4

Blake seemed like a real dick on the preview show, but not so much here. Maybe it's coming later.  Or maybe it was just to get cast. Lindsey (who didn't seem so bad in the preview) seems to have taken up his slack though. 

And to think this precious lil' hipster warned us in the preview that she's the victim of people misjudging her as this privileged mean girl. We must have it all wrong, too.

• Love 3

I thought every single look was horrible, with the exception of the caftan. I'm not a fan of caftans necessarily, and they're easy to make, but given the fabric choices and time limits, he made a safe choice and the look wasn't horrid.

Only because the judges swooned over it, I'll say that I hated Merline's look and wondered what the judges were smoking. Merline seems like a sweet woman, but very unpolished and I hope the editors don't shame her too much. Having said that, when they were all checking out the hotel I wondered who would get stuck with Chatty Cathy. I can't imagine trying to rest and recharge my exhausted batteries with Merline around. Last nerve, and all that.

Edmond is gonna break my heart.

• Love 1

Sigh. why is every single reality show contestant from my town either a loud mouth, bigoted muscle head from Southie or Eastie, or some ratchet, trashy looking girl who looks like she slept in a dumpster? Kelly seems like a sweet girl and big points to her for starting again from scratch but I cannot figure out how she got on to the show. However, she is my homey and I'm pulling for her. but if she makes it past episode 3 I'll be amazed. 

She really does look trashy as hell, I'm sorry. I think she's funny, but her whole look is ... a lot. And the look she sent down the runway emphasized that.

Lindsay and Blake are my least favorites. Lindsay's stuff is SO boring - I thought that in the Road to the Runway show. There's no design there; it's ready to wear bargain bin stuff. And I loathe rompers. Plus her "I don't play well with others" attitude is off-putting. Blake is doing way too much with the "I design for socialites, people who can afford me." Child, you sent down a dress with a rubber hippie daisy print lining. Please be seated. (I actually liked the main print. Those colors would look good on me, although I wouldn't wear that dress because my D cups and I aren't comfortable with that deep a V, even with double-sided tape. But there was way too much happening there. The lining was ugly, it was over accessorized, and the skirt was too bunchy.)

I can't wait for the "design for a regular person" challenge because at least one person won't be all "ew, commoners" about it. I loved Ashley's design. That much yellow is a bad look for me and my complexion, but I'd wear that skirt in another print (or that print in different colors).

I, too, wondered if Merline was high or unmedicated (I was thinking ADHD). She was talking so fast and seemed unfocused, so color me surprised when she sent down something cool.

I like Laurie as a person (she was the only one to hint at telling Merline to shut up) but that dress was bad.

There's even some eye candy! Edmond and Swapnil are very cute. I didn't remember Amanda, but when they showed her flashbacks on Road to the Runway I was like "Girl, go back to brunette!" The blonde isn't good on her.

• Love 5

Blake bugs.

I didn't notice Zac looking weird but mom thought heidi did. I think too much Botox and white eyeshadow are not her friend. Did not detect filler but yes something was odd.

As for Nina Garcia, I didn't think shed tightened up but the contrary, she looks closer to 60 tha 50 in my opinion.

Omg the fakey basketball made me want to hurl. Why is she wearing high heels on the court? Why?

I liked the pinstriped one shoulder dress. Whose was that? That was very interesting something a creative type could wear to a meeting, never on PR have they ever really understood what women can wear to work. Probably because the judges and model actress guest stars have never worked as we know it (I.e., offices, cubicles, or even waiters, etc)

• Love 2

I liked the pinstriped one shoulder dress. Whose was that? That was very interesting something a creative type could wear to a meeting, never on PR have they ever really understood what women can wear to work. Probably because the judges and model actress guest stars have never worked as we know it (I.e., offices, cubicles, or even waiters, etc)

That was Candice the bondage goth, which surprised me. I didn't expect her style to be something I warmed to.

• Love 1

The bitchy blonde girl with glasses got a lot of screen time for being one of the safe designers. Almost nothing was said about her actual design, which was boring and simple.  She seemed to be featured mainly just to talk smack about everyone else.

She even said as much - she made it safe so that she would stay safe. I HATE that attitude. And yes, she was so catty in her confessionals but then said nice things about Ashley and Merlene (and kind of admitted she was wrong about them at first), so she redeemed herself a little.

Big Hoops Lady - that headband you're wearing makes it look like your hair is thinning. FYI.

If this is who I'm thinking of - Kelly? - all I could think of was, now I know what happened to Sporty Spice.

According to the interwebs, she's a recent move to Boston from western Massachusetts, so she's overplaying the "Bawstin Strawng" stuff a little.

Did Heidi get that pink and black number out of Maude's closet?  WTF *was* that?

FTW!  I was all wtf about it too but lacked the wit to connect it to Maude. Lady Godiva was a freedom rider.

Edited by Mumbles

According to the interwebs, she's a recent move to Boston from western Massachusetts, so she's overplaying the "Bawstin Strawng" stuff a little.

I don't know if it's the same in Boston, but if anybody tells you what to do if you want to be a real new yorker, they moved here as an adult.

• Love 4

No Time Gunn Save?  Or did I just miss it?  Keeping my fingers crossed that it is no longer an option (although, I am not sure why it would bother me so).

Sorry to disappoint. I'm quite certain I heard the Tim-will-be-able-to-save-one-very-special-flower-whether-they-deserve-it-or-not announced when he was seated with the judges. Oh well.

The basketball outtake went on way too long. I enjoyed it for about 5 seconds. I'm surprised MSG allowed those shoes on the court! And if you want more exciting outtakes they will be available on the PR site! Some might turn out to be better than the show.

• Love 5

She even said as much - she made it safe so that she would stay safe. I HATE that attitude. And yes, she was so catty in her confessionals but then said nice things about Ashley and Merlene (and kind of admitted she was wrong about them at first), so she redeemed herself a little.

I don't see it that way. It's the 1st challenge. There's 16 people. The judges are looking just as much for cannon fodder as they are for early frontrunners (and we all know that being an early front runner doesn't always work in your favor). You aren't yet accustomed to having cameras in your face all the time, or being tied at the hip to a dozen+ other people. I'd take the same tactic myself... play it safe to stay relatively anonymous in the middle of the pack for a few challenges while "middle-of-the-pack-safe" is still a large category. See if I can get a clue how the judges are assessing merit of outfits.

While aiming to win every time is a good goal, the worst thing you can do is be in the bottom too much early on. When it gets hard to choose between 2 people in the bottom later on, someone who has been in the bottom a lot is likely to be the one cut. In order to win you have to take risks. Taking risks is just as likely to land you in the bottom.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that with 16 people, even a bad outfit has less odds of being the one eliminated. Chances are that at least 2 or 3 other people will be just as bad. So maybe it is the time to take chances. But we all know that "boring" later is the death knell, so the beginning is the time to take it slow and safe and start throwing your wow ideas in later. Even worse than "boring" is falling back on your "wow" idea too many times. The first challenge, IMO, is NOT the best time to stand out.

So I'd definitely just play it safe with a simple but well constructed garment for the first 1 or maybe even 2 or 3 challenges, just to get my groove going while the obvious rejects get eliminated. Some horses that are great out of the gate fall to the back long before the race is over. Despite the pace, this is a steeplechase, not a sprint.

As for her "bitchy" talking heads, I didn't get a seriously bitchy vibe from anyone yet except "I like to make small people feel small" guy. I don't take too much of what they say in the talking heads to heart this early on. We know that they are goaded into smacktalk by whoever is present asking them questions, and the editing monkeys choosing what they will show.

The one thing I AM sick of hearing though (besides Es-teh-tic) is the phrase "I'm concerned/worried/whatever about so-and-so's garment" when speaking of one they don't think is good. Really? It's got you worried? You actually care if so-and-so has a bad garment? Are they already your bestie and you don't want to see them leave?

Kids, the ones you should be "concerned" about are the ones that might beat yours. Why are you "worrying" about a total stranger's bad design/execution/fabric choice/etc? Just say "I don't like it" cause we all know that's what you mean. Saying you're "concerned" about it, like you actually CARE, is BS. It's also a subtle way of being superior and patronizing about other contestants.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 4

Hated Blake's totally disingenuous "I think they play sports or something at Madison square garden." What a tool.

As much as I loved Merline's design, I can't imagine having to share a room with her crazy personality. And what was with the jumping on the bed, what is she, four?

Don't have high hopes for someone who took 14 tries to get on the show, doesn't speak well for natural talent. Nice to know you Edmund.

The rest are blending together right now, but for some reason this season has me more interested than I've been in years, so bring on episode two!

And minor nitpick...I hate When Heidi does her sweeping finger snap. It really pisses me off.

• Love 3

Merline may be annoying, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like the way Tim Gunn handled the "Muslim"/"muslin" thing.  It's obvious he's cultivating a "tougher" image this season (which is a particularly stupid move since he already damaged his rep with a lot of viewers over Under the Gunn).  But it's hard to imagine the old Tim Gunn being as cold and angry-seeming over Merline's mispronunciation, rather than (if correcting her on camera at all) maybe correcting her with a smile or making a little mutual joke about it. PC or not, I'm not sure it's in Tim or the show's best interests to be putting images of the whitest of white men angrily correcting a woman of color over pronunciation.  This probably should have taken place off-camera (it's not like we're seeing an uncut, unedited live stream of Tim visiting the designers anyway), and/or Tim should have handled it more good naturedly.  The show letting us perceive Merline as annoying because she's an individual who sings constantly is one thing; the implication that a Haitian-American is frustrating or stupid because she mispronounces a word is another thing entirely.

• Love 6

As much as I'm not crazy about the less lovable Tim I was glad he corrected her and though I wasn't 100% engaged watching I don't remember it being so harsh.

I could not for the life of me figure out what she was talking about. Muslim? I thought she was maybe talking a style? Like, traditional v. Modern, or something? She got a great big, Huh?, from me.

At the time all I could think was, Thank You Tim.

I'll have to pay better attention my next look.

Her annoyance factor is really high. But her clothes/designs, so far, are nice. She does a beautiful job with patterned fabrics.

• Love 2

It seemed to me that she was largely self-trained and was trying to fit in as if she had more training than she did. That's not something Tim, who's supposed to be an educator, has never seen before. Clearly, she knew how to use a muslin, even if she didn't know what to call one. And I think bringing in outsiders and then being catty when they don't know all the terms of art the professionals do is a douche move. 

I watched Under the Gunn. Asha was a poorly-trained and ignorant young woman. She was also a protege of the lovely and talented Mrs. Weinstein. I noted a singular lack of Tim calling her out right up to where he did his damndest to award the prize to her amazingly bad carny chic (™ NPH) collection.

I think he's capable of good manners, not to say obsequiousness. I find it interested to see who he deploys them for.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4
I wish Laurie hadn't been safe so we could have been treated to some comments about the vulgarity of the hip-high slit on her dress.

And she was the one who said skirts above the knee are tacky!

Regarding Merline, it felt like she was getting the "annoying dimwit" edit, but she produced something really interesting in a very risky color, and it worked. As a result, I find it very difficult - and yet also very easy - to believe that she thought it more important to bring her hat collection than her sewing kit.

After road to the runway, I thought I would really hate Swampy. That whole "women tell me when they wear my clothes men want to have sex with them" comment was such a turn off. But he came across as a decent, nice guy.

Edmond is gonna break my heart.

Not mine. I know they're going for the whole redemption angle. But after seeing both dresses he made, I understood why he'd been rejected so many times. That was not a top-three design. (Well, obviously it was, but it shouldn't have been.)

As for her "bitchy" talking heads, I didn't get a seriously bitchy vibe from anyone yet except "I like to make small people feel small" guy.

I agree with this. I like Lindsay. So far.

I agree. I don't get the love for her style. It seems like it's really more about "She's fat and we have to celebrate her". I would think that any sort of gathered waist is the WORST option for someone who is bulky. ...What she DOES have going for her I think, is an interesting way of mixing colors, prints, etc. But I think the architecture of her own clothes is basic Walmart.

That bold pattern mixing (although not uli-worthy), and the plus size designer angle are why she'll be around for a while, It will be interesting to see how she handles the "real woman" challenge, because if I recall correctly, the plus size designs they showed in road to the runway were all - save for fabric choice - essentially the same. Round neck short sleeve shirts, collared button downs, and full pleated skirts. The minute she puts a paper-bag waist on a big girl, she's done.

Not only that, but it's getting increasingly dangerous to listen to Tim.

I don't know about that. He was right about Edmund, Blake, Meow-Meow, and I don't know how many others.

The most distressing thing about this entire episode was Heidi's purple eyeshadow at the very beginning.

The next most distressing thing was the revelation that Project Runway kids table is coming back for another season. Nobody was clamoring for that. And after listening to the host speak, I immediately resolved never to watch a single episode of it.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 2

I didn't think Tim was particularly awful when he corrected Merline on her pronunciation of "muslin."

I've known a few people who are serial mispronouncers of certain words. It's humorous, but I imagine that Tim, as an educator, wanted to take a firm but kind approach to Merline. Merline could, simply by virtue of being one of the people who forgot her kit, be marked as a space cadet.  

I'm a size 16/18 and I'm trying to imagine wearing Ashley's outfit. I'm tall and long waisted and if the gathered bit was a little less prominent I could see wearing it. I would also wear the shirt, but with a tank underneath (I HAVE to wear a bra). I love skirts that are gathered and pleated. I wear them a lot. Short, long, whatever. So, Plus Size doesn't automatically mean size 24 (which is what I estimate Ashley is - she might be like a 26 maybe). I can't wear a lot of designer clothes because they don't go over size 12 or 14.

I also loved the flippy grey dress that the designer herself disliked. 

I might be being a tad snarky, but what does "upper middle class" mean in Alabama? Lindsey seems very concerned with how she is perceived by others. Many of her comments were about that very topic.  

Edited by guilfoyleatpp
  • Love 3

Merline may be annoying, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like the way Tim Gunn handled the "Muslim"/"muslin" thing.  It's obvious he's cultivating a "tougher" image this season (which is a particularly stupid move since he already damaged his rep with a lot of viewers over Under the Gunn).  But it's hard to imagine the old Tim Gunn being as cold and angry-seeming over Merline's mispronunciation, rather than (if correcting her on camera at all) maybe correcting her with a smile or making a little mutual joke about it. PC or not, I'm not sure it's in Tim or the show's best interests to be putting images of the whitest of white men angrily correcting a woman of color over pronunciation.  This probably should have taken place off-camera (it's not like we're seeing an uncut, unedited live stream of Tim visiting the designers anyway), and/or Tim should have handled it more good naturedly.  The show letting us perceive Merline as annoying because she's an individual who sings constantly is one thing; the implication that a Haitian-American is frustrating or stupid because she mispronounces a word is another thing entirely.

Totally, totally agree with this. And looking at her as if she should, what, be ashamed? Know better?

On the other hand, I am very sorry if she has an anxiety disorder but you just cannot disrupt a whole roomful of people under so much stress of their own. I agree with the person above who wondered if anyone pulled her aside nicely about the *loud* singing and talking. I doubt the show would appreciate that, of course! 

• Love 1

I might be being a tad snarky, but what does "upper middle class" mean in Alabama?

I would assume it means the same exact thing as it does anywhere else. Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 2