Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: Mad Dash Mayhem

• Start Topic

Already Hipster blonde is going to be my favorite bitch.

I love pistachio.

Hahhaaa I love everyone. They are already going crazy.

Edited by Watt
  • Love 6

I loved Ashley's - the skirt, the shirt, the combo, and especially the skirt. I'm glad she won. And she also seems like she's a nice person - which I find refreshing with so many catty people on here!

Little dude that's like "what kind of person isn't capable of making something amazing?" And then makes a frumpy mess that TG compares to a lunch bag (that was his right?). Ha! Serves him right.

Why was that guest judge blatantly laughing at numerous people? Yeesh, mean!

• Love 15

For once I agreed with the judges, except I felt they were too kind to Edmond. That dress was just a black dress with a train tacked on. It was well made though.

I thought Pistachio's , or as Heidi called her Meow-Meow, design was the worst, it looked like a tablecloth. She should have gone home. But Duncan's dress did look like a bed sheet hanging on the model. So his looked sucked too.

I loved Ashley's skirt and top, it was very cute. I'm glad she won, she seems like a sweet girl.

• Love 10

Well, I'm officially terrible at the PR game. I always try to guess who's going home. I muffed this one badly. I was hoping the matching robe & hospital gown would be gone. Shrug.

• Love 9

Wish they hadn't gotten rid of Duncan - I felt out of him and the other designer he would have been more likely to take the judges' criticism to heart for the next challenge. But the second he told them he was still figuring out his point of view I knew he was a goner. After this many seasons, contestants should know - have a point of view or design aesthetic set before showing up. Even if you have to pivot from it based on the criticism, at least you have a starting point to pivot FROM.

• Love 17

A new favorite quote: "This is the antithesis of joy." I wish Blake would have been eliminated. Lindsey reminds me of Meg on Big Brother. I liked how Kelly redid her whole dress and improved it.

I'm glad Ashley won. I hope she goes far.

• Love 16

Far too kind to Edmond. It was apparently well sewn, but beyond basic. When Heidi called his name, I assumed that was it was the safe group because his was aggressively mediocre. I then thought they had him there to remind him to step it up next time.

Ashley's was great. I thought it looked like Lily Pulitzer with an edge.

The more that I think about Duncan's, the more I think they were right to cut him. He's just finished design school. He's referencing Madame Gres with no modernization or updating while not understanding that Madame Gres draped, but also took care to display a woman's figure in the best light. He's a baby designer who doesn't know what he likes and how to do it.

• Love 19

I loved the oversized blue dress with all the patterns and pockets by David! It should have been a top look and that black tube dress should have been safe.

Is Hannah Davis a little dumb or just stiff on camera?

I'm feeling hopeful for the season...

• Love 17

Not wowed but not offended. Give them some actual time (Ahahahahahahahaha) and this bunch could be competitive and maybe a little interesting. They don't lack for confidence, that's for sure.

I'd have aufed pistachio over the guy (still working on names). That was hideous (unflattering, poorly constructed), and she's already pulled the "I know better than anyone" card - unfortunately, not in front of the judges. There's conviction for your vision. Then there's plain, old delusion. She teetered. Oh, well. She's a short-timer.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 9

"They call him Tim Gunn because he's Tim Gunn." Really? I would have never figured that out.

I didn't like Candace at first but I liked her more after she talked about her children. Wasn't there someone on an earlier season who had a motorcycle on their house? Or maybe I'm just thinking of someone I actually know.

Blake reminds me a little of Cheryl Ann on Skin Wars, kind of smarmy with the boastful false modesty, head tilted downward but looking up w/fake sweet smile.

• Love 4

Tim thinks Blake is effervescent? Seriously? That's not the word that comes to mind for ME!

Two of the 3 people who showed up without a tool box were non-native English speakers who had to travel internationally (with international baggage restrictions) to get to PR. And everyone trash talked them for not bringing tools.

I'm thinking that if 3 out of 16 (nearly 20%) didn't figure out they were supposed to bring their own tools, then someone who was supposed to make the contracts and guidelines clear didn't do their damn job. (Of course the 3rd person has a clear case of ADHD and probably couldn't sit still long enough to read any documents sent to her.) It didn't seem like this had ever happened before, so if it happens for the 1st time and THREE people get it wrong, then I call shenanigans.

I'm glad they kept Chinese girl. I was so afraid that flashbacks to Ping would make them auf her automatically. I like it when someone comes in with a totally different background and Es-teh-tic. (Gawd, I'm SO over that word already and it's only Ep 1!)

I sorta wish the grey dress (that the designer of said was auf worthy) had been in the top/bottom just so I could look closer at the model. Given her movements, I'm convinced that girl studied Tango. So many models in recent years have been pretty bad, so it was nice to see someone move with flare and convidence. The dress had problems, but I liked the grey color and the basic idea. But then I DO dance tango and that dress was definitely moving into tango/social dance territory.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 16

Someone answer me this about Duncan. He's just out of design school. He admits he hasn't found his own aesthetic yet. How is it that he STILL got through all the auditions and interviews and got on the show?  (This may have been covered in the Road to the Runway show, but I haven't watched that yet.)

Once again, Tim's comments - "I'm reacting favorably to this dress" - have bugger-all to do with the judges opinions.

• Love 17

I'm going to move on from my question above because I just got back from the PR/ Lifetime web site (UGH; I hate going to the Lifetime site) and still can't figure out who is busted Christian, unless it's Blake? Only because he talked about how he is fabulous, is my guess.

Anywho, Blake and his amazing technicolor dreamdress would have been auf'ed if the little cutie from NZ hadn't talked about how he has no idea who he is a designer. That was his kiss of death. I'm sad to see him out so early because I enjoyed listening to him and I think he has a sweet spirit.

I am THRILLED Ashley won. I was so scared she would be out mostly because of her weight, and I'm serious. I'm surprised NIna would even give her a second look. I loved that skirt, though and I'm beyond happy with her win.

The guys who didn't bring tools? First of all, Belgian guy - David? - IS international, if you want to call him that, but he's living in Hollywood, ffs. And seriously, how in the heck could crazy hat lady think PR would SUPPLY her with a kit? She's got issues and I predict lots of future dramas, much like Sandiya, but I really liked the lines of her dress on the runway.

I gotta be honest: I'm glad this damn infuriating show is back. I haven't seen much to get excited about yet, though. Ashley is my definite fave so far...

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 12

The guys who didn't bring tools? First of all, Belgian guy - David? - IS international, if you want to call him that, but he's living in Hollywood, ffs. And seriously, how in the heck could crazy hat lady think PR would SUPPLY her with a kit? She's got issues and I predict lots of future dramas, much like Sandiya, but I really liked the lines of her dress on the runway.

The way Tim phrased it, I wasn't sure what he meant. Was it the first time anyone didn't bring a toolkit, or was it the first time they TOLD people to bring their own toolkit. Because things like scissors, rotary cutters, rulers, seam rippers, I can understand why you'd have a favorite one that you're used to and want to bring, but on the other hand, they're also pretty generic and it's perfectly reasonable to think that they'd be provided. They don't make them bring their own sewing machines or mannequins!

• Love 10

So... not a horrible start... though I disagree with who they sent home... probably in part because I liked Duncan and thought it'd be interesting to see what else he could do. As someone else mentioned, he seems like one who is very open to criticism and would be listening to the judges and making changes (although I don't know if listening to the judges is always a good thing :P )

That black dress was still boring and the train looks like when my 2 year old sticks a blanket in the back of her pants to be a peacock... nothing thrilling IMO. I did agree with the winner and was okay with the other two bottom choices, though some of the 'safe' looks were pretty terrible too.

I didn't get chatty cathy's look (names are hard in the beginning! but the lady who wouldn't be quiet) It looked like weird pajamas to me, and the back was even worse. I also disliked the color or something about the fabric, it looked stiff or at least uncomfortable.

The biggest thing I noticed this episode was that a good portion of the models seemed terrible... I know they are supposed to walk all weird anyway, but the clomping stomping down the runway made some of the clothes look even worse... just walk normal, seriously!

• Love 4

Jeez you just know most of this cast has horrible taste, if they were all "shocked" Duncan's monstrosity was in the bottom instead of the top. That dress was ugly and deserved to get him botted off.

• Love 8

Near the end, I almost felt as if Hanmaio was giving an eyeroll. I half expected Christina Tosi to come out from backstage and tear into her with "OH MY GOD. Did you just roll your eyes at Heidi?!"

Duncan, you were this season's Sean, but we hardly knew ye.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 7

This was an entertaining start. I like Ashley, but are they going to let her design for a plus size model, since that's her point of view? Or maybe she designs for all sizes, but I thought she said she mainly focuses on plus sizes since it's such an under-served market. It would be interesting if PR would let her use a larger model as her normal model and not even make a big deal out of it, just let the designs stand on their own merits against the standard design sizes and not as a separate category. But then, I guess that would blow the supposed anonymity of the runway since they'd always know which one was Ashley's. 

Gawd, Merline is annoying. Seriously, she didn't know that it's "muslin" and not "muslim"? Also, what was with her mildly racist comments to the guy from India? "Oh, I know you people are magic and stuff" (something like that) and "They could make this into a Project Runway musical, and that guy could do the Bollywood version."  It wasn't malicious but she just seems tone deaf as far as knowing when she's saying something a bit inappropriate. 

The Gothy model-looking girl seemed pretentious in some of her interviews but she seemed warmer and friendlier when interacting with the other designers. 

The bitchy blonde girl with glasses got a lot of screen time for being one of the safe designers. Almost nothing was said about her actual design, which was boring and simple.  She seemed to be featured mainly just to talk smack about everyone else. 

Bye Duncan ... sorry to see you go so soon!

• Love 14

It's too early for me to remember everyone or if I like their designs, but I will say this, I hate Merline. If I had to listen to her "singing" all day, I would have stuck my scissors in her eye. Also, was she really calling it "Muslim" instead of "muslin"? Isn't that sewing 101? I also didn't like her clothes, so basically, I want her gone ASAP.

3 people (including Merline) really didn't bring their tools. How stupid is that? You go through all the trouble of auditioning, showing your work, & finally getting picked, & then when they say "bring your own tools" you don't. SMH 

• Love 4

Someone answer me this about Duncan. He's just out of design school. He admits he hasn't found his own aesthetic yet. How is it that he STILL got through all the auditions and interviews and got on the show?  (This may have been covered in the Road to the Runway show, but I haven't watched that yet.)

Once again, Tim's comments - "I'm reacting favorably to this dress" - have bugger-all to do with the judges opinions.

I was waiting for that to come up.  Though I loved him in the workroom tonight, I continue to believe his time might have passed because he's out of sync.  

When they were in Madison Square Garden I just kept thinking...how much does that cost to rent, and could they have used that to house the designers for a few more days to get some longer challenges in there?

Overall though I thought it was a good start.  Nobody seemed too terrible or annoying, there were a few I like right off the bat, and I think I may have divorced myself from the judges so that their verdicts don't annoy me (we'll see)..  I'm curious to see where it goes from here.

• Love 8

Not only that, but it's getting increasingly dangerous to listen to Tim.  In the workroom, Tim was going on and on about how great Duncan's dress was, but notice Tim didn't say anything about that later when he was with the judges looking at the dress.  And last season, it seemed like a lot of the time when  contestants pretty much ignored Tim, they won, or made the top three.  I'm wondering if Tim was, in fact, more in tune with Michael Kors' aesthetic, and since Kors left, he's increasingly out-of-sync with where the judges will go.

On another note, it's always frustrating to move from "Road to the Runway" where we see more of the contestants as themselves pre-producer-processing and then see the actual show begin.  Lindsey from Austin was the most glaring example: on "Road," she obviously wasn't the catty "I'm gonna tear down everybody" person she was once PR proper began.  They might as well have had Constance Zimmer from Unreal sitting next to her tonight saying "good work, honey, play up the mean-girl act and we guarantee you a spot at least 'til the finale no matter how crappy your designs are."  It's obvious already they've picked her as one of this seasons "ohmigod, if I have to hear that contestant say one more thing I'm going to scream" talking-heads, but it's still going to be hard to take her act seriously, as "Road" suggests she's so obviously been coached.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 13
My gosh, did Zac Posen have most of his facial skin planed off? The Botox is pretty obvious, but his whole face is now Ken-doll smooth. Creepy-looking.

My husband wanted to know if Zac was planning to audition for The Joker.

• Love 10

My gosh, did Zac Posen have most of his facial skin planed off? The Botox is pretty obvious, but his whole face is now Ken-doll smooth. Creepy-looking.

Oh nooo!!! You & bobbyjoe have cut me deep, lol!

I love me some Zac Posen. I think he's so handsome & dreamy! I just love his neat little suits & the expressions he makes when he's watching the runway. The way he talks about clothes & gets hands-on with the looks.... As a matter of fact, I was looking for the Zac Posen thread. Where is it? I found a cute article (mostly about food & family) that showcases his lovely personality:

http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/07/zac-posen-grub-street-diet.html

In the article, he mentioned his PR trailer is in Long Island City, which is in Queens. Interesting, I always thought they taped in Manhattan. And, how does that work logistically?

Anyway, if someone can direct me to a more appropriate thread, I'd appreciate it. Moving on....

• Love 5

Two of the 3 people who showed up without a tool box were non-native English speakers who had to travel internationally (with international baggage restrictions) to get to PR. And everyone trash talked them for not bringing tools.

I'm thinking that if 3 out of 16 (nearly 20%) didn't figure out they were supposed to bring their own tools, then someone who was supposed to make the contracts and guidelines clear didn't do their damn job. (Of course the 3rd person has a clear case of ADHD and probably couldn't sit still long enough to read any documents sent to her.) It didn't seem like this had ever happened before, so if it happens for the 1st time and THREE people get it wrong, then I call shenanigans.

I sorta wish the grey dress (that the designer of said was auf worthy) had been in the top/bottom just so I could look closer at the model. Given her movements, I'm convinced that girl studied Tango. So many models in recent years have been pretty bad, so it was nice to see someone move with flare and convidence. The dress had problems, but I liked the grey color and the basic idea. But then I DO dance tango and that dress was definitely moving into tango/social dance territory.

I would like a better explanation as to why the mix up with the tool kits happened. What all is in a designer tool kit anyway? Also, are those contestants going to be relegated to borrowing things in future episodes?

I couldn't help but notice the model in the grey dress as well. She moved beautifully! *sigh* Sadly I think that modeling style is as out of date as Supermodels. These days designers prefer generic-looking models with generic-style walks.

The chatty Haitian woman was so annoying. Hopefully it was just nervous energy & she'll settle down. She was a sweet person.....maybe a little coo-coo crazy but, hey, she is in an artistic field. She was expending so much energy on everything but cutting & sewing---color me surprised when she delivered a beautiful product. Her architectural background showed in the dress. Out of the top 3, I thought she had the most original design.

I was happy Ashley won. I just wanted to hug her through the screen. I really hope she has an opportunity to showcase what she can do on so-called plus sized models. It's long been a pet peeve of mine---aren't plus-size women like 60% of the population?! Hardly a niche group! They're the majority! The fashion industry is stupid to not showcase them more. (***getting down off my soapbox)

I had a terrible sinking feeling when Tim Gunn critiqued Edmond, the 14 time tryout guy. Fortunately, with a little tough love he pulled it together. The first runway is really the only true anonymous runway (after that, the judges start to get a feel for the contestants) & they chose him for top 3! Kudos to him. I can't see him making it to fashion week though. His unoriginal designs will eventually get him aufed.

What a surprising result! I thought Duncan was getting the winner's edit from "Road to the Runway!" He had men's wear in his portfolio & had shown at a fashion week somewhere in Asia. I thought he deserved to stay, but I was glad they saved pistachio---she's sure to have some outrageous designs.

• Love 8

The more that I think about Duncan's, the more I think they were right to cut him. He's just finished design school. He's referencing Madame Gres with no modernization or updating while not understanding that Madame Gres draped, but also took care to display a woman's figure in the best light. He's a baby designer who doesn't know what he likes and how to do it.

I didn't understand the love for his dress back in the workroom and was glad to see that the judges didn't like it.   I thought he was going to be this season's Anya.  Remember that we've seen baby designers go all the way to the winner's circle.

That said, I'd have rather they kept Duncan and sent home Blake, may be messing up his name, the one with the patterned monstrosity that was cut down to the model's belly button.

I have hope that Pistachio will pull it together next week once she's able to pick her own fabric at Mood.

My favorite is Ashley so far.  She has talent and is a nice person.  Edmond may be a surprise.  I think we'll know within a week or two.   I'm also hoping the woman with the black hair and severe bangs shows us something interesting.  I liked what was on her rack during the pre-season scenes and her black and white dress this week was nice.  If Merlene calms down a bit and those nervous tics like the singing go away, she'll be fine.  I'm afraid, though, that she has a major problem with time management.  

Amanda Perna's dress, the turquoise skirt with the patterned halter top, should have been among the bottom.  She was proud of the skirt, but it was basic.  Fine, but basic.  That top was butt ugly, though.  There was nothing particularly interesting or well made about that dress.

I was also hoping the judges would say something about David Giampiccolo's dress.  OMG, it looked like something an elderly alien ambassador would wear on Star Trek.   Holy moley was that a piece of crap.

The others:  Gabrielle, a big yawn of a grey dress, appropriate if a high school drama class was putting on an all black and white production of Chicago.  Joseph, floral mid drift top and lavender skirt, yeah, I saw that at Macy's several years ago.  Jake, great fabric, nothing dress, if it had been in black, he'd have been on the bottom.  Kelly, also could have been on the bottom, sad fabric, weird unflattering design, she doesn't have long for the show.  Lindsey also doesn't have long for the show with that floral romper that could be found on the sale rack at Kohl's today.   Laurie, ok dress with the excitement of catching flashes of the model's crotch, not sure why that wasn't mentioned but it certainly wasn't the worst thing on the runway.   Swapnil (Indian man), big old yawn, he spent a lot of time piecing that top and the time wasn't reflected in the look of the final piece.   

Edited to add this comment:   I think the difference between Tim's view of Duncan's dress and the judges was that Tim saw it about halfway done when there was a whole lot less fabric involved.  The first few swoopy drapes looked fine.  If he'd have stopped there and put a plunging back with some kind of interesting way to keep it from falling off the model's shoulders, he'd have been fine.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 10

Last night, after the show, I was looking for that PR webpage where they show everyone's individual design from two perspectives and you can magnify the page to see the texture of the material. Has anyone found that page, or are they not doing that?

• Love 2

The first few swoopy drapes looked fine.

Agreed.  Tim's perspective and critique always comes mid-way, when the designer can either torpedo the whole damn thing or finish it out as a winner.  HUGE difference from his opinion of the finished product.  I think he's still got his mojo. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about a few of them, and hoping a few others just exit asap.  Hard to tell who I'm going to end up despising so early in the process.  *LOL*

• Love 8

Regarding Tim's comments about Duncan's dress.. I liked it a lot more in the work room as well... It had more design to it vs just a wrap of fabric... But either in execution or as he continued working, it turned into too much.

I did like the color, though, and I don't know why the judges were so whiny about that color. Plus this was a mad dash for fabric, they only had so much to choose from vs a shop at mood.

• Love 4

In the light of day...

I don't think the disco-y salmon fabric did Duncan? any favors - and, if I recall, he honed in on that pretty quickly. Um, there may be a reason you didn't have to fight for it. (I had an actual disco dress, in a similar fabric and similar color, in the late 70s/early 80s.) He may have been better off waiting a year or so to apply. But I liked his attitude and saw a bit of potential - and teachability.

Still couldn't get on board the saggy yellow thing. It certainly seemed to need some interior support to keep its shape. But whatever. If *she* acknowledges she can learn from others and the experience, she could be interesting. I did like her line of thinking in the preview. I just didn't like her saggy mess that she sent down the runway.

Also thought Austin Girl's garment did her no favors, even though it definitely seemed to match her style as shown in the preview. Girlfriend will need to step it up if she expects to stay past the early weeks.

I was surprised to see the finished product of - dang, the names - the rust-colored garment in the top 3. I saw potential in the preview but her flighty, distracted/ing edit did not hint that she'd end up with something that detailed.

The scrap-bag snuggie thing. How did that end up being safe?

Winning woman: a sentimental part of me wants to see her succeed. But dang. The tears will get old. Hope she toughens up a bit.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 4

I was looking for that PR webpage where they show everyone's individual design from two perspectives and you can magnify the page to see the texture of the material.

It used to be "Rate the Runway".  I always loved looking at the designs on Friday mornings at work, on my HUGE computer monitor.  *LOL*

This appears to be it, on the site under "Photos".  Now it's called "Final Looks", added after each episode.  I guess they don't care about viewers rating anything anymore!

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/photos/season-14-episode-1-final-looks#id=1

• Love 5

The way Tim phrased it, I wasn't sure what he meant. Was it the first time anyone didn't bring a toolkit, or was it the first time they TOLD people to bring their own toolkit. Because things like scissors, rotary cutters, rulers, seam rippers, I can understand why you'd have a favorite one that you're used to and want to bring, but on the other hand, they're also pretty generic and it's perfectly reasonable to think that they'd be provided. They don't make them bring their own sewing machines or mannequins!

That had to be a setup, right? It's the 14th season and I don't recall that ever happening before, but now 3 people do it? Nah. I think that had to be some manufactured drama. 

So... not a horrible start... though I disagree with who they sent home... probably in part because I liked Duncan and thought it'd be interesting to see what else he could do. As someone else mentioned, he seems like one who is very open to criticism and would be listening to the judges and making changes (although I don't know if listening to the judges is always a good thing :P )

I felt like Heidi was giving him a hard time for no real reason...she seemed pissed that he was just graciously accepting their criticism without being like "Gee, yeah, I did awful!" I guess a person who doesn't have some sort public display of emotion about their dashed self esteem every time the judges speak to them doesn't make sense in the producer universe. 

It's too early for me to remember everyone or if I like their designs, but I will say this, I hate Merline. If I had to listen to her "singing" all day, I would have stuck my scissors in her eye. Also, was she really calling it "Muslim" instead of "muslin"? Isn't that sewing 101? I also didn't like her clothes, so basically, I want her gone ASAP.

I think it might just be Living-in-the-world-blessed-with-a-sense-of-hearing 101...she's dumb. I did like her dress though. 

Right! There was something so off about him. I couldn't figure out what it was, but I think you're right that it was some sort of extreme facial peel or something. I think his hair was also different? It looked more flattened down on his head that I think it normally does. He's normally so spiffy and cute!!!

(edited b/c typos!)

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 6

Tim says to every boot "I'm going to have to send you to your work station to clean up your space".   Then we always hear the voice over and see that shot of the dark workroom and the poor rejected designer packing stuff up under the glow of a single, lonely light bulb....*sob*  

Every time. 

I'm not sure why anybody would think they go in there with nothing.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 10