Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: Mad Dash Mayhem

• Start Topic

I would assume it means the same exact thing as it does anywhere else.

It doesn't mean the same thing everywhere though...you can't compare my California "upper middle class" upbringing to my friend's Michigan "upper middle class" or someone's Manhattan "upper middle class" except that we all had a little more than others.

There's the difference in culture, in the costs of things (like housing), exposure to different restaurants and culinary styles, availability of certain classes and extra curricular activities, the stores where people shop, expectations of travel abroad, whether or not there are two incomes, who performs child care, domestic duties, etc. It's really different everywhere.

*ETA: Unless she's actually really wealthy and just said "upper middle class" in an effort to be modest.  But still, I want to know what it meeeaaaannnnssssss.... 

Edited by guilfoyleatpp

Am I crazy or was the "this season on" preview at the beginning and the work this episode kind of encouraging? I'm happy to see more older designers (30 and up) in the mix again and it seems like it's resulting in higher quality work.

• Love 3

Someone needs to tell hot designer guy who designs clothes that "women tell him that men want to have sex with them when they wear them" that men want to have sex with women if they are wearing potato sacks. It's not quite the high praise he seems to think it is.

• Love 14

I'd have aufed pistachio over the guy (still working on names).

Names are going to be impossible this year. The only one I've got down is Hanmiao (because the way Heidi pronounced it stuck with me) and pistachio (because they repeated that clip about the "happy nut") and those two are the same person. Where is my Suede? Where is my Mondo? Merline and Swapnil will be the ones I pick up on next but it's going to take me weeks before I can start sorting out the rest of them. 

• Love 1

Names are going to be impossible this year. The only one I've got down is Hanmiao (because the way Heidi pronounced it stuck with me) and pistachio (because they repeated that clip about the "happy nut") and those two are the same person. Where is my Suede? Where is my Mondo? Merline and Swapnil will be the ones I pick up on next but it's going to take me weeks before I can start sorting out the rest of them. 

I hear ya.

'Cause I don't think I quite realized that Amanda and Lindsey were two different people until I looked at the PR website!

But if Ashley designs for plus-size women (of which I am one), I wish she would design some better looking clothes for herself. I never saw such mis-matched tops and bottoms in my life! It was the proverbial reach "into the clothes basket in the dark and wear whatever you lay your hands on". And her clothes didn't fit her, they were way too tight, it looked like they were going to bust at the seams.

I agree. I liked her winning design well enough, but I didn't much care for her pre-show portfolio, and I don't like her wardrobe, either. For someone who is so dedicated to designing for plus-sized women, she doesn't seem to understand what looks good on them, imo.

Gothy Candice Cuoco (she's GOT to be another sister of Kaley--like that girl Briana Cuoco that was on The Voice a few seasons ago) is surprisingly sunny for a Goth. Maybe it's having that expensive house (from the preview show we saw) that cheers her up.

I was surprised by how many of these designers seemed to be living rather comfortably. Much different from the earlier days, with Christian Siriano sleeping in his closet and Fabio's "freegan" lifestyle.

• Love 2
I couldn't help but notice the model in the grey dress as well. She moved beautifully!

She was also very smart -- all that movement helped disguise the flaws in how the dress fit, and accentuated its more positive features.  I don't need a whole half hour devoted to the models, but I miss seeing how the designer/model relationship works.  (I also appreciated that Gabrielle of the gray dress gave an honest assessment of the flaws in her dress, and hope to see her live up to her own expectations.)

• Love 5

I was surprised by how many of these designers seemed to be living rather comfortably. Much different from the earlier days, with Christian Siriano sleeping in his closet and Fabio's "freegan" lifestyle.

Right! I noticed that too. Candice's house was so nice (don't care for motorcycles in the living room, but I liked the house itself!), and it's in SF, so that house is nooot cheap. Maybe she's got a husband/partner with some sort of lucrative career? For people on this show without a partner to help with the bills, I imagine the "I spend all my time designing clothes because designing clothes is all I want to do" narrative is actually "I go to work all day at x job and design clothes in my free time" (at least for the ones who seem to be living pretty comfortably).

• Love 1

It probably is based on their local cost of living, how much support they get from family and/a spouse, and whether the designer works a job in addition to designing.

Count me in the Zac fan group. It was a quick little moment, but did any of you catch the little happy leap he did when he got a close-up of the waist detailing on Ashley's dress? It was completely adorable, and I would have GIFed it if I were not so technologically slow.

• Love 4

Duncan, you were this season's Sean, but we hardly knew ye.

I think this was a big reason I was fine with losing him. Sean got real annoying and really overrated very quickly.

I like Ashley, but are they going to let her design for a plus size model, since that's her point of view?

They better not pull any BS this year with their "real women" challenge. I want everyone to get a plus size girl this year. Or at least a size 6. 

I was waiting for that to come up.  Though I loved him in the workroom tonight, I continue to believe his time might have passed because he's out of sync.

I'd prefer to lose Nina and Heidi (in that order) before Tim. I didn't watch Under the Gunn but I think a big issue is he doesn't feel like a supportive mentor anymore. He doesn't offer as many helpful critiques as much as criticisms so I don't really know what his role is as much.

I couldn't help but notice the model in the grey dress as well. She moved beautifully! *sigh* Sadly I think that modeling style is as out of date as Supermodels. These days designers prefer generic-looking models with generic-style walks.

The dress didn't impress me on the mannequin but she brought it to life.

Um, there may be a reason you didn't have to fight for it.

I remember Swapnil grabbing for it.

I don't know why they thought we'd care about the designers own closets but I spotted Valentino Rockstud heels and similarly pricey items.

• Love 1

But more likely it was because she knows you don't need a copped length in the front when half the back is gone, kind of like the low-cut vs. short skirt equation.

Don't tell Heidi that. ;)

Tired of Zac Posen knocking designers for lacking originality when virtually all fashion (including his) is a variation on a theme. I continue to think he's a poor choice for a judge; he doesn't have a modern eye for design.

It's cool. That's what Heidi and NIna are there for. 'Cause they're so young so they totally know what's relevant and what the kids are into. 

Ms. I weigh 100 lbs (Lindsey) bugged me from the start. And then her outfit was so pedestrian. Is she going to be Korina for this year? Middling designs with lots of bitchy judgement? I hope not.

There's one who looked like Korina and then she took her hat off. Lindsey didn't even make an H&M or Forever 21 dress. Whoever said Kohl's was right. That outfit couldn't have been more disposable. I don't think it would survive two washes.

• Love 2

It's cool. That's what Heidi and NIna are there for. 'Cause they're so young so they totally know what's relevant and what the kids are into.

Nina is better situated to know what you're average senior citizen wants in fashion.  Oh wait. Nina is apparently actually only 50? Whoops!

Heidi certainly has a better emotional connection to a young market. After all, she wears skirt lengths that would often make girls in their early 20s blush! 

BTW: anyone else NOT surprised by yet ANOTHER new "accessory wall" from yet another place most of us have never heard of?  Shock! Surprise! Nope. None of that.

• Love 5

To the poster who wondered if the Auf'ed guy was one who didn't bring his own tools: No. David forgot (though he can borrow anything he wants from me, but I digress, ahem). Swapnil misunderstood. And Merline chose to abandon hers over an airplane weight restriction issue.

Speaking of Merline: SOMEONE needed to SHUT HER UP. Mayhaps it's not ADHD more than it is a competitive strategy of throwing others off their game.

I agree with the poster who called Fabulous Blake "Gunnar 2.0," for I don't see Austen Scarlett's sweetness and talent.

NO contestant lived better in NYC than Laura Bennett, who now lives quite near me! http://articles.mcall.com/2014-06-06/entertainment/mc-rooms-to-view-laura-shelton-20140606_1_living-room-r-k-laros-finalist

Fine for Ashley. Good for the Big Girl. Big. BIGBIGBIGBIG. Have we said it enough now?

I was very glad to see the NZ neophyte Duncan leave because---shallow I may be---I couldn't abide his accent.

Edited by LennieBriscoe

I have no problem with discussions about "aesthetic" but every new season of PR I am reminded of how ugly the word "garment" is to me.

And I was puzzled that Merline was so hyper-verbal in the work room and then so stoic during judging.  She barely showed pleasure at being in the top three. 

First, Ashley said she was excited to design for model's vs. having to stick to plus size.  So judging her look and future projects based on being for plus size is incorrect.  Its not a regular size fashion competition for everyone but Ashley.  I hope she designs for whatever looks good on her model otherwise she's putting herself at a disadvantage.  As someone with big self-esteem issues it can be REAAALLLY hard to not talk about, not show it, not let it sabotage and shut you down, especially under pressure.  I wish her all the best. (P.S.  I wonder if she is like a shout out to Melissa McCarthy?)

The one guy who has applied for every season finally getting in....seems to reflect the talent level of the show so far.  Granted I have not seen the meet the designers since its not on demand under PR.  But I was "so.....they have had all the talented people on already and this is what's left?"  Still, happy to watch:)

Sorry the loser guy went home, I think he would have been far more interesting than some of the others.  I think his biggest strategic mistake was not doing menswear if that is what he normally does.  To go straight to something you've never done before in the first challenge vs. a littler later was the main problem.  I don't agree with staying safe (and I think that little romper thing was more like Wal-Mart than Kohls) on purpose but he went to the extreme the other way. 

Had he just stopped at and emphasized I do mens wear, IDK maybe it would have saved him. 

I did not like the green and black hankerchief skirt and was surprised no one commented, they hate hankerchief skirts. Not a fan of the designers personality so far either.

The Haitain woman.  That editing was so bizarre.  She has almost nothing to fit on her model, has to go to hair and makeup and then poof.  She has an outfit.  I couldn't tell if it was sewn well?  It sort of seemed not.  Apparently she is actually an architect?  IDK, it was sort of interesting but since it was all one color I couldn't see any detail or something.  Not as impressed as the judges. 

Honestly almost no one seems to have good sewing/tailoring skills.  Edmonds did seem to go from 0 to 100 from Tim's critic to his new dress being well fit...but it was a tube dress so hard to tell. 

I was a little shocked by Tim. He was giving such specific guidance.  "If you don't change this your in trouble.  I would ....".  Up till now he's always been careful to ask questions, have them ask themselves questions, get them to think about it.  Giving them direct advice all comes back to him if they fail or win. Sort of upsetting.   I agree with the poster who thought Tim should have said something about green lighting Duncans dress. 

Heidi's smackdown of the guest judge, dang.  Also noticed something up with Zac's look and thought Heidi was finally showing her age, just a teensy.  Miss Michael Kors..  Not a fan of Z. 

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 3

I was very glad to see the NZ neophyte Duncan leave because---shallow I may be---I couldn't abide his accent.

Really? I loved his New Zealand accent. 

And how tall is little Pistachi-Meow?? I thought there was a litle kid on the runway.  Why would such a pette woman be focusing on over sized designs?

She was definitely very short. When standing on the runway, I was quite surprised at how tiny she was. But I think she said during "Road to the Runway" that she likes to focus on designs that are not sexy. She seems more interested in a boxy form, something not overly feminine in style. So... mission accomplished with that first look, I guess!

I found it funny that during the “Road to Runway” interviews Laurie talked about not liking dresses to be too short and that her design approach avoids that… but it was her dress on the runway that made her model come thisclose to flashing the judges. 

• Love 1

First, Ashley said she was excited to design for model's vs. having to stick to plus size.  So judging her look and future projects based on being for plus size is incorrect.  Its not a regular size fashion competition for everyone but Ashley.

Amen to that! I'm rooting for Ashley all the way. I especially love how many posters were bitching about her own outfits -- this is exactly the reason we need more designers like Ashley out there in the world! Because there is a staggering lack of style for larger or curvier women. You either find outfits that belong on your grandma, mask your shape to the point of tent-like, or they just have no sensical modern style to them whatsoever. (In other words, the clothes are butt ugly and they expect you to buy them anyway because that's all you've got available to you.) It's incredibly frustrating to shop when you have an extra tall or curvy shape. Clothes aren't made with a curvy shape in mind. You basically have to have everything tailored, and if you don't know what's possible to be changed or what would look good because almost nothing out there looks good on a larger frame... it's tough to "see" what looks good. In direct contrast to the volumes of designers and options out there for thinner people, we have very few good examples to look up to.

Therefore, I'm really interested to see what Ashley can do, and I hope she goes far, not only on this show but for the industry as a whole.

• Love 4

The one guy who has applied for every season finally getting in....seems to reflect the talent level of the show so far.  Granted I have not seen the meet the designers since its not on demand under PR.  But I was "so.....they have had all the talented people on already and this is what's left?"

Keep in mind, though, that they picked the people who competed the last three or four competitions plus all the competitors for Under the Gunn for slots before they picked this guy. I haven't seen anything in his collection or the dress he made which suggests that choice was made based on his work and not because somebody thought, say, Sandhya or Miranda or Asha or double dips for Amanda and Kate were better TV. For some reason. 

• Love 1

Random thoughts and musings:

- Candice looks a bit like Corinne Drewery from the group Swing Out Sister.

- A burning question that I don't think has been answered yet: Where was Scott "Mustache Man" Patric? He certainly wasn't in the makeup room!

- If the words "Boston Strong" come out of Kelly's mouth once this season, I will Elvis my TV. She looks like she just walked out of Jackie's Packie from the "Real Housewives of South Boston" YouTube series.

- Special Snowflake Blake's fabric looks better on the woman in this mural on the High Line in Chelsea:

Kobra-mural-Chelsea-NYC.jpg

All in all, not a horrible first episode. Bring on Season 14.

• Love 1

Just curious--if the designers were given some $ to kit themselves with sewing supplies (or am I wrong about that?), then couldn't the producers simply have let them hit the garment district to buy the needed things when it was realized that they hadn't brought any? Maybe take challenge time as a reprimand or penalty? The simple fact is that mistakes happen and yes, the contestants are responsible, but to allow them to be hamstrung doesn't seem reasonable.

I sew--you can't make a decent, well crafted garment without scissors, measuring tools, marking chalk/pens, pins and the like. They might as well just go home.

• Love 1

Does anyone think for a minute that they'll let Ashley design for the plus sized?  I would have loved to see her get a plus size model, instead of the stick figures they use.  Have they ever done a challenge where all the designs had to be for anyone over a size 18?  

In the intro of the show, they had Tim and the designers on Celebrity Summit cruise ship.  I was on that cruise they were on.  They filmed it while the ship was in port in  Bayonne NJ and they were off the ship quite fast.  They blocked off part of the ship, which didn't make people happy.  

There was one dress that I thought was way in poor taste, and that was the one in the wine color that was cut to the bits and pieces of the model.  It was cut far too high and was obnoxious.  I was surprised that the judges didn't include that design in the bottom, and made a comment about that dress being inappropriate.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 4

I didn't notice Zac looking weird but mom thought heidi did. I think too much Botox and white eyeshadow are not her friend. Did not detect filler but yes something was odd.

Heidi had that white inner eye liner thing going on.  I don't know what it looks like in person, but it looks scarey-stupid on tv.

BTW: anyone else NOT surprised by yet ANOTHER new "accessory wall" from yet another place most of us have never heard of?  Shock! Surprise! Nope. None of that.

I've heard of it. I'm just not sure how. I think it must be one of those incessant commercials that you learn to tune out (you know the kind that are on TV all the time or that always play in front of online videos) or it must be one of those sister companies to a main website (like how you sign up for Hautelook or MyHabit and they telling you about this other site you just NEED to join.)

There was one dress that I thought was way in poor taste, and that was the one in the wine color that was cut to the bits and pieces of the model.  It was cut far too high and was obnoxious.  I was surprised that the judges didn't include that design in the bottom, and made a comment about that dress being inappropriate.

I think it was interesting enough to save it this time. Also, I'm willing to bet that Heidi's higher score saved it.

• Love 2

I think she dresses herself horribly and her winning skirt was quite bulky and unflattering. For me, a flirtier type of short skirt would have been better suited to that loud print. But it was the most palatable/commercial garment out of a bad lot, I suppose.

I guess for me she hinted enough at the kind of design she would make with better materials. I did think the skirt was stiff moving down the runway but the design had a simple kind of old-fashioned glamour like Oscar de la Renta.

From Mila's blog posted upthread: "I’m just as gobsmacked as Tim about how someone could not bring a kit or work without tools."

Mila can shut up after her inexplicable praise for David's monstrosity.

I don't have much to add except that I don't like Blake at all.   Whenever bitchy turds like him come along I wonder, who in his/her past furnished the positive reinforcement that led them to believe this was the proper way to behave?   What does being a douche get you?  How does it advance your career to make people dislike you?   I've never understood that.

I guess after a season of recapping Project Runway Threads (which is apparently being rebranded Project Runway Junior as per the guest judge this week) my tolerance is up. He feels a lot like a Threads contestant after a few more years of incubation and I don't find him that annoying... yet.

Blake is doing way too much with the "I design for socialites, people who can afford me." Child, you sent down a dress with a rubber hippie daisy print lining. Please be seated.

I do understand it to some degree because you'd have to be a socialite who takes taxis and cars everywhere to wear Blake's clothes. There's no way I could wear one of his gowns on the subway. One of the 4 yards trailing behind me would get stuck in the doors and that would be the end of me.

Getting real stubborn vibes from Hanmiao.  I think she may be that one designer per season who never listens to anyone.

Me too.

Amen to that! I'm rooting for Ashley all the way. I especially love how many posters were bitching about her own outfits -- this is exactly the reason we need more designers like Ashley out there in the world! Because there is a staggering lack of style for larger or curvier women. You either find outfits that belong on your grandma, mask your shape to the point of tent-like, or they just have no sensical modern style to them whatsoever. (In other words, the clothes are butt ugly and they expect you to buy them anyway because that's all you've got available to you.)

This argument makes no sense to me. You are saying that because there's an absence of designers doing fashion for plus sized women, Ashley - who wants to be, and presents herself as, a designer for larger women - can't make clothes for herself that are interesting and flattering? There should be no limit at all to what's available to her except the limit of her own imagination and talent. If we "need more designers like Ashley", then why does Ashley need someone else to do it so she can wear it? If she does need someone else to do it, why do we need her?

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 4

BTW: anyone else NOT surprised by yet ANOTHER new "accessory wall" from yet another place most of us have never heard of?  Shock! Surprise! Nope. None of that.

I've heard of it. I'm just not sure how. I think it must be one of those incessant commercials that you learn to tune out (you know the kind that are on TV all the time or that always play in front of online videos) or it must be one of those sister companies to a main website (like how you sign up for Hautelook or MyHabit and they telling you about this other site you just NEED to join.)

I've heard of it because it was one of the banner ads for a while on some sites I visit.  It's a kind of a Shoe of the Month type deal - and IMO while it isn't a scam exactly, it walks a thin line, as all those Blank of the Month clubs do.  I'm sure a lot of people fail to realize(because the design of the  site makes this hard to see) that when they buy their first item  they have now joined a club which will automatically deduct 39.95 from their account every month:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/the-biggest-scam-in-online-fashion-1410935207

http://www.literallydarling.com/blog/2014/01/10/justfab-not-so-fab/

About the JustFab website use of dark pattern design:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/27/not-so-vip/

ETA: damn my proofreading sucks.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

This argument makes no sense to me. You are saying that because there's an absence of designers doing fashion for plus sized women, Ashley - who wants to be, and presents herself as, a designer for larger women - can't make clothes for herself that are interesting and flattering? There should be no limit at all to what's available to her except the limit of her own imagination and talent. If we "need more designers like Ashley", then why does Ashley need someone else to do it so she can wear it? If she does need someone else to do it, why do we need her?

That's not actually what I meant. 

I meant that we need designers like Ashley who are willing to design for a variety of sizes.

Ashley doesn't need someone else to design so she can wear it -- I'm just saying there's not much out there RIGHT NOW for any of us who are above a size 10 or 12, so she has to make it herself in order to be stylish. But she shouldn't have to make every outfit herself in order to be stylish. Like a chef shouldn't have to cook for himself or herself all the time -- sometimes the chef wants to be able to dine elsewhere and enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor. She should (and we all should) have more to choose from out there. But we need her and others like her to put more out there, because what's out there sucks!

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

Re: Upper-middle class Alabamians:

I would assume it means the same exact thing as it does anywhere else.

Pretty much.  We buy slightly higher quality grits and watch our college football on fractionally larger TVs.

• Love 8

Heidi's smackdown of the guest judge, dang. 

LOVED IT!! When guest judge said the one thing she didn't like about Edmonds dress was the green and she would have liked it in all black..and Heidi countered that she liked the green or otherwise we would have another basic "Little Black Dress"  - Have to give that up to Heidi!!!

Can't argue with who went home even though I would have loved to see more from him.  But that dress was just a mess; and to top it off he got the one model whose coloring made it look even worse.

Loved Ashley's outfit; even though I too would have loved to see the skirt in a shorter version.   But, I also agree with the outfit Ashley was wearing.  I love the mixing of patterns and textures but her outfit had nothing that looked right together.

I liked Blake's material and when the dress was coming down the runway it actually looked okay; but then the close ups of the bad sewing, the ballooning at the bottom just everything made it so bad.

I kinda liked Merline's outfit.  Didn't like the color or material but I liked the design of it.

But she [Ashley] shouldn't have to make every outfit herself in order to be stylish.

Agreed.  But if she's a designer on a design show saying she's trying to make stylish plus-size clothes, she dang well should be making stuff for herself to wear that shows what she means.  If she means to flatter a fuller figure, then what she wears does not do that.  If she means more of a "wear the same styles that thin people wear only in bigger sizes", then, okay, but as a fuller figured woman myself, this is not what I want in clothes.  Merline actually came much closer to designing something that would flatter a larger figure (without the cutoff sides), IMO, especially an apple shape (my bane in life).  YMMV.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 4

Pistachio woman reminded me of a character on In Living Color...Miss Swan I think.

I am glad Ashley won...I just hope she uses the win to fuel her confidence. Often times we larger people feel insecure in a group, expecting that people expect little from us and it can be hard to feel you have a place in the group. I think that may also explain the abundance of tears.

An unconventional challenge next week already? I hope this doesn't turn into the show it was last year....too many gimmick style challenges and not enough to show if the designers can actually make clothing from their own selected fabrics

And I too was laughing at the no frill/ no name style wall. Next year all accessories will be hand crafted by Heidi's kids from their arts and crafts classes. macaroni necklaces go with all styles.

...I miss the days when designers chose their models. One of my favorite quotes: "it's a mother ***** walk off!"

Edited by English Teacher
  • Love 7

There was one dress that I thought was way in poor taste, and that was the one in the wine color that was cut to the bits and pieces of the model.  It was cut far too high and was obnoxious.  I was surprised that the judges didn't include that design in the bottom, and made a comment about that dress being inappropriate.

The only thing that would surprise me about this dress would be if Heidi didn't order it in 5 colors.

• Love 5

The wine colored dress of Laurie's could have been lovely and still spunky if she had made the slit/length 6-8 inches longer. I don't want to see a model's hoo-hah. Zac wouldn't either.

• Love 2

As a plus size woman, the one thing that bothers me about so many of my plus size sisters is that they feel it's OK to dress sloppy.  I see so many larger women wearing so many wrong things, unkempt hair and all the rest, probably because they feel that  due to their size, they can't look good, and that's BS.  Unfortunately, I think Ashley looked sloppy in the clothes she wore.  No excuse to look like a dumpster diver, and if she wants to be taken seriously by those of us who would LOVE great designs in larger sizes, she needs to step up and start looking better.  Back in the early '90's, there were a number of big name designers who DID design for plus sizes, including Oscar de la Renta ((I have a beautiful beaded jacket designed by him).  I don't know why designers have abandoned the plus size market, because the average size for a woman in the US is a 14/16.  

Doesn't it seem like they have the same "type" of designers every season?  You have the tattoo'd one with the black dyed hair,  at least one bitch with an attitude, a couple with foreign accents, the skinny ones who look like a slight wind would blow them away and of course, the usually wonderfully talented gay men.  

Please forgive me, but who's Pistachio woman?

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 2

As a plus size woman, the one thing that bothers me about so many of my plus size sisters is that they feel it's OK to dress sloppy.  I see so many larger women wearing so many wrong things, unkempt hair and all the rest, probably because they feel that  due to their size, they can't look good, and that's BS.

It may not be that some feel they can't look good -- it's more that they don't know how to look good, especially with the size they're currently in and what's available out there. Additionally, some don't FEEL good about the size they are (or so much more about themselves), and that reflects in the clothing they wear, to be "invisible."

Psychologically speaking, there's a lot more to it than simply being "sloppy." And until they fix the mental part, the outside isn't going to get better. (I speak from experience on that one.)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 7

I'm not saying Ashley looked really good (although I think she didn't look horrible except for the purple hair), but she didn't look any worse than a lot of designers over the seasons who have worn sloppy shorts and tanks on the runway. In this season, I thought she looked better than Kelly, who reminds me of Sarah Jessica Parker in Square Pegs.

• Love 3

Back in the early '90's, there were a number of big name designers who DID design for plus sizes, including Oscar de la Renta ((I have a beautiful beaded jacket designed by him).  I don't know why designers have abandoned the plus size market, because the average size for a woman in the US is a 14/16.  

I should say that I absolutely agree with your point, but I don't see Oscar de la Renta as much of a role model. He was viciously unpleasant about women who were more than a sample size until he started designing for plus-sized first lady Barbara Bush (he explained his size restrictions by saying he was not an upholsterer). I suspect that your jacket was designed by someone who worked for a company which bought the right to use his name who had fewer issues. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Doesn't it seem like they have the same "type" of designers every season?  You have the tattoo'd one with the black dyed hair,  at least one bitch with an attitude, a couple with foreign accents, the skinny ones who look like a slight wind would blow them away and of course, the usually wonderfully talented gay men. 

We seem to be missing the obligatory older woman who we want to root for but who just can't measure up.

I think the oldest woman might be um... Kelly? who talks in a little girl voice. I keep wanting to say "ENOUGH with sounding like a high school kid! You're in your 30's! Talk like it!"

• Love 2

I really don't understand why Ashely is being discussed in terms of her clothes and who she used to design for?  I don't remember the boards here or anywhere else going on and on about the way any of the other designers dress other than a comment here or there.

Certainly no one goes on about how the men dress vs. how they design. 

I just can't believe it.  Because she's fat everyone focuses on the way she dresses?  There have been so many past designers with ugly  tattoos and disgusting finger nails and very specific make up,  hair color, bad hair on lots of the men, and yes stupid clothes, some of which looked like their "ess tet ic" and sometimes nothing like.  Not to mention the 70% that just dress in t-shirts and jeans and other normal slubby clothes.  I don't remember that all being chewed on. 

Several designers have been on the show who only designed mens wear.  They don't usually do that much mens wear on the show. 

Doesn't get discussed either.

I don't care what she wears.  I don't care that she has been designing for plus women or that she's plus sized.  She's in a design competition where everyone is competing to design fashion for skinny models.  Her weight has shaped her identity some like many of the designers who have some sort of past of gay, foreign whatever.  I've been supportive of  them and I'm the same for Ashley. 

• Love 14

Does anyone think for a minute that they'll let Ashley design for the plus sized?  I would have loved to see her get a plus size model, instead of the stick figures they use.  Have they ever done a challenge where all the designs had to be for anyone over a size 18?  

They have done several "Real Woman" challenges in the past where some of the women they have designed for are plus size. It never makes much of an impression though because the thinnest of the real women win every single time. 

• Love 5

They have done several "Real Woman" challenges in the past where some of the women they have designed for are plus size. It never makes much of an impression though because the thinnest of the real women win every single time.

I think that was the point of the original post. They wanted to know if there has ever been a challenge in which every single one of the models was plus sized. I can't seem to recall one like that, ever.

Even if they did do something like that, it would still not be entirely "fair" unless the models were all relatively the same size like the toothpicks they normally dress. Although I'm not a designer, I would imagine designing for a size eighteen is different than designing for a size 24. Particularly depending on how the model carries her weight.

• Love 4