Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

HBO to all the other networks: Thanks for all the promotion tonight.

Best Comedy, Drama, TV Movie, and Limited Series.

HBO really is the King of thrones.

Hey if it's on HBO it must be quality. I think the people who pass out these awards see that the show is on HBO and automatically give it whatever award it is up for...deservedly or not. Because we all know none of these guys actually watch any of these shows...even accounting for different tastes. Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I'm glad to see Tracy Morgan doing better, but I am so sick of him of "joking" of getting someone pregnant.  On practically every late night talk show appearance I've seen him on, he's made a similar "joke."

It's his "joke". It's basically his calling card. If you are going to a Tracy Morgan mock, you have to throw that in there. It's like doing Seinfeld and doing a "What's the deal with..." bit. So, it's funny to me.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 5

Andy Samburg did a great job, in my opinion. Made the Emmys a whole lot more fun than they have been in the past, without any real cringe worthy moments. Way to go Andy! I knew you could do it!

Yeah, I thought Samburg was actually pretty good.  A few moments that might have not fully worked, but I laughed more then I normally did.  I won't be against him hosting a future telecast or another award show.

Of course, in fantasy land, I would kill for John Oliver to host one of these things.

• Love 3

Viola could have done a mic drop after that speech.  She nails it every time.  And her mentioning the other actresses of color was such a classy touch.

I do think Tatiana is amazing on Orphan Black, but Viola is the best part of HTGAWM.  I would have been happy if either of them won.

Go Veep!  Loved the selfie with Mel Brooks.

• Love 6
Is there anyone here who does watch "How To Get Away With Murder"?

I do. I'm happy for Viola although I actually thought Robin Wright would win.

And it feels so weird to me that Mad Men didn't win for that final episode.

I don't think it was the strongest episode of the final season. Plus, a lot of people were not happy about that ending for Don.

I tried and tried to like HTGAWM. It's a show that I should have loved, the premise was right up my alley. But watching it became torture for me and I had to finally give up. I think it was because of the annoying repetition of certain scenes like the bonfire and the fact that there wasn't a single character that I could stand.

• Love 4

Tatiana Maslany should have won.  There is no one on TV is doing what she's doing.  I think Viola Davis is great but IMO there is just no comparison to Maslany for the range she has with 6 different characters.

Oh well. At least she was nominated.

I'm just glad Maslany was nominated at all, as the Emmys tend to be the absolute worst with recognizing new talent, especially for non-major/HBO networks and non-movie stars. The Golden Globes are much more progressive. A win was probably too much to ask. Viola's speech was amazing and she seemed genuinely moved. Did my eyes deceive me or was Viola promoted on the little screen crawl as Oscar winner?

So glad the Modern Family worship is over - it was a great show at the beginning but all those awards every year was just lazy. A little confused about the sudden Veep love but that show is completely hilarious. I'm sad that the excellent An Honourable Woman was overlooked for sad-sack Olive Kitteridge.

And finally ... oh, Tracy Morgan. My robot heart warmed for you. After Eva Cassidy's song and him ... who is cutting onions???

• Love 1

I hadn't watched the Emmys in years, so I was surprised they don't show clips of the nominated shows and actors. Well, technically they did, but with the presenter talking over the 3 second clip. What happened?? I remember there used to be like 30 second clips of the nominees. Or am confusing that with the Oscars; another awards show I haven't seen in years.

• Love 1

"Is there anyone here who does watch "How To Get Away With Murder"?"

(On my iPad so can't use the other settings but) I do. As someone who doesn't watch other Shondaland shows I enjoy it for her though the rest of it is a mixed bag.

• Love 2

Makes me feel like Frances didn't want to be there.

I'm an hour behind the posts, so sorry, but my goodness!  Frances McDormand isn't wearing any makeup, either.  There has to be something going on here.  Did her pet die today or some other unexpected stumbling block?  Very odd.

And yes, watch Olive Kittredge.  I gave up the first time around, fell in love on the second attempt.

• Love 2

Wow, I hadn't realized that HBO took every Best ______ Show. That is very impressive.

I did very poorly in my pools. I guessed wrong where I thought they would recognize new shows. I guessed wrong where I thought they'd do a "lifetime award" except for Hamm. Many of the "professional" web prognosticators were wrong.

But overall it was a good show,. It moved well and none of the bits dragged things down to much. Sandberg was funny & a little edgy without being in bad taste. (I'm a huge fan of offensive comedy but the Emmys isn't the place for that.)

Overall I can't recall a year my predictions were so off but stil very much enjoyed it.

As a long time fan of Mad Men, I'm glad Jon Hamm finally won(and so glad Tina Fey presented it(his appearances on 30 Rock still make me laugh). Even though the "Hardhome" episode was impressive this wasn't Game of Thrones best year. Tracy Morgan made me cry and Will Forte as Inspector Javert made me LOL.

• Love 1

Frances McDormand isn't wearing any makeup, either.  There has to be something going on here.  Did her pet die today or some other unexpected stumbling block?  Very odd.

(I mentioned this earlier in this topic, but 15 minutes late so not surprising it got swallowed up:) That's what she does for award shows. In fact this was quite dressed up, for her under these circumstances. Here is her glamour shot after winning a Tony Award a couple of years ago.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 6

I'm very surprised that the Emmys will not be shown in primetime on the West Coast.  Usually the shows repeat if they are broadcast live (then repeated at 8:00 PT).  Glad to have this thread and realize I am not longing to give three hours to this.  Thanks, everyone! 

I really enjoy the show and Viola kills in it like she does everything.

Hell ya! Great show. And yeah, Viola is quite deserving of this honour. She is absolutely fabulous on the show! I would say I am torn between Tatiana Maslany and Viola Davis. Really tough one, tbh. Probably TM isn't as well known as Viola, so there you go.

Apparently Viola is the first black woman to win an Emmy for Lead Actress - Drama. Awesome!!! (but sad it took so long.....)

• Love 5

I was really happy to see how strong the female categories were. Like, it would have been awesome to see Amy win, but Julia is like Bryan Cranston: it would be nice to see another name announced, but you still love the win for that person. You can not argue why they are so dominant.

The only person I really didn't want to see win in Best Actress/Drama was Claire Danes. Otherwise, I would have been ecstatic for the other 4. Tatiana will get her award, but I am soooo happy to see Viola win and use that platform for good. It was also amazing to see how happy Taraji was for Viola.

Viola almost made me cry, such a great speech, I, too, loved her mentions of other black lead actresses. So happy for her and Regina King.

Also glad Modern Family didn't win. Find that show about as funny Andy S. Never heard of him before and after tonight, hearing him again will be too soon. Horribly unfunny, ymmv, of course, but I didn't think the audience was too amused most of the night either.

• Love 2

I'm just glad Maslany was nominated at all, as the Emmys tend to be the absolute worst with recognizing new talent, especially for non-major/HBO networks and non-movie stars. The Golden Globes are much more progressive. A win was probably too much to ask. Viola's speech was amazing and she seemed genuinely moved. Did my eyes deceive me or was Viola promoted on the little screen crawl as Oscar winner?

I saw that, too, something along the lines, "Oscar Winner Viola Davis Appears in 12 Minutes", like how they tease Santa "coming up" at the Macy's parade. She has already won Tonys and a SAG Award and was Oscar-nominated for The Help. Perhaps the person who writes the screen crawls was pissed about Meryl winning that year, lol. 

Finally, Jon Hamm! Even with Martin Sheen never winning for The West Wing (another Emmy travesty), it was awarded in other acting categories. I guess it's fitting that JH gets to be the first (and last) actor to win an Emmy for Mad Men.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

I do. Initially, like masonlamps above, found it repetitive. However, once it got to the latter part of the season, those scenes wove into the overall mystery. I love it now. 

• Love 2
She has already won Tonys and a SAG Award and was Oscar-nominated for The Help.

Oh, I didn't know that!! That's why I saw EGOT comments everywhere.

E - Emmy (check)

G - Grammy

O - Oscar (nominated check)

T - Tony (check)

Okay, someone get Viola to sing please!!

• Love 3

Didn't turn it on until halfway through the "variety series" portion and was doing homework at the same time, but my thoughts:

FINALLY for Jon Hamm. Phew, I can sleep tonight. But I can't help but be pissed off that this Emmy is the only acting Emmy that Mad Men will ever win, which doesn't make a lick of sense. That show depended on a strong cast to survive; if people didn't care about any of the characters it wouldn't have lasted longer than a season. The fact that Christina Hendricks has nothing concrete to show for her stellar work as Joan is criminal, honestly. Same with Elisabeth Moss for Peggy. And January Jones should at least have been nominated for "The Milk and Honey Route." And I'm not saying that the awards for Hendricks or Moss should have come this year, but seven seasons and eight award shows later and neither of them have anything? Boggles the mind and makes it hard for me to truly enjoy Hamm's much deserved win.

Sad that Kate McKinnon has gone another year without an Emmy. She's the greatest thing that's happened to SNL in years and sometimes is the only thing that will keep me watching until the end of a particularly terrible episode, since I'm afraid of missing something brilliant that she might do.

Sad for a third loss for Joanne Froggatt, but at least she has one more year. If she never wins an Emmy for Anna I will rage so goddamn hard.

Nothing for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? Boooooo. But at least it's early days with that show.

So stoked about Viola. She's the best thing about HTGAWM, and I generally like most of that show; it's the overall trashy TV I need to wind down after a long week. Her speech was awesome, she's awesome, and I can't wait for the triumphant return of Annalise Keating on Thursday.

• Love 3

I really enjoy the show and Viola kills in it like she does everything.

I watched HTGAWM.  For Viola Davis.  And she's spectacular.  Which would be fine if she was carrying her show on her back in anywhere close to the way that Tatiana Maslany does Orphan Black.  But VD doesn't.  Half the show's about her students (Annalise Keating's a high powered criminal attorney/law professor) and just about everything about those students (none of whom is played by an even competent actor) is not merely not very good...but horrible.  The cases Keating takes are ridiculous and are resolved in a manner that would make Perry Mason's work look subtle and intricate and nuanced (and needlessly ethical).  And the season long murder mystery that comprises the ongoing story arc is even more ridiculous than Keating's typical cases are.  HTGAWM is atrocious.  Viola Davis reading the phone book (great idea vb68!) during those periods designated in the script for other characters would markedly improve the show.

I'm glad Viola won (seriously!)...for the reasons she focused on in her amazing speech.  About fucking time!  The fact that she's a phenomenal actress helped, and her "movie star" status with Oscar nom cred didn't hurt either.  Should she, objectively speaking, have won though?  Well, um, no.  She nabbed the statuette and the woman who should have won got herself a can of beans as a symbolic tribute.

Am I bitter?  Not at all.  Predicted (way back upthread) that either VD or TPH would win.  Unless a tidal wave of  Mad Men support developed, and Elizabeth Moss Hammed it up and snagged the award for MM career achievement.  The nom was Tat's consolation prize.  Who'da ever thunk she'd score a can of beans on top of that?  Helena will be stoked!  Road trip!

ETA: And way to go VD for giving a shout out to my girl Nicole Beharie when reciting her litany of noteworthy African American actresses currently on the scene.  When the noms first came out, I posted on the OB forum: "I find Nicole Beharie, Caitriona Balfe, and Tat the most exciting actresses on TV...inasmuch as, for me, they're discoveries.  Their work on their current shows is really the first time any of them has registered on my radar.  They are, so to (mis)speak, just beginning.  I see (or hope to see) even greater things than they're currently showing us in their futures.  Which is exciting."

Edited by dampfire
  • Love 3

Oh, I didn't know that!! That's why I saw EGOT comments everywhere.

E - Emmy (check)

G - Grammy

O - Oscar (nominated check)

T - Tony (check)

Okay, someone get Viola to sing please!!

Viola so could win a Grammy for best spoken word . It doesn't even matter what she is reading.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

Glad for Viola Davis' win, even if I think HtGAwM is a weak show outside of her performance. I would've liked to have seen Lena Headey and Finn Wittrock win, too, but I don't know the other nominees to say they deserved to lose instead.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

I'm so happy that Jon Hamm finally won. But he's not the only person who should have an acting Emmy for Mad Men- in my opinion, Christina Hendricks, John Slattery and Elisabeth Moss should all have at least one Emmy each for their roles on that show too. But if it would have been criminal if the guy who played Don Draper of all of them never won, so I'm glad he finally did.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 4

(I mentioned this earlier in this topic, but 15 minutes late so not surprising it got swallowed up:) That's what she does for award shows. In fact this was quite dressed up, for her under these circumstances. Here is her glamour shot after winning a Tony Award a couple of years ago.

I fell asleep during Tracy Morgan, so I remained a day late and a dollar short for the whole Emmy experience, but I wanted to thank you for directing me to this picture (which made me LOL!)  I like FMcD, so I feel better now.

• Love 1

I don't understand the criticisms of Frances McDiormand's appearance. She is the one actor who showed up completely honest about her real self: she's not dyed, primped, made up, or starved. Good for her. It's a very 1970s feminist kind of thing to do.

wg

• Love 13

LOL except I don't think the presenters actually know who the winner is.

I know the presenters don't know, but my guess is someone knows and figured it would be a nice moment for Tina Fey to present him the award.  I don't believe that is coincidence. 

Glad someone beat Modern Family, even though I like the show.  And I wish it was not Veep. 

• Love 1

I watched HTGAWM. For Viola Davis. And she's spectacular. Which would be fine if she was carrying her show on her back in anywhere close to the way that Tatiana Maslany does Orphan Black. But VD doesn't. Half the show's about her students (Annalise Keating's a high powered criminal attorney/law professor) and just about everything about those students (none of whom is played by an even competent actor) is not merely not very good...but horrible. The cases Keating takes are ridiculous and are resolved in a manner that would make Perry Mason's work look subtle and intricate and nuanced (and needlessly ethical). And the season long murder mystery that comprises the ongoing story arc is even more ridiculous than Keating's typical cases are. HTGAWM is atrocious. Viola Davis reading the phone book (great idea vb68!) during those periods designated in the script for other characters would markedly improve the show.

I'm glad Viola won (seriously!)...for the reasons she focused on in her amazing speech. About fucking time! The fact that she's a phenomenal actress helped, and her "movie star" status with Oscar nom cred didn't hurt either. Should she, objectively speaking, have won though? Well, um, no. She nabbed the statuette and the woman who should have won got herself a can of beans as a symbolic tribute.

Am I bitter? Not at all. Predicted (way back upthread) that either VD or TPH would win. Unless a tidal wave of Mad Men support developed, and Elizabeth Moss Hammed it up and snagged the award for MM career achievement. The nom was Tat's consolation prize. Who'da ever thunk she'd score a can of beans on top of that? Helena will be stoked! Road trip!

ETA: And kudos to VD for giving a shout out to my girl Nicole Beharie when reciting her litany of noteworthy African American actresses currently on the scene. When the noms first came out, I posted on the OB forum: "I find Nicole Beharie, Caitriona Balfe, and Tat the most exciting actresses on TV...inasmuch as, for me, they're discoveries. Their work on their current shows is really the first time any of them has registered on my radar. They are, so to (mis)speak, just beginning. I see (or hope to see) even greater things than they're currently showing us in their futures. Which is exciting."

The performance Viola gave in the episode featuring Cicely Tyson nabbed her that Emmy. She went in on that performance and she carries the show on her back in ways most female leads don't. I have zero problem with her winning. Edited by Racj82
  • Love 5

Makes me feel like Frances didn't want to be there.

This is really my issue with Frances McDormand. I don't care what she wears and if doesn't want to put on makeup and brush her hair but what bugs me is the sour, downright annoyed demeanor where she acts like someone held a gun to her head to force her to come to the show. 

She started with this last year at the SAG and the GG and it's like for crying out loud woman, if this is some "I'm such a serious actor and can't stand silly award shows" then just don't freaking come. Bill Murray didn't and he still won. They'll send the Emmy to you. And I agree with someone that I do not remember Frances being this way years ago when she swept the award shows for Fargo. She was never exactly giddy and giggly but she smiled and looked happy and happy to be there. 

I do. The show definitely has its problems but Viola was always amazing. And as someone said, if she submitted the episode when Cicely Tyson showed up, which is probably likely, then I definitely see why she won. Personally the only person I wasn't rooting for in that category was Taraji P. Henson. I'm sorry, I watched Empire and the critical love for that show baffles me. Because at least with Viola, while she is always praised, HTGAWM hasn't been a critical darling. Empire is and I have no idea why. 

It was nice to see some new winners (even though voters couldn't help themselves with that Alison Janney 3-peat win and Julia Louis Dreyfuss again), particularly the Best Comedy Series category. But seriously, it had to go to someone else because was there ANYONE there rooting for Modern Family? It felt like EVERYONE was over it - hell I think some of the cast and producers were as well because they knew no one was rooting for them to win again. 

Question, did Uzo Aduba make history winning two Emmy's in two different categories for the same character? Seems like something that wouldn't have happened too often in the show's history. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

This is really my issue with Frances McDormand. I don't care what she wears and if doesn't want to put on makeup and brush her hair but what bugs me is the sour, downright annoyed demeanor where she acts like someone held a gun to her head to force her to come to the show. 

She started with this last year at the SAG and the GG and it's like for crying out loud woman, if this is some "I'm such a serious actor and can't stand silly award shows" then just don't freaking come. Bill Murray didn't and he still won. They'll send the Emmy to you. And I agree with someone that I do not remember Frances being this way years ago when she swept the award shows for Fargo. She was never exactly giddy and giggly but she smiled and looked happy and happy to be there. 

Could it be she's struggling with depression in a way that she wasn't before? Just a speculation.

Of course, since she's an actress (and a superb one), she could approach showing up at the Emmys as just another role, one that called for her to be a happy person, and she could play that. But I guess she doesn't want to. And she chooses to show up anyway, which is her privilege. I'm not saying I don't have the same reaction as you, I'm just saying that if we can't accept a person being visibly unhappy, maybe that's something for us to work on rather than her.

• Love 10
I'm just saying that if we can't accept a person being visibly unhappy, maybe that's something for us to work on rather than her.

Honestly it's not that serious and deep to me that I would call it "not accepting her being visibly unhappy". To me it goes no deeper than commenting on someone's outfit, a lame bit, someone being annoying in their speech, etc. It's something that's noticeable to me - that she looks like she doesn't want to be there and so I'm not sure why she's coming if she doesn't want to. Frances McDormand does not consume my thoughts that much beyond that passing observation. 

• Love 2

The Emmy's are much more enjoyable when I can fast forward. I hung in live until 10 and then caught up with the rest (in 10 minutes) this morning. I'm glad John Hamm finally got an Emmy but feel like the rest of the cast was deserving as well. Did I hear correctly that he has been nominated 16 times and this was his first win? That's nuts! Mad Men should have certainly taken best drama which brings me to my next rant. I'm behind the times. I don't have HBO or Netflix (I have basic extended cable which is expensive enough). With so many HBO and Netflix shows winning awards I feel like there should be sub-categories within the big categories. Such as, Best Actor in a Comedy airing on non basic extended cable. I know, I know, it's ridiculous and I'm showing my age here but it sucks the fun out of award shows when things win that I don't even have access to. Game of Thrones may be the best show EVER! But, I'm never going to have HBO so it's winning is lost on me. 

It was good to see Tracy Morgan- that surprised me! I also thought Andy Samburg did a good job. I stopped watching SNL long before he came on the scene but I enjoy Brooklyn 99 so I'm glad he did a good job here. 

• Love 1

I do. The show definitely has its problems but Viola was always amazing. And as someone said, if she submitted the episode when Cicely Tyson showed up, which is probably likely, then I definitely see why she won. Personally the only person I wasn't rooting for in that category was Taraji P. Henson. I'm sorry, I watched Empire and the critical love for that show baffles me. Because at least with Viola, while she is always praised, HTGAWM hasn't been a critical darling. Empire is and I have no idea why. 

It was nice to see some new winners (even though voters couldn't help themselves with that Alison Janney 3-peat win and Julia Louis Dreyfuss again), particularly the Best Comedy Series category. But seriously, it had to go to someone else because was there ANYONE there rooting for Modern Family? It felt like EVERYONE was over it - hell I think some of the cast and producers were as well because they knew no one was rooting for them to win again. 

Question, did Uzo Aduba make history winning two Emmy's in two different categories for the same character? Seems like something that wouldn't have happened too often in the show's history. 

I doubt it has ever happened but I don't know for sure. 

The categorization kind of bugs me too.  Why was she a "guest actress" one year and a "supporting actress" a different year? 

Same thing with Margo Martindale on The Americans this year.  why is she now a "guest actress".  She has a regular role on the show.  I realize the roles changes and the parts change in terms of how much they may be on the show year to year, but I don't consider either Martindale this year or Uzo Aduba in prior years a guest actress.  I think both are and always have been supporting actresses on the shows. 

Has nothing to do with their work on the shows in questions.  They both performed magnificentally. 

But there are just so many shows on now and many, many actresses and actors that not only go unrecognized in terms of wins but often just in terms of nominations.  Its bad enough that the nominations often seem to be based on past success and popularity.  Add on top of that the academy is pretty nondescript many times with what constitutes being in which category and it causes I think problems with the nomination and voting process. 

• Love 1

I doubt it has ever happened but I don't know for sure.

Andy Samberg made a joke about this in his monologue.  Ed Asner won for playing Lou Grant in two different categories (Drama and Comedy), albeit on two different shows.

• Love 1

What is John Stamos' secret to not aging?

Also, why can't we actually see the awards for best guest stars given out?

Bradley Whitford is rocking the Philip Marlowe look.

Responding to the bolded. We can see them presented. They present the Best Comedy/Drama Guest Actors/Actresses during the Creative Arts Emmy Awards (all the behind the scenes stuff except for writing & directing).

Those actually aired (in a taped & edited version--in some categories, the nominees weren't read; in others, the acceptance speeches were obviously shortened) on the FXX channel--twice, back-to-back--Saturday night (& were awarded to the winners the previous Saturday night). They usually air on some cable network close to the Primetime Emmys airing, you just have to check your local listings. This year, since Fox had the main awards, the Creative Arts awards aired on 1 of their sister channels, FXX.

As for Bradley Whitford, TV Guide posted an apparently explanatory article on his fedora on their site last night.

It seems he's playing the late Vice-President & Minnesota Senator Hubert H. Humphrey in the upcoming HBO version of a play Bryan Cranston recently starred in as President Lyndon B. Johnson, & he apparently is keeping wraps on the hairstyle/receding hairline (although Bradley already had something of 1 in real life) he's had to take on for the role. Hence the fedora (he also wore 1 when he accepted his Comedy Guest Actor Emmy last week, when this year's Creative Arts Emmys were actually presented).

http://www.tvguide.com/news/bradley-whitford-emmys-fedora-transparent/

• Love 1
I watched Empire and the critical love for that show baffles me. Because at least with Viola, while she is always praised, HTGAWM hasn't been a critical darling. Empire is and I have no idea why.

Empire is fun and crazy and over the top and unlike anything on TV right now.

I don't understand all the comments about spoilers. Haven't these shows all aired? I always think it's amusing that people think that no one should discuss a show just because they haven't seen it yet.

I didn't get the complaints either.  I mean if the show has aired, in some cases months ago, why shouldn't they talk about the ending?  How long should they wait to talk about the endings, a decade?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
The categorization kind of bugs me too.  Why was she a "guest actress" one year and a "supporting actress" a different year?

My guess is she wasn't a regular the first season and now is, especially since she's been the most awarded of the cast. 

I don't understand all the comments about spoilers. Haven't these shows all aired? I always think it's amusing that people think that no one should discuss a show just because they haven't seen it yet.

This. I am sorry but once something has aired, in my opinion, it's no longer a spoiler. So I can't get all huffy for example, if something about how Mad Men ended was shown in a montage just because I decided to only get into the show now and am working my way through it on Netflix. 

Empire is fun and crazy and over the top and unlike anything on TV right now.

Yes fun and crazy but in my opinion, it's nothing more than a glorified soap opera set in the hip hop/music world, much like Downton Abbey is just a glorified soap opera with period pieces. Yes, it's fun and I get why it has high ratings but I don't get the critical love and all the anger some had that it wasn't nominated for Best Drama. I find the writing average, the plots over the top and much of the acting mediocre. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

To some of you previous posters regarding Frances McDormand:
Her name is spelled F-r-a-n-c-E-s. Not with an "i". We Franceses are very particular about that!
Whatever she chooses to wear is FINE.  It's nice to see a woman at an awards show that doesn't look like she was extruded from a plastic mold injection machine. And anyway, she's up there for her body of work.

Disappointed for Key and Peele; sharing the general happiness for Jon "that's what the money's for!" Hamm. He's excellent.

and finally:

Study Viola Davis' dress. That is a classically beautiful, elegant gown. Designers everywhere, get it through your heads! Understated and beautiful wins the day.

• Love 2

I can understand people not liking Empire as a whole (even though I sure as hell do) but Taraji's performance can't be slighted IMO. She gave her all to it. Rarely, has a character on a TV show struck so hard right off the bat like Cookie Lyon did. I'm pretty sure she hooked most people by whooping Hakeem's ass with a broom. The love for Taraji and the show are in a lot of ways too different things. Why people wanted to see it nominated was basically, IMO, because it was so well received. Not a perfect show but it gives most people exactly what they want in a show like that. It's a huge success story so I think people just wanted to see it get recognized (not necessarily win).

I'm personally tired of complaints about spoilers. I say, you get a full week to watch something. After that, no one should feel the need to appease someone elses viewing habits. I watch stuff when it airs. If I don't, for whatever reason, I don't get mad about spoilers. At that point, it's on me.

• Love 5

Why was she a "guest actress" one year and a "supporting actress" a different year?

I believe to be eligible for guest actress you can appear to UP TO 6 episodes in a particular season.  I can't remember if she was defined as such in the first year.

Did I hear correctly that he has been nominated 16 times and this was his first win?

Yes, you heard correctly and I was surprised as well so I checked out his IMDB page. He's also listed as producer of Mad Men for 2012-2015, so he was included in any nominations for Best Drama. Add in three for 30 Rock and one for Kimmy Schmidt, and there's your 16 noms.

The spoiler thing is nonsense. People so often don't watch TV shows when they air these days that it's impossible to remain spoiler-free, and silly for anyone to wag a finger because they haven't gotten through their On Demand list yet.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 1