Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

RuPaul is now an Emmy winner for Best Reality Host!   I love it!

The fact that Margo won for her appearance in The Americans suggests that people may not have watched the Horace and Pete show. 

Oh, I'm sure very few of them watched it.  Plus they (Academy voters) are just now starting to come to terms with streaming on Netflix and Amazon, but it's still very much a work in progress.  I can see where a show that an actor is streaming from his own website would leave them scratching their heads.  The nominations were the wins for Horace and Pete.

• Love 2

Tom Hanks deserves his awards but I would not have predicted his career trajectory based on Bosom Buddies in which I thought Scolari was the better performer, is what I was trying to say.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The fact that Margo won for her appearance in The Americans suggests that people may not have watched the Horace and Pete show. 

I think it also shows that they didn't watch Margo Martindale's performance on The Americans, either.

I think a whole lot of the voters in these categories vote based on "Hey, I like that person," as opposed to thinking about their performance. Peter Scolari's nomination got far more attention than any of the other guest acting nominees, just because of him being a replacement - and while I'm told he was very good on Girls, I wouldn't be surprised if that attention had a lot to do with why he won.

• Love 2

Totally agree, that's why I'm getting Emmy fatigue, it's the same people over and over, just because they are popular or voters voted for them the year before. I won't be watching the show this year and I won't be missing it.

• Love 1
On September 11, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Trini said:

Yeah, they decided to have a separate ceremony for some of the categories. This year it spread out between two nights (last night and tonight); then the the main ceremony (with the "big", more popular categories) is next Sunday.

They always hand out the Creative Arts Emmys separately from the "major" Emmys, just like they do the Daytime Emmys separately (forgive me if I misunderstood you & you knew that). This year, though, they presented the Creative Arts Emmys in a 2-night ceremony instead of the normal 1 night.

• Love 1

What are you all doing to mark the occasion? I'm picking up a bottle or two of wine on the way home but haven't decided whether to order a pizza or make something kind of healthy to offset the enormous chocolate cake I got yesterday. The benefit of pizza, aside from the fact that it's pizza, is that I can hold it in one hand while typing unkind remarks about people's red carpet attire with the other.

• Love 7

This is the first Emmy's in a long time that I had so many tough choices and didn't feel confident about my picks. The only one I am sure about is Sarah Paulson winning for OJ.   I'll fall off my couch and throw something at the tv if she doesn't win.

• Love 3

I love The Emmys and I really wish Sunday Night Football would take the night off so I didn't have to choose.

And now also tonight the Yankees are playing at the same time ugh.

I mean, I'll watch The Emmys because I love TV but I'll be sad about what else I'm missing.

You better be funny, Jimmy, and make it worth my time.

It's unlikely I'll make it past the opening number because I'm too impatient to watch anything in real time anymore. That's what the DVR is for--watching the important bits before work in the morning. 

I still haven't watched Stranger Things, but 3 kids that were just interviewed are adorable. The young lady, Millie, her dress reminds me of Cate Blanchett's 1999 Oscar dress, but child-appropriate. 

I feel like Giuliana Rancic has her own Gary from Veep whispering little factoids in her ear before a celebrity approaches her. It actually makes her interviews a little less awkward. 

While I don't like her outfit, I think the idea of covering Guilianna up as much as possible was a smart one. Unless she's gained weight recently, every time I see her on one of these shows I wonder if she is sick.

• Love 1

^^^

I know, she looks good.

Yikes, Portia Doubleday...she looks like she's not wearing make up.

WTF is Terrance Howard wearing?  And they just bleeped him, I think he said "asshole."  Isn't that the wife he beat up?

Edited by Neurochick

What???  I have to choose between the Emmys and my Packers, who are playing their arch-enemy MN Vikings (also the state in which I live)?????!!!!   No fair!!!  My shallow self is in a kerfuffle about what to do!

• Love 1

Well I got two things to do tonight: kick some ass and watch some Emmys...and I can't find any ass to kick tonight.

I know Mr Robot has a lot of buzz but I'm gonna be surprised if GoT doesn't repeat Best Drama.

Edited by kittykat

I love that Rami brought his cousin. I want him to win so badly.

I am with you. I want him to win as well.

I would love to see Mr. Robot or The Americans love. I would also to see some sort of shakeup in the comedy categories from the usual.

• Love 2

My unpopular opinion is I am so over James Corden's carpool karaoke. I think James Corden seems like a very affable person, but I cannot stand him as a talk show host.

I love Viola Davis (and her dress!) and think she will probably win, but I just do not like the show "How to get Away with Murder". 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Arynm said:

Rami Malek was so pissed about that clip! He tried to play it off, but he was fuming, he was still reaming the handlers at the bottom of the steps. Someone is in serious trouble!

The Night at the Museum clip? I don't know much about him, so why would he be pissed they showed that?

• Love 1