Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I struggled with where to put this.    But it ended up here for two reasons.  First is for the moment at the end.  Second is because its all clear to me now.

Brad Pitt Chanel led to Matthew McConaughey Lincoln led to Johnny Depp Dior (which I'm pretty sure is a straight up parody of McConaughey Lincoln, Bull and all) which led to Kit Harrington reciting William Blake in an Infiniti commercial.

I reviewed them all, and then I laughed and laughed.

• Love 3

I've complained about many commercials, so it's time to praise one. My vote for maybe the best ad campaign ever is Pure Michigan.

The music, the images, the voiceover - everything comes together perfectly. I especially love the music. It's rare that an ad doesn't seem like an intrusion, but these are so lovely and soothing and weirdly nostalgic, that I don't mind when I hear one starting.

Another good one

• Love 4

Because Kit is so pretty I watched that damn ad all the way through when I was watching something on the DVR the other day.  Although I am not in the Infiniti tax bracket so I did not run to the dealer to buy one.

There is a commercial for a car, or something, and three random people sing "Blue skies..." and I hate them all but I am also irritated with myself because I do actually really like the last guy's voice even though I hate that ad and their singing.  Which makes no sense but here we are.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

I had no idea who that was in the commercial, but I just googled Kit Harington & found out. (Never watched GOT.) I saw that ad before a movie recently. It was a full theater & after it was over there was general grumbling & someone said loud enough to be heard by all that he wondered what idiot thought that would sell a car. There was a lot of laughter & some light applause. At that same movie they had the Johnny Depp Dior commercial & people were laughing loudly & making fun of it. I think they misjudged their audience. 

• Love 1

To be honest I didn't hear a word Kit was saying, I was just admiring the pretty.

I'm not really the person who ads are looking for because I'm rarely enticed by who they use to pitch their product.  Except once, in the 90's, when I decided to exclusively drink Sprite because Grant Hill did their commercials.

• Love 1

I don't know how old this is, I only recall seeing it in rotation this pas month, but the Marco Polo Geico ad is a great play on words & meaning.

Plus the llama he rode in on, cracks me up.

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 6:45 PM, peggy06 said:

I've complained about many commercials, so it's time to praise one. My vote for maybe the best ad campaign ever is Pure Michigan.

As an Ohioan, my favorite commercial parody is "Pure Hell".

36 minutes ago, riley702 said:

Maybe I'm a sap, but I loved this.

Well, if you're a sap, I guess I am too...

22 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Man, its dusty in here.

Stop it already, would you!

• Love 4

The GE commercials featuring a woman explaining what GE can do to a family are a tad overplayed but I have to admit the most recent one where the mom does a quick “shush shush shush” to her son cracks me up. It’s just her expression when she’s shushing him and the quick staccato to it that gets me. 

• Love 1
On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:01 AM, mojoween said:

Because Kit is so pretty I watched that damn ad all the way through when I was watching something on the DVR the other day.  Although I am not in the Infiniti tax bracket so I did not run to the dealer to buy one.

There is a commercial for a car, or something, and three random people sing "Blue skies..." and I hate them all but I am also irritated with myself because I do actually really like the last guy's voice even though I hate that ad and their singing.  Which makes no sense but here we are.

I really liked those Jaguar commercials with the British super villains - still not their market but the ads were amusing.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, double-elvis said:

The GE commercials featuring a woman explaining what GE can do to a family are a tad overplayed but I have to admit the most recent one where the mom does a quick “shush shush shush” to her son cracks me up. It’s just her expression when she’s shushing him and the quick staccato to it that gets me. 

There's a whole series of those ads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_kLvuNVpFg&index=2&list=PLxRhTjvLlyoIXJLwUxoQFx7Erz_FUPkJ9

To quote the the great Hank Hill, "That boy ain't right."

Edited by AimingforYoko
Playlist won't embed.
  • Love 5

Here's a 1986 ad for NewsCenter 5 from WCVB Channel 5 (ABC in Boston, MA). Apparently, they took their NewsCenter 5 newscasts very seriously at that Boston ABC station then, and the ad and jingle seem to bear that out very well.

• Love 1

I kinda like the Kellogg’s Raisin Bran "Bike-A-Thon" commercial:

Kellogg's was running a lot of commercials of parents interacting with their kids over cereal, and I hated every single one of them.  They were just too over-the top saccharine for me.  This Raisin Bran commercial doesn't come off as faux-heartwarming as the others do, and I think both actors did a good job.

Side note: I also hate the Special-K commercials with that "I Love It" song.

In case you get "Mr. Big Stuff" stuck in your head from the commercial, you can listen to it here.

• Love 2

The breathable underwear commercial with the bridal party in the dressing room is 98% stupid because they don't untangle the poor woman from her bridesmaid dress before quizzing her about her underwear, but the two percent where the actor playing the bride says, "I don't think you should get that dress; it doesn't fit you" just delights me.  The delivery and the arm gesture are perfect. 

• Love 3
On 8/23/2016 at 0:32 AM, erikdepressant said:

I kinda like the Kellogg’s Raisin Bran "Bike-A-Thon" commercial:

Kellogg's was running a lot of commercials of parents interacting with their kids over cereal, and I hated every single one of them.  They were just too over-the top saccharine for me.  This Raisin Bran commercial doesn't come off as faux-heartwarming as the others do, and I think both actors did a good job.

Side note: I also hate the Special-K commercials with that "I Love It" song.

In case you get "Mr. Big Stuff" stuck in your head from the commercial, you can listen to it here.

I feel sorry for the girl having to see her father in those tight shorts with his bulge showing. 

• Love 2

I liked the Raisin Bran one from a couple years back with the dad and daughter getting ready to go golfing. Dad wasn't wearing ugly golf clothes (like the Caddyshack stereotype), so it was less cringe inducing than biker dad in his Spandex. I like both for the purpose of having dads and daughters bonding over physical activity- usually it's only the sons with whom dads will share sporty interests in commercials.

• Love 2
On August 25, 2016 at 11:46 PM, Bastet said:

The breathable underwear commercial with the bridal party in the dressing room is 98% stupid because they don't untangle the poor woman from her bridesmaid dress before quizzing her about her underwear, but the two percent where the actor playing the bride says, "I don't think you should get that dress; it doesn't fit you" just delights me.  The delivery and the arm gesture are perfect. 

I noticed that part yesterday and I loved it.  It was so random and perfect.  And also that is the only part I liked too.

• Love 1

I like the cheeky new Arby's new ad featuring their (supposedly)new and improved chicken sandwiches. Ving Rhames voiceover:
"Don't worry, the other meats are fine. They're all still here. Arby's would never become a chicken-only restaurant. Who would go to a place that sold only chicken? What an amusing, unrealistic idea. A chicken fillet place. What would they call it, Chicken Town?"

• Love 9
12 hours ago, St. Claire said:

I just saw this and came here to post! I love "OK, doctor poses."

I love how everyone but Patrick Dempsey gets immediately into their pose and he's trying to figure out what to do with his arms, etc.; it's so dorky.

• Love 4

The two Amazon commercials with dogs.  The Golden Retriever who gets a lion mane wig to be friends with the new baby and the small white dog with a broken leg who gets a baby bjorn so he can get around the park easier. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ikmccall said:

The two Amazon commercials with dogs.  The Golden Retriever who gets a lion mane wig to be friends with the new baby and the small white dog with a broken leg who gets a baby bjorn so he can get around the park easier. 

OMG, I love the lion mane one :). It's so adorable.

• Love 5