Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

I love this, but it's over my head. Is that supposed to be a parent telling the kid not to hang out in front of an open refrigerator? And do penguins really make that noise? (I always imagined a sort of quack) Gosh, I'm ignorant.

This is adorable, and I love penguins.  But I am so jaded, I just assumed that she is the penguin equivalent of a Yogurt Bitch, turning down the thermostat and then berating her stupid husband for standing in front of the refrigerator to cool off.

• Love 6

Amass, as a participant in many doll/diorama groups, cats invading miniature/dioramas is quite common. Not at all unusual to see a cat lounging on the doll sofa or bed. But not at my house, I'm allergic and dogs. But I've had to put baby gates across all the lower doll rooms to keep the dogs out. I converted my living room to a doll room. I lived alone, so why not? And my teenaged nephew who now lives with me has grown up with the dolls, it's the norm for him.

But I love any commercials with miniatures.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

I don't think I have ever had a favorite commercial before, but this one (or the variants of it I have seen) rocks.

Girls Don't Code

I wish could like that ad, but as a woman who has been developing software for over 30 years -- oh, my God, that is one of the stupidest, most unnecessarily provocative things I've ever seen on the subject of women in s/w development. I've worked for all kinds of companies, from 2-person startups all the way up to multinational Fortune 500 companies and no one, no where, has ever expressed any of the sentiments those petulant little twits are saying. Everyone available gets a chunk of code that needs to be written. It has to work, it has to be done on time and no one gives a shit who produces it.  There is occasional bullshit around who gets to be team leads and who gets advanced faster but ability tends to flatten those issues out eventually.

There are a lot of women in software development here in the States but they're almost invariably Asian or European. They get it done, thousands of miles away from home and having to navigate language and cultural issues at the same time. It annoys the hell out of me that young American women who have up until now not even been interested in software development want it to sound like they were prevented somehow, not that they are only interested in it now because it's cool. Fine. Let them get the education and training and start doing the work, and see how far they get missing deadlines and writing crap code because they were responding to imagined slights. Amateurs.

• Love 7
(edited)

@CoderLady

I think that's the point - as a culture (at least in the US), girls have not been encourage towards STEM studies/industry and women are underrepresented in those sectors.  Women may not be unicorns anymore, but there are plenty of statistics and analysis about why females and most minorities are not pursuing or staying with those sectors. Focusing on females alone a Harvard Business Review study from 2008 found that as many as 50% of women working in science, engineering and technology will, over time, leave because of hostile work environments. The reasons are varied but according to the study, they include a "hostile" male culture, a sense of isolation and lack of a clear career path. An updated study in 2014 found the reasons hadn't significantly changed.

I imagine it is impossible to fairly and comprehensively address any issue in a commercial, and certainly not address or reflect the realities of any individuals with a depth of experience in said topic so there is no One Size Fits All.  But as a mother of a daughter who is in the age range that matches the girls in that spot?  I love the commercial and I love what it promotes. including the snarky way the message is deliv

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 5
(edited)

@DeLurker

I think I've been experiencing outrage exhaustion, especially around women's issues. Somewhere there has to be sexist bullshit going on that discourages some women from entering the field, but I'd like to see ads that motivate more by showing what's really cool about developing software rather than trying to make people angry and defiant. It can take a decade or more to get really good at this stuff, and "I'll show those boys I can too code!" isn't what sustains that kind of dedication.

I want more American women in software. In my department of over 100 engineers/developers there are only 3 and we're all middle-aged. I want recruitment to be positive so the newbies actually know what they're getting into and want to stick around. More positive ads, please!

Edited by CoderLady
I love commas way, way too much.
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I want more American women in software. In my department of over 100 engineers/developers there are only 3 and we're all middle-aged.

I suspect there are more out there than it seems to the average company trying to hire because deep-pocketed organizations are hogging the fresh supply to make a quota (e.g. government agencies and contractors). I know a woman said she had companies falling over each other to hire her when she got her engineering degree because "they needed more women" and graduating classes was where they were looking.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I want more American women in software. In my department of over 100 engineers/developers there are only 3 and we're all middle-aged.

I think the middle-aged problem is because we hit the sweet spot where computers were so new that there weren't many guys doing it either, so the guys I knew were all "cool, someone who knows what a computer is!" not "ew, girl cooties, and what if she's better than me? I won't get a job" manchild whining.

• Love 3

Latest commercial to make me laugh out loud is the one that does a parody of Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight"  I think it's for Dish Network.  "Everybody mop the floor tonight" 

• Love 2
On 6/9/2016 at 3:53 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

My new fave.  I love the look on the horse's face.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AOcF/skippy-pb-bites-horse

Mom (runs in, panicked): "What did you give him??"

Horse: "Uh, Skippy Balls... he said he would --"

Mom: "HIS ALLERGY!"

(Boy stares at own swelling face in mirror before collapsing)

If your're allergic to horses but accidentally eat one, someone can use your EquinePen to help stable-ize you.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, erikdepressant said:

Mom (runs in, panicked): "What did you give him??"

Horse: "Uh, Skippy Balls... he said he would --"

Mom: "HIS ALLERGY!"

(Boy stares at own swelling face in mirror before collapsing)

If your're allergic to horses but accidentally eat one, someone can use your EquinePen to help stable-ize you.

Hahaha!  I thought of that.   EquinePen - I like it.  ;-)

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/12/2016 at 1:38 AM, theredhead77 said:

They sound like raptors!

I don't think many penguins are vegetarians.  And being as they ARE birds . . . and raptors are birds of prey . . . well, yeah.

On 6/11/2016 at 4:14 PM, ikmccall said:

Latest commercial to make me laugh out loud is the one that does a parody of Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight"  I think it's for Dish Network.  "Everybody mop the floor tonight" 

"Everybody crochet tonight!"

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

I don't think many penguins are vegetarians.  And being as they ARE birds . . . and raptors are birds of prey . . . well, yeah.

Oh, I know. I guess I've never heard a penguin before and wasn't expecting them to sound like a raptor out of Jurassic Park.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Oh, I know. I guess I've never heard a penguin before and wasn't expecting them to sound like a raptor out of Jurassic Park.

Well, no one knows what velociraptors sounded like as they left no recordings.  :-)  But I wouldn't be surprised if the makers of Jurassic Park based their sounds on the modern day raptors, aka birds of prey.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

Well, no one knows what velociraptors sounded like as they left no recordings.  :-)  But I wouldn't be surprised if the makers of Jurassic Park based their sounds on the modern day raptors, aka birds of prey.

Stop putting logic into my false-reality! :p

But on topic, I really dig the United Health Care pool pole vaulting commercial. Sure, the guys are idiots but the wives just know what's going to happen and prepare for the aftermath. No shrieking, harping or being portrayed as a shrew.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I just saw this commercial for the first time last night, and I thought it was so sweet. Back when I was still teaching, we used to always make an effort to wear our glasses instead of contacts for awhile when a younger child had to get glasses and was nervous about it.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, DeLurker said:

They have life insurance policies on their dear hubbies

That's what I was thinking.  They just looked too calm and relaxed.  I don't blame them though.  When you're married to an idiots, you have to protect yourself. ; ) 

• Love 5

Those markers do smell delicious. 

But who smells like their farts?  I mean, I don't, my husband doesn't, and heavens knows our cats don't.  Why would a banana fart smell like banana?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

That's what I was thinking.  They just looked too calm and relaxed.  I don't blame them though.  When you're married to an idiots, you have to protect yourself. ; ) 

They married the morons so I can't muster any sympathy for them.

(edited)
On 6/14/2016 at 6:27 PM, Brattinella said:

I've purchased those markers many times; the delicious scents are wonderful!  Cherry, grape, banana, chocolate! Mmm!

I find it hysterical that in meetings with high level executives and renown scientists, everyone to a person will virtually clap with glee and take big sniffs if there are scented markers at the flip chart.  Myself included.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 8

There's a toenail fungus commercial that I adore because it's so dumb.

Woman: What's wrong, Mom?
Mom: Your wedding is next week ... and my toenails!

(a) No one is going to be focused on the feet of the mother of the bride, and
(b) Solution: wear shoes.

• Love 11

I had a totally different reaction to the Ritz glasses commercial:

1) In the longer version posted above by Stacey1014, Dad takes his eyes off the road for too damn long while he watches his daughter in the rear-view mirror.  One of the first things his daughter will see clearly is the carnage following a horrific accident.

2) Had I been that child, I would have correctly assumed my whole family was mocking me, and I would have run upstairs to cry.

3) My mind extrapolated that commercial to a coming-out-of-the-closet scenario.  Gay teen nervously walks into a house and is greeted by the sight of every member of the supportive family engaging in... 

• Love 4
On 6/19/2016 at 8:18 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

<3

I don't have a problem with this commercial, but it raises a lot of questions for me.  First of all, this is probably because I don't wear glasses, but I don't understand what the problem is here.  Don't lots of kids wear glasses?  Do kids get made fun of for wearing glasses?  I've never seen a kid getting made fun of for wearing glasses, but I don't know what kids do these days, so who knows.  Is she simply bothered by the burden of having to keep pushing them up her nose and being sure not to misplace them?  Are the glasses a daily reminder that she's not getting any younger?

Secondly, do all those people ordinarily wear glasses?  If they do, then what's the big deal?  Shouldn't she be used to people wearing glasses?  If not, then it's pretty empty.  It's not like those people are going to go around wearing glasses for the rest of their lives as a show of solidarity.  They're not even going to go around wearing glasses for the rest of the day.

Also, those canapes are supposed to look like eyes, I'm sure, but it looks like they're supposed to look like boobs.

• Love 3

Yes, a lot of children wear glasses but yes, many children also get teased for wearing glasses. The teasing is probably less pronounced than it was when I was a child because (a) eye problems get diagnosed more precisely now than they did in the dark ages, so kids are getting glasses at a younger age and (b) there are more attractive frames available now than when I was a kid. Anything that makes you feel different- glasses, braces, whatever- is cause for being teased when you are a kid. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, St. Claire said:

Yes, a lot of children wear glasses but yes, many children also get teased for wearing glasses. The teasing is probably less pronounced than it was when I was a child because (a) eye problems get diagnosed more precisely now than they did in the dark ages, so kids are getting glasses at a younger age and (b) there are more attractive frames available now than when I was a kid. Anything that makes you feel different- glasses, braces, whatever- is cause for being teased when you are a kid. 

I was fat and had an overbite, but hey, at least I didn't wear glasses!  Yeah, kids are cruel, man.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, janie jones said:

Also, those canapes are supposed to look like eyes, I'm sure, but it looks like they're supposed to look like boobs.

They're boobs.

Mom (wearing her old glasses instead of her contacts) had grabbed the wrong platter.

An hour later, Dad brought big sister Kimberly home.  Still groggy from the anesthesia, Kim held two canapes up to her chest and slurred, "I didn't get my eyes enlarged!"

For years afterward, The Great Ritz Mix-Up was everyone's favorite part of the story.  Life's rich like that.  Ritz.

• Love 11