Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Home Birth

In the Season 4 finale, Hannah, Adam and Jessa try to persuade Caroline and Laird that their plan for a home birth isn't such a good idea. Meanwhile, Shoshanna has a lot to consider when she mulls a unique job opportunity; and Marnie and Desi have a meeting with a record-label executive, after which Ray gives Desi a piece of his mind.

FINALE?  What what?  This season has flown by so quickly.

Praise Ray!  He told Desi everything we've been thinking for the last 2 seasons.  I was rooting for him... up until he made it about Marnie.

I'm tired of seeing Gaby Hoffman naked in everything.

Love Colin Quinn.  "Be the walker, not the dog."  Grasp your destiny, Shosh.  Jason Ritter is adorable and all, but you just started dating.  It will be interesting to see scene of Shosh in Japan.

Marnie the solo artist?  I'd rather watch another scene of Gaby Hoffman howling in the bathtub.

Jessa as a therapist?  As a psychotherapist (clinical social worker - outpatient mental health clinician), I'm offended.  Are we going to see her spend years in school or will she instantly be a therapist?  One peptalk and she's ready to put a shingle up.

As much as I'd like to see Hannah and Adam together, it didn't feel like the right time for them to make up during in that incubator bonding scene.  Lena made the right choice letting Hannah turn his outstretched hand away.

I must admit, I liked the 6 month jump with Fran.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 8

No!!!  Not Fran!!!  Don't get sucked into this vortex of neediness and selfishness!  He was my favorite character (probably because I have seen so little of him) and I wanted him to escape Hannah and her awful friends.

• Love 7

I mostly liked this episode, but I wish they hadn't made home birth out to be weird.  Obviously Caroline was not taking proper precautions or working with certified professionals, but the real issue (if I heard right, aside from it being breach) was that she was in labor a month and a half early!  That would be reason enough to have immediately abandoned the birth plan!  I just think they'd all be a little more used to the idea than they seem to have been.

Love Shoshanna, and her conversation with Colin Quinn was awesome.  I did want her to also get to talk to Ray, but I guess they'll have jumped six months for next season - I'm kind of assuming she'll either be back in the states already or on the brink of coming back by then.  The "abigail" office was amazing.  

Ew, Marnie, ew, Desi, I agree that Ray was speaking for all of us until he started to say nice things about Marnie.  He may not be ready to move on, but I am way past ready for him to do so!

Hannah once again showed surprising maturity tonight, and I guess I'm kind of interested to see how things are going with her and Fran when we return?  He's way too good for her, and they're going to have to drop the dysfunctional substitute teacher bullshit if I'm going to take her seriously at all.

• Love 3

Attempting to eat during this episode was a mistake.

Marnie and her twee music drama is the least interesting story line on the show.  Thank God Shoshanna took the job in Japan instead of becoming what's-his-face's kept woman.  There's hope for her yet.  (Is the actress leaving the show?)

Did Adam really think he could get Hannah back so easily?  She came home from Iowa and he had some other trollop living in her apartment.  But BOOO at Hannah getting Fran at the end. 

• Love 4

Marnie is insensitive or oblivious to show up at Ray's cafe with Desi draped all over her.

Maybe Hannah, Shoshanna and Jessa should go back to high school as students to relearn everything about appropriate behavior that they failed to learn the first time.

Did Caroline or Laird even bother to clean that bathroom? Or at least the tub?

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 3

I loved Hannah's mom talking crap on Hannah's dad with him sitting right there. 

Ouch, that was a painful reveal, seeing Tad sitting next to her. I think Loreen is pretty funny and interesting, but I did not like her in that moment. I understand that she's angry and bitter, but I felt really bad for Tad.

I saw on the end credits that there was a puppeteer. I didn't notice the baby moving, but I assume it was fake and was being moved by a puppeteer.

And speaking of puppeteers, I enjoyed Spike Jonze's performance. I liked how nice he was over coffee, but when Desi didn't show up, he was not quite so nice.

I liked Adam's faint out of the doorway.

• Love 4

In honor of Hannah's mom I opened up some Riesling...not too sweet.

Hannah’s hair during her "panic attack" was really cute but then Fran had to ruin the moment with his kindness! Trust your instincts and get the hell away Fran!

If a guy told me he'd “be in love with me soon” I'd laugh in his stupid face. So happy Shosh is going to take the job.

Ray was awesome as usual, so of course he'll end up with Marnie who won't appreciate him. It'll be Charlie all over again. Remember him Ray? You used to be friends.

I challenge everyone to use the phrase “for obvious reasons I'm not going to cover my vagina” sometime this week! Bonus points if it's not during sexytime. :)

• Love 5

Ray, you are the true hero of this show! Don`t you dare hook up with Marnie! 

Marnie`s music sounds like the background music you don't really pay attention to at Starbucks. 

Where the hell did this season go? 

• Love 5

Oh wow, that was all I needed to ever see of Gabby Hoffman naked, talk about being a daring actress.

Wow, I can't believe John Ritter Jr. said that to Shoshanna.  Who says that, "i'll be in love w/ you soon."  Damn he has balls to say that, but then again it's Shosh he said it to.  I can't believe any other woman wouldn't have slapped him or threw a drink in his face.

So now we are rehabilitating Jessa by her coming to the realization that she should be a therapist?  I was thinking more about her becoming a midwife/doula.  I wasn't expecting her to go snorkeling in that tub.

Ugh...Marnie/Dezi/Ray...  I was glad Ray told Dezi off like he did, but you just know that he will show back up at some point to inform Marnie that Ray is the reason he bailed on her after tearing them both down just as Marnie/Ray are working things out.

Wow, Hannah's mom tearing the dad down while he was right there.  Wow.  I feel bad for Hannah's dad b/c you can tell he is miserable right now while trying to accept/adapt to coming out.

Again, I say that Becky Ann Baker deserves an Emmy for her storyline this season.

• Love 1

I appreciate to one step forward, two steps back approach to Hannah growing up. It was so hard for her to say no to Adam but the mature choice. For once!

Marnie's ego is hilarious.

• Love 3

I like that this season ended on a positive note for the four girls. I don´t particularly like them as people, but I think they are unlikable mostly because they do awful things out being entirely misguided. They´re selfish out of insecurity, not malice. I just hope the choices they made for themselves on this episode actually stick and create some growth.

I´m glad Adam is out of the picture for the time being at least. I can´t understand how he´s got so many fans when he´s an abusive person whose only way of managing challenges is yelling and throwing stuff. 

Edited by caviar
  • Love 5

"Almost.....she is almost a doula." It's always bad when Hannah is the voice of reason in a situation. 

Desi? ALL OF YOUR LINES ARE FAULTY. Ray, you are a champion. I just wish your impassioned speeches were about someone who isn't Marnie. 

"Cover your boobs, please." 

As a whole, I think this has been the best overall season of the show. And ha ha Spike Jonze as the label boss who likes to have things feel like they are in a garage. 

Hannah's parents killed me. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 3

Like many dysfunctional types, Jessa is good in a crisis. OK - if she chooses to be present, she is good in a crisis. I hope this means growth for her character. I really like it when Jessa shows some self-awareness and can move forward.

Oh Fran, why? You are supposed to be the mature one on the show, the guy who wants nothing to do with the girls' silliness, the guy who would have called an ambulance AND Child Protective Services the minute he learned about Laird and Caroline's parenting experiment.

I am wondering whether "6 months later" Hannah is still "teaching" at that school. 

Please let us have more Aidy Bryant on the show.  Maybe she can be the next lady-pal for Ray.

• Love 3

So now we are rehabilitating Jessa by her coming to the realization that she should be a therapist?  I was thinking more about her becoming a midwife/doula.  I wasn't expecting her to go snorkeling in that tub.

Aren't midwifes/doulas registered nurses? I find that scenario just as unlikely as the therapist one. Either option would require years of sustained hard work from Jessa, not just a moment of having her wits about her. 

This finale would have been perfect without the time jump at the end. Hannah turning Adam down would have meant so much more if she had done it without having Fran on the back burner, at least in her mind. And Fran should have stuck to his guns regarding dating Hannah.

I'm so glad that Shosh listened to Ray's boss and took the job in Japan. I almost puked when Scott said he was going to be in love with her "soon". Though I'm a little worried about the professionalism of that Abigail place. The HR lady, or whoever she was, telling Shosh that they're just waiting to fire the person who currently holds the job she's interviewing her because that person is bipolar - WTF??? If they haven't been sued by an employee yet, they will soon.

Marnie needs another career. I can't believe any record label would be interested in her weak voice and banal lyrics.

Ray telling Desi off was epic. And Desi, fuck off with describing your persona as "Pacific Northwest". I'm not even from the PNW, I just live there, and I take great offense.

Finally, a (gross) anatomical question to those who have given/witnessed birth. If the birth was far enough in progress that Jessa could see a foot, wouldn't Caroline have been bleeding, and the bath water be red?

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

Did Hanna gain some self-respect or is it just a way of writing a character out of the show?

Anyways, Shosh has to pull a Hanna early next season and come back from Japan, right?

Oh and BTW, wasn't Cheryl Sandberg's meteoric rise under the auspices of male mentors? So Shosh isn't exacly following her example.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 2

I am gonna be the weird girl and say I found Gabby Hoffman quite lovely in her nakedtidity. Is she really pregnant?

She also has a great speaking voice, and used to excellent effect this ep. From her crooning to her shrieking.

I also thought Dunham's hair was cute this ep-- that silky little bob. Awww.  In fact, I thought she was extra adorable this whole episode-- even her clothes were not that bad. But mainly I think she just gave great face during her reaction shots, and her tender refusal of Adam was delivered with finesse and sensitivity.

SHOSH! NOOOO! You were becoming my favorite! Please promise you will Skype every episode.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 5

Well this was better than last year's finale but had the same fairy-tale realism where Poof! the girls all get their happy endings.

I loved, "Be the walker, not the dog." Could have used a friend/advice like that at that age.

Marni's voice is affected to sound "pretty" but it's just thin and shallow, like her.

Wow, well. I was never a fan of Jemma but I was pretty impressed she stuck her face in the bath water and opened her eyes. There's no way I'd do that. Also, I'd expect there to be more than just blood in that water and I'll say no more. I've loved Gabby Hoffman ever since Crystal Fairy.

• Love 2

My friend did a home birth. I remember her draining and refilling the tub constantly. There is surprisingly little blood during labor and delivery. You've already lost your mucus plug and your "water" has already broken, so there isn't much left to leave your body during active labor except for pee and poop, which can be cleaned quickly. My friend wore a bikini for most of the experience though.

Gaby Hoffman needs to be nominated for a guest Emmy.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 2

Jessa as a therapist?  As a psychotherapist (clinical social worker - outpatient mental health clinician), I'm offended.  Are we going to see her spend years in school or will she instantly be a therapist?  One peptalk and she's ready to put a shingle up.

Maybe as a peer counselor, but then again on this show things like qualifications don't matter.  

This really felt like the series finale rather than the season finale.  All the main characters got to straighten up in one way or another.

Hannah:   I don't buy that guy taking up with her again unless he's one of those co-dependent "fixers".  It WAS nice, however, to see her shut the door on the Adam relationship.  Neither of them are good for the other.   I still don't buy that she continues to substitute teach at that school.  OMG, she had a panic attack in front of the class and ran out of the building.  That gossip would have been all over the school before the next period started.  Her knight in shining armor just happened to have a free period, too.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but Hannah/Lena looked nice this episode.  That outfit she had on a school was actually reasonably appropriate and flattering.

Jessa:  She rose to the occasion, which I thought was good for her character and did sort of fit in.  Jessa is unflappable in the face of drama because drama is the currency of her life.   I hope they show her working toward becoming a therapist or counselor rather than just magically getting a job.  She needs to work toward credentials to prove her dedication.

Shosh:   Listen to Colin Quinn.  Go to Tokyo.  If the dot.com entrepreneur is really interested in you, he'll wait and even fly over for business.  I did love the lady who interviewed Shosh.  She spoke with such authority about Tokyo, but no, turns out she's never been.  Hilarious and a perfect send up of way too many people who try to fake their way through something.   Shosh also appears to finally be cutting the cord with Ray.  Finally.  He's sent out enough signals.

Marnie:   I'm glad she's breaking free of Desi, but it's hard to believe that she'll have an awesome solo career.  Her voice isn't that good.  You can hear as good or better at thousands of coffee houses across the country on any given weekend.   I think they're setting this up so she and Ray end up together.  That's good news for Marnie and bad news for Ray.   Marnie's character started out as the kind of girl whose best option is to marry very well and assume the role of wife of a rich man.  She's still at that point.  She needs a protector and provider.  Ray is stepping into the role of protector, but he won't be able to fund her tastes and interests.

Adam:   This was a much better season for him.  He wasn't a head case like in previous seasons.  I'm glad they didn't have him backslide into a relationship with Hannah.   As I mentioned above, they're really bad together.

Ray:  OMG, going down the Marnie rabbit hole.  He'll spend his life worshiping and caring for her like she's a hot house orchid.   She's honestly not all that.  Pretty girl.  Some bad decisionmaking.  Marginal singing talent.  Wouldn't Ray be better off with a woman who could be his wife and partner in his businesses?  Marnie's only potential role in Ray's coffee shop(s) would be to inflict her singing on customers a couple of nights a week.  His speech to Desi was the highly of the whole Ray character.   Finally we have confirmation that the writers know what we think of at least one of these characters.

Desi:  Buh-bye.  Never want to see that character again, but I suspect we will at least in the beginning of next season.

How the hell is Jessa going to be a therapist?

The same way she was a wife.  

The same way Hannah is working in a school.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 2

So now we are rehabilitating Jessa by her coming to the realization that she should be a therapist?  

Just because she suddenly decided she wants to be a therapist doesn't mean she'll be good or successful at it.

• Love 4

I feel like in previous episodes showcasing Marnie's 'talents', she was presented to be kind of terrible in a way you couldn't put your finger on, and they always sort of worked for me.  In this one, I felt like we were supposed to jump up and cheer for her triumphant solo turn, and it was hard to do that.  Her music career has always grated on my nerves.

Ray's epic smack down of Desi was amazing.  He is the best.

I love Gabby Hoffman but I was over her nipples in this episode.  It did remind me that we didn't see much naked Hannah this season.

• Love 1

I normally hate Jessa but I adored her tonight. I loved her exchanges with everyone during the home birth. Everything between her and Laird reminded me of how much I do enjoy this show and how very funny it can be. And then her exchange with Adam where she asked if he looked at her naked and he said "Of course I didn't! She's my sister!" and she said something like "Maybe you should have because she's your sister!" Oh Jessa. Weird weird Jessa. She and Adam actually belong together. 

I also am so happy Shosh is going to Japan. She is at the perfect age to go there. She's young, just out of school - two years in Japan and she will have her pick of jobs when she moves back to New York. 

• Love 1

Wow, really strong episode with hilarious performances from Karpovsky, Hoffman and Baker.  I could've watched Hannah, Adam, Jessa and Laird carry Gaby Hoffman to the hospital for 30 minutes, that was some seriously funny shit.  Liked the ending with Hannah and Fran, would've liked it more had it included Shosh in her new Japanese digs.

• Love 3

My friend did a home birth. I remember her draining and refilling the tub constantly. There is surprisingly little blood during labor and delivery. You've already lost your mucus plug and your "water" has already broken, so there isn't much left to leave your body during active labor except for pee and poop, which can be cleaned quickly. My friend wore a bikini for most of the experience though.

Gaby Hoffman needs to be nominated for a guest Emmy.

From my vast nerd experience of listening to every commentary I can, I know that filming in a bathtub that way is hard on the actor. Water gets cold!

Ray telling Desi off (while cool for us viewers)... actually got on my nerves. I thought Ray was extremely out of bounds. Yes Desi is awful but you know what so is Marnie. Ray has this idealized notion of Marnie that I find so annoying. Marnie ALLOWED herself to be strung along, she also knew Desi had a girlfriend and got off on being with him in spite of his relationship. She is as awful as Desi IMO. The fact that Ray cannot see that makes him stupid too. I wish he would move on already. The only reason Ray is so stuck on Marnie... is cause she is supposed to be the hot one so having her would be a "prize." 

Ray is supposed to be this pragmatic, smart guy yet he certainly is not acting like it.

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 14

Ray telling Desi off (wihle cool for us viewers)... actually got on my nerves. I thought Ray was extremely out of bounds. Yes Desi is awful but you know what so is Marnie. Ray has this idealized notion of Marnie that I find so annoying. Marnie ALLOWED herself to be strung along, she also knew Desi had a girlfriend and got off on being with him in spite of his relationship. She is as awful as Desi IMO. The fact that Ray cannot see that makes him stupid too. I wish he would move on already. The only reason Ray is so stuck on Marnie... is cause she is supposed to be the hot one so having her would be a "prize."

Ray is supposed to be this pragmatic, smart guy yet he certainly is not acting like it.

Love is blind. As they say in Lonesome Dove, "'ought' don't matter a gnat when it comes to love."

• Love 1
Wow, I can't believe John Ritter Jr. said that to Shoshanna.  Who says that, "i'll be in love w/ you soon."  Damn he has balls to say that, but then again it's Shosh he said it to.  I can't believe any other woman wouldn't have slapped him or threw a drink in his face

.I thought Jason Ritter sold that line really well.  Because it was sort of the truth.  They're not in love  yet, but if she stays, it might happen.  So I think it was a fair line from him.  He's been another pretty good voice of reason on this show, so I hope we see him again. 

Ray telling Desi off (while cool for us viewers)... actually got on my nerves. I thought Ray was extremely out of bounds. Yes Desi is awful but you know what so is Marnie.

It went on just a bit too long.  The crack about eyeliner and distressed shirts were cheap shots too.  I understand where Ray is coming from and I yes, there was some satisfaction in seeing a hipster taken down, but after a few lines it was like kicking a puppy.  Desi had no fight in him.  Zip.  He is the healthier version of Laird really. 

I don't know how I feel about Fran and Hannah.  I'm happy for her because he seems very, very kind.  I'm unhappy for him because he said he didn't want more drama and there he is, picking drama again. 

Jessa was awesome this episode.  When there is a real crisis, an authentic crisis, she rises to it.  I forgot how good she was with that lady's suicide attempt.  So maybe working in crisis center isn't a bad idea for her.

Hannah's mother's bitterness was distressing.  And painful.  It's such a hard way to see your parents. 

Oh and on a totally shallow note, Ray looked damn good in his black shirt and black pants at the "show".  How he keeps a straight face while she sings is beyond me.  Beyond twee.  Love is blind and deaf apparently.

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Love 4

Ugh, Fran you are a weak soul....

I kinda want to see how it would pan out if Ray went with Hannah.... But, this could be cause I saw them in "Tiny Furniture" together years ago, but was kinda disappointed that they never actually hooked up or did they? I can't remember what ultimately happened with them in the movie....

• Love 2

For comedic effect, Jessa sticking her head in the bathwater was brilliant, practicality, not so much. I was also thinking of other things that might be in that water and she had just been on her knees so at the very least roll her over again or have Laird lift her to sneak a peek. And a normal bathtub isn't helpful is it??? Any water births I've witnessed (filmed only, no live births) have been in hot tubs actual pools because whoever is catching that baby needs to be opposite and you can't do that in a normal tub plus she just needs more width. 

And I knew Fran couldn't escape. Good luck Fran.

• Love 1

Marnie doesn't have to sing very well to draw record company interest.  With her looks, she'd get a chance.

Now it would be great if the show depicted it this way, as her having thin talent and kidding herself that her music is getting her the deal and the friends being too polite (or maybe Jessa will speak the truth, or Adam, if he's still on the show).

Also, isn't it unlikely that a company would send a girl fresh out of college on an overseas assignment, especially someone who has no foreign language skills?

What exactly is she going to be able to do in Tokyo?  Are they going to wait on her until she picks up enough of the language?  She might as well do the job from NY, over the Internet, using Google Translate.

• Love 2

I am gonna be the weird girl and say I found Gabby Hoffman quite lovely in her nakedtidity. Is she really pregnant?

Me too. I love seeing normal bodies on TV.

• Love 1

I loved the Ray/Desi exchange. Cheap shots were thrown but it was nice to see Desi called out as the douche that he is.

My favorite line of the episode came from Lairde: "I'm not a man, I am a jewish recovering junkie and I weigh 135 pounds."

• Love 3

At first I was embarrassed about Gabby being so naked (embarrassed like Adam) and then I realized that this is one of the few times on television when a naked woman makes perfect sense.  She was great in those scenes.  Her Emmy reel will be tricky to edit!  HA.

I loved Hannah in that scene too.  How cautious she was going to the door and then hesitant about what to do (obviously call 911 but I can see why she hesitated.  Gabby is such a strong personality).  Her embarrassment at seeing SO much when she's generally not that prudish.  Lena nailed that scene.  I think I could like  a show with a more mature and pulled together Hannah.  And it encourages me to know that Lena knows how immature Hannah is.  When the series began I wasn't sure.

• Love 2

I am just now watching this episode.... Yes, I like to read recaps before I actually watch the show.... The Ray/Desi exchange is playing now.... Ray is just awesome....I almost want to have a crush on him, but then, I don't want to anger my boyfriend.... My boyfriend would be the type to probably get mad if I publicly admit to a crush on an actor...o_O wait, that might make him some sort of tool, huh? ;-x

Edited by OrientalAmish
  • Love 1

The only thing I have ever seen Fran in previously was The Office (US). Mr. MelsW doesn't watch Girls but he walked in and saw the last 30 seconds and said, "Hey, it's Plop!" So now I am forever going to have it in my head that Fran = Plop.

• Love 1

For comedic effect, Jessa sticking her head in the bathwater was brilliant, practicality, not so much. I was also thinking of other things that might be in that water and she had just been on her knees so at the very least roll her over again or have Laird lift her to sneak a peek. And a normal bathtub isn't helpful is it??? Any water births I've witnessed (filmed only, no live births) have been in hot tubs actual pools because whoever is catching that baby needs to be opposite and you can't do that in a normal tub plus she just needs more width. 

And I knew Fran couldn't escape. Good luck Fran.

Speaking of comedic effect, I actually giggled and replayed it. I guess I just wasn't expecting Jessa to do that. I think I was expecting her to stick her hand underwater and feel what was going on, and all of a sudden she was underwater with her eyes wide open, then the reaction shot to what she saw...

I don't know, it was just a fun moment.

I agree with you about the tub. But I think that was part of the point. Caroline and Laird are so ridiculous and "out there" that they really think that doing a water birth at home is just about putting water in the bathtub and "going for it". It doesn't seem like they've had any advice or prenatal care throughout the pregnancy, forget an attendant for the birth. If Jessa, Adam, and Hannah (in all their wonderfulness) hadn't been there to finally convince those two morons that they needed to get Caroline to a hospital, both mother and baby would have been in serious trouble.

I wouldn't mind an episode that shows us a little bit about the family that produced Adam and Caroline. Fun!

• Love 2

Nah. There's enough of that in real life  :)

I find that when shows have these perfect looking people with a lot of nudity (like True Blood) it takes me out of the story because it looks so contrived. I get that other people enjoy the fantasy although in this case I don't think that scene could have been sexy no matter who was in the tub.

• Love 6

I find that when shows have these perfect looking people with a lot of nudity (like True Blood) it takes me out of the story because it looks so contrived. I get that other people enjoy the fantasy although in this case I don't think that scene could have been sexy no matter who was in the tub.

Like all those perfectly barbered and coiffed people living through the Apocalypse on that TBS show about the alien invasion.