Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Home Birth

Aren't midwifes/doulas registered nurses? I find that scenario just as unlikely as the therapist one. Either option would require years of sustained hard work from Jessa, not just a moment of having her wits about her. 

I don't know as much about midwives, but doula certification doesn't require any specific medical training, because they are *not* the ones who deliver babies.  A doula is really more to support the mother during her pregnancy and labor, which Caroline would know, if she's training as one.  I have a friend who is nearly finished with her certification, and it basically consists of attending a workshop for a few days, reading some books, and attending a certain number of births (I think five).  I assume that the point was that Caroline and Laird are delusional and misinformed about what they're capable of doing on their own at a home birth.  

Regarding Jessa's new aspiration to be a therapist, I was reading an article recently that said a lot of substance/alcohol abuse counselors have very little formal training and mostly got into the field because of their own experiences and treatment, so it may be possible for Jessa to realistically get into some kind of counseling job without going to school, necessarily.  I do share many people's concern that they're going to handle this like Hannah's "teaching" storyline though.  

Great episode because it was one of the few that balanced screen time between the four Girls. Normally its 80% whiny Hannah or far too much shrill Marnie for my taste.

Lena Dunnam surprised me because I thought the acting in the hospital scene with Adam was quite well done; subdued but poignant enough to show her struggle.

I don't ever want to hear Alison Williams sing again. She may be able to sing on key but her voice is thin and sharp--not at all pleasant. 

Gabby Hoffman must've been pregnant in real life because those were some big ol' brown nipples for a white girl.

Fran is smart. Fran is sensible. Fran has previously displayed he has the common sense and self-respect to never chase after a mess like Hannah Horvath--so what changed?

• Love 1

Aren't midwifes/doulas registered nurses? I find that scenario just as unlikely as the therapist one. Either option would require years of sustained hard work from Jessa, not just a moment of having her wits about her.

Doulas have no medical training. They are there for emotional support for the mother. CNMs (Certified Nurse Midwife) have masters or doctorates in nursing. CNMs are not allowed to attend home births in the US. CPM is the title that homebirth midwives use and they do NOT have similar education or training to CNMs, nor do they have the scope of practice (they cannot start IVs, write prescriptions, etc.). 

Adam was my hero. He screamed all the things I wish I could scream at the homebirth parents whose babies end up in my NICU. I watched it 7 times already and it's still as satisfying. 

• Love 3

Regarding Jessa's new aspiration to be a therapist, I was reading an article recently that said a lot of substance/alcohol abuse counselors have very little formal training and mostly got into the field because of their own experiences and treatment, so it may be possible for Jessa to realistically get into some kind of counseling job without going to school, necessarily.  I do share many people's concern that they're going to handle this like Hannah's "teaching" storyline though.  

Yeah, I have a friend who does substance abuse counseling and is not a trained therapist but an ex-user. We'll see what happens.

I don't get, though, why people are so bugged by Hannah's "teaching." Private school teachers are not required to have majored in education, but they do have to have loved and majored in the field in which they're going to teach. Her inappropriate relationship with the girl student aside, we did see Hannah lead a lively, thoughtful discussion about some book (can't remember now what it was) and that was the whole point -- to challenge the students to think and and that's what all of that tuition is for. Plus, this is fiction and we can't expect it to adhere to every reality of life. I went to private school from fifth grade on and in high school, there was no textbook for our classes. We did have a grammar book for French and English but as I recall the English one was more for a reference. But we read tons of novels in both languages and wrote papers. I was fluent in French when I graduated.

Yeah, Hannah was imperfect and at times inappropriate in the classroom, but if she did everything right, what would be the fun in watching her and her crazy friends.

I'm hoping we definitely will see Adam again and I suspect he'll make time for the show. It's not like it would require tons of time. I also think when the series returns ten long, painful months from now, Shoshana may be a whole different and a marketing wunderkind. Tokyo is perfect for her and I'm glad she decided to go.

See you in January, girls!

Also, isn't it unlikely that a company would send a girl fresh out of college on an overseas assignment, especially someone who has no foreign language skills?

What exactly is she going to be able to do in Tokyo?  Are they going to wait on her until she picks up enough of the language?  She might as well do the job from NY, over the Internet, using Google Translate.

It's not that unusual.  More established people often don't want to relocate so far away. (Assuming of course that she is qaulified for that level job with the company in the first place.)

Gabby Hoffman must've been pregnant in real life because those were some big ol' brown nipples for a white girl.

I read she was 8 months pregnant when they filmed the season.

The only thing I have ever seen Fran in previously was The Office (US).

I also saw him in the movie Obvious Child.

Edited by peeayebee

What is Shoshanna's career that she's moving to Japan?

Also, I missed the last few minutes of this episode because my neighbor's car caught on fire and I wanted to watch it burn and ogle the firemen, so could somebody fill me in on what went down between Hannah and Adam?

I could never be on this show (not that I'll ever be invited) because I don't have enough self-confidence is baring my bod.

I have a couple of friends who are doulas. They act as advocates for the mother's emotional needs during the birthing process. They had to do a couple of classes, a bunch of readings, and attend a specific number of births in order to get the credentials to be a doula. There are some midwives who are also nurses, but not all of them. 

If Jessa starts saying that she is a therapist or counselor without attending school first, I am going to be incredibly irritated. I have a bachelor's in social work and have a lot of friends who are therapists. The amount of time and energy they put into their schooling and practicum experiences is something Jessa would never be able to handle. Becoming a therapist isn't something you just go in and apply for on a whim. It takes years to be able to call yourself a therapist/counselor.

• Love 1
Maybe Hannah, Shoshanna and Jessa should go back to high school as students to relearn everything about appropriate behavior that they failed to learn the first time.

This show appears to be written by and about tweens trying to act grown up.  A post-modren Mickey and Judy movie, without any of the talent.  It's so lacking in wit, insight, emotion that I am incapable of understanding what people find appealing about it. 

• Love 2

My 2 cents on the nudity this episode:  I didn't mind it, as it made total sense. I don't mind the "realness" of her body, but I'm not going to lie, I'm a True Blood fan...I'm all about seeing some nekkid Mangianello or Kwanten in all their unreal perfection.  LOL. 

I appreciated both Jessa and Hannah during the labor/birth scenes.  It has been a long time since I felt that way. Wrapping Caroline in a blanket and everybody carrying her down the street in NYC was hysterically funny; I very much enjoyed it.

Like many of you, Ray saying what he needed to say to Desi was great.  I liked it even better when I pretended it was all about Ray's jealously.  Marni is such a nonentity to me.

Aw, Shosh.  Bless her heart.  I'm excited for her to go to Japan!  Maybe she'll grow up a bit. I'll miss seeing Jason Ritter.

Jessa as a therapist. Yeah.  No.  Hell no.

I'm proud of Hannah for saying no to Adam.  I thought that scene was very nicely acted by Drive and Dunham.  I think I'd be fine with them finding their way back to each other at some point, but not now.  I like Fran.  I'm sure she'll totally mess his cute ass up, but for the moment it is super cute.

I'm a little disappointed that "6 months later" was only for Hannah and Fran.  I'd like to have seen the other girls.

• Love 1

Also, I missed the last few minutes of this episode because my neighbor's car caught on fire and I wanted to watch it burn and ogle the firemen, so could somebody fill me in on what went down between Hannah and Adam?

If you have HBOGo or can find a stream, you will want to watch the scene.  It is probably Lena's best scene.  Adam told Hannah he broke up with Mimi-Rose.  Lost his center and wants Hannah back.  She says she can't do that and leaves his hand hanging mid-air.

DNtuE3f.png

I found this episode very enjoyable, funny and satisfying.  I liked that it showed growth, or some possibility of growth, for all of the Girls.  It touched on what is good in each of them:

-- Hannah makes the mature decision not to take Adam back and does so with some grace 

-- Shosh leans in

-- Jessa saves the day

-- Marnie mans up

Adam was my hero. He screamed all the things I wish I could scream 

Yeah, I love it when Adam goes ballistic at whatever stupidity is around him.  Maybe he's growing up too.

Ray disappointed a bit.  His takedown of Desi went from funny to rather cruel.  It got so bad I was kind of rooting for Desi to say "fine, loser, she still chose me."  Desi is douchey, but he's not mean.

Two unpopular opinions:  Hannah and Fran are a good couple.  Remember how cool she was on their date, before they went to Mimi Rose's art show?  I think Fran brings that out in her, especially now that she's said goodbye to Adam.  I could see them having a lot of fun together and being sympatico in their tastes and interests.

Also, I kind of liked Marnie's performance.  I know I know I know!  But Lena Dunham has written the Marnie character to be so completely annoying and without redeeming value that I feel like being contrarian.  

• Love 5

I just read that Gabby Hoffman is the daughter of Viva...from the Andy Warhol, Chelsea Hotel, Studio 54 days.  Maybe everyone knew but me.

Herfe's another opinion about the Hannah-Fran coupling.  He reminds her a lot of her dad...a helpful and kind man.  He'll figure out he's gay.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2

It's kind of a bummer that Lena chose to show a home birth that helps to spread the idea that it's for quacks. In Canada, midwives attend low-risk home births all the time and it's a really great option for families that want to have that kind of birthing experience. Obviously not for everyone (say someone who is giving birth to a 1.5 month early baby, has no medical professional attending and has seemingly had no prenatal care!) but a viable option for some and this kind of perpetuates the idea that only extremely irresponsible people participate in home births. 

Edited by Missbusy2000
  • Love 2

Hee-- that's why I asked. I have never been pregnant, and I found her breasts fascinating. Like big scarlet poppies on a creamy golden beach. She was like a Gauguin.

• Love 2

If Lena featured a lot of her nudity to tweak public expectations of what they want to see on the screen, it could be said that featuring a nude pregnant woman for so much of the episode was her doubling-down on the shock value.

The DIY home birth was horrible to watch. I fully support women (and couples) making their own choices, but as was previously mentioned, the 6 weeks early thing was alarming! Almost as alarming--the obvious mildew all over the bathroom tiles. There were so many things wrong with that scenario!

The ending with Fran was so disappointing. And while I was so happy for her the way she handled the Adam situation, it didn't really ring true. How could she be so clueless about so much (how to behave with students, for example) and then act with such maturity with Adam? And then 6 months after she repeatedly showed her ass to Fran, he's ready to date her? Doesn't add up for me.

Peter Scolari's strained voice greeting Hannah on the phone ... great job. That scene was painful.

I'm worried about Shosh, but good for her. Marnie -- meh. But I thought Allison Williams did a good job with the material. The way she was fighting back tears when dealing with Spike Jonze. I said it last week, I'll say it again -- she and Ray have great chemistry.

• Love 4

Two unpopular opinions:  Hannah and Fran are a good couple.  Remember how cool she was on their date, before they went to Mimi Rose's art show?

Eyesglazed, it's not that I don't like Fran for Hannah.  I just worry about what she's gonna do to him.  He said he wanted someone grounded and well, he picked Hannah.  Maybe they'll balance each other a bit, but he seemed pretty centered already.  Oh well, sometimes people end up with better than maybe they deserve at the time and they rise to it. 

It does annoy me that Ray still adores Marnie so thoroughly.  I liked him better when he was mildly scornful of her.  And I loved Shosh's reaction to his confession that he wasn't over Marnie yet.  Shosh had the correct reaction.  He needs to move on and find his Fran.  She's out there Ray. 

• Love 3

I just read that Gabby Hoffman is the daughter of Viva...from the Andy Warhol, Chelsea Hotel, Studio 54 days.  Maybe everyone knew but me.

I also just found out that her father was Anthony Herrera, who played James Stenbeck (one of soaps' first ubervillians) on As the World Turns. 

I loved Hannah in that scene too.  How cautious she was going to the door and then hesitant about what to do (obviously call 911 but I can see why she hesitated.  Gabby is such a strong personality).  Her embarrassment at seeing SO much when she's generally not that prudish. 

It's like she felt the difference between nakedness in a real situation and exhibitionist style nakedness that she and some of her friends tend toward.

EyesGlazed, table for two.

I kind of like Marnie and think her voice is sweet. I felt sorry for her when she was waiting for Desi and almost lost her gig. Ray was a bit too harsh to Desi who I think is an ass but not a particularly self aware of consciously manipulating one. His face looked truly upset when ray was on the attack with him.

Yes he strung Marnie along but Marnie had also been throwing herself at him and I think Desi believed his own Bs.

As for Hannah I think her dad coming out and even the principal talking to her about boundaries AHS pushed her into making more mature choices. When Fran told her he didn't need to know she respected that. Her rejecting Dam and doing it withiut a big king monologue was huge, Even the way she didn't et into it with her mom and just asked to talk to her father... This is a very different Hannah from a few years or even a few episodes ago.

Jessa actually might be a great therapist because she can tell the truth with no bs and doesn't take cpl eys eys she needs training. But she got adam to walk out on Mimi rose, she was good with the old lady, she was heroic in this episode.

Shosh.. Mixed feelings. Some of one great jobs overseas things are a little off. But who knows. It was presented like a solid company so maybe it will be fine. And yeah, she's young enough that she can just go.

Caroline was so doped üp in the hospital it made me giggle.

• Love 3

Eyesglazed, it's not that I don't like Fran for Hannah.  I just worry about what she's gonna do to him.  He said he wanted someone grounded and well, he picked Hannah.  Maybe they'll balance each other a bit, but he seemed pretty centered already.  Oh well, sometimes people end up with better than maybe they deserve at the time and they rise to it. 

Yes, this is exactly what I was getting at.  I think Fran brings out a more mature and relaxed Hannah, just as Adam brought out her insecurities and instability.  Let's hope for Fran's sake that this is true!

Even though this has been a crap winter in NYC, I still loved the final scene of kissing in the falling snow.  Reminded me that I used to like snow.

• Love 2

OK, so Dunham tried to "re-birth" all of the characters into decent human beings in the "Birth" finale. Fail. And #FreeFran.

A new generation was born and Hannah was forced to see her parents as people with needs of their own, instead of a unit devoted only to her. Made sense to me.

• Love 8

OK, so Dunham tried to "re-birth" all of the characters into decent human beings in the "Birth" finale. Fail. And #FreeFran.

With the exception of Marnie, I see the mass rebirths as a success.

• Love 3

I really liked this episode and actually laughed out loud a few times. Ray's rant at Desi was great, and even though it went on a bit long, I liked it because it represented all the times I wish I could have said those things in real life, but never did because it would be too mean.

I'll say it- I liked Marnie's singing too! I think the song was sweet and suited her voice, and to be frank I like her singing voice better than her speaking voice, which has an annoying nasal quality or something. And I loved Ray's pep talk- "I can't believe I'm saying this, but you have to keep the music alive!" (paraphrase)

John Ritter jr can do so much better than Shoshanna (why the heck does he like her after the way she treated him in that job interview?). The "I'm almost in love with you" line didn't annoy me, and I actually thought it was kind of sweet because sometimes it's difficult to gauge the seriousness of a relationship in the abyss between casual dating and declaring "I love you". But I'm glad she's moving to Japan. Even if it's only temporary, it will do her a lot of good to get out of her comfort zone and grow up a little on her own, and I can only imagine her hilarious take on Japanese culture. She's either going to fit in perfectly or be a total disaster, and I would watch either scenario. 

I think Jessa could be a good therapist if she actually grew up and took it seriously, but I'm not holding my breath. I could see her running interventions, or group therapy successfully, but that path could also get her in serious trouble because she has major boundary issues, no respect for authority, and very little empathy. It's really a coin toss whether she will become rich and famous by developing her own unconventional type of treatment, or get arrested for unprofessional conduct. Actually, knowing Jessa, it could be both!

It's kind of a bummer that Lena chose to show a home birth that helps to spread the idea that it's for quacks.

I totally agree with this. Since moving to the UK I've made friends with a woman who is actively involved in our local NHS trust as an advocate for home births (she also had one last year), and even though I wouldn't have one myself, I have learned a lot about them and I've become acutely aware of how negatively they are portrayed in US tv and movies. They are shown as the choice of quacks and hippies, or as hilarious slapstick. For example, I love the Mindy Project, but the portrayal of the competing midwifery service is pretty ignorant and offensive. I think Lena did a good job of showing that this particular instance of home birth was ill-advised, for many reasons, but I didn't expect the general idea of home births to be the butt of the joke.

The "six months later" thing annoyed me because it put too much emphasis on Hannah's love life, instead of all the other stories that are infinitely more interesting. Of all the threads presented this last season, the identity of Hannah's next boyfriend was probably last on my list of things I was curious about. I think they should have shown all the girls progress six months on, or just remove that pointless scene. I don't really care if she dates Fran, and the general reaction seems to be that people are disappointed he went back on his wise decision to stay away from drama queens like Hannah, so I'm not really sure what Lena was hoping to show in that scene.

Overall, I was pretty satisfied with this season and look forward to next year.

• Love 4

Ray, you are the true hero of this show! Don`t you dare hook up with Marnie! 

It's weird to me that Ray's been retconned as a heroic figure. He started the show as a hotheaded misogynist with no respect for Marnie. It was kind of nice to see an older character who hadn't gotten his life together trying to hang out with younger people who didn't know better. I would have ended his story with Shosh breaking up with him when she realized the real dynamic, similar to Hannah's student cutting her off.

• Love 3

I've just watched "Obvious Child" and I think I'm in love with Jake Lacy. Also: Gabby Hoffman is a really good actress. I've forgotten about that. (Obvious Child is a great song - and i'm not saying this because of the partnership with Olodum - you know Brazil and all...)

IMHO, this was a great season. The girls acted like friends again (well, not counting Jessa), Hannah seemed to learn something as did Shosh. And I could relate more with them, with their awful decisions. It was more like the first season. 

I'm hoping that Hannah and Adam aren't endgame. I really am. I understand the appeal and all but wouldn't be great if an endgame romantic relationship wasn't  toxic? I know it's partly fault that tv series have a lot of seasons and they need to make up drama but still...So, yeah, I'm hoping that Hannah stay put with her decision. 

Season 5: I'm (gladly and not "oh my god, why can't I stop watching this damn show") in!

Edited by braziliangirl
  • Love 1

I found this episode very enjoyable, funny and satisfying.  I liked that it showed growth, or some possibility of growth, for all of the Girls.  It touched on what is good in each of them:

-- Hannah makes the mature decision not to take Adam back and does so with some grace 

-- Shosh leans in

-- Jessa saves the day

-- Marnie mans up

Yeah, I love it when Adam goes ballistic at whatever stupidity is around him.  Maybe he's growing up too.

Ray disappointed a bit.  His takedown of Desi went from funny to rather cruel.  It got so bad I was kind of rooting for Desi to say "fine, loser, she still chose me."  Desi is douchey, but he's not mean.

Two unpopular opinions:  Hannah and Fran are a good couple.  Remember how cool she was on their date, before they went to Mimi Rose's art show?  I think Fran brings that out in her, especially now that she's said goodbye to Adam.  I could see them having a lot of fun together and being sympatico in their tastes and interests.

Also, I kind of liked Marnie's performance.  I know I know I know!  But Lena Dunham has written the Marnie character to be so completely annoying and without redeeming value that I feel like being contrarian.  

Fran is going to turn out to be gay and run off with Elijah. Like mother, like daughter.

• Love 2

OMG Marnie's nasal speaking voice is worse than her singing. She's basically unwatchable to me at this point because of it.

I think Fran must be one of those people who claims he doesn't want drama but is actually drawn to it.

• Love 2

I felt like the seams showed in a really distracting way with this episode and with scene after scene centering around some of the most annoying circumstances in the current Girls universe, I almost straight up hate it. I think all the major takeaways were spot on and at least set up potential for some new, interesting developments next season, there was just something about the way it was all delivered that turned me off, personally, which kind of surprised me since I enjoyed this past season a lot. It felt like you could track things through to that culminating moment between Hannah and Adam but not much was done to build up to the big insights for the other girls. Which is just fine but the finale felt like it was trying to sell those insights as sentimental payoffs but there wasn't much of any lead in to earn it.

As contrived and generally horrible the home birth stuff device was, the Ricky Lake line came out of nowhere and had me laughing. The shot of Jessa's eyes going wide underwater did really stand out as a great moment to me.

Agree with others that Ray's latest sanctimonious screed seemed like cruel piling on after a few punches and although it's been clear he's the exact guy to think all that about Desi, and it's been set up that he's got an infatuation with Marnie that might fuel all that jealous anger, I don't know that Desi simply arriving at the counter to pay off a tab would get him going to THAT degree. Like what in particular THIS exact time set him off? Seemed like a lot of wish fulfillment on behalf of the audience that just became overkill.

I liked Ray's characterization in the early episodes where he was more clearly tragic in his own particular way. I don't think the show necessarily thinks of him as somehow more together as the other characters%u2014like I sincerely hope he isn't meant to be some righteous counterpoint to all the girls' "unrighteous behavior"%u2014but it doesn't feel like it does the same job of making it clear in later seasons. I think he's stuck in some weird, creepy behavior dealing with whatever WASPy Marnie symbolizes for him and that it'll probably be addressed somehow next season. There's just something in the tone of this show sometimes that let's those ambiguous character moments veer more positive and heroic than they probably are meant to play.

It's kind of a bummer that Lena chose to show a home birth that helps to spread the idea that it's for quacks. In Canada, midwives attend low-risk home births all the time and it's a really great option for families that want to have that kind of birthing experience. Obviously not for everyone (say someone who is giving birth to a 1.5 month early baby, has no medical professional attending and has seemingly had no prenatal care!) but a viable option for some and this kind of perpetuates the idea that only extremely irresponsible people participate in home births.

I'm a supporter of home birth, but what Caroline was doing was not a home birth (as in, a birth at home attended by a midwife who is trained in birthing, handling minor emergencies, and knowing when to transfer mothers to the hospital), it was an unassisted birth, with no proper equipment or protocol. And as you say, it was for a footling breech 34-weeker, something a midwife would never agree to undertake in a home environment.

I didn't think it made the point that only irresponsible people have home births, I thought it made the point that Caroline and Laird are so whacked out that they have no idea how to have a responsible home birth.

• Love 5

I think and would hope that most viewers would understand that nothing about that birth was typical or normal, including her being hauled down the street by four people (especially when I suspect Adam Driver could carry her on his own because he's fit).  Another show I watch just showed a much more typical homebirth and it was lovely.   I think the home birthing movement is safe.

The birth did remind me of the first time someone in my group of friends had a baby.  All of us went to the hospital to wait and her husband came out to tell us about it (she had an unexpected C-section) and there was just this moment of realizing that we were no longer the youngest generation anymore.   It makes you suddenlty feel like an adult in a way not even graduating college or getting your first job does.  I think Lena captured some of that feeling in this episode and kudos for her for managing to express it.   There have been times when I thought of her as a bit of poser but I do think she has more generous worldview and grasp of other generations than I gave her credit for at first.  I think it helps too that there are more writers on staff.  I noticed that at least half this season's episodes were written by other people.  It shows a certain maturity to let other people play with your creation. 

• Love 4

I'm very pleased with how the homebirth was presented and I hope it persuades more women to rethink their choice. We have a saying, "When every second counts, help is minutes away." Irreversible brain damage occurs at 4 minutes without oxygen. An OB can get you from a delivery room to an OR in 30 seconds. It's difficult to get a laboring woman to move at all. let alone climb onto a stretcher and be hauled up or down stairs. Transfer is often too late to prevent permanent injury or death for mothers and babies. Emergent situations can occur in seconds, even in low-risk, healthy, young mothers. 

Homebirth midwives in the US are NOT nurses. The CPM certification does not require a college degree and has minuscule requirements when compared to a CNM or an OB. Many of them only have high school educations and are direct-entry (i.e. they never set foot in a classroom). Their scope of practice is extremely limited - all they can do is call 911 in an emergency.

I am actually surprised that Lena Dunham presented homebirth honestly. Good for her. If it keeps even 1 Jessa-Hannah out of my NICU, then the entire show was worth it.

• Love 2

This is a very interesting discussion of home births. However, let's get back to the topic of the actual episode. I encourage everyone to take discussion of home birth opinions and experiences over to the Small Talk thread. Thanks!

Hmmm....I'm having trouble thinking of what else happened in the actual episode. The rest of it was kind of overshadowed by something actually  happening for that required the characters to take direct and immediate action. I do wonder about Shosh accepting a job from someone with a neon sign behind her head, who freely admits she's about to fire a bipolar employee the minute she's manic again.....although I can see how a bipolar person and Japan would not be a particularly good fit. Loved Ray's little speech which was obviously about Marnie, not the borough.

Speaking of the title of the episode, Home Birth...wasn't Desi's girlfriend Clementine pregnant, too? Could that be where he was?

Edited by Hecate7

Adam was my hero. He screamed all the things I wish I could scream at the homebirth parents whose babies end up in my NICU. I watched it 7 times already and it's still as satisfying. 

I am going to work "This is the dumbest idea that's ever happened" into my every day life (with the exact same inflection).   I think it a lot, but don't think I ever say it out loud.

I think Lena looked the most beautiful she has ever looked in the Nicu gear during that scene with Adam.

• Love 2

I really do not understand what Ray see`s in Marnie. He must just see her as some kind of beautiful, untouchable goddess, because if he actually knew her, he would probably notice how lame she was. It seems like Ray is kind of getting his life together, but it will never really work if he`s obsessed with Marnie. 

Looking back at it, I really wish Ray`s rant against Desi had more to do with what a pathetic, lame excuse for a person he is. And it would have nothing to do with Marnie. I like Ray, but he aint exactly a picture of a well adjusted human being. 

• Love 3

I'm a supporter of home birth, but what Caroline was doing was not a home birth (as in, a birth at home attended by a midwife who is trained in birthing, handling minor emergencies, and knowing when to transfer mothers to the hospital), it was an unassisted birth, with no proper equipment or protocol. And as you say, it was for a footling breech 34-weeker, something a midwife would never agree to undertake in a home environment.

I didn't think it made the point that only irresponsible people have home births, I thought it made the point that Caroline and Laird are so whacked out that they have no idea how to have a responsible home birth.

This. Not to stir it up again, but purely in the context of the episode: This show is basically all about people making extremely stupid choices and being incompetent at life, and Caroline and Laird are, if anything, in the show to make the primary cast look normal by comparison. I don't think anyone was going to mistake it for a documentary. 

That said. I was disappointed with how much of the episode was devoted to Gaby Hoffman. I know I'm probably some kind of uncultured heathen but I can only take her in small doses. 

Other episode thoughts: ugh, I suppose it means I'm a dysfunctional soul at my core, because I have difficulties with Hannah and Adam being apart. 

I hope we never lay eyes on Desi again.

I don't know if anyone commented on this, but I would NOT put my face in the tub water where there's another woman's .... fluids and open my eyes like Jessa did even if I had a gun on my face. That was even more disgusting than the tongue piercing scene (that I could not even watch) in a previous episode. Damn it Lena, you do keep me on edge!

• Love 1