Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

In the intro to Better Call Saul there’s a shot of his business card in the bottom of a nasty looking urinal. That’s where I’m picturing their tract. 

Jill talks about Washington state like it’s another planet. And no way Timothy says he loves Jill deeply. I’m totally convinced she writes everything she attributes to those poor kids. I won’t believe otherwise unless someone posts “SAVE ME FROM THESE NUTJOBS” from her account.  Is that you, Nurie?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Enya Face said:

“You embarrass jesus”

I want this on a fucking Christmas card.

David R can print some for you

I love you deeply..to your mother? What....the...ever...loving....hell?!

• Love 18

The ice cream parlour! What kind of ungodly filth are you trying to push, kalamac? In the 1890s, which as every fundie knows was the pinnacle of human civilization, teachers could be fired for hanging out at the ice cream parlour! ;) Mama Jill knows better than to let her sweet angels loose at  place like that (unless they're using their pocket money to buy a little treat for Mama SMILE). 

• Love 18

I find it interesting that Jill barely speaks of her other kids. It’s all Timothy, Nurie, Janessa, and sometimes a mention of kaylee and Renee. And the fact that there are THIRTEEN of them. 

1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

I am a Graphic Designer. I can so do this. Just sayin. 

Different thread, but great holiday card for D-bag Derick!  

• Love 21
12 hours ago, kalamac said:

Notice Jill says something about watching 'girly' movies. Since most movies that are considered 'girly' are of the RomCom variety - and usually involve things like bars, pre-marital sex, and clothing Jill would call immoral, I wonder just what kind of 'girly' movies she would approve of and watch.

Does Kirk Cameron maybe do religious RomComs where he meets his future wife in church (oh, how they laugh when they reach for the same bible), then they go to the ice cream parlour (where she almost makes the mistake of ordering for herself, before letting him get her a fat free frozen yogurt so she doesn't lose the figure he can barely make out under her modest sack dress), then they get married (more hilarity when he pretends he lost the ring), and finally have babies as God intended for it to happen.

Hallmark does make some films/tv shows that are more faith-based than their cheesy rom-coms.  They have a series based on Janette Oke's books which might be Jill-approved.  There is a website that reviews movies and tv shows for a conservative Christian audience.  https://dove.org/the-story-of-the-dove-foundation/

Now Jill is probably more conservative than the reviewers of this site, but it is a starting off point.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Zahdii said:

If the R's woke up one morning to find that they lived in a small country town during the depression, they would be in a world of hurt. 

So true.  They romanticize the past (like the the show the Waltons), but living that way is a whole different world.  My father grew up on a farm during the Depression.  They'd never make it.  When they go to Amish country, I always think about how hard they would have it if they lived that way.  They like to think it's all wonderful, but that community would be seriously shunning them for David's laziness and Jill's appearance and attitude.  I wish they would have to live like that for at least a month.  

• Love 18

And wouldn't mending clothes and even sewing on a button be more difficult than making some curtains and blankets? Aren't curtains and blankets just a bunch of straight seams? It seems like that would be simple enough with a sewing machine. 

I don't see, but I feel like I could do all those things. Well, maybe not the mending to the point where it looks good. But I CAN sew on a button and I have faith I could guide a sewing machine to sew straight lines.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Broken Ox said:

So Jill has a sewing machine that she doesn't use that often. And Nurie, who LIVES IN THE SAME HOUSE, went out and bought her own sewing machine? Why?

Because it makes the "story" more special. Look at how self-sufficient my Nurie is, Godly, submissive, creative, blah, blah, blah.

• Love 17
On 10/17/2018 at 4:21 AM, awaken said:

I find it interesting that Jill barely speaks of her other kids. It’s all Timothy, Nurie, Janessa, and sometimes a mention of kaylee and Renee. And the fact that there are THIRTEEN of them. 

Different thread, but great holiday card for D-bag Derick!  

Oldest son , oldest daughter , youngest baby . If she has another baby and Janessa turns out to be developmentally on track (no grifting chances) Jill is going to forget all about her too . 

• Love 18
7 hours ago, Broken Ox said:

So Jill has a sewing machine that she doesn't use that often. And Nurie, who LIVES IN THE SAME HOUSE, went out and bought her own sewing machine? Why?

The sewing machines are part of their dowry. 

Sorry @Churchhoney I hadn’t seen your post yet. Great minds...

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I hate the "submissive" adjective, also. What a horrible thing to be called as an adult. 

I want to believe she is meaning it in the sense of a lack of pridefulness and the willingness to submit to God's will in all things (not that that sounds much better to me personally), but it's telling that she doesn't (unless I've missed it) seem to use that same adjective to describe any of her sons.

• Love 9

What is that strange scarf thingy hanging down in front of her skirt? I wonder if she will start wearing Jeans any time soon. Those two are far too young to marry.

Seems Carlin is next - her wedding should provide pretty good snarking fodder for us;-)

• Love 2

From looking at the other photos, the skirt and bib are not fiitef to her waist.  So when she is holding the pumpkin it is squished forward giving that weird drapey scarf look.  I think the bib top skirt was chosen for its colour and autumn tone.  It will probably never be seen again, or until it pops up as maternity wear.

• Love 4

She is wearing a jumper, but her hair covers the straps. I don't think there's a scarf; it's just the way the skirt hangs. I'm not a fashion plate, but I don't think those clothes are flattering. (Particularly the jumper).  

Fundie skirts are so short, compared to old Gothard standards. 

(According to her Instagram, that Jumper is in style. I feel so old.) 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

She is wearing a jumper, but her hair covers the straps. I don't think there's a scarf; it's just the way the skirt hangs. I'm not a fashion plate, but I don't think those clothes are flattering. (Particularly the jumper).  

Fundie skirts are so short, compared to old Gothard standards. 

(According to her Instagram, that Jumper is in style. I feel so old.) 

A short Fundy skirt is just below the knees. From Josie's honeymoon pics it appears Josie has gone mainstream in her clothing choices.

• Love 4

I think Josie and Kelton are going to be the new Alyssa and John. Just because they have good jobs and seem like responsible adults doesn't mean they're suddenly going to start using birth control. They'll probably have 3-4 kids by the time she's 25.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I think Josie and Kelton are going to be the new Alyssa and John. Just because they have good jobs and seem like responsible adults doesn't mean they're suddenly going to start using birth control. They'll probably have 3-4 kids by the time she's 25.

I agree. They're pretty to look at and more stylish than the average Fundie; but at the end of the day they're just that: Fundie. I'm sure Kelton's been raised to believe what happened to his mother was God's will and it shouldn't discourage him from wanting a child army of his own.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 11

I'm interested by the luxury brand name dropping, the Apple watch and Ray Bans. Hmmm. 

I think her outfit is cute, but she's gorgeous and could probably make a potato sack look good.  I like the color.

I've always told my teen daughter with clothes, a useful rule of thumb (especially with casual wear): short OR tight but not short AND tight.

Edited by MamaMax
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Can someone explain the details of Kelton 's mother's death. Was it childbirth related?

Sadly, it was. She died giving birth to Kelton's younger sister. Details are sketchy; they've never said whether it was a home or hospital birth. The family was living in South Carolina at the time.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A short Fundy skirt is just below the knees. From Josie's honeymoon pics it appears Josie has gone mainstream in her clothing choices.

I've seen unmarried Bates girls wear skirts like that short (Carlin?), but many fundie skirts are just above the knee. 

56 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Sadly, it was. She died giving birth to Kelton's youngerestsister. Details are sketchy; they've never said whether it was a home or hospital birth. The family was living in South Carolina at the time.

They made a video. She died in a hospital. It's possible she tried to have a home birth, but that is unclear. Remember Joy and Jill Dillard both gave birth in a hospital, but both tried to have a homebirth. Jessa also was rushed to a hospital after the birth. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4

No, that’s a pic credit.  @hawaiiansurfingboy is the IG handle of the person who took the photo. 

Hold on, this is interesting.

hawaiiansurfingboy is a guy from Tonittown, follows all the Bates and Duggars...and Melissa Benoist and Dove Cameron.  He’s got to be following Mel for either Glee or Supergirl...two of the gayest shows we’ve got. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Wishing Well said:

No, that’s a pic credit.  @hawaiiansurfingboy is the IG handle of the person who took the photo. 

Hold on, this is interesting.<snip>

hawaiiansurfingboy is a guy from Tonittown

Seeing this picture on his IG made me wonder..do you think a POC would ever be set up with anyone from either the Bates or Duggar families?

rps20181026_151542.jpg

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Seeing this picture on his IG made me wonder..do you think a POC would ever be set up with anyone from either the Bates or Duggar families?

Well both Marjorie and Lauren Duggar claim/have some hispanic heritage.  Nathan Bates was dating/ courting a  young woman named Ashley Sayler, who is black and mixed race. Ashley is on Instagram and you can learn more about her on the FJ Nathan Bates thread. 

Basically I think the Bates and Duggars would be okay with some who shares their beliefs marrying into their families. I think this is especially true of the Duggars, who seem less hung up about race than the Bates. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Well both Marjorie and Lauren Duggar claim/have some hispanic heritage.  Nathan Bates was dating/ courting a  young woman named Ashley Sayler, who is black and mixed race. Ashley is on Instagram and you can learn more about her on the FJ Nathan Bates thread. 

Basically I think the Bates and Duggars would be okay with some who shares their beliefs marrying into their families. I think this is especially true of the Duggars, who seem less hung up about race than the Bates. 

I agree. There's one black girl who seems to be a mutual friend of both families, and her husband is white, so it appears their main concern is like-mindedness rather than color. I don't know the friend's name, but she looks like a heavier Meghan Markle. Also, Sierra's husband is Latino, so interracial marriages aren't totally unheard of in their cult.

• Love 4