Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I would like to request good thoughts and prayers also. My cousin ( J) was killed in an accident at work yesterday. I am not sure what happened and not sure if I really want to know. It's hard for me,I mean I only saw him once a year at Thanksgiving but I knew he was THERE and if I needed him he would do anything for me and now he is gone. However for his mom (R) it is devastating. This is the second child she has lost. His sister (V) was killed whern we were 13, by a drunk driver, she was a day older than me. Losing two children  to preventable  accidents is just...no words. Also, he died yesterday, today is V's birthday so she does not even have that day that does not have sorrow attached. 

Sending you my deepest condolences 💐 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

My dad died this morning local time. I'm in the US and my parents live in Europe. We were supposed to visit in March 2020 and literally canceled that trip 2 days before flying out because Covid happened. We haven't been able to reschedule that trip due to a combination of finances(flights prices have skyrocketed), and Covid and were hoping for next spring. 

It's comforting that he's not in pain anymore but it doesn't make it easier. 

I'm so sorry for your loss. I also had to cancel a booked trip to see my dad in April 2020 and he died this past June two weeks before I was booked to arrive. Be gentle with yourself.

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I would like to request good thoughts and prayers also. My cousin ( J) was killed in an accident at work yesterday. I am not sure what happened and not sure if I really want to know. It's hard for me,I mean I only saw him once a year at Thanksgiving but I knew he was THERE and if I needed him he would do anything for me and now he is gone. However for his mom (R) it is devastating. This is the second child she has lost. His sister (V) was killed whern we were 13, by a drunk driver, she was a day older than me. Losing two children  to preventable  accidents is just...no words. Also, he died yesterday, today is V's birthday so she does not even have that day that does not have sorrow attached. 

I'm sorry for your loss and your family's loss.

• Love 9

I want to tell my Small Talk friends here that I am thankful for them. And I hope all of us in the states that celebrate Thanksgiving have a good one. 

So many of us have lost loved ones this year, and have faced losses- but I am thankful to be here in good health with the people I love that are still alive. Have a great day everyone. 

• Love 24

Coming out of the woodwork to wish you all a very Happy & Prosperous Thanksgiving.  For those who have faced losses, my wish you have peace & comfort today and in the coming weeks.  You have all been in my thoughts!

• Love 20

first, my sincere condolences to those who have lost family. it is pretty overwhelming, especially at the holiday's. 

second, dear friends, i wish you many blessings as you celebrate your thanksgiving, wherever you are. i am grateful for the 'friendships' here. dont ever underestimate what you all mean to each other (and me) in this sad time. 

• Love 18

@Scarlett45 - those sheets look so cozy! We are putting up our tree and other decorations today. We already put up the outdoor lights on a warmish day a couple of weeks ago. We were going to turn them on today, but as we sat down to Tday dinner last night, I decided to go ahead and turn them on. Then our neighbor (we share a front porch) turned hers on too! And so did the people across the street. We also watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles last night. First time for that tradition for us. 

Anyway, I want the tree in a different spot this year, so I've been rearranging the furniture to make that happen. I love all the lights and decorations that this season brings! 

• Love 9

yes BetyBee, we are in the same mode -- lights already up outside and lit, tree out in the family room waiting for me to put it together.  its a ton of work to decorate for christmas and i have stopped doing a lot of it but the tree and the lights outside are a must. they make me feel happy again. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

It is cold in Chicagoland. I got up to walk Cosmo before work (WFH today) and I put my halloween onesie on over my fleece pjs, my short north face,hat, hood and gloves. My poor face was CRYING- well when I got home and checked the weather app it was 18degrees F, NO WONDER I was cold. Cosmo loves this weather.....my dog and I are polar opposites in weather preferences. 

BUT I did wash and put my birthday gift from my Mom on my bed. I guess my sister isn't the only one who gets fancy Christmas sheets from Pottery Barn!

I did spend time yesterday thinking of Thanksgivings past and the loved ones that are gone. I was loved, I was protected, I was cared for- I was lucky. It just hurts to be without them. But I still have so many people that love me, I cannot complain.

92A7E0AF-31DF-4596-945F-73D71B3034C4.jpeg

Those sheets are adorable, are they flannel? Winter makes it hard to be a dog owner. When we lived in Connecticut it seemed like my dog took twice as long to find the right “spot”. This was my first Thanksgiving without my mom and dad, it was rough. But still thankful I had them as long as I did. 

• Love 19
4 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Those sheets are adorable, are they flannel? Winter makes it hard to be a dog owner. When we lived in Connecticut it seemed like my dog took twice as long to find the right “spot”. This was my first Thanksgiving without my mom and dad, it was rough. But still thankful I had them as long as I did. 

They are flannel! Very warm. I like them a lot, especially because they are festive but look adult. 

I admit I like having a dog far more than I thought I would. I didn’t think I would dislike it- as I do like dogs, but I am someone that 1. Doesn’t like being outside, 2. Doesn’t like going on walks- which I now do all the time! But Cosmo is so precious it’s worth it (and being outside for walks is good for me so it is good I am being forced to do it).

But at 6:30am when that wind hits your face it’s like WOAH. I also just realized today that I think Cosmo knows what my alarm means. Rarely does he whimper before it goes off, and on the weekends he does let me sleep an extra hour or so. 

((((hugs)))) to you missing your Mom and Dad this Thanksgiving. 

• Love 13

IMG_0840.jpg.a9f31a1f40a9635f30f38bbc6dcc0ee3.jpgIMG_0839.jpg.5d04e4284f598af5606dd6ede6621523.jpgI spent all day getting the tree up and decorated.  Almost all of the ornaments are from the 1880's to the 1930's, with a few from the 1950's.  There are a few Christmons that my mom made in the 1970's.  The ornaments on the bottom section are cat-proof ones I bought a few years ago.  Just in case they think they are balls to play with.  So far the cats haven't seemed to notice the tree too much.  Now they are on my lap keeping me warm.  One would think they had been working hard all day!

• Love 23
11 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I had my Covid booster earlier this week.

The next night when I went to sleep, I dreamed that Jeremy Vuolo asked to court me. When I said I didn't want to court him, a bunch of people showed up and told me I HAD to court him. It was horrifying.

I've read about a lot of odd side effects from vaccines, but this one... ? 😯

(Still grateful to have been able to get vaxed, of course.)

Got a booster on Monday.  No side effects except there's a knot about the size of a half dollar at the injection site which isn't painful, but itches.  Weird, but glad to have gotten it.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Got a booster on Monday.  No side effects except there's a knot about the size of a half dollar at the injection site which isn't painful, but itches.  Weird, but glad to have gotten it.

Husband got his yesterday and he just woke up with a stiff/sore arm this morning. I’m getting mine on Friday ~ can’t wait! So glad to finally get it!

• Love 8
10 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

IMG_0840.jpg.a9f31a1f40a9635f30f38bbc6dcc0ee3.jpgIMG_0839.jpg.5d04e4284f598af5606dd6ede6621523.jpgI spent all day getting the tree up and decorated.  Almost all of the ornaments are from the 1880's to the 1930's, with a few from the 1950's.  There are a few Christmons that my mom made in the 1970's.  The ornaments on the bottom section are cat-proof ones I bought a few years ago.  Just in case they think they are balls to play with.  So far the cats haven't seemed to notice the tree too much.  Now they are on my lap keeping me warm.  One would think they had been working hard all day!

Well of course they worked hard. They were your supervisors as you put up the tree. Management is HARD.

• LOL 15
  • Love 5
On 11/26/2021 at 10:09 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Looks great!

• Love 3

Can’t remember if I posted thus or not.  I had the Moderna booster on November 10th and woke up feeling like death warmed over. I was in so much pain the bottoms of my feet hurt to to walk. Fortunately I was off for Veteran’s Day, took the Friday off too, and was okay by Friday evening. Perhaps it was because I’d just gotten over that cold, but it was rough. I’m still glad I got it done though. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Can’t remember if I posted thus or not.  I had the Moderna booster on November 10th and woke up feeling like death warmed over. I was in so much pain the bottoms of my feet hurt to to walk. Fortunately I was off for Veteran’s Day, took the Friday off too, and was okay by Friday evening. Perhaps it was because I’d just gotten over that cold, but it was rough. I’m still glad I hot it done though. 

My Moderna booster is Monday and I have cleared my Tuesday schedule!

• Love 9

My husband and daughter felt horrible starting 24 hrs after the Moderna booster, and had fever and chills for 24 more hours. Not looking forward to mine this week!  And I have to work the next day!  Will be thrilled to have more immunity though!  

• Love 9

I think that I am the only person who keeps a Christmas Tree up all year.  One of my cats like to sleep on one of the branches and she doesn't even mess with the ornaments. The first time I tried to take it down  she clawed me to hell and back. 

Edited by CandyCaneTree
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Good new sunday.

I’m going to see the rocketts and maybe the circus this month. I am too old for both… but feel like I’m a kid at heart. 

And I really am tempted to go see new kids on the block in June. Oh boy I’m dating myself here! I think it would be so much fun.

• Love 10
49 minutes ago, awaken said:

My husband and daughter felt horrible starting 24 hrs after the Moderna booster, and had fever and chills for 24 more hours. Not looking forward to mine this week!  And I have to work the next day!  Will be thrilled to have more immunity though!  

If it’s any consolation, my sister took it and didn’t have any side effects.  The J&J shot made her sick but didn’t bother me at all. Hopefully you’ll be just fine. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

If it’s any consolation, my sister took it and didn’t have any side effects.  The J&J shot made her sick but didn’t bother me at all. Hopefully you’ll be just fine. 

Same. I had the Pfizer booster in my left arm and the flu shot in my right (at same visit) and neither arm was even sore. No side effects whatsoever. You never know!

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Same. I had the Pfizer booster in my left arm and the flu shot in my right (at same visit) and neither arm was even sore. No side effects whatsoever. You never know!

I just had the Pfizer booster in my right arm, and my first shingles vaccine in my left a little over a week ago. I'll get the flu shot later...didn't want to triple up on shots, and am a bit more scared of shingles than flu.

I didn't have any side effects from my first two Covid shots back in March. I felt horribly fatigued the day after these latest shots, though, so I'm putting it down to the shingles vax. Plus my shingles arm was really sore, and the Covid one felt fine. I do have a nasty bruise on it, though. I don't know what the guy doing the vaccine hit, but it bled all down my arm. He asked if I was on blood thinners, and I said, no. He'd just given me the other shot with no bleeding at all. And the bruise is still there over a week later. Weird. Mr. Jyn says he will go elsewhere to get his booster.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Good new sunday.

I’m going to see the rocketts and maybe the circus this month. I am too old for both… but feel like I’m a kid at heart. 

And I really am tempted to go see new kids on the block in June. Oh boy I’m dating myself here! I think it would be so much fun.

I love the rockettes and NKOTB!  Have gone several times!  Do it! :) where are NKOTB playing?

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I just had the Pfizer booster in my right arm, and my first shingles vaccine in my left a little over a week ago. I'll get the flu shot later...didn't want to triple up on shots, and am a bit more scared of shingles than flu.

I didn't have any side effects from my first two Covid shots back in March. I felt horribly fatigued the day after these latest shots, though, so I'm putting it down to the shingles vax. Plus my shingles arm was really sore, and the Covid one felt fine. I do have a nasty bruise on it, though. I don't know what the guy doing the vaccine hit, but it bled all down my arm. He asked if I was on blood thinners, and I said, no. He'd just given me the other shot with no bleeding at all. And the bruise is still there over a week later. Weird. Mr. Jyn says he will go elsewhere to get his booster.

I did the shingles vaccine in one arm and the flu vaccine in the other a couple years ago. May as well save trips!

30 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Long Island or NJ. 

Sounds about right! I jest. 🤣

• Love 3

graphic GIF

On 11/23/2021 at 6:54 AM, galaxygirl76 said:

My dad died this morning local time. I'm in the US and my parents live in Europe. We were supposed to visit in March 2020 and literally canceled that trip 2 days before flying out because Covid happened. We haven't been able to reschedule that trip due to a combination of finances(flights prices have skyrocketed), and Covid and were hoping for next spring. 

It's comforting that he's not in pain anymore but it doesn't make it easier. 

@galaxygirl76 I'm so sorry for your loss. 

• Love 6
On 11/23/2021 at 6:09 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

@crazycatlady58 I'm so sorry to hear of your loss also.

s 4 edit GIF

• Love 5
22 hours ago, marypat57 said:

The side effect that’s giving me the most trouble is the asthma

My asthma has been kicking my (__y__) lately..what are you taking now?🤔

I think I'm finally caught up on everyone's posts in here...we are a prolific bunch (which I Iove, btw!)

Also happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone💕

I had  ours here and it exhausted me, even though my kids and grands helped out a lot.

I just am really out of practice at being social, I guess. 🙃

Also Happy 1st day of Hanukkah to anyone who celebrates it.

I can't believe I remembered to call my daughter and her family in NM on the first day (for once.)

Especially since it came so early this year. At least I still have 7 more days to get a gift to my grands. I just don't know what to give them! The 5 of them are staying on their land in a small camper while their house is being renovated, and there is not an inch to spare for anything.

Ps any other old geezers here hate having to choose a new Medicare plan?

I always feel like I'm choosing the wrong one.ugh😂

• Love 5