Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Happy Solstice! My best friend is wiccan and I joined her for a solstice ceremony & then we drank homemade blackberry wine while counting our blessings for the year. You guys made my list because I've really enjoyed the support we have for one another.

That sounds fun.

• Love 3

My sweet Blake is gone. He was my tiny little bundle of attitude, who got adopted because Charlie jumped into my arms. When he lived with my mom he could sleep in my sisters bed and she would feed him food from her plate. He was my last cat of this “generation”. He was there when Charlie died, when Mr Norris died, and then he even let me bring a giant blond dog in here! Being an only cat turned him into a lap cat. 17 yrs of life and 14 years with us. 

I got home yesterday and the house felt so empty. I sad down to watch tv and my lap felt so bare. I’ve had cats almost my whole life, it’s amazing how quickly they turn. They are so small. 

When Mr Norris died my friend sent me a Harry & David box. The lid was the perfect size for him to sit in, and he loved it. He sat in it every day for a year and a half. When I got home I looked at the lid and threw it away. It was Blake’s lid and it was wrong to have it here if he was gone. 

I don’t know how many of you watched WandaVision but it was airing when my godmother was dying with cancer and it brought me a lot of comfort. I remember before the series aired (when I watched the previews) I thought to myself “Who did this to Wanda, Vision is dead, did someone drug her or kidnap her and make her have these fantasies?” I thought it was very brilliant that she did it to herself in her grief.

After the year I have had, I know exactly how Wanda felt. But as my Mom says “this is a function of continuing to live.”

459C11DC-0F6C-41DB-9E7A-8B3D793043D7.jpeg

14D97A8F-823D-4871-9560-12FDA38F60B2.jpeg

@Scarlett45, I'm sending you virtual hugs.  It sounds like Blake had a great life and a good passing.  He was a lucky kitty to have found you.

You've had a challenging 2021 for sure.  Here's hoping for nothing but fun and good times in 2022 (Morocco, anyone? 🙂).

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 9
36 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

@Scarlett45, I'm sending you virtual hugs.  It sounds like Blake had a great life and a good passing.  He was a lucky kitty to have found you.

You've had a challenging 2021 for sure.  Here's hoping for nothing but fun and good times in 2022 (Morocco, anyone? 🙂).

You are very kind @CouchTater. But I am going to cancel my Morocco trip. As of today the country is closed to international travel, and while it may be open by March, I am not sure if the tours/sites will be open for visiting etc. I have trip insurance so I will get everything I have paid for it back, but I am not going to pay the final deposit if the country is closed you know.

I may go visit friends in NOLA- I have some southwest credit.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

You are very kind @CouchTater. But I am going to cancel my Morocco trip. As of today the country is closed to international travel, and while it may be open by March, I am not sure if the tours/sites will be open for visiting etc. I have trip insurance so I will get everything I have paid for it back, but I am not going to pay the final deposit if the country is closed you know.

I may go visit friends in NOLA- I have some southwest credit.

Oh no!  You know, based on your trip announcement I booked a trip to Greece, also in March.  So far it's still a go, but I'm a little worried right now, too.  I also have trip insurance, and my final payment is due at the end of January.  I guess I'll need to make a final decision soon, too.  

• Love 9

So sorry to hear about Blake @Scarlett45.  Sorry about having to cancel your trip too. I have a cruise booked in April and I’m on the fence about making the final payment with Omicron running rampant.  I may do something closer to home since The Piano Guys will be touring and I’d love to see them.

Our numbers aren’t looking so good in Louisiana, FYI, and I expect Mardi Gras 2022 to be another super spreader. Proceed with caution. Hopefully you can plan something to lift your spirits. 

I found a poodle ornament to honor my sisters dog that had to be euthanized earlier this year. It still hurts but it helps to have some good  memories of him at Christmas. Maybe you can find one to honor Blake.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

So sorry to hear about Blake @Scarlett45.  Sorry about having to cancel your trip too. I have a cruise booked in April and I’m on the fence about making the final payment with Omicron running rampant.  I may do something closer to home since The Piano Guys will be touring and I’d love to see them.

Our numbers aren’t looking so good in Louisiana, FYI, and I expect Mardi Gras 2022 to be another super spreader. Proceed with caution. Hopefully you can plan something to lift your spirits. 

I found a poodle ornament to honor my sisters dog that had to be euthanized earlier this year. It still hurts but it helps to have some good  memories of him at Christmas. Maybe you can find one to honor Blake.

Mardi Gras. How did I forget about Mardi Gras? My brain is all over the place. 

Yes, I memorialize all of my pets with a Christmas ornament, with their photo and the year they died. I will order Blake’s sometime before the decorations go down and store it for next year. 

• Love 11

I wasn't on TWOP...why was the Duggar topic locked?  What did they allow and disallow there?

Topics got locked for a variety of reasons, mainly for the sorts of reasons that threads get locked on other sites: people being uncivil to one another, a bunch of off-topic posts, a massive controversy regarding the show that would lead to new people coming to the forums and not following the guidelines.  

TWoP has a Wiki page, you can take a look at it.  It was essentially a precursor of this site and a lot of others that are devoted to discussion of TV shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_Without_Pity

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

So sorry to hear about Blake, @Scarlett45. They do get to be such a big part of your life!

We just lost our Onyx a couple of weeks ago, and it's so tough when they seem to go from being fine to being gone within days. Onyx had been to the vet's some four months before, and got a clean bill of health, but then one day he didn't jump up on the bed to sleep w/ Mr Jyn, and was not wanting to move around very much, so we took him in to see whether he had some sort of bug - our Cora has gone through those about three times, when she just hides and looks miserable for a couple of days, but gets an antibiotic shot and is back to her old self in no time, so we were not too concerned, but the vet said that it appeared that Onyx's kidneys were failing. He tried some IV fluids, and medication, but two days later, it was clear that nothing more could be done and we had to say goodbye. He was Mr Jyn's buddy for the last 14 years, and not the brightest bulb in the box - just a big, dumb lug. We always said he was the personification (catification?) of John Steinbeck's Lenny. I wasn't that attached to him myself because he frankly couldn't care less if I lived or died; he was the definition of a one-man cat, and lived for Mr Jyn. But the house still isn't the same without him in it. I know Mr Jyn was devastated to lose him so unexpectedly, and now is worrying about going through the same thing with Cora, who is about 17. even though she mostly acts like a kitten. I do hope she has at least a few more good years left in her.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, zoomama said:

friends, i think i will be offline tomorrow and definitely for the next little while -- holiday plans and all. i wish you all the best blessings this Christmas. i know things have slowed for us in real life due to covid but i pray you can find moments of joy and celebration that suits your level of comfort. merry celebrating whatever holiday you celebrate...we do Christmas!!!

Happy holidays to you! 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

So sorry to hear about Blake @Scarlett45.  I may do something closer to home since The Piano Guys will be touring and I’d love to see them.

For Christmas I got tickets to The Piano Guys on Clearwater for my mom and my 96 year old granddad. Hopefully my mom will be healthy. 

• Love 14

@JYNNAN TONNIX , I'm so sorry for your loss of Onyx. 

We have them such a short time.  It's something I'm very conscious of with my two kitties, aged 2 and my dog, aged 8 (she still  looks and acts like a puppy).

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I can't believe the weather in Colorado tomorrow is Christmas and we only had 1 inch of snow so far.

In Chicago it’s 50 degrees! It had warmed up a little bit last night, but this morning I went “damn Cosmo it’s warm.” We ran into the neighbor who’s phone I saved in the snow bank last winter, and another neighbor. It was a lovely walk but didn’t feel like Christmas Eve at all. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

We have the possibility of snow in the overnight hours early next week. It NEVER gets that cold around here. The last time I saw snow around here was c.1994. 

That must have been the year we had enough snow to make snowmen in Stockton.  That was only the second time we had snow in about 60 years.  I live in western Nevada now, and we have been given a storm warning for today and tomorrow.  We are predicted to get 5 inches or so tonight and tomorrow--a white Christmas!  Which means I am here and my family is in California.  I'm sitting by the fire with 2 cats on my lap, listening to Christmas music, so all is good.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

Edited by CalicoKitty
  • Love 12

I’ve been busy in the kitchen so a little late to catch up on this thread. So very sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful kitties, @Scarlett45 and @Jynnan tonnix. I do hope your wonderful memories of their cuddles will bring you comfort.

Wishing all of the Small Talk family who celebrate a lovely Christmas holiday. 🎄☃️❄️🎅🎁

• Love 9