Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

My asthma has been kicking my (__y__) lately..what are you taking now?🤔

I think I'm finally caught up on everyone's posts in here...we are a prolific bunch (which I Iove, btw!)

Also happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone💕

I had  ours here and it exhausted me, even though my kids and grands helped out a lot.

I just am really out of practice at being social, I guess. 🙃

Also Happy 1st day of Hanukkah to anyone who celebrates it.

I can't believe I remembered to call my daughter and her family in NM on the first day (for once.)

Especially since it came so early this year. At least I still have 7 more days to get a gift to my grands. I just don't know what to give them! The 5 of them are staying on their land in a small camper while their house is being renovated, and there is not an inch to spare for anything.

Ps any other old geezers here hate having to choose a new Medicare plan?

I always feel like I'm choosing the wrong one.ugh😂

A gift card for food or Amazon? 

• Love 3

So much aggravation trying to get doctors' appointments that line up for my mom. She was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago because she was in so much pain that she could barely move. Thankfully, that cleared up to a point. She's now just in her normal condition of chronic pain. But they did find that the cyst on her spine which almost left her paralyzed a couple of years ago has recurred, and she will need surgery again. They told her she needed to see her spine surgeon. That was about 2 weeks ago. They said it should be done within a few days of her getting out of the hospital, and she was able to get an appointment with him in that time frame. He basically was able to tell her nothing without a clearer picture of what was going on with her spine, so ordered an MRI with dye for the following week, plus more xrays. When I took her to that, they discovered that they could not do the MRI because their machines were too strong since she had a filter implanted after a blood clot she had some 10 years ago which was not in her records for some reason. 

Her follow-up appointment was supposed to be today. In the meantime, last week we had talked to the surgeon's office a couple of times about the fact that they needed to fine a facility with the right kind of MRI machines. They said they would call us back. Yesterday, we called them to see whether they had found an appropriate place, and they said that, yes, they had, but they didn't know why no-one had called, and besides, it was really supposed to be our responsibility to set everything up. So we called them, and the best appointment we could get was for Dec 7th. So, called the surgeon again to reschedule a follow-up, and the best they can do now is January 5th. Well, they could have done Dec 29, but I have a cardiologist appointment that day which has also been moved back twice since the original date of Oct 18 since the echo-cardiogram tech has been out with an injury since then, so I would not be able to take her.

The big thing is that when she had the cyst on her spine a couple of years ago, it seemed to progress really quickly from where she was having some trouble with numbness in her legs, and such to them telling her that she basically needed emergency surgery before it paralyzed her legs. She never did get back to being able get around without a walker. I just hope that it doesn't go the same way now that she has to wait over a month for more testing.

The woman who usually helps her out/takes her to appointments/does some shopping for her has been out for the past 3 weeks with shingles which she has not been able to get over the pain from, so who knows whether she will be able to continue working, and Mom has been staying here since then, but I know she really wants to get back to her own house, but really needs to have someone there during the day most of the time. She can manage a day or two by herself, but not more than that, so she generally comes here on weekends, and has her help there four days a week from about 10:00 to 3:00. We'll have to go back to her place here shortly because she needs to refill her pill box, water her plants, and then has an appointment for getting her Warfarin levels checked in the morning, so will spend the night there and come back here after that. Then maybe I'll have some time to get some Christmas decorations up. 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
On 11/29/2021 at 3:04 AM, Love2dance said:

I think you should go everywhere that you are able for entertainment, @iwantcookies. We are never too old for fun! Enjoy!

Circus is $40+. I went pre COVID for about $15. Jeez prices went up! I’m definitely going to see the Rockettes. Circus not sure.

And Josh Groban is coming to NYC next year. I love his voice. 

Im just happy to go anywhere I miss busy NYC!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

So much aggravation trying to get doctors' appointments that line up for my mom. She was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago because she was in so much pain that she could barely move. Thankfully, that cleared up to a point. She's now just in her normal condition of chronic pain. But they did find that the cyst on her spine which almost left her paralyzed a couple of years ago has recurred, and she will need surgery again. They told her she needed to see her spine surgeon. That was about 2 weeks ago. They said it should be done within a few days of her getting out of the hospital, and she was able to get an appointment with him in that time frame. He basically was able to tell her nothing without a clearer picture of what was going on with her spine, so ordered an MRI with dye for the following week, plus more xrays. When I took her to that, they discovered that they could not do the MRI because their machines were too strong since she had a filter implanted after a blood clot she had some 10 years ago which was not in her records for some reason. 

Her follow-up appointment was supposed to be today. In the meantime, last week we had talked to the surgeon's office a couple of times about the fact that they needed to fine a facility with the right kind of MRI machines. They said they would call us back. Yesterday, we called them to see whether they had found an appropriate place, and they said that, yes, they had, but they didn't know why no-one had called, and besides, it was really supposed to be our responsibility to set everything up. So we called them, and the best appointment we could get was for Dec 7th. So, called the surgeon again to reschedule a follow-up, and the best they can do now is January 5th. Well, they could have done Dec 29, but I have a cardiologist appointment that day which has also been moved back twice since the original date of Oct 18 since the echo-cardiogram tech has been out with an injury since then, so I would not be able to take her.

The big thing is that when she had the cyst on her spine a couple of years ago, it seemed to progress really quickly from where she was having some trouble with numbness in her legs, and such to them telling her that she basically needed emergency surgery before it paralyzed her legs. She never did get back to being able get around without a walker. I just hope that it doesn't go the same way now that she has to wait over a month for more testing.

The woman who usually helps her out/takes her to appointments/does some shopping for her has been out for the past 3 weeks with shingles which she has not been able to get over the pain from, so who knows whether she will be able to continue working, and Mom has been staying here since then, but I know she really wants to get back to her own house, but really needs to have someone there during the day most of the time. She can manage a day or two by herself, but not more than that, so she generally comes here on weekends, and has her help there four days a week from about 10:00 to 3:00. We'll have to go back to her place here shortly because she needs to refill her pill box, water her plants, and then has an appointment for getting her Warfarin levels checked in the morning, so will spend the night there and come back here after that. Then maybe I'll have some time to get some Christmas decorations up. 

@Jynnan tonnix, that all sounds so frustrating! I know that doctors/dentists often say make an appointment in X number of weeks and when you go to make it, nothing's available until much further out. So frustrating! And not in the best interest of the patient! You are doing the best that you can and I hope it all works out for you and for your Mom. 

• Love 10

I’m taking my dad in for a cardiac catheterization tomorrow.  He’s had a quadruple bypass and 4 stents previously, so he knows what to expect.  Still…it’s scary.  Please say a prayer if you can.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 24
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m taking my dad in for a cardiac catheterization tomorrow.  He’s had a quadruple bypass and 4 stents previously, so he knows what to expect.  Still…it’s scary.  Please say a prayer if you can.  

I hope it goes well and smoothly. Sending healing wishes for your dad. ♥️

• Love 1

My quest to finish Project Yank the Uterus is still dragging on. The shots did not work-the fibroids did not shrink. So I was referred to a doctor in St Louis, the hospital here can no longer accommodate my surgery. I saw her yesterday. She would like an MRI before proceeding, due to some odd symptoms. So now I have to try to get that going. 

I appreciate that she is being cautious, but right now I'm angry. Not at her, or my OB/GYN here. But I started telling doctors about symptoms years ago. Years. They would do ultrasounds, and tell me yes I had fibroids, and later on that yes I had more/were bigger/both, but then would tell me I must be overdramatic due to the fact I possess a vagina, or let's discuss the fact that I'm not a single-digit size. I could have had this done when it was a very easy procedure. Even if I could have done it in Feb (thanks, Covid), it was going to be a harder surgery. Now it's complicated, and potentially even more complicated. And it didn't have to be like this.

Thanks for letting me rant. :)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Turquoise said:

My quest to finish Project Yank the Uterus is still dragging on. The shots did not work-the fibroids did not shrink. So I was referred to a doctor in St Louis, the hospital here can no longer accommodate my surgery. I saw her yesterday. She would like an MRI before proceeding, due to some odd symptoms. So now I have to try to get that going. 

I appreciate that she is being cautious, but right now I'm angry. Not at her, or my OB/GYN here. But I started telling doctors about symptoms years ago. Years. They would do ultrasounds, and tell me yes I had fibroids, and later on that yes I had more/were bigger/both, but then would tell me I must be overdramatic due to the fact I possess a vagina, or let's discuss the fact that I'm not a single-digit size. I could have had this done when it was a very easy procedure. Even if I could have done it in Feb (thanks, Covid), it was going to be a harder surgery. Now it's complicated, and potentially even more complicated. And it didn't have to be like this.

Thanks for letting me rant. :)

Tl/dr: Be your own advocate and switch doctors if you have to.

Big hugs @Turquoise; I’m right there with ya! Two myomectomies (one open, one laparoscopic), one D&C, 7 ultrasounds, and about one million liters of blood later and I’d had enough. I called my doctor in October and asked for the hysterectomy. We did one more ultrasound to confirm the fibroids were back and scheduled my surgery for January.  I’m a little nervous but relieved at the same time. I’ve been taking tranexemic acid for the heavy bleeding and it works, but it doesn’t completely fix the problem.  I also realized these stupid fibroids are causing constant back aches, and I’m tired of being anemic. 

After the first laparoscopic surgery I was good for about year before we discovered a large fibroid at the top of my uterus. I had the D&C and was good for 6 years before symptoms came back. Then I had to have an open myomectomy, which hurt like a son of a bitch, to remove 23 fibroids. No way in hell I’m doing that again! I equate taking out my non-working uterus to getting rid of a broken fridge. It doesn’t work and  it’s causing trouble so why keep it?

I’ll be 41 next spring, I’m infertile and I refuse to have a third myomectomy because I’ll probably end up needing the hysterectomy eventually anyway.  Fortunately I can have the robot assisted laparoscopic surgery so less recovery time.  My sister recovered really quickly from it so I’m hopeful.  I can’t wait to reclaim all that space under my bathroom sink.  I’m throwing myself a white pants party once I heal. 

All that to say stay on the doctors case. It’s your body and you know when something isn’t right.  I went through four doctors before I found a good one who listened to me. He retired between the D&C and second myomectomy, and I was blessed to find my current OB/GYN.  She’s around my age and is with the times and down to earth. And she listens! I’ve been everything between a size 12 and 18 and it never made a difference in getting the procedures done. 

The MRI is routine. I had one before each surgery, but it still missed that big one after the first myo.  The doctor needed to be able to see where all the fibroids were and if any surrounding organs were impacted in any way. That way they know of you’re a good candidate for the Da Vinci robot, laparoscope or open  surgery.  

All that to say I know where you’re coming from. Feel free to dm if you need to talk or vent.  Through this ten year ordeal I learned that some doctors just suck. They may have they medical knowledge but they have no bedside manner, or they aren’t open minded, or are stuck in stupid traditons (like not wanting to give you a necessary surgery because you don’t have kids yet🙄).  When I feel I’m not getting the proper care or respect I will change doctors like a clean person changes underwear. 

Last point and I really am done cuz this post is way too long.  Since you’re in the St. Louis market, you may want to consider a consultation with an African-American OB/GYN.  Fibroids are a lot lore common for African-American women, so those doctors may have more experience treating them if you feel you’re not getting the help you need. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 10

Marcus Lamb, CEO of Christian Daystar TV, has died of COVID-19.  His show frequently speeled out COVID misinformation, especially about the vaccines.

His son says his father died because he was spiritually attacked by the enemy for stating the truth.

• Love 5

Daddy’s doctor is held up with an emergency case….so….we’re waiting.  No idea how long it’ll take. Oh well, what can you do?  He’s napping, which is good. He’s so hungry.  I appreciate your prayers!

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13
36 minutes ago, louannems said:

Marcus Lamb, CEO of Christian Daystar TV, has died of COVID-19.  His show frequently speeled out COVID misinformation, especially about the vaccines.

His son says his father died because he was spiritually attacked by the enemy for stating the truth.

I have no words. 

• Love 9

I'm sorry this is so long. I'm having neurological issues & I don't want to scare my family, so I'm sharing them here. 
2 years ago my bloodwork showed a low level of Vit D3, so I started taking supplements. Since then it has gotten progressively worse and now I'm severally deficient. Vit D deficiency can lead to sleep issues, depression, and cognitive issues.

This fall I was written up twice at work for failing to perform necessary duties correctly. I have worked here for 14 years and have never been written up before, but I have made so many mistakes at work in the last 6 months that it was alarming. I made an appointment with my doctor and brought up my "Nysha is losing it list" and she recommended a brain MRI.

The doctor's office called me yesterday with the results. I have Small Vessel Disease (which causes dementia) and need to see a Neurologist asap. Last night I stressed so much that I couldn't sleep, then slept through my alarms and was 1 1/2 hours late to work. This is a big problem b/c my boss is at a conference so the tutor lab was closed until I got there. And, being AWOL when my boss was at a conference was one of the things I was written up for in October.

This stress on top of my family stress (Daughter #1's children have been in foster care since May, Daughter #2 is being investigated by CPS for possible abuse, Son #2, whom I am estranged from, is in a rehab center after jumping from a 3 story car park in a suicide attempt) and crippling social anxiety that keeps me from seeing a therapist may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I just want to lock myself in my room and ignore everything and everybody.

12 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I'm sorry this is so long. I'm having neurological issues & I don't want to scare my family, so I'm sharing them here. 
2 years ago my bloodwork showed a low level of Vit D3, so I started taking supplements. Since then it has gotten progressively worse and now I'm severally deficient. Vit D deficiency can lead to sleep issues, depression, and cognitive issues.

This fall I was written up twice at work for failing to perform necessary duties correctly. I have worked here for 14 years and have never been written up before, but I have made so many mistakes at work in the last 6 months that it was alarming. I made an appointment with my doctor and brought up my "Nysha is losing it list" and she recommended a brain MRI.

The doctor's office called me yesterday with the results. I have Small Vessel Disease (which causes dementia) and need to see a Neurologist asap. Last night I stressed so much that I couldn't sleep, then slept through my alarms and was 1 1/2 hours late to work. This is a big problem b/c my boss is at a conference so the tutor lab was closed until I got there. And, being AWOL when my boss was at a conference was one of the things I was written up for in October.

This stress on top of my family stress (Daughter #1's children have been in foster care since May, Daughter #2 is being investigated by CPS for possible abuse, Son #2, whom I am estranged from, is in a rehab center after jumping from a 3 story car park in a suicide attempt) and crippling social anxiety that keeps me from seeing a therapist may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I just want to lock myself in my room and ignore everything and everybody.

You work in higher ed right?  I would inform your supervisor immediately of the need for a possible ADA accommodation as it is affecting your ability to perform the essential functions of your job.  It appears this physical and/or mental impairment is severely limiting one or more major life functions and by law, your employer is required to provide you an accommodation. You will need your doctor to fill out the necessary forms, but if you can’t sleep or concentrate that shouldn’t be a problem.  

Once you notify your boss, they should begin the interactive process to provide you a reasonable accommodation.  This doesn’t mean they have to give you the accommodation you ask for, but they must make some accommodation unless to do so would cause an undue hardship.  And if they offer you something reasonable and you chose not to take it, they’re not required to offer something else.  So for example if you want to worm from home, and they offer you a modified schedule with a later start time, if you don’t accept then they don’t have to offer anything else. Most employers try to work with employees, but sometimes employees will try to game us when we’re in the interactive process.  

Also, and this is a biggie, reasonable accommodation ls are not retroactive. If you notify  them tomorrow, it won’t protect you from consequences today, but for tomorrow going forward.  

I hope everything gets better for you.  And if you want some info on possible accommodations for your condition, got to www.askjan.org and look through their accommodations library.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 15

@Ijustwantsomechips, thank you for the advice and the link. I know I would qualify for accommodations, I'm just not sure what kind I could ask for with cognitive issues. I kind of need my brain for all aspects of my job. But I will definitely check out the link for ideas.

• Love 11

@Nysha JAN lets you search the library by disability, limitation or work function, so that may help you get some ideas on what’s possible. That’s why the interactive process is so critical. Chances are your boss and HR may not know the best option to offer you either, so having a discussion about it suits everyone’s interests.  It will depend on what duties you’re struggling with and whether they’re essential or marginal functions.  

Some keywords to search the library for: executive functioning, psychological, cogniton, fatigue. 

And sorry if my last post makes me sound like an insufferable know-it-all. I’ve done this kind of work for years and just want to help people get what they need to do their jobs.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
27 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

And sorry if my last post makes me sound like an insufferable know-it-all. I’ve done this kind of work for years and just want to help people get what they need to do their jobs.  

OMG, you're being a lifeline in a sea of unknowns right now. I can't thank you enough.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I know this is a small thing, but if you’re worried about oversleeping again Amazon has an alarm that is not only loud, but it has something you put under the mattress to vibrate your bed. I got it for my son who’s a heavy sleeper, and it works.  It might take one worry off your mind while you get things sorted out.  
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BCKJFY4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EYHQZDBVYYQJV7H19CZH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Nysha said:

@Ijustwantsomechips, thank you for the advice and the link. I know I would qualify for accommodations, I'm just not sure what kind I could ask for with cognitive issues. I kind of need my brain for all aspects of my job. But I will definitely check out the link for ideas.

I would get a legal opinion, as well as specialized medical opinion.   They may want to know what other array of tests and evaluations you have had.   

Daddy did well. No blockages and I got him home after a mere 13 and one-half hour excursion!  It was an ordeal, but thankful for the good news.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 21
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

I would get a legal opinion, as well as specialized medical opinion.   They may want to know what other array of tests and evaluations you have had.   

You actually don’t need a legal opinion, just a completed certification form from your doctor.  The website I recommended is a good place to give insights on options, what to expect, and can help her communicate her needs to HR and the doctor.  

• Useful 2
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Daddy did well. No blockages and I got him home after a mere 13 and one-half hour excursion!  It was an ordeal, but thankful for the good news.  

That is truly a blessing, especially with his history. I’m grateful to hear this good news. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That is truly a blessing, especially with his history. I’m grateful to hear this good news. 

Yes indeed.  His doctor was shocked.  The stent from 2011 looked brand new!  Now, we’ll have to figure out how to keep him as healthy as possible.  He still has a weak heart and A-fib.

I don’t think hospitals consider how things are more difficult for seniors a lot of times, although, the staff was just great to us. They were so responsive. I couldn’t ask for more. I think the problem was scheduling. I don’t think his doctor should have had to handle two emergency cases in 1 day, before a scheduled procedure with an 84 year old.    Daddy was just exhausted. We got up at 4:50 a.m. arrived there at 7, waited for procedure until 1:00, released at 5:00.  (He had to lay flat for 2 hrs.)Due to traffic gridlock, I got him home at 7:00 p.m.   All of that and they forgot to give him his dinner! Lol. But, that was ok.  I didn’t want to lallygag around there too long…. I was trying to get out of the city ahead of traffic.   As I pulled out from hospital parking onto the street there was a terrible car accident that just happened….  2 cars badly damaged and one car turned over…people actually lying in the street on pavement….passerbys had gotten out to help…no police or rescue yet…I couldn’t stop with daddy in the car….he has anxiety and heart issues….so, we did get out of that section, but later caught in gridlock.  Still, we were very fortunate, in more ways than one yesterday.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hi friends. I have returned from doing some traveling. I just got back from taking my Mom on our Christmas Present- a vacation to Walt Disney World, we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge (our favorite resort) for 5 nights, and she got in her scooter like an obedient Mommy only after a few moments of reluctance. 

We had planned on going the first week of December 2021 to celebrate Christmas/the 50th Anniversary a few years ago, and after the events of the pandemic, losing my godmother and my Aunt E- this trip was all the more appreciated. My Mom needed a few nights away from my sister (without being in a hospital). M, stayed with her overnight for the first time, and dog/cat sat for me. M and my sister did well, given M had never done an overnight (she started working for us a few months before the pandemic) she said it was easier than she expected but my sister is loud at night! She said my sister was well behaved (of course she was, her Mommy wasnt there!!).

I feel so fortunate that I could do this for my Mom. We have had our struggles, but have been financially privileged, and my Mom has taken me on some very nice vacations in my life. The fact that I could do the same for HER, take away her worries for a few days, and just relax. My goal is to keep my Mom happy as long as I have her. I was blessed to get the mother I got, and so many I know do not have their mothers any more, I will keep cherishing mine. 

But if you want evidence that the supply line is truly FUCKED, take a look in a WDW gift shop- there were NO CUTE THINGS to buy. I got a rain jacket with Disney Cats and Dogs on it (get it, its raining cats & dogs!!) and a water bottle with the park icons, but thats it (and some ornaments for my sister's Christmas tree). But that's it. Never have I come back from a WDW trip and with extra money! There weren't even any mugs I wanted! (like I need more mugs) My Mom says she is staying alive to go back March 2023 for the Flower and Garden Festival (which neither one of us have been to). 

I am spending the morning taking our photos and making a photobook as one of my sister's xmas gifts. She LOVES photos of people she knows, and her favorite things are Us, Disney, and Christmas, so she is going to be obsessed with it. (she has one from our December 2017 trip that she keeps in a ziplock bag so it doesn't get dirty or wet)

I got to go to my favorite place, with my favorite person. Life is good. Here is a photo of the rain jacket, and for cuteness, Cosmo next to my dining room Disney themed Christmas tree.

1C85977B-0129-495F-8EED-4031653C8F02.jpeg

150EDEF9-68B5-4B71-A515-4B35985FDDA6.jpeg

It sounds like you had a wonderful time and you deserved it. 😄 I'm always glad to see Cosmo.  The raincoat is cute!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hi friends. I have returned from doing some traveling. I just got back from taking my Mom on our Christmas Present- a vacation to Walt Disney World, we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge (our favorite resort) for 5 nights, and she got in her scooter like an obedient Mommy only after a few moments of reluctance. 

We had planned on going the first week of December 2021 to celebrate Christmas/the 50th Anniversary a few years ago, and after the events of the pandemic, losing my godmother and my Aunt E- this trip was all the more appreciated. My Mom needed a few nights away from my sister (without being in a hospital). M, stayed with her overnight for the first time, and dog/cat sat for me. M and my sister did well, given M had never done an overnight (she started working for us a few months before the pandemic) she said it was easier than she expected but my sister is loud at night! She said my sister was well behaved (of course she was, her Mommy wasnt there!!).

I feel so fortunate that I could do this for my Mom. We have had our struggles, but have been financially privileged, and my Mom has taken me on some very nice vacations in my life. The fact that I could do the same for HER, take away her worries for a few days, and just relax. My goal is to keep my Mom happy as long as I have her. I was blessed to get the mother I got, and so many I know do not have their mothers any more, I will keep cherishing mine. 

But if you want evidence that the supply line is truly FUCKED, take a look in a WDW gift shop- there were NO CUTE THINGS to buy. I got a rain jacket with Disney Cats and Dogs on it (get it, its raining cats & dogs!!) and a water bottle with the park icons, but thats it (and some ornaments for my sister's Christmas tree). But that's it. Never have I come back from a WDW trip and with extra money! There weren't even any mugs I wanted! (like I need more mugs) My Mom says she is staying alive to go back March 2023 for the Flower and Garden Festival (which neither one of us have been to). 

I am spending the morning taking our photos and making a photobook as one of my sister's xmas gifts. She LOVES photos of people she knows, and her favorite things are Us, Disney, and Christmas, so she is going to be obsessed with it. (she has one from our December 2017 trip that she keeps in a ziplock bag so it doesn't get dirty or wet)

I got to go to my favorite place, with my favorite person. Life is good. Here is a photo of the rain jacket, and for cuteness, Cosmo next to my dining room Disney themed Christmas tree.

1C85977B-0129-495F-8EED-4031653C8F02.jpeg

150EDEF9-68B5-4B71-A515-4B35985FDDA6.jpeg

I hope your mom lives many, many more years! Mine is 86 and still going fairly strong.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I hope your mom lives many, many more years! Mine is 86 and still going fairly strong.

Me too! 

My Mom is 73, so I anticipate her being around a good bit more. When she was younger she had this fear that she wouldn't out live her mother (who died suddenly at 65) but then she had the realization that she was her father's child (looks just like him, has all his health issues etc) and realized she might live a long time.

Grandfather lived to be 89, and the dementia didnt start until 87 or so despite all of his health problems. But now my mom fears she will be just like her father and out live all of her friends. When my grandfather died he was the LAST of his peer group left- he outlived the long term girlfriend he had after my maternal grandmother died (she lived into her 80s as well), all of his friends, all of the gorgeous widows that would make him PIES and various other treats around the holidays (we would have to drive around the Southside of Chicago picking up all these treats for him 😂).

I am just glad she had a wonderful time, because originally she said "well maybe we shouldn't go, you can take the money and put it towards another WDW trip with your bff and god baby"- HELLZ NO that woman did not fix her mouth to say we were not going on this vacation. I told her "WE ARE GOING!"

The rest of the holiday season will be pretty low key for us which is nice. I love the holidays but things get BUSY. 

• Love 12

@Scarlett45 - your trip sounds wonderful! I know you feel blessed to have such a wonderful Mom, but she is blessed too - blessed with an appreciative and thoughtful daughter! My Mom is 91 and physically frail, but mentally alert. She has outlived most of her generation family & friend-wise, along with outliving 2 husbands and now one child. There are times when Mom seems annoyed that she's the last one standing! But then, my Mom has always been moody!

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

@Scarlett45 - your trip sounds wonderful! I know you feel blessed to have such a wonderful Mom, but she is blessed too - blessed with an appreciative and thoughtful daughter! My Mom is 91 and physically frail, but mentally alert. She has outlived most of her generation family & friend-wise, along with outliving 2 husbands and now one child. There are times when Mom seems annoyed that she's the last one standing! But then, my Mom has always been moody!

There are moments where I think my Grandfather has come back from the dead when my Mom gets moody too. She’s far moodier than she used to be, but she’s always nice to me cause I’m her favorite!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I already know 2022 is not going to be a good year for me.  We put my mom on Hospice last week.  Her dementia is to the point that she doesn't know if she is hungry or thirsty.  She has lost over 20 pounds (which she did not have), and is very confused and weak.  Her 95th birthday is next week.  Then, my brother tells me he has malignant melanoma.  He has 5 spots that will be removed over the next 2 months, and then will see where he is from that point.  I guess it is good to know ahead of time.  Yeah, it's not going to be a good new year.

9 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I already know 2022 is not going to be a good year for me.  We put my mom on Hospice last week.  Her dementia is to the point that she doesn't know if she is hungry or thirsty.  She has lost over 20 pounds (which she did not have), and is very confused and weak.  Her 95th birthday is next week.  Then, my brother tells me he has malignant melanoma.  He has 5 spots that will be removed over the next 2 months, and then will see where he is from that point.  I guess it is good to know ahead of time.  Yeah, it's not going to be a good new year.

I’m so sorry @CalicoKitty. Loved ones being sick is never easy. I just hope your Mom isn’t suffering. Take care of yourself too. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

i am saddened to read this. do your best to take care of you during this time. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I'm very sorry @CalicoKitty.  

• Love 4

I'm so sorry, @CalicoKitty. I second the positive things said about hospice. My dad was only under hospice care for the last 7 months of his life but it made a big difference to us that there was someone looking over the totality of his care and that the focus was palliative care. I've lost both of my parents to dementia--Mom at 71 and Dad at 85. I hope whatever time your mom has left is peaceful, for her and for you.

• Love 11

I join the others, @CalicoKitty, hoping that hospice will give your mom and the rest of your family comfort. And also that your brother will do well with his Melanoma care and treatments. Hugs.

So happy you and your mom had a well deserved vacation at WDW, @Scarlett45. Gosh, I just can’t imagine that the shops did not have an amazing amount of must-buy souvenirs. Can you imagine the amount of money WDW is losing in sales? I know your sister will treasure her photo book.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I join the others, @CalicoKitty, hoping that hospice will give your mom and the rest of your family comfort. And also that your brother will do well with his Melanoma care and treatments. Hugs.

So happy you and your mom had a well deserved vacation at WDW, @Scarlett45. Gosh, I just can’t imagine that the shops did not have an amazing amount of must-buy souvenirs. Can you imagine the amount of money WDW is losing in sales? I know your sister will treasure her photo book.

They still had Halloween stuff out at FULL PRICE to have something on the shelves. Full. Price. Nope. 

There’s cuter stuff at Boxed Lunch right now😒.

• Love 4