Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

No no, I don’t mean “invited” in the formal sense of the term. But if she didn’t tell me directly, it’s a “you’re not welcome” type stance. 

ADOS* families (at least all the ones I have been involved with) have a very specific way of doing funerals. No matter your religion (Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Baptist- doesn’t matter)

Trust- if you’re on bad terms with people you will be barred at the door. Who is/is not welcome is a thing. Where people sit is a thing. Who’s a pallbearer is a thing. Processional order is a thing. My Aunt E was barred from her own brother’s funeral because his wife hated her and his kids couldn’t get her to change her mind- (this was before my time), barred at the DOOR. Not listed in the program. She and my Aunt J could not go inside!!!!!

When my Aunt B died (she was nanny to my sister and I) my Aunt E (that’s the aunt that just passed) did not tell the woman’s husband (they were separated and estranged). She did tell Aunt B’s adult stepchildren who told their father. When the man showed up she made him WALK BEHIND my Cousin L’s friend. Yes she did. It was a STATEMENT and everyone knew exactly what it meant. She said she only told his children (who were adults when the two got married) because they did love my Aunt B and she felt they deserved to be there. 

*American Descendants of Slavery- black families from other places I’m sure have different rituals. 

Thanks for the explanation.  Now I understand why there are sometimes dueling obituaries in the newspaper.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Now I understand why there are sometimes dueling obituaries in the newspaper.  

I always wondered about that! I find that weirdly fascinating... I read both obits side-by-side and try to figure out who hates whom...

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I agree COVID vaccine will be a yearly vaccine. I’m looking forward my booster shot. How sad is that? Sigh.

Yes, I agree with you. I made an appointment for my booster and flu shot today. Nov 2nd. I have 3 days off so that should be plenty of time if I have a reaction. It's not sad you are looking forward to your shot   it means you care about yourself and others. That is a good thing.

• Love 13
On 10/28/2021 at 2:15 PM, iwantcookies said:

Stores are already selling Xmas merchandise! 

Yes. In NC, it’s been out for weeks. I’ve gotten all the additional items that I needed for this year. (I’ll post more later about the new tree I’ll be using this year.  My mom had an extra, since my brother gave her his 9 foot tree!)   Some gifts I purchased, some I ordered.  I’m just about done with my Christmas shopping.  Once again, it’s scaled way down.  Just gifts for the little ones and my parents.  I’ll give gift cards to the older kids who are now adults.  

Today I got my third, full dose of Moderna vaccine.  Drinking lots of water, moving my arm a lot and taking it easy.  I hope things continue as they are now.  Feeling fine, so far.  There was a steady stream of people getting boosters or third dose covid vaccines at Walgreens. I was pleasantly surprised.  

• Love 13

I had no reactions to the first two Moderna shots. I had the third one on Wednesday, and this time I didn't get off so easily. But it wasn't terrible. Aches and a mild chilly feeling. Tylenol helped and today it's all over. 

• Love 11

Last night was pretty rough.  I had aches, chills, sore throat and tossed all night.  I slept most of today and am feeling better.  It wasn’t as severe as it was last time, though.  I also didn’t have a headache this time. 

Just resting and watching horror movies on TCM. 👻

• Love 15

Daughter in law got J&J months ago and got a Moderna booster Thursday. All she had was a sore arm which is very tolerable. My son her husband had two Modernas and got the Pfizer booster a minute ago. Will see how he does. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Daughter in law got J&J months ago and got a Moderna booster Thursday. All she had was a sore arm which is very tolerable. My son her husband had two Modernas and got the Pfizer booster a minute ago. Will see how he does. 

I’m glad my next dose will be a booster and not a full dose.  I had considered a full third dose of Pfizer as well. Oh well, it’s done now so, I’m ok with it.   Some of my friends who got J&J are leaning towards Moderna booster too. I suspect a booster dose of Moderna would have been so much more comfortable.  I’ll be interested to know how your husband does. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m glad my next dose will be a booster and not a full dose.  I had considered a full third dose of Pfizer as well. Oh well, it’s done now so, I’m ok with it.   Some of my friends who got J&J are leaning towards Moderna booster too. I suspect a booster dose of Moderna would have been so much more comfortable.  I’ll be interested to know how your husband does. 

Son reports in after Pfizer booster he had a “rough night” but will hear more later. He didn’t react much to the Moderna two shots but both shingles vaccines knocked him flat for 3 days each. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Son reports in after Pfizer booster he had a “rough night” but will hear more later. He didn’t react much to the Moderna two shots but both shingles vaccines knocked him flat for 3 days each. 

I hope it’s not too bad for him. It seems the first night is the worst.  I can’t believe how much I have slept.  I’m going to try to stay up more today.  

You know, I think it’s so individualized.  People react so differently.  My mom is 80 and had zero side effects, except a sore arm from either Pfizer shots.  My dad, had zero effects from Moderna 1 and 2.  His third dose made him a little tired.  

I had no side effects from either shingles vaccine. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope it’s not too bad for him. It seems the first night is the worst.  I can’t believe how much I have slept.  I’m going to try to stay up more today.  

You know, I think it’s so individualized.  People react so differently.  My mom is 80 and had zero side effects, except a sore arm from either Pfizer shots.  My dad, had zero effects from Moderna 1 and 2.  His third dose made him a little tired.  

I had no side effects from either shingles vaccine. 

I agree that it is individualized. Daughter in law had no reaction to the shingles shot. 

• Love 4

I got my Pfizer booster/3rd dose a couple of weeks ago and didn't even have a sore arm. I don't remember a rough night or anything afterwards. Of course,  rough nights and aches and pains are part of life for me these days anyway! Most nights I sleep well, but some are just not that great.

I don't think I've mentioned it here before, but I have osteoporosis in my spine and my endocrinologist sent me for an interesting short term PT (4-8 sessions, called the Meeks method) and it does seem to be helping with strengthening my spine. I really like my therapist. I think my sister is going to see her too, after I told her all about it. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I got my Pfizer booster/3rd dose a couple of weeks ago and didn't even have a sore arm. I don't remember a rough night or anything afterwards. Of course,  rough nights and aches and pains are part of life for me these days anyway! Most nights I sleep well, but some are just not that great.

I don't think I've mentioned it here before, but I have osteoporosis in my spine and my endocrinologist sent me for an interesting short term PT (4-8 sessions, called the Meeks method) and it does seem to be helping with strengthening my spine. I really like my therapist. I think my sister is going to see her too, after I told her all about it. 

My mom has osteoporosis.   I’ll tell her about your therapy.  

• Love 5

I had my Moderna booster yesterday.  I did OK until I rolled over on my left arm in the middle of the night and the pain woke me up.  My arm is definitely sore today (but the pharmacist seems to put the shot a little higher than normal, she did that with my flu shot as well).  When I woke up I felt a little queasy and just off a little, but now I feel fine.  It was worth it to have the peace of mind.  

• Love 10

We live basically in the country. No sidewalks, no streetlights... plus a 400 foot gravel driveway. For the first few years we lived here I turned the lights on, had more candy than what should have been legal, and sat with my nose pressed to the door waiting... just waiting. Then I realized we have... no sidewalks, no streetlights... plus a 400 foot gravel driveway. Apparently it takes me a while to catch on.

Edited by Westiepeach
  • LOL 19
  • Love 1

No kids in most of the buildings around here. The kids across the street in their gates houses are pretty much all high school aged, so will not be out, at least in this 'hood. It's also a pretty busy two lane street, so parents generally take their littles to quieter places with more kids. 

• Love 5

Trick or treat was last night in our new town. We had no idea how many to prepare for. The answer is 3, but they came back twice. They thought if they took their masks off the second round I wouldn’t notice. I did, but didn’t care. We still have plenty of candy.

Oh, and one boy told me our house was bitchin’. I didn’t know that word was still in use. 😂🤣😂

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

There’s only one group of kids (about a dozen kids from several families) in my parents’ little neighborhood. They all came over together, politely explained that it was rumored that bad things happened at this house*, bravely accepted the candy in spite of my parents’ apparent poor reputation, and wished all a nice evening.

*They do not. Apparently a few years ago a boy pressed his nose to my parents’ living room window on a dare and my dad told him that that was a dangerous habit to get into and he ought to knock it off. 

• LOL 14
6 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

We live basically in the country. No sidewalks, no streetlights... plus a 400 foot gravel driveway. For the first few years we lived here I turned the lights on, had more candy than what should have been legal, and sat with my nose pressed to the door waiting... just waiting. Then I realized we have... no sidewalks, no streetlights... plus a 400 foot gravel driveway. Apparently it takes me a while to catch on.

About the same here. This has been the same with every house we've had in Connecticut, and while this time around our driveway is only about 100 feet, and there is a streetlight a little way down the road, we have not seen a trick or treater in the almost 9 years we've been here, and have pretty much stopped even noticing that it's Halloween.

My granddaughter did have the cutest costume this year, though, for the couple of activities they did over the past few days. I wish I could post a picture of her, but I guess it really is kind of ill-advised, so I won't. She was a paramedic, though. The costume itself was bought, but my daughter made an awesome ambulance out of a cardboard box that she could wear over her shoulders to "drive". She looks absolutely adorable, though.

Speaking of which, my daughter just texted that she has been having some contractions this evening, so I should be poised to head over there to babysit Remy if they decide to turn into something. I suppose I should try to get some sleep in the meantime, but now I probably won't be able to!

• Love 17

I opened the door for the trick or treaters. I put on a facemask to open the door. I was so happy. My roommates and I carved a pumpkin and it was cute. 

I love children, but I may never have any of my own since I'm getting older and have no love life. I'm not really in a position to date. I'm still hoping things will work out.

Mama Temperance got her flu shot since I encouraged her to. I don't want her to get sick. She had some arm pain this year.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 10

I live in a Halloween neighborhood.  My neighbors go all out decorating and people from outside the neighborhood are welcome to trick or treat here.  We gave out 100 bags of candy in the first hour, and had to shut off our light at 7:45 instead of the normal 8 or 8:15 because we ran out of candy.  It was a good night.

I long to be the house that gives out full size candy bars, but my librarian prohibits that.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I long to be the house that gives out full size candy bars, but my librarian prohibits that.

Yeah, it would be great but this neighborhood and our former neighborhood are full of kids having so much fun there is just no way we could do that. Not as many people decorate here and I don't know if it's an HOA thing (they'll ding you for decorations too early) or just a low interest thing. We did a lot with our old house but we cut back significantly here. We still had decorations and Mr. Toast could not resist using the fog machine but it was definitely less.

• Love 5

Today is a hard day. As much as I loved Halloween and celebrating it with my friends & godbaby (she is 6), I am very sad. 

I will never be able to show my Aunt E a Halloween costume again. I will never send her another card or buy her another gift. I will never make her another cup of coffee. I feel selfish, I know I had her a long long time and at 36years old I should not be surprised to lose my former caregivers, but damn it hurts. 

I don't even have anger towards her daughter (at least today), I pity her and I want her to stay far away from me, but I do not have the energy to be angry any more.

All of the love I cannot give to my godmother or my great aunt I can give to Cosmo, and that is a gift. 

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Today is a hard day. As much as I loved Halloween and celebrating it with my friends & godbaby (she is 6), I am very sad. 

I will never be able to show my Aunt E a Halloween costume again. I will never send her another card or buy her another gift. I will never make her another cup of coffee. I feel selfish, I know I had her a long long time and at 36years old I should not be surprised to lose my former caregivers, but damn it hurts. 

I don't even have anger towards her daughter (at least today), I pity her and I want her to stay far away from me, but I do not have the energy to be angry any more.

All of the love I cannot give to my godmother or my great aunt I can give to Cosmo, and that is a gift. 

Hugs.  The first year after losing someone is always the hardest.  

• Love 10

For the past 3 years I’ve been working 6 days a week. I had enough! Now I’m 5 days, with Saturday and Monday off. Previously Saturday was my only day off. At least I’ll be able to make appointments for myself now. 😁

In my notice of mail to be received today, my social security statement will be here. I wish I could file, not quite yet though.

• Love 18

I went this morning to get the booster vaccine for Covid. Well, I thought I was getting the booster the person who was giving the shot said the full dose Moderna was best because of a medication I take,  which is fine. Thats what I wanted in the first place  but was unable to request it when I made the appointment.  I also had a flu vaccine so I am planning on feeling bad about 5 this afternoon. Now I can go to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving. 

• Love 16

My boss went to a funeral last weekend and spent several hours visiting with a friend who tested positive for COVID. Per our COVID safety guidelines, because she's vaccinated she only has to wear a mask and keep 6 feet away from people. 

I have COPD and an autoimmune disease, if I get COVID from her I'm going to be really pissed.

32 minutes ago, Nysha said:

My boss went to a funeral last weekend and spent several hours visiting with a friend who tested positive for COVID. Per our COVID safety guidelines, because she's vaccinated she only has to wear a mask and keep 6 feet away from people. 

I have COPD and an autoimmune disease, if I get COVID from her I'm going to be really pissed.

At least she admitted to spending time with that friend. That’s more than many would do 😥

• Love 6