Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Oh, my God, is this real?! Because if so, I am totally here for the Sharon and Phyllis drama.

Green bean casserole is a dump and mix dish. How on Earth do you screw it up? And frozen green beans are shit. They always taste chewy and waxy. I'd argue canned is the better option if you can't do fresh.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Oh, my God, is this real?! Because if so, I am totally here for the Sharon and Phyllis drama.

Green bean casserole is a dump and mix dish. How on Earth do you screw it up? And frozen green beans are shit. They always taste chewy and waxy. I'd argue canned is the better option if you can't do fresh.

The Sharon who tried to blame Marie Callendars for her nuking one of Marie's ready-made frozen pies was an internet sensation last week.  Many many funny comments and memes abounded.  Someone saw Phyllis's post and that also went around.  I saw this on Twitter a few days ago and now want to meet the sweet and sassy Phyllis.  These are apparently two different Sharons who coincidentally both terrible cooks and unable to take any responsibility for their mistakes.  I can see how Phyllis got them both mixed up.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The Sharon who tried to blame Marie Callendars for her nuking one of Marie's ready-made frozen pies was an internet sensation last week.  Many many funny comments and memes abounded.  Someone saw Phyllis's post and that also went around.  I saw this on Twitter a few days ago and now want to meet the sweet and sassy Phyllis.  These are apparently two different Sharons who coincidentally both terrible cooks and unable to take any responsibility for their mistakes.  I can see how Phyllis got them both mixed up.

Lulz! Thanks! I've been so busy with holiday prep I haven't been keeping up with the Interwebz. I'm going to have to dive deeper into this feud. As an avid home cook, my sensibilities are offended. 🤪

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

The beans should have been cooked first. Even with fresh beans, you blanche them about 3 minutes before combining the ingredients. 

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Thank you so much for the Phyllis screenshots! We were still laughing our asses off about Sharon's pie at the library today. 

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Thank you so much for the Phyllis screenshots! We were still laughing our asses off about Sharon's pie at the library today. 

I saw this on Twitter yesterday..these were some of my favorite comments.

rps20211207_215014.jpg

rps20211207_215047.jpg

rps20211208_000637.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1

@CalicoKitty, I'm sending you good thoughts. It's good that your mom is having hospice care, which should help her and you as well. I hope your brother's treatments are successful.

Okay, peeps. It finally happened. I don't remember ever dreaming about the Duggars - until last night. I spent some time yesterday evening catching up on the posts here, mostly of course about the trial. And - unusually for me, my dreams tend to be vague and disorganized - I had a vivid dream about being at Josh's trial. It was a bit mixed up with the investigation of an airplane crash, lol. But in my dream Josh was in jail and had to be brought to the trial in the jail bus, lol. 

Anyway, it was probably a result of too much TV and internet, and indulgence in a late dessert. Whatever, it was kinda bizarre, to say the least. I'm happy to be awake, thank you, and not in the presence of any Duggars. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

I had a Duggar dream one time but don't remember it.  Since I've started the Zoloft my dreams are really vivid - but I don't remember them ten minutes after waking up.  I should immediately write them down I guess.

I'm sorry to read about your mother CalicoKitty.  I'll have good thoughts for her and your brother.   

• Love 5

Ugh.  There's a set of 3 high schools 1 town over from me (3 schools on 1 campus, around 6,000 kids) on lockdown for 4 hours and counting.  It's called the Plymouth-Canton schools.  1 of the kids is my boss's daughter, and is a little friend of mine.  🙂 

1 kid allegedly saw another kid with a weapon.  They're currently methodically searching the schools.  My boss's daughter's classroom has been searched and cleared, but they're not allowed to leave.

We're roughly 50 miles from Oxford, where the school shooting happened last week (4 dead, 7 injured).

What a world...

*Just got word that she's on her way home.  I didn't even realized that I was kind of holding my breath until I let out a big exhale upon receiving word just now.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Ugh.  There's a set of 3 high schools 1 town over from me (3 schools on 1 campus, around 6,000 kids) on lockdown for 4 hours and counting.  It's called the Plymouth-Canton schools.  1 of the kids is my boss's daughter, and is a little friend of mine.  🙂 

1 kid allegedly saw another kid with a weapon.  They're currently methodically searching the schools.  My boss's daughter's classroom has been searched and cleared, but they're not allowed to leave.

We're roughly 50 miles from Oxford, where the school shooting happened last week (4 dead, 7 injured).

What a world...

*Just got word that she's on her way home.  I didn't even realized that I was kind of holding my breath until I let out a big exhale upon receiving word just now.

glad she is able to go home. our district sent out messages today regarding unnamed threats they had gotten wind of. it never stops. i am thankful that i dont have to deal with schools on the daily any more. even more grateful that i dot work in that environment any longer. i dont think i could have continued after the the first school shootings happened. 

• Love 7

Grief is sneaky, isn't it? Today I turned on the local TV news as soon as I got up (I don't always), TBH to see if there would be a fleeting reference to Josh Duggar's conviction. The station I usually watch has a 90-second segment where they go through a quick list of "headlines" that aren't going to be more indepth bits on the news hour. 

But, there's no room for tidbits about former reality TV stars on our news today. A lot of bandwidth is covering a sad story. Former Broncos player Demaryius Thomas, esteemed not only for his athletic achievements but his good character, has died at the age of 33(!). I never met the man and I don't tend to lionize professional athletes, but dang he had such a sweet smile. And he did so well in life coming from what would be called an unpromising background. Peyton Manning tweeted “D.T. was a better person than he was a player, and he was a Hall of Fame player. That tells you how good of a person he was."

So anyway, I'm digesting this news this morning. And the person I would love to pick up the phone and talk to about it - is my friend who died last March. We had our Broncos fandom in common. One year we even had season tickets (bought from friends of hers who couldn't use them that year). In recent years we often called each other as we were at home watching the games on TV. 

Yep. Grief sneaks up. Sometimes it's not devastating, but firmly and quietly woven into the fabric of everyday life. I'm a little sad, but OTOH I'm holding on to an image of my friend with a twinkle in her eye, holding out her hand to DT as they journey onwards. She always appreciated a good looking guy with a sweet smile, so there's that.

• Love 8

We had a grief group session our in office day at work this week. On my team we have had so many losses in 2021- a parent, a sibling, my godmother & Aunt E, my co-worker lost her brother unexpectedly and he was only 34. It was helpful, I am glad we did it. 

In more pleasant news, I weighed in today, and I am proud that I did not gain ANY WEIGHT on both of my trips! I was comfortable with gaining a few pounds between all of the sodium (restaurant foods) and sweets (I did eat some delicious Christmas treats), but I weighed in a tenth of a pound less than when I started traveling. I do feel like I "wasted" food which I hate to do, example I would eat a 1/3 of a cookie or donut and then pitch the rest (things we both liked I did share with people, but a lot got thrown out). But it's better to be wasted in the trash than extra calories in my body. 

I haven't been losing very fast but I hate exercise and I have a desk job- lets see how I feel another 20lbs down. But I should buy a new suit in January, I had a presentation and I was so happy it was on Zoom because my clothes were big. Not quite sloppy looking, but another inch and I wouldn't have worn that to work because it would've been too loose. 

• Love 21

I lost two of my oldest and dearest friends this year. One at 85 ... we met at my first job, sellling popcorn at a movie theater, so about 70 years of friendship. The other at 89, I met before my first child was born. Our children grew up together. It is a big gap that cannot be filled. I am lucky to have other friends, but I had those old friends for so long it just seems wrong for them to have slipped away.  I have a couple of friends from high school still, and a cousin close to my age ... I think I better call them this week!

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Porkchop said:

I lost two of my oldest and dearest friends this year. One at 85 ... we met at my first job, sellling popcorn at a movie theater, so about 70 years of friendship. The other at 89, I met before my first child was born. Our children grew up together. It is a big gap that cannot be filled. I am lucky to have other friends, but I had those old friends for so long it just seems wrong for them to have slipped away.  I have a couple of friends from high school still, and a cousin close to my age ... I think I better call them this week!

Losing friends is always the worse. I am so sorry. 

• Love 5

Way to go on the slow and steady weight loss, @Scarlett45. The grief group session sounds very helpful.

@Porkchop, I'm sorry for the loss of your old friends.

It's been a tough year for losses. I don't how many of you are on FB, but isn't it poignant when memories of deceased old friends/relatives pop up? I look at the date and can't believe how long or short of a time it's been and how I can't believe they are gone 😣

I've been baking for a cookie exchange this Sunday. My cookies are plain looking compared to some of my friend's cookies. BUT they are tasty. I'll be lucky if I still have my 2 dozen to bring, the way my husband has been eyeing them! I got tired and needed to free up the oven for dinner, so I'll have to make the next batch tomorrow. 

In other news...I have a stupid cold sore! I haven't had one in years. Thank goodness for masks. I can go out in public and no one even knows I'm hideous behind my mask! 🤣

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 10

I hope no one was affected by the tornados last night. I just read that they hit hard in Kentucky and Arkansas. I’m in Ohio about an hour from the Kentucky border but all we got is some rain here. Although our power is out right now.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I hope no one was affected by the tornados last night. I just read that they hit hard in Kentucky and Arkansas. I’m in Ohio about an hour from the Kentucky border but all we got is some rain here. Although our power is out right now.

I'm sorry you lost power but I'm glad the tornadoes missed you. I've been watching news updates. That was one helluva tornado outbreak. I looked at some video of the damage to Mayfield KY - it's almost indescribable. I hope all our Small Talkers are okay!

• Love 7

This morning I am sad. I was arranging drop off of Christmas presents for my friend/her kids and I thought about how I dont have a gift to wrap for my Aunt E or my godmother this year. And I dont have a gift to wrap for my cousin because our relationship has totally fallen a part.

For the record I dont wish she was still in my life, things had become so toxic and it is so much more peaceful without her, but we were so close for a long time and had so many wonderful memories together. 

It is just hard and it hurts. I remember the first Christmas after my Aunt B** got sick (she was our nanny and Aunt E's elder sister)- I was stressed because there was no one to help me wrap the presents. She ended up passing away the next June, and the first Christmas after she died I had a crying fit over the wrapping paper because I felt so alone. 

**She was a wrapper at Marshall Fields for many years, and taught me all the tricks of the trade when I was a small child. Her presents were wrapped like works of art.

• Love 2

I need help. I’m crushed. Last night my neighbor (Mr Chemo) told me that I need to up my wardrobe game. That I look like a homeless person or someone’s poor relative. Although I do like to dress casually, I do try to put effort in and buy outfits that are coordinated. Not cheap stuff either. I’m very hard to dress as I’m 4’9” and only weight 88 lbs. I’m also older…too old to wear children's clothes. So friends, where do I find a personal stylist?

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This morning I am sad. I was arranging drop off of Christmas presents for my friend/her kids and I thought about how I dont have a gift to wrap for my Aunt E or my godmother this year. And I dont have a gift to wrap for my cousin because our relationship has totally fallen a part.

For the record I dont wish she was still in my life, things had become so toxic and it is so much more peaceful without her, but we were so close for a long time and had so many wonderful memories together. 

It is just hard and it hurts. I remember the first Christmas after my Aunt B** got sick (she was our nanny and Aunt E's elder sister)- I was stressed because there was no one to help me wrap the presents. She ended up passing away the next June, and the first Christmas after she died I had a crying fit over the wrapping paper because I felt so alone. 

**She was a wrapper at Marshall Fields for many years, and taught me all the tricks of the trade when I was a small child. Her presents were wrapped like works of art.

I'm sorry you're feeling sad and missing Aunt E & your godmother. It is hard.

Grief about my sister hit me hard today. I canceled out on the cookie exchange. I really don't feel like being sociable. More like curling up with some corny Christmas movies & having a good cry. My friends are nice & kind, but some days I just want to be alone. 

• Love 14
40 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I need help. I’m crushed. Last night my neighbor (Mr Chemo) told me that I need to up my wardrobe game. That I look like a homeless person or someone’s poor relative. Although I do like to dress casually, I do try to put effort in and buy outfits that are coordinated. Not cheap stuff either. I’m very hard to dress as I’m 4’9” and only weight 88 lbs. I’m also older…too old to wear children's clothes. So friends, where do I find a personal stylist?

Fuck him. 

35 minutes ago, Zella said:

With all due respect, instead of changing your wardrobe, I think you just need to tell this manipulative control freak to fuck off. What he's doing is called negging.

Yes! 

• Love 24
53 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Please stop being friends with him. He doesn’t deserve you! He isn’t nice at all. 

• Love 16

Aside from the rudeness, and that fact that we already knew this man was a piece of work, and the fact that no one's style is anyone's business but her own... we're at a strange moment, fashion-wise, where it's almost impossible to say that ANY outfit is the wrong outfit.

The fashion industry was disrupted by the pandemic just like every other business. Clothes didn't get made when Covid tore through factories. Clothes didn't get to stores because they were stuck on ships. People didn't buy the clothes that were in stores because they didn't know when they'd be back at the office, or what the office dress code would be when they got there, or what size they'd be wearing if they gained some Covid weight.

I think this would be a very difficult moment to do a wardrobe overhaul if a person wanted/needed to, because supply is sketchy and trends are all over the place. Someone in the market for a new wardrobe right now would be limited to "what happens to be in the store in my size?" far more than usual.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
23 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Grief about my sister hit me hard today. I canceled out on the cookie exchange. I really don't feel like being sociable. More like curling up with some corny Christmas movies & having a good cry. My friends are nice & kind, but some days I just want to be alone. 

I think curling up with a movie or two with some hot chocolate or wine is sometimes the best therapy.  Being kind to ourselves is a good thing. 

And now that I'm thinking of it...

Fuck that asshole Mindthinkr.  You are wonderful as you are.  I'm the original tie dye/concert/plain t-shirt and jeans girl.  I love being barefoot and wearing hippie beaded jewelry.  I'm fucking fabulous, love me as I am.  No expensive pair of Manhole Blank (whatever) shoes is going to make my soul glitter more.  You need turn your back on this jerk and never talk to him again.

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 20
10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Why would you give a second thought what this *** thought about anything???  He’s an abuser and a user!! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

My mom is back in the hospital and I am visiting her and on one of the TV channels is pickleball. Shoot me now.

28 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

My great-nephew was born this morning at 11:15 a.m. EST.  My 2nd COVID-era great-nephew.  LOL

My niece had been on standby for a couple of days to get induced.   The hospital was wall-to-wall with babies being born.  I wonder if there really has been a baby uptick courtesy of COVID/isolating at home?

Congratulations. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

My great-nephew was born this morning at 11:15 a.m. EST.  My 2nd COVID-era great-nephew.  LOL

My niece had been on standby for a couple of days to get induced.   The hospital was wall-to-wall with babies being born.  I wonder if there really has been a baby uptick courtesy of COVID/isolating at home?

Congratulations. Yesterday I became a great great Aunt, so there is something going on. 💝

• Love 17
55 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Probably, but choosing to get pregnant during an ongoing deadly global pandemic seems like an odd decision to me. 

So far the birth rate seems to have declined during the pandemic:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/unapparent/202112/what-happened-the-pandemic-baby-boom

However— and here’s some good news for Sunday— Covid did indirectly cause an elephant baby boom!

https://nypost.com/2021/11/19/africa-sees-elephant-baby-boom-thanks-to-pandemic/

Edited by Panopticon
I meant what i typed, autocorrect!
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Congratulations, @CouchTater! As Melanie Wilkes said (in GWTW) "The happiest days are when babies come." That is wonderful good news!

Hope your Dad is having a great birthday weekend, @Turquoise!

My good news is that I think I'm all done with Christmas shopping! We're still awaiting the arrival of some gifts, but everything has been ordered. That's good because next weekend we are taking our kids out to celebrate our 2 December birthdays. After that it's kind of non-stop holiday celebrating, including our anniversary. We are apparently very December oriented when it comes to family events!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Probably, but choosing to get pregnant during an ongoing deadly global pandemic seems like an odd decision to me. 

Where I live there’s a huge baby boom. We work with infants and every place that serves them is booked solid for weeks/months. Pediatricians, daycares, midwives, etc. I’m routinely booked several weeks out with no space in my schedule, for over a year now. It’s an exhausting pace to keep up. We’re even getting families on their second Covid baby at this point!  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, awaken said:

Where I live there’s a huge baby boom. We work with infants and every place that serves them is booked solid for weeks/months. Pediatricians, daycares, midwives, etc. I’m routinely booked several weeks out with no space in my schedule, for over a year now. It’s an exhausting pace to keep up. We’re even getting families on their second Covid baby at this point!  

Go figure. 

21 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I remember I was 6 my brother was2 and our other brother was just born.  Mom was doing something for our new brother and me and my brother decided to we had a white Persian Cat and dye her purple with Kool-aid. 

• LOL 5