Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I saw a video of terrified parents gathering up their children at a Chuck E. Cheese as they saw the fire approaching. The winds were so powerful they couldn't get the doors open at first. I can't imagine how terrifying that would be. One Dad said something like "I don't know if we'll be any safer in the car!"  It has to be so hard to do the right thing for your family when facing a fast moving unprecedented situation like that!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

So am I, and I'm glad you were able to get the cats into their carriers. And that you have a place to stay while evacuated.

I live across the metro area from the fires but even so this is too close to home!

The hurricane force winds (100+ mph!!) that swept through were dangerous enough but then downed power lines sparked fires that the winds fed and spread. Those winds blew at least one semi over, blocking a highway, and also blew the roof off a tire shop in Arvada. On a regular day those would be more than passing news stories, but not yesterday. 

I don't know the technical meaning of the word "firestorm" but that's what it looked like to me as I watched the news coverage for several hours yesterday afternoon and evening. A firestorm blowing through fully developed suburban residential neighborhoods. 6200 acres burned is one thing out in the wilderness, but a sh*t ton of damage in a developed area.

It hurts my heart to imagine what we are going to see in another hour or so after sunrise when the helicopters and drones go up for a look at the area. Where, BTW, a few fires are still burning although the crazy wind speeds are long over so there's that.

Since you live across the metro then you might live near my mom. She lives Lol near the Englewood Prison. I have been kidding her if Smuggar does go to that Prison I am going to make her sell her house because she  would be driving up and down the street saying Smuggar enjoying your vacation in Colorado? 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Since you live across the metro then you might live near my mom. She lives Lol near the Englewood Prison. I have been kidding her if Smuggar does go to that Prison I am going to make her sell her house because she  would be driving up and down the street saying Smuggar enjoying your vacation in Colorado? 

MommyRabbittron speaking I just was talking to my daughter and I told her that I am very mad at her for her not letting me have any fun with driving up and down the street and asking Smuggar if he's having a great vacation in Colorado? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Now this I don’t get. 

At Jed! and Katey’s outdoor live-streamed wedding last spring, there were cows in the background. They were by far the most interesting part of the wedding.

• LOL 12

Happy New Year to everyone! I hope it is safe, prosperous and healthy for you all.  And I just couldn’t close it it out without reliving my favorite Duggar/Duggar adjacent moments of 2021, so here goes. 
1. Jim Bob’s judicial bitch slap heard ‘round the world.
2. Watching Jeremy age in dog years.

3. Whomever named Jessa’a couch Big Birtha! 
4. The Jilly Vanillis cd drop that went nowhere.    
5. All the Bert and Ernie references for Jed and Jer.

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • LOL 6
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I wanted to wish everyone a safe and Happy New Year. 2021 has been a year of hardships and sorrow for many of us- losing parents, siblings, aunts, god parents, much loved pets etc. I am thankful for the kind words and friendship that can always be found in this "Prayer Closet".

May 2022 bring us everything we need, and a few of the things we want.

Very well-said benediction. I thank you for it and echo it.

1 hour ago, Panopticon said:

Best wishes to all the Duggar snarkers for 2022. May you always be as happy as Jeremy Vuolo when he gets a cheeseburger and a new pocket square. May you never be as SEVERELY tested as Jill Rod is when she sees a single mother out in public. And may any wedding you attend include a sufficient number of cows. 

And yes, this too, in a different way. 🤣

• Love 8

Friends and I drove to Reno for dinner tonight, but we went early to avoid traffic.  It was a thrill to get out after being inside for so many days because of snow. (LOTS of snow) I will probably stay up until midnight, but not much later.  Happy New Year to all my friends here, and I look forward to many more "interesting" conversations in the coming year.  Everyone take care and stay safe.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Panopticon said:

At Jed! and Katey’s outdoor live-streamed wedding last spring, there were cows in the background. They were by far the most interesting part of the wedding.

Oh!!! I see. Thank you!

• Love 2

I was in bed at 8:30 last night, so I'm late to the (NYE) party. But I would like to wish each & every Small Talker a healthy and prosperous New Year!

2021 was not exactly the best year ever, but despite the losses of family members (including pets) and other events, both happy and sad, we all hung together and supported one another. I have no doubt that the love and support will continue in 2022! 🥰

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Happy New Year everyone. 

I would like to introduce you all to the newest members of my family.

Lady Reese (the tortie)

Cavendish (grey)

They are both 7 (not litter mates but a few months a part) front paw declaw; they have always been together but have had several homes. 

They had been in the shelter almost a year. I could NOT leave them.

Cavendish is named for Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, but he’s a boy so “Cavendish”. He’s 16.2 pounds (about 7 kilos)- so he’s going to be living in a calorie deficit for a little while. 🤣 Lady Reese was originally just “Reese” but she’s such a dainty lady she needed a title.

I went in expecting to get 2-4yrs old black cats again, but life had other plans. 

Cavendish is cautious of Cosmo. Lady Reese isn’t phased. 

Cosmo is like “oh it’s a cat.” (He has lived with cats off and on since he was a puppy).

81543F7E-359D-4698-A288-76A3AC30994B.jpeg

9804CF80-90D7-47FE-B312-DAD5B90C0476.jpeg

That is such happy news to start off 2022 right.  What beautiful babies they are.  😊

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 6

Oh @Scarlett45, congratulations on the new dynamic duo in your family! Thanks for sharing the photos. Lady Reese def has class, and Cavendish seems to be calmly reading the room. How wonderful that you've brought them home. ❤️ ❤️

• Love 7

It looks like I welcomed the new year with the omicron variant. I can’t get a test until tomorrow, but I have every symptom. My mom, sister, her kids and their families are all sick, as are my cousins in Texas.  Fortunately I’m vaxxed and boosted, so it’s uncomfortable but manageable. Ughhhh!

5 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

It looks like I welcomed the new year with the omicron variant. I can’t get a test until tomorrow, but I have every symptom. My mom, sister, her kids and their families are all sick, as are my cousins in Texas.  Fortunately I’m vaxxed and boosted, so it’s uncomfortable but manageable. Ughhhh!

Oh, that sucks! If you do have it, may it be as mild as possible.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, that sucks! If you do have it, may it be as mild as possible.

Thanks. So far the sore throat, headache and upset stomach have been the worst. That feeling you might be getting the flu but never get that sick. Thank God for vaccines or this could have been much worse. I managed to make a pot of soup yesterday and that helped.  Netflix and Hulu have been getting me through.  

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Thanks. So far the sore throat, headache and upset stomach have been the worst. That feeling you might be getting the flu but never get that sick. Thank God for vaccines or this could have been much worse. I managed to make a pot of soup yesterday and that helped.  Netflix and Hulu have been getting me through.  

So sorry you are sick! I am glad your symptoms aren’t too bad but I’m the worlds biggest baby so any sickness gets a thumb down from me. 

Feel better really soon. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Happy New Year everyone. 

Congratulations, Scarlett45. They don’t know it yet, but those kitties just won the lottery.

Hope you feel better soon, @Ijustwantsomechips. That’s a hard way to start the new year. 

And lastly, the very happiest of New Year wishes to all of my Prayer Closet friends. 

• Love 9

Regé Jean- Paige will always be “Chicken George” to me. I do not deny the man can act (the things he can do with his face is amazing), and he is handsome, but lusting after him feels incestous.

When I see him I want to say “hi cousin”🤣. I will miss him though on Season 2 of Bridgerton. We will have a great time in that forum @iwantcookies.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Happy new year to everyone! 

I intentionally burrowed in yesterday. After an unseasonably warm and dry stretch of weather here we finally had actual winter snow and very cold temps that moved in late Friday. I planned accordingly; ran errands and got groceries starting Friday morning and didn't set foot outside my condo all day yesterday. 

I've cleared out a lot of the camping gear that I've acquired since getting my "metal tent" aka my old minivan. Got a storage unit nearby to put it in. That stuff has been sprawling all over my condo. There's not enough space in here to put all of it. Also I plan to get a rooftop cargo box for the minivan before my next trip. The cargo box will need to be stored while I'm in town. Can't use the condo parking garage with the box on top of the car. 

Friday I took a few loads of stuff to the storage unit. Including the captain's chairs that are the second row seats in the minivan, folding cot, folding mattress and some pads, tent, etc. It takes up a surprising amount of space in the unit. I feel like I have room to breathe - and clean - here at home now.

I've resisted getting a storage unit. I said that I won't own more stuff than I can fit into my condo and the small-ish storage closet I have in the storage room on this floor of our building. That's still my goal. But for now I'm okay with the storage unit. I've made a rule: the unit is only for camping/travel/car related things and for boxes of stuff that are in my possession because I'm the executor of my late friend's estate. No "overflow" of my regular stuff. 

• Love 15
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Regé Jean- Paige will always be “Chicken George” to me. I do not deny the man can act (the things he can do with his face is amazing), and he is handsome, but lusting after him feels incestous.

When I see him I want to say “hi cousin”🤣. I will miss him though on Season 2 of Bridgerton. We will have a great time in that forum @iwantcookies.

I must get in on the Bridgerton forum. It won’t be the same without Simon though.  I guess I have the advantage of not watching Underground.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Your new kitties are so cute. Hope Cosmo and his new buds get along!

• Love 2
On 1/1/2022 at 11:39 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Happy New Year everyone. 

Lady Reese (the tortie)

Cavendish (grey)

They are both 7 (not litter mates but a few months a part) front paw declaw; they have always been together but have had several homes. 

They had been in the shelter almost a year. I could NOT leave them.

Cavendish is named for Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, but he’s a boy so “Cavendish”. He’s 16.2 pounds (about 7 kilos)- so he’s going to be living in a calorie deficit for a little while. 🤣 Lady Reese was originally just “Reese” but she’s such a dainty lady she needed a title.

I went in expecting to get 2-4yrs old black cats again, but life had other plans. 

Cavendish is cautious of Cosmo. Lady Reese isn’t phased. 

Cosmo is like “oh it’s a cat.” (He has lived with cats off and on since he was a puppy).

Edited to add: Life truly is a circle- we got them at the same place we adopted Scarlett (July 2014) and Mr Norris (June 2020)- the cats in my profile picture, 18years ago.

81543F7E-359D-4698-A288-76A3AC30994B.jpeg

9804CF80-90D7-47FE-B312-DAD5B90C0476.jpeg

What shelter did you adopt from?  My mom recently lost one of her dogs and she is looking for 2 or 3 older adult or senior cats. We have looked at foothills boulder longmont various cat rescues in the metro area and none picked her yet. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

This cheered me up. 

C3707DB5-81F0-4E54-80B7-2482CE314BFA.jpeg

I cannot see guinea pigs dressed up and not think of my trips to Peru for medical missions.  They're called cuyes (koo' eee) and many people keep a pen of them behind their houses.  Why?  Because they are considered great delicacies and are served for holidays and special occasions.  There are also multiple Quechua festivals where dressing up the ol' guinea pig and parading around with the cuyo in costume is part of the fun.

There is a cathedral in Cusco, city nearest Macchu Picchu in the Andes.  In it, there is a painting of Christ and the apostles at the last supper, painted by a local artist.  There on the table right in front of our Lord, is the main course: cuyes.  They don't look too thrilled at the thought of eating it though.  It is one of my favorite paintings ever.

Cuyo is served in fine restaurants, deep fried and served on a bed of lettuce with a cherry tomato in its mouth.  Tastes like chicken sort of, a lot of little bones in it.  A lot of work for not much meat, IMO.

Cusco cathedral.jpg

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I cannot see guinea pigs dressed up and not think of my trips to Peru for medical missions.  They're called cuyes (koo' eee) and many people keep a pen of them behind their houses.  Why?  Because they are considered great delicacies and are served for holidays and special occasions.  There are also multiple Quechua festivals where dressing up the ol' guinea pig and parading around with the cuyo in costume is part of the fun.

There is a cathedral in Cusco, city nearest Macchu Picchu in the Andes.  In it, there is a painting of Christ and the apostles at the last supper, painted by a local artist.  There on the table right in front of our Lord, is the main course: cuyes.  They don't look too thrilled at the thought of eating it though.  It is one of my favorite paintings ever.

Cuyo is served in fine restaurants, deep fried and served on a bed of lettuce with a cherry tomato in its mouth.  Tastes like chicken sort of, a lot of little bones in it.  A lot of work for not much meat, IMO.

Cusco cathedral.jpg

Sort of like squirrel, the spelling looks wrong to me but Google says it is correct. 

• Love 2

Congratulations @Scarlett45!!  They are precious and very lucky to have you as their fur-mom.  

Mr. Six & I also did a shelter thing over the holiday.  After losing our Maine C*** this April, we finally decided we were ready to adopt again.  We went to the same shelter that we adopted from (4 cats since 2004), and we fell in love with one little guy.  There was another lil dude in the same room, and his energy level was insane.  Even though he never came up to either of us, we took a chance.  They have been with us nearly a week now, and we are already in love.  Ben (all black) is 4 months old, and Joey is 3 months.  We're keeping the kittens together in the finished basement, and the adults have the upper floors.  We're cautious, but very hopeful that we call all live comfortably as a family of 6.  

Kittens-12292021.jpg

• Love 24
3 hours ago, sixlets said:

Congratulations @Scarlett45!!  They are precious and very lucky to have you as their fur-mom.  

Mr. Six & I also did a shelter thing over the holiday.  After losing our Maine C*** this April, we finally decided we were ready to adopt again.  We went to the same shelter that we adopted from (4 cats since 2004), and we fell in love with one little guy.  There was another lil dude in the same room, and his energy level was insane.  Even though he never came up to either of us, we took a chance.  They have been with us nearly a week now, and we are already in love.  Ben (all black) is 4 months old, and Joey is 3 months.  We're keeping the kittens together in the finished basement, and the adults have the upper floors.  We're cautious, but very hopeful that we call all live comfortably as a family of 6.  

Kittens-12292021.jpg

@SIXLETS, such happy news.  I love that shelter cats are getting homes and that those of you who have them will be happy too. Such beautiful babies!

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, sixlets said:

Kittens-12292021.jpg

Oh, they are lovely! 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, sixlets said:

Kittens-12292021.jpg

Pretty boys ❤️

• Love 6
6 hours ago, sixlets said:

Kittens-12292021.jpg

How beautiful! Congrats. They are so lucky to have found you. 

• Love 5

Are any others up early in NC due to storms? I’ve been up about an hour listening to such heavy rain that it’s scaring me. I’m not in flood zone, but it feels like it.  There doesn’t seem to be any relief for a while.  I’m really nervous.  

• Love 1