Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

The torrential rain seems to be dissipating, thank goodness.  Man, that was stressful.  Now, if no trees come down, I’ll just wait for the snow.  From 70s to 20s within 24 hrs! Still have power….so far.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Are any others up early in NC due to storms? I’ve been up about an hour listening to such heavy rain that it’s scaring me. I’m not in flood zone, but it feels like it.  There doesn’t seem to be any relief for a while.  I’m really nervous.  

I'm in the coastal plain, and the weather here is downright eerie this morning.  I'd rather it be raining than this calm with yellow skies.  I feel like I'm waiting for something and that something aint good.

I made it to my parents house.  Snowing like crazy…..they are far north enough that it’s snowing like crazy!  It’s pretty.  Such drastic weather conditions within a short time.  I think we’re about done, thank goodness.  

Ohiopirate02, I know what you mean about those yellow skies.  A few years ago it was snowing and lightning at the same time!  (Are you an ECU fan?)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

A few years ago it was snowing and lightning at the same time!  (Are you an ECU fan?)

Thundersnow (as the meteorologists here refer to it) is my favorite. So weird to have thunder, lightning and snow all at the same time. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I made it to my parents house.  Snowing like crazy…..they are far north enough that it’s snowing like crazy!  It’s pretty.  Such drastic weather conditions within a short time.  I think we’re about done, thank goodness.  

Ohiopirate02, I know what you mean about those yellow skies.  A few years ago it was snowing and lightning at the same time!  (Are you an ECU fan?)

I got my undergrad at ECU.  

• Love 2

I was just talking to my aunt about how much snow she got the state closed the schools today and she got a quarter inch of snow.  I remember when I was in school if you could open the front door then you had school. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Late Happy New Year 🎊 to everyone. I just did 5 days off the grid (no devices of any kind were allowed. No cable, phone, Wi-Fi, or tv) and connected to family. 
I’m in love with all the new kitties that were adopted and so happy for y’all. 
I hope this coming year brings everyone some kind of happiness, good health and hopefully we will have great snark and sharing here in our Prayer Closet. 💝

• Love 18

Thanks so much for all of the kitty love!!  They are the youngest cats I've ever had, and their energy level is off the charts.  Mr. Six was supposed to go into the office today after a 12-day vacation, but we got hit with the nasty weather system overnight.  At home, we only had 1-1.5" of snow, but his office is in another county that got hit pretty hard.  I read somewhere Annapolis had nearly 6" of snow, which is a lot for them from one storm.  They also had a tornado this past summer, so not the best luck.  We went from 65* yesterday to a high of 30* today. 
@SunnyBeBe-so glad to hear you are safe.  I have a lot of family and friends in different areas of North Carolina, and all of them were saying there was something odd about this storm.  I hope you can at least enjoy the snow a bit!

• Love 10

Well I called the microwave wave company and they said they would be out Wednesday to either fix it or replace it. I was kidding but I asked them if they had an extended warranty in case the router attacked the new microwave she didn't know but she said she will call me Tuesday to see what the extended warranty covers. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

Just throwing this out there.  The microwave would be covered by a whole house warranty, if you decided to go that way.  That would cover almost everything that goes out.  At my old house,  my dish washer was repaired a couple of times and it also paid for the parts.  They also replaced a microwave.  They replaced the stove in my brother's house.  They cost a bit, but the security is nice to have.  You pay a monthly premium and a service charge, but they pay for repairs or replacement.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

Just throwing this out there.  The microwave would be covered by a whole house warranty, if you decided to go that way.  That would cover almost everything that goes out.  At my old house,  my dish washer was repaired a couple of times and it also paid for the parts.  They also replaced a microwave.  They replaced the stove in my brother's house.  They cost a bit, but the security is nice to have.  You pay a monthly premium and a service charge, but they pay for repairs or replacement.

I have a whole house warranty but I am going to use the microwave warranty because it is only 6 months old. 

• Love 2

OMGosh.. I actually caught up on all the Duggar forums. 😁

I tried going to another show's forum (on PTV) for a show I used to watch years ago, but holy 💩 it's like a war between posters over there.

Makes me super glad we behave over here.

So uncomfortable to read with everyone  bickering at each other. 

Ps I did find a nice forum for the new Beatles documentary on Disney +... is anyone else watching that? 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Well I called the microwave wave company and they said they would be out Wednesday to either fix it or replace it. I was kidding but I asked them if they had an extended warranty in case the router attacked the new microwave she didn't know but she said she will call me Tuesday to see what the extended warranty covers. 

I’m blaming everything that goes wrong in my life on my router now. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Years ago when I visited my grandmother in Wisconsin I would drive past the prison in Portage.  I always had a creepy feeling during the time Jeffrey Dahmer was imprisoned there.

I went to grad school at Kent State and worked as a pharmacy technician at that time.  I was working in a nearby town, and we had this really sweet old lady as a patient.  She liked to gab while calling in her prescription refills since she was homebound.  One day we get to talking and she proceeds to tell me that she used to volunteer at a suicide prevention hotline.  One night she had a very strange call, in her own words it was weird, and she came to find out the caller was Jeffrey.  

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I went to grad school at Kent State and worked as a pharmacy technician at that time.  I was working in a nearby town, and we had this really sweet old lady as a patient.  She liked to gab while calling in her prescription refills since she was homebound.  One day we get to talking and she proceeds to tell me that she used to volunteer at a suicide prevention hotline.  One night she had a very strange call, in her own words it was weird, and she came to find out the caller was Jeffrey.  

Whoa…

I'll stick with the battery one thank you.   It's the first thing I change when I have trouble with the remote.   I did that once and it still didn't work.   Only to find out it was the OLD firestick remote that Hubby had left on the coffee table while keeping the NEW one next to him on the side table.   The old one is now in the drawer with all the old electronics (it took a little over a year to get it in the drawer soooo).   

• LOL 9

Well I just had some fun.  I  got a new microwave and after he installed it he went to the router and gave it hell. Also he gave me the warranty on the microwave and wrote in damage to microwave from router included. 

Edited by Rabbittron
  • LOL 15

My can opener stopped working on Monday, then today my toaster wouldn't work. I was all set to blame the router when I realized it was the outlet. My router killed my outlet!

• LOL 15

Nice to see the new adoptions! Very cute kitties. I think we will probably get another one at some point, but hope that Cora (the kitty in my avatar) approves. It took her a long time to stop attacking the porch door when PorchCat (our outdoor, semi-feral girl) moved in under the deck, and she and Onyx tolerated each other, but were not friends. He was already here when we got Cora, and sort of took her in stride for the most part. I think she might be OK with a male kitten - her old paperwork suggests that she may have had a litter of kittens when she was in her first rescue (her name was Mama), and she does show some maternal sorts of gestures even though she's about 17 years old. She likes to pin down your hand with her paw and give it a good bath, for one thing. Anyway, I think she'd be better with a younger kitten than otherwise, though given that she was about 10 when we got her, I'm in no way against an older cat. 

I don't remember whether I mentioned that my younger son, who just bought a house a couple of months ago, adopted a bonded pair of older cats. He says the staff at the rescue just lit up when he came in looking for a bonded pair. He named them Basil and Sybil 😁 (Fawlty).

In other news, My daughter and family appear to have come down with Covid. My son-in-law tested positive after they were over our place for my birthday the other day, and while my daughter was unable to find a test, she started feeling bad shortly thereafter. She says the kids are clearly not feeling 100%, and are running slight fevers but otherwise seem mostly unbothered. She also says that their fevers broke later today, and she hopes the worst is behind them. They were both vaccinated but not yet boosted, and Mr Jyn, my mom and I all vaccinated and boosted. We have had no symptoms as yet, and are quarantining. 

The most annoying thing - my daughter was venting to me earlier, is that last month, her daughter had to quarantine from preschool for two weeks, and now that she is actually sick, they won't let her back until the 24th, yet full tuition is still charged for the whole time. That just doesn't seem right, but it seems to be the way the preschools have to run it. She's feeling on the verge of yanking her out of school, but she'll need to be somewhere after my daughter's maternity leave ends at the beginning of February...

Oh, and since my mom was also exposed to it, she had to cancel the doctor's appointment that she had been fighting to schedule since November, and now has to wait until Feb 9th. Which is her 88th birthday.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 4

hello everyone. its been a while. you may recall i was out of town. we flew to texas to surprise our grandkids on christmas morning. it was worth the hassle to see the looks on all the faces!  we had a lovely week visit and did all outdoor activities. saw a few masks worn in town but not many. it was beautiful shorts weather all week. then, on new years day we prepared to fly home. it was mid 70's outside, right? we arrived at the airport early and it was 72+ outside. by the time our flight took off about 3 hours later it was less than 40 degrees outside and they got snow by the next morning. we dodged a bullet there. 

home now, celebrated second christmas on sunday with our local kids and then spent monday and tuesday de-christmasing the house and rearranging furniture. today -- i am toast! still have a lot of junk to organize and clean put but hey, i started!

so glad to be here reading all your updates. and for good measure - i shut my thumb in the two french doors of my refrigerator and now i have a black/blue thumbnail peeking out from the edge of my polish and it hurts a bit.  

ps: so far my household is all healthy!!!

• Love 14

I was just at the grocery store and when I checked out, the clerk saw the (recent) photos of my kids that I have in my wallet.  They are in the mid to late 20s.  She asked whether they were my grandchildren . . . .  I have decided to laugh rather than cry. 

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I was just at the grocery store and when I checked out, the clerk saw the (recent) photos of my kids that I have in my wallet.  They are in the mid to late 20s.  She asked whether they were my grandchildren . . . .  I have decided to laugh rather than cry. 

For YEARS people always thought I was my Mom’s grandchild. We escaped that about 5yrs ago. (When I was about 30) My Mom has used a cane for several years due to issues with her knees but does not look older than her 73yrs. 

In situations like that people should just say “what lovely photos” or “what gorgeous smiles”- don’t assume people’s relationship to each other. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

so glad to be here reading all your updates. and for good measure - i shut my thumb in the two french doors of my refrigerator and now i have a black/blue thumbnail peeking out from the edge of my polish and it hurts a bit.  

Welcome back, @zoomama! It seems you have not escaped the router scourge. Dusting your router often and saying sorry in your most sincere voice will sometimes appease it.

• LOL 8

Welcome back zoomama.  Glad you had such a great trip and family celebrations.  

Jynnan tonnix, sorry to see your family has covid.  I hope it’s not too severe on them.  
Good idea that you’re quarantining, just in case. 

And Happy Belated Birthday to you!!!! 🥳🎈🎂  Celebrating birthdays can be so challenging right now. 

Speaking of birthdays, mine is Friday and I’m getting what I really wanted!  My bed and mattress are going to be delivered…….FINALLY!!!  I’ve had no luck tracking it so was shocked when I got the confirmation of time for delivery tomorrow!  Now, I’m on a mission for new sheets.  It’s not easy…….

• Love 10
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Jynnan tonnix, sorry to see your family has covid.  I hope it’s not too severe on them.  

And Happy Belated Birthday to you!!!! 🥳🎈🎂  Celebrating birthdays can be so challenging right now. 

Speaking of birthdays, mine is Friday and I’m getting what I really wanted!  My bed and mattress are going to be delivered…….FINALLY!!!  I’ve had no luck tracking it so was shocked when I got the confirmation of time for delivery tomorrow!  Now, I’m on a mission for new sheets.  It’s not easy…….

PotteryBarn and Company Store are my go to for sheets. 

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Red Land cotten makes wonderful sheets. Nice ,crisp cotten. They are made entirely here in the United States if that makes a difference.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I second The Company Store, specifically the cotton percale sheets. I only like crisp cotton sheets (no satin, jersey or bamboo) and these are the best. 

I enjoy their cotton percale sheets and their jersey sheets (I LOVE jersey sheets). Their monograming is EXCELLENT and the color saturation is to my tastes.

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I enjoy their cotton percale sheets and their jersey sheets (I LOVE jersey sheets). Their monograming is EXCELLENT and the color saturation is to my tastes.

They also wear really well.  Mine are a few years old and still look good as new.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My problem is that the sheets I’ve ordered aren’t available and when I’ve looked in stores it’s all polyester.  But, good news!  My bed and mattress were delivered!  I hope I like it.  I have 90 days to decide.  I’ll make do with the sheets I have. I just thought new sheets would have been nice.  

• Love 5

Bed Bath and Beyond has some really nice cotton sheets.  Very nice quality.  Boll and Branch sheets are very nice, but very soft and kind of expensive.

Edited by CalicoKitty
Added more info
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Fosca said:

Do the flannel sheets wear well?  In the past the ones I've bought elsewhere have always pilled really quickly.

Look for sheets labeled VELVET flannel.  They are so soft and cozy and don't pill,  I have some from Company Store that are around 5 years old and look new.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I tried the nice fuzzy sheets.  I liked them, but my cat did not.  She started peeing on the bed just to let me know how much she hated them.  Problem solved when I put my regular cotton sheets back on the bed.  She likes to sleep under the covers, and just didn't like the fuzzy sheets.  She likes the fuzzy blanket, but the sheets were a definite no-go.  At least it was an easy fix to the problem.

• LOL 8

When we got our Sleep Number bed years ago, we also added a set of their Lyocell (sp?) sheets, and quickly became our favorites.  

Welcome back @zoomama!!  Glad to hear you beat the bad weather.  It was very rough in parts of Virginia with people being trapped 18 hours on I95.  Mr. Six has traveled that section many times for job sites.

I'm having a physically, mentally, and emotionally rough day.  It's all regarding one of my prescirptions.  Without going into personal details, I have one that I need to continually take-without any breaks-and the dosage I need has been on backorder through the pharmacy distribution companies.  I've been trying to get it since 12/20, and they are still having problems.  My alternative is a giant mess that will invovle needed a prior-authorization from the insurance company, and I don't know if the timing will work out for that.  And, finally, what's not to say that other pharmacies are not having the same issues with it being backordered.  I'm literally going into panic mode right now.  I will take any good mojo, juju, thoughts and/or prayers.  In my panic, I'm also desperate.  And scared.😞

• Love 3

I’m so sorry Sixlets.  Sending well wishes and positive thoughts your way. I hope you can get the meds you need real soon.  That must be very scary.  I wonder if your insurance company has a patient advocate that can assist you. 

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, sixlets said:

When we got our Sleep Number bed years ago, we also added a set of their Lyocell (sp?) sheets, and quickly became our favorites.  

Welcome back @zoomama!!  Glad to hear you beat the bad weather.  It was very rough in parts of Virginia with people being trapped 18 hours on I95.  Mr. Six has traveled that section many times for job sites.

I'm having a physically, mentally, and emotionally rough day.  It's all regarding one of my prescirptions.  Without going into personal details, I have one that I need to continually take-without any breaks-and the dosage I need has been on backorder through the pharmacy distribution companies.  I've been trying to get it since 12/20, and they are still having problems.  My alternative is a giant mess that will invovle needed a prior-authorization from the insurance company, and I don't know if the timing will work out for that.  And, finally, what's not to say that other pharmacies are not having the same issues with it being backordered.  I'm literally going into panic mode right now.  I will take any good mojo, juju, thoughts and/or prayers.  In my panic, I'm also desperate.  And scared.😞

Hugs and good positive thoughts. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Fosca said:

Do the flannel sheets wear well?  In the past the ones I've bought elsewhere have always pilled really quickly.

PotteryBarn (also PBTeen) have these amazing “cool flannel” sheets. You get the warmth of the flannel but you don’t get “stuck” and they don’t pill! 

My sister gets her sheets changed/washed DAILY and her Grinch Flannel Pottery Barn sheets lasted SEVEN YEARS before they fell a part. Those were her absolute favorite and she was so happy to open a new set for Christmas this year.  

• Love 4